Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Sadly a rarity now when someone self reflects and mans up and realizes it isn't always someone elses fault.

It's good to see. So: is this good to see?

1966 Chevrolet Biscayne · Sedan · Driven 100,000 kilometers

66 chev biscayne. 350. 3 speed stardard

$2500 cdn

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Imperador, I would tell them thanks, and good luck, I don't need to know what goes on from here.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wow that is not where I expected things to go, that is much better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I would have blocked that dude along time ago

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah probably found out he didn't have a leg to stand on legally and came to his senses. I would likely also block him or not respond anymore.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

I would have blocked that dude along time ago

I thought about it but I wanted to see if he’d remain on his bullshit. I’m not going to respond, and good luck to him but I honestly don’t give a poo poo what happens now.

I think he either realized he had no legal ground to stand on, couldn’t afford a lawyer anyway, or was talked down off the ledge by someone more rational in the family. Maybe a combination of all three. Who knows, who cares I guess. It just came out of nowhere when I was at work and I had to stop myself from busting out laughing in the hospital.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Probably came off a bender tbh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nebakenezzer posted:

$2500 cdn

I’d probably pay $2500 for that if it’s solid. Possibly even US$2500.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

$2500 cdn

I'm definitely stupid enough to buy that for $2500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Manual steering, manual brakes, V8.

It's got everything you need!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

And nothing you don't!

I'd like to see that car after an afternoon detailing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Not to mention single circuit.

:getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not to mention single circuit.

:getin:

To be fair, there isn't much difference between failed single circuit and working manual 4 wheel drums.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

To be fair, there isn't much difference between failed single circuit and working manual 4 wheel drums.

Hey, manual drums stop great.

Once.

They'd lock the tires up in a hard stop on my old Nova so I figure they gotta be good enough, right? :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would be buying that Chevy after a thorough rust inspection. Then get a junkyard 5.3 swap along with the wire harness. Those vehicles are so old and well documented, you can upgrade every single component with something later and better from a junkyard. Like power steering and disk brakes

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Yep, the driver’s side floor looks like a home made patch panel, more rusty evils probably lurk. It also looks like they left a wide open hole in the trans tunnel converting it from three-on-the-tree to floor shift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably came off a bender tbh.

Or his wife found out it failed inspection and now they have to pay $$$$ in order to get it on the road in addition to what they already paid for it, she flipped out on him so he had to blame it on the seller :v:

I've seen that before, my dumbass brother in law bought a minivan in NY that had bad rust issues that caused it to fail, he was too ignorant to notice the front strut mounts under the hood were completely hosed. When I saw it I was shocked....Like how the gently caress do you not notice that? any way his wife flipped out on him and it was pretty funny,

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hey guys, got a question. I've been burdened with selling a car for another family member. Is there somewhere in AI where I can get some advice on selling it? I've sold cars for scrap but not normal private sales, and thanks to...things, it has some complexity that I genuinely don't know what to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hey guys, got a question. I've been burdened with selling a car for another family member. Is there somewhere in AI where I can get some advice on selling it? I've sold cars for scrap but not normal private sales, and thanks to...things, it has some complexity that I genuinely don't know what to do.

Bring it to the closest carmax.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Motronic posted:

Bring it to the closest carmax.

Rural Canada, it is not an option. Good suggestion, tho.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 14, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rural Canada, it is not an option. Good suggestion, tho.

Kajiji seems to be a fairly popular spot in Canada. Note all the stuff you know is wrong with it, list it "as is" a bit below expected market price, and foist it off on whomever shows up first with cash.

If the complexity involves the vehicle title, you need to straighten that out before you can do anything with it, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nebakenezzer posted:

Give the story so people know how to help you. Otherwise there's not much point in asking.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Deteriorata posted:

If the complexity involves the vehicle title, you need to straighten that out before you can do anything with it, though.

Thankfully I knew that much, at least. [Ugh, gentlemen, there's so much family drama, and frankly, mental illness as a background to this. I agreed to sell this thing as it'd 1) reduce family stress and 2) my older sister, the other sane one, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so obviously I feel this would help her out, if only because my patients are with her right now in another province and my deeply neurotic parental magpies settle the gently caress down can only help her. So if you read something that is crazy or dumb, know that I agree and I thought so at the time, and if you come from a family that is a net drain on your sanity, you learn how to step into the background when you know goddamn well the heedless motherfuckers are not going to listen to you.]

The title is right now in my younger sister's hands, and she's in another province. I've said I want the title transferred to me, and got a not at all encouraging "well people sell cars in other provinces like dealerships and stuff" all the time from my dad. I hope it is getting sorted, as I've not looked up the rules in my province of Newfoundland yet, but am pretty sure selling a car when the title holder is elsewhere is in fact a big ask in the "couple thou unsuspected" market.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thankfully I knew that much, at least. [Ugh, gentlemen, there's so much family drama, and frankly, mental illness as a background to this. I agreed to sell this thing as it'd 1) reduce family stress and 2) my older sister, the other sane one, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so obviously I feel this would help her out, if only because my patients are with her right now in another province and my deeply neurotic parental magpies settle the gently caress down can only help her. So if you read something that is crazy or dumb, know that I agree and I thought so at the time, and if you come from a family that is a net drain on your sanity, you learn how to step into the background when you know goddamn well the heedless motherfuckers are not going to listen to you.]

The title is right now in my younger sister's hands, and she's in another province. I've said I want the title transferred to me, and got a not at all encouraging "well people sell cars in other provinces like dealerships and stuff" all the time from my dad. I hope it is getting sorted, as I've not looked up the rules in my province of Newfoundland yet, but am pretty sure selling a car when the title holder is elsewhere is in fact a big ask in the "couple thou unsuspected" market.

If you don't physically have the title in your hands, you can't sell it, period - part of the sale process is signing the title over to the new owner.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is not a "complexity", it's a deal killer. You don't own the car: you can't sell it. You don't even have the title: you can't sell it. You can't even get a replacement title because you don't own the car.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Suburban Dad posted:

Give the story so people know how to help you. Otherwise there's not much point in asking.

True.

The car in question is a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, 186,000 km. It runs and drives quite well, and is the first year of the DOHC 3.3L V6. Air conditioning works. Has a lot of features. The issue is that it needs a undefined amount of work, not a lot, to make inspection. It should really have its valve cover gasket replaced as well. It lived its life in New Brunswick, so it has less rust than an NL car of similar age. Cosmetically outside it has small flaws. Inside it just needs to be cleaned properly. It has had lots of work done on it with lots of stuff replaced.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Motronic posted:

This is not a "complexity", it's a deal killer. You don't own the car: you can't sell it. You don't even have the title: you can't sell it.

This is what I told my father; good to hear for sure.

vvv lol, also my instinct

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also, the car sounds nearly worthless.

This is a fools errand. Tell them you withdraw your offer to help with this particular thing and move on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

If you don't physically have the title in your hands, you can't sell it, period - part of the sale process is signing the title over to the new owner.
Not sure how it is in canada, but in some states, an owner can fill out and sign the sale portion of the title and it will be accepted for transfer and registration.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

If they won't listen to you tell them to deal with it then. Sounds like you need to post a thread in e/n as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If they won't listen to you tell them to deal with it then. Sounds like you need to post a thread in e/n as well.

Probably

Thanks guys. Sometimes all you need is other people to tell you your gut is in fact correct.

PS> Maybe trade it for that Biscayne

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Also, the car sounds nearly worthless.

This is a fools errand. Tell them you withdraw your offer to help with this particular thing and move on.

Used car prices are so insane it is probably worth $8,000 loonies on the private party market. Without the title though you can't do anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Used car prices are so insane it is probably worth $8,000 loonies on the private party market. Without the title though you can't do anything.

He can sell it under the table to some bank robbers but that may not help the overall situation.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

quote:

CHEVETTE so rare fb does not have a check for this fantastic vette

RWD, MANUAL 4 SPEED

CHEVETTE Runs drives I have owned it for 10 years..project that's not going to happen. It's all 80s GM crap can. But so fun to flog...great gambler HX POTENTIAL

Photos speak to condition. Comes with hyd drift brake, new waterpump and front pads, eBay overfenders.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/134298615525574

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Nitrox posted:

Not sure how it is in canada, but in some states, an owner can fill out and sign the sale portion of the title and it will be accepted for transfer and registration.

All the titles I, personally, have seen (Alaska and now Utah) have a sale portion on the back. Get the seller to sign it and mail the title; it can go anywhere after that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is extremely my flavor of stupid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

My Cutlass was manual drums when I got it, but at least it had power steering. It was... very entertaining to stop sometimes. That lasted 3 weeks, at which time I T-boned a lady making an ill-advised left turn across traffic. I broke the piston in the master cylinder, apparently. While we were replacing the front sheetmetal from that, we threw in a power disc setup for a Chevelle dad had handy.

MrYenko posted:

This is extremely my flavor of stupid.

Kinda hated those back when they were common, but now...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Now we have modern parts in the junkyard that could be adopted to make it a much better vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Jag has less kms, therefore will be more reliable. Get the Jag.

Also…Why has the civic been repainted? Suspicious. Definitely get the Jag.