Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just finished buddy simulator 1984, one of the latest entries in the undertale/pony island "a game is self-aware and a little spooky" subgenre. the idea's become played out but the underlying architecture of the game itself is really well-done and it doesn't outstay its welcome, unless you want it to, which i don't

definitely worth the tenbux i spent on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Aphex- posted:

Apart from Watch Dogs Legion which I didn't play because it looked garbage, what other games are set in modern Britain?

There's a level in Modern Warfare 3. Some point and click adventure games. And of course Bloodborne.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I figured it out guys. The game that would make you drive through modern Britain a bajillion times.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 includes UK.

You're welcome.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

dunno if anyone here was on the edge of their seats over boyfriend dungeon but it’s, fine

the dungeon gameplay is worse hades; while it can feel fun to smash crowds of enemies and it’s cool to unlock new weapon mechanics as you hang out with them, the game isn’t demanding enough for you to notice half the effects you unlock, and also not tight enough to make you wish there was more difficult content

the characters are also a mixed bag; quality varies heavily between the (pretty short) routes leaving some feeling a lot more complete and coherent than others. the one where you literally just hang out with a cat is probably the best written, take from that what you will

the game also feels incomplete - there are only two dungeons, and two of the stretch goal characters aren’t even in the game yet. (One literally introduces himself and then leaves the game five seconds later, which is hilarious for all the wrong reasons)

despite this post being mostly complaints i had fun with the game - but it’s short and mostly shallow. I 100% completed it in seven hours and can’t recommend it full-price pre-update

the main plot also involves the main character being stalked and harassed by an awful dude so not everyone’s cup of tea there

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yo, check out the demo for Cultic on Steam if your into Blood

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

AMID EVIL - The Black Labyrinth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NVVh8W_3FM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sick

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's nothing on how long it's gonna be, right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

but WHEN

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Says so right there in the video, SOONTM

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pentyne posted:

Always Sometimes Monsters: Looks interesting, but completely failed to engage me after 10 mins. The RPGmaker-ish aesthetic is hard for me to get past, and while the game seems to have quite a lot of praise and love for its story and writing, I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it really is a great story but the plot and the subject matter are something I really can't enjoy or get into. The whole idea of chasing down your ex to win them back when they're about to get married is....problematic to me. I get the impression there's more complexity to that, but with all games available to me to play I'm not going to play one like this.

Oh boy, I met the dev of this game at a house party the last Xmas before covid and boy was he a weirdo. He was very vehement that age of consent laws. meant that having sex with 16 year olds was a reasonable choice for a grown adult.

Doesn't surprise me that his game is also about being a fuckin creep lol.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

Did you get Kilver yet? (green short range ball that goes through walls) It is the best and strongest weapon in the game.

Kilver is the sole reason I put in “situational”. I still like having the default gun but Kilver is legitimately great for knifefight range.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lone Goat posted:

Oh boy, I met the dev of this game at a house party the last Xmas before covid and boy was he a weirdo. He was very vehement that age of consent laws. meant that having sex with 16 year olds was a reasonable choice for a grown adult.

Doesn't surprise me that his game is also about being a fuckin creep lol.

ASM/the sequel SAM are incredibly cursed games that would make an excellent discussion topic I keep wanting to write about except I'd have to play them to completion, and those games are a grudge-gently caress at the best of times, much less the parts designed to be painful.

edit: am I mixing up the order? Christ I hate those names

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 14, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

ASM/the sequel SAM are incredibly cursed games that would make an excellent discussion topic I keep wanting to write about except I'd have to play them to completion, and those games are a grudge-gently caress at the best of times, much less the parts designed to be painful.

edit: am I mixing up the order? Christ I hate those names

It's Always Sometimes Monsters as the first game.

It had a bunch of Canadian writing awards from 2014 and had that indie darling energy, but gave off a weird vibe given the plot and how multiple reviewers were like "the ending is weird as gently caress" about how of you don't win your ex back you automatically get a "bad" ending.

quote:

Always Sometimes Monsters

Out of money and out of luck you find yourself heart broken and on the verge of collapse. Your landlord's taken the key back, you can't finish your manuscript, and your beloved is marrying someone else. With no choice but to handle whatever life throws at you, you set out on the open road on a mission to win back the love of your life. The story from there is up to you. Can your life be salvaged, or are we always sometimes monsters?

Choice
A story-driven experience focusing on relationships and emotional bonds rather than traditional RPG combat and adventuring. Indecision is your enemy and empathy is your weapon in a quest to earn one last chance to win back the love of your life.

Circumstance
Choose from characters of different gender, race, and sexual preference and live through the common experiences and unique hardships of each based on your selection. NPCs may treat you differently based on your gender, race, or sexual preference opening and closing different paths along the way.

Consequence
Each playthrough is filled with a staggering number of diverging paths that can be discovered through both overt actions and subtle choices in conversation. The journey you experience will be tailored to your personal ethical compass as your decisions both conscious and subconscious change your fate.

Mature Content Warning
Always Sometimes Monsters deals with serious stuff, depending on your choices. Including strong language, racist, homophobic, and transphobic language, drug / alcohol use, nudity, violence, and extreme subject matter.

quote:

Sometimes Always Monsters is a narrative roleplaying life simulator filled with choices.

You play a recently married author who joins a cross-country bus tour to promote your next upcoming novel. Along the way, you hear about vicious rumours claiming you're a total fraud.

As you journey through five unique cities, meet fans and critics alike, and make friends with your fellow busmates, it'll be your choices that help unravel the conspiracy laid against you.

Roleplay Creatively as you navigate the life of your character. In addition to countless dialogue choices, you'll decide how you want to live. Whether you like being a diligent workaholic, or prefer the route of a relaxed layabout, the choice is entirely up to you.

Import Save Files from Always Sometimes Monsters to continue your story, no matter how tragic or triumphant your ending may have been. Your entire continuity will be carried over.

Build Relationships with your spouse, friends, and more. Learn how to manage the demands of various social relationships as you maintain a life in the spotlight, and reach for your goals.

Decline Anything you don't want to do. Nearly all of the game's content is optional, including the entirety of the primary narrative. You're truly in control of the story, with a right to refusal.

Mature Content Warning
Always Sometimes Monsters deals with serious stuff, depending on your choices. Including strong language, racist, homophobic, and transphobic language, drug / alcohol use, nudity, violence, and extreme subject matter.

Just something about the theme and overall presentation puts my teeth on edge.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 14, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The music in AV2 is so, so good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ugh I reinstalled Men of War Assualt Squad 2 and now I'm getting access violations everytime I launch it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mordja posted:

Ugh I reinstalled Men of War Assualt Squad 2 and now I'm getting access violations everytime I launch it

Are you running afterburner? It has weird interactions apparently.

Also that sounded *filthy*.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Kinda weird of Turtle Rock to make an Earthfall sequel

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, Hellpoint is such a weird game. I've been playing through it over the past week, and the art & sound direction are so good that I really wish the gameplay had been anything other than a janky souls clone. With all the platforming and hidden stuff it could almost have worked as a straight metroidvania, although I find it so brain-breakingly hard to navigate as-is that I'd hate to see it with more explicit navigational roadblocks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HopperUK posted:

Are you running afterburner? It has weird interactions apparently.

Also that sounded *filthy*.

Nope I saw that, it's not that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And that is Axion Verge the First Done and Dusted, with the additional ending scene. Not going to lie, there is a quite a bit of annoying poo poo and the final boss is terrible, but all in all a really good game.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 15, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-appears-to-be-real-and-comi-1847474620

:stare:

Oh my God if they don't try to "improve" the writing on San Andreas and just update all the graphics and keep the music and don't do anything else just give me this Rockstar you owe me big time for... uhh... gently caress it who cares why, just do the right thing!

Grove Street 4Life :shobon:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Knew I had Axiom Verge on one of my many launchers. Must have been an EGS freebie at one point. Nice!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Jerusalem posted:

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-appears-to-be-real-and-comi-1847474620

:stare:

Oh my God if they don't try to "improve" the writing on San Andreas and just update all the graphics and keep the music and don't do anything else just give me this Rockstar you owe me big time for... uhh... gently caress it who cares why, just do the right thing!

Grove Street 4Life :shobon:

Kotaku wasn't sure which titles exactly are being remastered so I hope they're doing Vice City Stories & Liberty City Stories as part of this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ripper Swarm posted:

Kotaku wasn't sure which titles exactly are being remastered so I hope they're doing Vice City Stories & Liberty City Stories as part of this

I've never got to play those so that would be pretty great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

which one was "Kill all the Haitians", might want to take another pass at that

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

which one was "Kill all the Haitians", might want to take another pass at that

That was Vice City and they pulled it a long time ago. They already patched out music from San Andreas over licensing. Any remaster is probably going to lose more, and I'm sure plenty of other questionable dialog will likely get edited or cut.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 15, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Would be nice if they took one of the dozen remasters of GTA V and took out the transphobia, but given they're from TERF Island, I doubt they will

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh right I was also reminded of the name for their fake vespa and... yikes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Axiom Verge 2 gives you a compass really early on in the game but I didn't actually understand how to read it or what it meant until I looked it up after the end credits :eng99:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Risk of rain 2: do any of the Huntress's upgrades give her a heavy attack? I'm having trouble with my controller situation so I kind of need her auto-aim (not even a little bit of a aim assist in this game) but she just doesn't hit very hard

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mescal posted:

Risk of rain 2: do any of the Huntress's upgrades give her a heavy attack? I'm having trouble with my controller situation so I kind of need her auto-aim (not even a little bit of a aim assist in this game) but she just doesn't hit very hard

Yes the upgrade to her special is what you want, but the challenge to unlock it is pretty tough. You have to beat stage 3 without losing any hp, at all, the entire time you're there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished Axiom Verge 2

Superb music, great graphics, cool world building, interesting story that builds on what happened in the first game, however

What a loving obnoxious tease of an ending, what the hell man :mad:

Also my game actually crashed during the post credits scene, so I had to redo it. First I figured I'd just go check the tubes/streams and watch it that way...

... no one else has the cutscene I saw :psyduck:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I replayed it and finished it without crashing, cutscene played again after the credits. None of the videos I could find online displayed it. It was basically

a very small coda to the main story, but again... not a satisfying way to close out what was built up. Mixed feelings on the story as a whole because of this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Did you get a different ending due to 100% completion or something?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Did you get a different ending due to 100% completion or something?

Nope, and I went and poked around for 100% videos but couldn't find any. Every ending video I watched just went to the completion % screen - mine did the post credits video then the completion screen :psyduck:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

Would be nice if they took one of the dozen remasters of GTA V and took out the transphobia, but given they're from TERF Island, I doubt they will

you think it's like a disease or something in the water?

Terf poo poo started here because of 1) a popular forum called 'mumsnet' used by parents to get help bringing up their kids and 2) lots of money from American Evangelical sources

I don't think either will have influenced Rockstar much.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes the upgrade to her special is what you want, but the challenge to unlock it is pretty tough. You have to beat stage 3 without losing any hp, at all, the entire time you're there.

Not too hard if I can find a 3d printer for shielding. Thanks!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That’s like a running theme for Rockstar though, GTA4 had a ton of off-colour trans jokes that were duds even at the time. I remember young me playing it on release and being confused, thinking: “is this supposed to be funny?” “Why do they keep making these weird jokes, is there something I’m not getting?”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seanbaby summed up the "humor" in GTAV thusly but it applies to IV almost as well:

quote:

Each [joke] follows the same two-step structure: Clearly explain what it's mocking, then nothing else. It'd be almost sad if it wasn't so mean-spirited...GTA attacks with no wit. And when you mock something without wit, you're just a cranky bully.

there's not a single gag in the latter two GTA games that comes within a mile of the "I'm blind"..."No poo poo!" exchange between Woozy and CJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pinged the AV2 dev, apparently its based on item %, not total 100% across the board, so I guess I was close enough that it triggered, but the other videos I dug up didn't show it.

Strange for sure. Anyhow, good stuff.

For anyone who likes the general vibe (not necessarily the gameplay) of AV 1 and 2, check out Biomass on steam. It's rougher around the edges, but the world building is superb https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138960/Biomass/