Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, Hellpoint is such a weird game. I've been playing through it over the past week, and the art & sound direction are so good that I really wish the gameplay had been anything other than a janky souls clone.

I played about 14 hours of hell point and found the level design to be incredibly frustrating after a while with 20 minutes of backtracking if you go down the wrong hallway. The game had some cool ideas like the time cycle but the flaws sorta killed it for me. Also the weapons were boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

there's not a single gag in the latter two GTA games that comes within a mile of the "I'm blind"..."No poo poo!" exchange between Woozy and CJ

"They're fake."
"Amazing, you could tell just by feeling them?"
"No... why would he bring me chips and tell me there was a problem if they weren't fake?"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Regarde Aduck posted:

you think it's like a disease or something in the water?

Terf poo poo started here because of 1) a popular forum called 'mumsnet' used by parents to get help bringing up their kids and 2) lots of money from American Evangelical sources

I don't think either will have influenced Rockstar much.

Plus Rockstar are Scottish who are politically ahead of England in trans rights issues
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/26/scotland-self-id-law-consultation/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I thought Rockstar was based in Australia?

Which admittedly is still confusing because every Aussie I’ve met abroad is incredibly nice and laid back while their politicians are all lunatics.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fruits of the sea posted:

Which admittedly is still confusing because every Aussie I’ve met abroad is incredibly nice and laid back while their politicians are all lunatics.

Selection bias. Every single person you meet who is abroad themselves will end up being a bit nicer than their nations average.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

municipal shrimp posted:

I played about 14 hours of hell point and found the level design to be incredibly frustrating after a while with 20 minutes of backtracking if you go down the wrong hallway. The game had some cool ideas like the time cycle but the flaws sorta killed it for me. Also the weapons were boring.

Yeah, I'm maybe 11 hours in and I feel like I'm on the edge of quitting purely because of how frustrating I find travel: I genuinely cannot keep how the levels connect in my head, and with the weird breach synchronization crap I've spent more time looking for a fast travel point than actually playing.

Plus yeah, the combat kinda stinks. This might be my fault for doing things out of sequence but I went Arcology-Sohn-Port Issoudun, and the port felt like a brick to the face in terms of increase in difficulty. But once I finished it, Arisen/Atrium/Underside all felt trivially easy, so I keep wondering if I didn't accidentally sequence break in a weird way.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, I'm maybe 11 hours in and I feel like I'm on the edge of quitting purely because of how frustrating I find travel: I genuinely cannot keep how the levels connect in my head, and with the weird breach synchronization crap I've spent more time looking for a fast travel point than actually playing.

Plus yeah, the combat kinda stinks. This might be my fault for doing things out of sequence but I went Arcology-Sohn-Port Issoudun, and the port felt like a brick to the face in terms of increase in difficulty. But once I finished it, Arisen/Atrium/Underside all felt trivially easy, so I keep wondering if I didn't accidentally sequence break in a weird way.

That is what I have found so intriguing. You can potentially go to the port immediately after the tutorial zone or you can beat the game without ever having gone there.

I played this through in coop with a dagger/gun combo. Shields are also very useful especially against thespians .
You can get a "ring" in the arisen domain that increases your leech which gives you more "mana" back on weapon attacks. To fuel either your weapon arts, guns magic or most importantly the cube auto heal mod which gives constant Regen.
If you need more breech synthesizers you can use the black slabs with purple runes to head into the underworld where there are often some lying around.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

They opened another studio there but the original team people think of when they say Rockstar (people who made most of the GTA games) are Rockstar North, originally called DMA design and was based in Dundee and is now in Edinburgh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jerusalem posted:

"They're fake."
"Amazing, you could tell just by feeling them?"
"No... why would he bring me chips and tell me there was a problem if they weren't fake?"

I heard the voice as I read this.

Torino is another quotable dude.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I think the breaking point for me was an area that was all stair cases that went down suspended above this blue pit of plasma or something that took 30 minutes or so to work my way to the bottom of. Once I got down there I found a bonfire but then discovered there was nothing else there and I had to trek 30 minutes back up the the top to continue on the right way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These posts about breaches and grueling treks to bonfires with nothing there yet that you just need to backtrack from afterward could just as well be about Axiom Verge 2 :v:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

victrix posted:

Finished Axiom Verge 2

Superb music, great graphics, cool world building, interesting story that builds on what happened in the first game, however

What a loving obnoxious tease of an ending, what the hell man :mad:

Also my game actually crashed during the post credits scene, so I had to redo it. First I figured I'd just go check the tubes/streams and watch it that way...

... no one else has the cutscene I saw :psyduck:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I replayed it and finished it without crashing, cutscene played again after the credits. None of the videos I could find online displayed it. It was basically

a very small coda to the main story, but again... not a satisfying way to close out what was built up. Mixed feelings on the story as a whole because of this

yeah I completely agree about the plot, AV1 was a great self-contained story & you generally get the idea of what's actually going on even though there's some ambiguities remaining. AV2 just leaves a ton of things totally unresolved & is way less of a complete narrative on its own. its links to AV1 are also just vague enough to be a little frustrating because they raise way more questions than they answer. the dev did say that he plans for AV3 to tie 1 and 2 together more directly but that's still obviously going to be a long way off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

did we play a different AV1 or something? I thought its story was confusing as hell and the ending didn't help there, either

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For some reason everytime I see people itt posting about "AV2" my mind slips a "P" in there and I momentarily think they're talking about the 2001 Monolith game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

For some reason everytime I see people itt posting about "AV2" my mind slips a "P" in there and I momentarily think they're talking about the 2001 Monolith game.

Same.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

I would actually do incredibly foul things for an AVP1&2 remaster.

And I'd do even worse for a new game, I really wish AVP2010's multiplayer didn't just boil down to whoever used a grab attack first.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

did we play a different AV1 or something? I thought its story was confusing as hell and the ending didn't help there, either
The basics of the story are fairly straightforward (why Trace is in Sudra, who is Athetos, why Trace is tasked with encountering him) but the exact details of how Trace got there are a bit ambiguous.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

AvP2 was so good - separate levels for each character with their own weapons and abilities, asymmetrical multiplayer that was actually cool to play...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Palpek posted:

AvP2 was so good - separate levels for each character with their own weapons and abilities, asymmetrical multiplayer that was actually cool to play...

My first game with multi after ma got us broadband. I played so much dang tdm...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

big week of cool games:

Tetris Effect: Connected
12 Minutes
Mortal Shell
Recompile
Road 96
Greak
Humankind
Ambition: A Minuet in Power
Arietta of Spirits

and of course

Zool Remastered

(will the chupa chips still be there....)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What are the preliminary reports on "Humankind"

I could go for a new Civlike but gotta say the last I heard of it was them promoting "streamer character packs" which didn't bode well

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the preliminary reports on "Humankind"

I could go for a new Civlike but gotta say the last I heard of it was them promoting "streamer character packs" which didn't bode well

The thread for it is here

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lih posted:

yeah I completely agree about the plot, AV1 was a great self-contained story & you generally get the idea of what's actually going on even though there's some ambiguities remaining. AV2 just leaves a ton of things totally unresolved & is way less of a complete narrative on its own. its links to AV1 are also just vague enough to be a little frustrating because they raise way more questions than they answer. the dev did say that he plans for AV3 to tie 1 and 2 together more directly but that's still obviously going to be a long way off.

On the one hand, I theoretically like this because it indicates he has a plan laid out in his head for where it goes from here, and taken as a whole AV1-3 would make a complete story

On the other, it's a single dev, and it took six years between AV1 and 2, so uh... Kinda gently caress that in terms of leaving the story at an obvious cliffhanger

God drat was the Filter such a cool area though. More of that weirdness please.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Regarde Aduck posted:

you think it's like a disease or something in the water?
I think it's part of the culture which everyone is influenced by, telling them what is and isn't acceptable to put into their games.

https://www.engadget.com/gta-v-trans-ps5-xbox-series-x-representation-rockstar-180041678.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3W7_zhMdJA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
GTAV is full of disgusting misogyny in general and transphobia in particular.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Peep this imgur thread I found and see how many you even recognize:
https://imgur.com/a/EVtHnpJ

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Okay finally beat The Ascent with 18 hours logged, all sidequests done. For $30 I would've liked at least 10 more hours but overall the game was enjoyable.

It started out feeling pretty challenging, then once I got a good Electric Damage weapon the game just felt incredibly easy. Spiderbots and the Pocket Mech are OP; with Max Tactical you can refill your Gadget Gauge while in the Mech, and then immediately just summon a fresh one once it despawns virtually turning this game into isometric Titanfall. I really would have liked a skill tree of sorts, instead of just "these Augs scale based on <stat>". I thought the various special weapons were pretty fun and interesting, if usually bad. Maybe I'll respec and max out the Energy skill so I can use some of the more spammable Augments but overall the game didn't do a great job of letting me feel like a technowizard. Like your Cyberdeck being nothing more than "door & chest hacking level" felt pretty meaningless?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Peep this imgur thread I found and see how many you even recognize:

Man, Z was my poo poo back in the day.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

victrix posted:

On the one hand, I theoretically like this because it indicates he has a plan laid out in his head for where it goes from here, and taken as a whole AV1-3 would make a complete story

On the other, it's a single dev, and it took six years between AV1 and 2, so uh... Kinda gently caress that in terms of leaving the story at an obvious cliffhanger

God drat was the Filter such a cool area though. More of that weirdness please.

On the cliffhanger front:
It's strongly hinted from the last image in the credit scroll that our nano-copy of Indra becomes Ophelia from AV1, so we know she will eventually succeed in reaching A'ansur, and from there Sudra. It's not clear what happens to the drone kid though.

Pics:

AV2: AV1:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I got Synthetik for like 4 bucks during the last sale and I’m surprised how much of a hit it is for me. The default difficulty is *just right* to where I’m making steady progress and slowly getting better, but it’s not the kind of hell like FTL where my runs are seemingly entirely dependent on luck and being entirely mistake free.

The global chat is uniquely terrible though and reminds me a ton of gamers are bigoted, and not just because they use edgy slurs. I get lazy about switching it off every time I start the game but this time the “just asking questions” crowd got to me.

Anyway, great purchase.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Okay finally beat The Ascent with 18 hours logged, all sidequests done. For $30 I would've liked at least 10 more hours but overall the game was enjoyable.

It started out feeling pretty challenging, then once I got a good Electric Damage weapon the game just felt incredibly easy. Spiderbots and the Pocket Mech are OP; with Max Tactical you can refill your Gadget Gauge while in the Mech, and then immediately just summon a fresh one once it despawns virtually turning this game into isometric Titanfall. I really would have liked a skill tree of sorts, instead of just "these Augs scale based on <stat>". I thought the various special weapons were pretty fun and interesting, if usually bad. Maybe I'll respec and max out the Energy skill so I can use some of the more spammable Augments but overall the game didn't do a great job of letting me feel like a technowizard. Like your Cyberdeck being nothing more than "door & chest hacking level" felt pretty meaningless?

I tried the pocket mech and found it worthless because it has a fixed weapon that did much less damage than my regular one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Man, Z was my poo poo back in the day.

drat was that a good game, I really wish more games would use that production mechanic.

also filling an APC with rocket launchers was better than a straight tank in every single way

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Rockstar Games is an American company(itself a subsidiary of American company Take-Two interactive) that has subsidiaries in England, Scotland, Canada, etc.
Rockstar North the subsidiary responsible for the primary development of the GTA series is based in Scotland. Pretty much all large development is a complicated web of international studios and contractors working together anymore.

You're probably thinking of Team Bondi with La Noire. Rockstar Games was the publisher on that and some of their subsidiaries supported the development.

GTA V is exhaustingly mean-spirited and Michael is probably one of the worst characters I've ever played in a video game. Trevor is less bad because he is basically a cartoon character.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 16, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Trevor's a bad person but a good character. Michael's a bad character and a worse person. Franklin is also in the game.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

On the cliffhanger front:
It's strongly hinted from the last image in the credit scroll that our nano-copy of Indra becomes Ophelia from AV1, so we know she will eventually succeed in reaching A'ansur, and from there Sudra. It's not clear what happens to the drone kid though.

Pics:

AV2: AV1:

oh yeah this is one of the most obvious links but just raises way more questions than it answers. it seems possible that Sudra is actually the same place as The Emergence, so we don't actually know if she ever made it to A'ansur or if she's still trying by the time of AV1, it's not clear at all.

victrix posted:

the AV dev has said he has story outlines for 6-8 games total in the AV universe that form a grand narrative, so while 3 is planned to connect 1 & 2 together more I'm not expecting it will make a complete story

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The basics of the story are fairly straightforward (why Trace is in Sudra, who is Athetos, why Trace is tasked with encountering him) but the exact details of how Trace got there are a bit ambiguous.
yeah, while 2 never really explains what Dr. Hammond's whole deal is at all and Indra never accomplishes any of her original goals so it's pretty unsatisfying in that regard and just feels like setup for a future game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

lih posted:

the AV dev has said he has story outlines for 6-8 games total in the AV universe that form a grand narrative, so while 3 is planned to connect 1 & 2 together more I'm not expecting it will make a complete story

Okay, Yu Suzuki.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Some friends got me to try the back 4 blood beta for a bit and am I the only one that finds it super weird that you can punch a zombie while reloading your gun at the same time? Am I reloading it with my teeth or what?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you use perplexing genital contortions, obviously

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Triarii posted:

Some friends got me to try the back 4 blood beta for a bit and am I the only one that finds it super weird that you can punch a zombie while reloading your gun at the same time? Am I reloading it with my teeth or what?

It's so you can take no damage while moving and fighting and it's necessary on the harder difficulties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lih posted:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress that

Not because I don't like his games, very much the opposite - more that single dev-time is even more painful if he's looking at that kind of scale

Even if he makes millions off AV2 and decides to give up some personal creative control by building a studio, doing that would take ages

Granted, either way it'll take ages, so I guess it doesn't really matter much what he chooses to do does it? :v: