Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Which cast? The whole team are major supporting characters and the only other one is Dyma's secretary who talks about her in a few scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yeah I was going to say, the OG supporting cast in T get a ton to do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You get a lot of company characters with names that just show up for one scene.

And then there's the enemies recruited by Rudi Pixyzalto for one stage each.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I hope we get a character in 30 as fun as Rudi tbh.

KoB
May 1, 2009
i assume theyre referring to the factory workers that appear like once and not the mini-bridge crew.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KoB posted:

i assume theyre referring to the factory workers that appear like once and not the mini-bridge crew.

Yes, they get names and unique portraits, it's weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, they get names and unique portraits, it's weird.

It's to emphasize that Saizo and Sagiri are good bosses who remember everyone's name and appreciate that the pit crew matters just the same as the headliners.

The game's whole central thrust for the OG stuff is showing the difference between the good corporate culture that Project T3, Senpuuji, and Watta encourage and the bad corporate cultures the various villains encourage, and giving respect to people who'd normally be write-offs is part of that.

After all, the reason the protagonist knows Goldman is an rear end in a top hat is that he didn't remember people's names.

Also, just saw the Evangelion finale.

That's going to be a trip and a half when it's added to Super Robot Wars if they do it right.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So the Steam preorder lists regular, Digital Deluxe and Ultimate editions, but has no information what's in them. Has it been announced what the difference is?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Narsham posted:

So the Steam preorder lists regular, Digital Deluxe and Ultimate editions, but has no information what's in them. Has it been announced what the difference is?

The store page has bullet point lists of what’s in each edition.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Narsham posted:

IIRC, regular is just the game; digital deluxe is the game plus the DLC season pass; and ultimate is the game plus the DLC season pass and a bunch of vocal songs included in the package (the formerly Japanese-only "Premium Sound" version).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
And keep in mind the game will allow you to put in your own songs to some extent, so that can be considered a bit of a frill.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

And keep in mind the game will allow you to put in your own songs to some extent, so that can be considered a bit of a frill.

Wasn't not an option in the Steam releases?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Wasn't not an option in the Steam releases?
It wasn't in V at launch but it was in X and they patched it into V when X came out.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

It wasn't in V at launch but it was in X and they patched it into V when X came out.

Awesome, I was worried I wouldn't be add the Great Mazinger theme like I did in all the Playstation versions.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SRW 30 is on sale on GMG if you haven't already ordered it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I've pre-ordered dozens of games from GMG and their discounts are usually a good compromise for pre-ordering (since the games will usually not get an official discount that big until 6-9 months after release). I've never had any major issues with any of the keys I've bought from them, but they usually don't release them until a little later in the day on release day, so you might find yourself refreshing a web page to get your key if you want to play it as soon as it comes out. There's also been a little controversy around keys from resellers lately (even though GMG doesn't sell shady second hand keys, they're an official Steam reseller like Amazon or Humble Bundle) because a batch of keys from an old bundle were invalidated years after the fact by the dev or publisher. I think that got worked out but it still makes me a little uneasy about buying Steam keys from third party vendors since it seems like the devs have the ability to revoke them without involving Valve.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give us the Wunder the next time Evangelion comes around.

It's so cool.

Friendofdean
Aug 21, 2015
I'm pretty disappointed that we had 3 games in a row with Crossbone Gundam in it, and yet at no point did we ever have the Mother Vanguard. It's only been in 1 game, @2, and it would have fit in to T so well! And now we don't have Crossbone in 30, so it won't be there either.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm more disappointed there was no plot in any of the VTX games for Crossbone outside of Zabine/Dogatie in V, and they didn't even bring Zabine back for T

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Saint Freak posted:

Having never played one, would T be a good one to get? It looks like it has more series in it that would appeal to me than 30 will have. Or should I just wait for 30?

Also I have a PS5 (five) with a disc drive. Would buying a physical PS4 import copy be what I want to do/just work?

Thanks for the responses to this. T came in over the weekend and I started a little bit.

Lol at the tutorial being "press the touchpad to bring up the help screen, and you'll figure out the rest as you play". Strictly speaking it's probably not wrong, but still.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I do wonder why they were so allergic to doing anything meaningful with Crossbone despite using it in all three games of the trilogy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crossbone gundam has allied pilots that arent tobia and kincade too, but you wouldnt know from vtx

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It almost feels like they liked the Crossbone Gundams themselves more than the plot. It's kinda messed up when you claim a stage is adapting the Steel Seven when five of the pilots aren't even from Crossbone Gundam.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

if crossbone ever comes back, i hope they actually do the plot.

at least with 30 it looks like we'll get victory gundam plot

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Did they ever do the bikini bazooka babes episode as a stage in SRW because lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its strange because they gave astray a ton of focus and plot in w so its not a 'gundam manga' thing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Next time they have Evangelion they should do the One Year War at the same time. So teen Shinji can be friend with teen Amuro.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Endorph posted:

its strange because they gave astray a ton of focus and plot in w so its not a 'gundam manga' thing

W, in fact, is one of the most complete treatments Seed Astray has ever gotten in a video game and another reason I wish it could have come over back when.

I just have to assume the licensing is weird, and that it's easier to use "Tobia and Kincade alone" than it is to grab everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Next time they have Evangelion they should do the One Year War at the same time. So teen Shinji can be friend with teen Amuro.

Locking themselves in their rooms, having emotional breakdowns, talking about how bad their dads are... they're going to have a lot in common.

At least, until the timeskip.

(Also, the reason for so little Crossbone plot might be because Crossbone is bad, but the Crossbone Gundam is cool.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, the reason for so little Crossbone plot might be because Crossbone is bad, but the Crossbone Gundam is cool.)

While I know the Gundam thread loves repeating this, it makes no sense here. One of the reasons why SRW is known and loved is taking bad series and doing good things with them, after all.

(also Crossbone is good, but that's another debate entirely)

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The scope of Crossbone Skull Heart in V makes sense in context of how they use it around Yamato; getting the Mother Vanguard as a ship in the late game would have been cool, but Earth Fleet Tenku already has so many ships. Past that point it just felt like filler; Tobia's main narrative role in X was a less compelling version of what they did with Bellri and Char while his dynamic with Seabook and Cecily was underused because there wasn't much going on for F91 either, and in T they were let down by being Captain Harlock's pirate buddies but not in a way that tied into what T used Harlock for. There's definitely lots of potential for getting more out of the Crossbone series when it comes back, and at its worst it adds cool extra UC units without pilot-locked or Newtype-only attacks, but I am glad it's getting a break for at least 30.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Endorph posted:

It feels like they weren't really doing "post-plot" series at that time, or at least I don't remember any from J.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eeevil posted:

It feels like they weren't really doing "post-plot" series at that time, or at least I don't remember any from J.
j had like one stage of voltes plot and basically no combattler plot

and w had wing be post plot

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

W covered most of Endless Waltz in the first half, which is famous for the infinitely respawning Wufei boss during the final plot stage. Then, the second half of the game is post-plot (with a still living Mariemaia).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Eeevil posted:

They did them all the time. Or they just didn't do the plot at all or did some weird thing that also wasn't really plot. Like most series in A, and a lot of stuff in R. G Gundam was fully post-plot but had Master Asia resurrected as a minion of the OG enemies. Daitarn has basically never had its plot outside of an episode or two being adapted, and maybe having the big bad as an enemy.

EDIT: Hell, Wing's debut in Shin was plotless and it was a secret to get Heero and Zechs permanently.

AradoBalanga posted:

W covered most of Endless Waltz in the first half, which is famous for the infinitely respawning Wufei boss during the final plot stage. Then, the second half of the game is post-plot (with a still living Mariemaia).

Mariemaia did survive Wing so her living in SRW shouldn't be a surprise!

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 17, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual difference is the sereis lists in the gba/ds games were way smaller so they had to do most of the plots or they wouldnt, have a plot. like w has maybe 11 series (not counting separate seasons of the same thing, like fmp and fmp s2, as different series) and t has like 19.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Endorph posted:

Maybe they did it to mix things up? The bog-standard SEED plot had already been featured fairly thoroughly in a couple games by that point, and with Astray entering the series list, it gave them the opportunity to keep SEED as a major part of the storyline but do it from a different perspective rather than just following Kira the whole time again.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
How much did they do with Crossbone in Alpha 2?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Eeevil posted:

How much did they do with Crossbone in Alpha 2?

I think they did all of the original manga, but nothing beyond it.

Was Steel 7 still going on when Alpha 3 was released? It would have been a great series to add to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Willo567 posted:

I think they did all of the original manga, but nothing beyond it.

Was Steel 7 still going on when Alpha 3 was released? It would have been a great series to add to it

Steel 7 hadn't even started when Alpha 3 came out. Skull Heart was complete, but iirc that was just little mini adventures rather than a full thing like Crossbone or Steel 7. Granted, that'd still be more than Zeta, ZZ, CCA and 0083 had.