Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Claw imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Claw is always the answer.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Abc's always be clawing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Claw is law.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I took a get a random card start and got claw and was thinking I was going to just go for all claw all the time.

Never saw another claw that run.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

It's kinda the same deal as Pressure Points. If you can get like, three of them, it's freakin' great. But there's no guarantee you'll see another one ever again and then you just have this crappy card that does barely more damage than a strike and sometimes removes Artifact charges.

If there's any weaknesses in the card design of Slay the Spire, I'd say it's stuff like that. You kinda wish there was a way that picking certain situational things would make their other stuff more likely to show up or that there was more situations than Orrey and Question Card that gave you multiple cards at once.

Eh, that's part of what transformations are for.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
0 cost defect runs r the tits you cant tell me bringing out 3 claws, a beam, eye, another turbo etc from all 4 1 isnt fun. Its wicked fun. Hologram that all for one and bring it all back!!!! Awooooga

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Walla posted:

A Defect without orbs is perfectly viable though. Reprogram, Reinforced Body, Rip & Tear, Sweeping Beam. Plus Orange Pellets and Clockwork Souvenir exist.

Like, you're shooting yourself in one foot but you can still hop to the finish kind of viable but viable indeed.

You can win with the weirdest poo poo anyways. I just finished a goddamn juggernaut IC run where things somehow fell together thanks to runic pyramid of all things. Turns out juggernautx2, dark embrace, and fiend fire are quite the combo when you have a 10 card hand.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Got my first A20 heart kill! I almost died to Hexaghost and then Pandora's Box delivered some goods and no fight for the rest of the game was remotely close. Variance!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

VgameT posted:

Got my first A20 heart kill! I almost died to Hexaghost and then Pandora's Box delivered some goods and no fight for the rest of the game was remotely close. Variance!

Congrats! That deck is busted as hell.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Plasma orbs don't care about focus either so they go well with reprogram.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

trucutru posted:

Like, you're shooting yourself in one foot but you can still hop to the finish kind of viable but viable indeed.

You can win with the weirdest poo poo anyways. I just finished a goddamn juggernaut IC run where things somehow fell together thanks to runic pyramid of all things. Turns out juggernautx2, dark embrace, and fiend fire are quite the combo when you have a 10 card hand.

Fiend Fire, Pyramid and Charon's Ashes are how I got my first ever win with Ironclad. Busted as hell.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kiranamos posted:

It’s pretty simple, you just subscribe to them on the workshop (first getting ModtheSpire, BaseMod and StSlib) and it will prompt you to run with mods when you hit play.

Must have QoL:
Minty Spire
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Relic Stats
Achievement Enabler
Googly Eyes (obviously)

Downfall for new content
Spire with Friends for multiplayer

Thanks very much!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:sigh:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Slay the Spire: This dopamine delivery system has a pretty fun card game in it. thread.

Is Eviscerate a terrible card?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

MJeff posted:

:sigh:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Slay the Spire: This dopamine delivery system has a pretty fun card game in it. thread.

Is Eviscerate a terrible card?

yes, unless you have sneko eye or every other discard synergy

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

An important note about running with mods: you only get the prompt if you open STS from your Steam Library. If you open it with a desktop shortcut you will get the unmodded version of the game. There is supposed to be a way to get the modded version running from a shortcut, but I've never been able to get it to work.

I did some reading on this just now, found 2 methods for 'shortcuts' running StS with mods. I believe you have to have JRE already installed in your OS. These methods basically directly call the java programs bypassing Steam's UI.

Method (1) - Shortcut to the MtS Launcher
A desktop shortcut runs modthespire launcher, so you then click Play after seeing which mods it's going to run with. Just create a shortcut to \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SlayTheSpire\mts-launcher.jar
To find this path I right-clicked StS in the Steam library UI and browsed local files.

Method (2) - Skipping MtS Launcher
If you want to skip seeing mts launcher and go directly into game with default mods you can create a script/shortcut that runs the actual MtS program, skipping the launcher '-jar path\to\ModTheSpire.jar --skip-launcher' for me it was \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\646570\1605060445\ModTheSpire.jar but I think the last 2 directory names might vary from user to user. I used windows search from the root of \SteamLibrary\ to locate it.

I created a batch .bat file in \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SlayTheSpire\ with the below in it. It's important to store the batch file at this path, so that it can reference local game profile data.

quote:

java -jar H:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\646570\1605060445\ModTheSpire.jar --skip-launcher
pause

I put 'pause' initially to help check for errors, you can remove it if it works.

Then I create a desktop shortcut to the batch file.

droll fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 15, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Moose posted:

yes, unless you have sneko eye or every other discard synergy

Disclaimer: I have only beat A20 once with Silent

There are a lot of cards that only do well with discard synergy, but eviscerate feels like it requires an exceptional amount of discard synergy to get working.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'll take eviscerate if Ive already got decent discard going because because why not, but the rest of the time its a hard pass. Still, 21/27 damage for 2 energy, which is a 1 discard situation, is still decent? And a basic discard deck is gonna be averaging at least two discards a turn right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 15, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Definitely had a couple fun discard decks with eviscerate, low ascension though. Maybe wont work on higher lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Discard decks are very fun but you do need to get lucky to pull them off. I honestly feel like thats true of a lot of the silent decks. Beating A20 with ironclad had a bit of luck but it seems like its possible to do reliably, Silent feels very... luck based in comparison. Not that you dont need all the skills, just that on higher ascensions its easy to do everything right and still get your rear end kicked. Or at least thats what it feels like to me.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Discard is hard to pull off because you need stuff like Acrobatics, Prepared, Concentrate, and Dagger Throw before you can even think about picking things like Eviscerate or Sneaky Strike, or any of the unplayable cards, and you really shouldn't be picking Prepared. You also need a bunch of card draw, since you'll be discarding a lot and you might run out of cards before you run out of energy. Also, all the discard payoff cards are dogshit without enough discard. And then you need relic support, so you really need to hit either a Tingsha, a Tough Bandages, or an Unceasing Top for your deck to scale through A2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kinda feels like Tough Bandages and Tingsha should be powers, not relics.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Discard in silent feels like exhaust for IC because of how common the effect is. There are hoards of discard cards, poo poo you even start with one!

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

MJeff posted:

Kinda feels like Tough Bandages and Tingsha should be powers, not relics.

Tingsha as a card is not something I would ever feel worth playing, so as a marginally useful effect it makes more sense on a relic. Tough bandages is really good though, I might run that as a power, but my deck would probably have to be leaning into discard synergy already for me to take it.

Silent discard can be a hard thing to get working, and a deck with bandages feels significantly better than one without, to the point where the relative rarity of bandages is kind of annoying. If I don't get bandages, I usually need to make the deck go infinite or pivot to something else by the end of the run.

I will say though that I would consider Eviscerate and Sneaky Strike to be perfectly fine picks in the first half of act 1 even if you don't get any other discard synergy. They are bad later without, but damage is damage and having them does make the discard-card choices more appealing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I guess the issue with making Bandages a power is that it's literally just Silent Feel No Pain at that point and they pretty clearly wanted to avoid that kinda thing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I'm so afraid of Snecko Eye (outside of Ironclad, with whom I've had plenty of success). I relic swapped into Snecko Eye on Defect and cruised through an A18 run, beating Donu and Deca in 4 turns without taking any damage. Echo Form + Creative AI + Bird-Faced Urn + Mummified Hand had me just spamming powers and steamrolling everything. I think this may also be the first time I've ever taken Meteor Strike, too. (I am sure someone will tell me why it's a good card and I'm wrong to avoid it!)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
while snecko eye is good, youre basically describing a free win with everything after it and all its doing at that point is giving you two more chances per turn to cast one spell and win the fight

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Meteor Strike is good if you have a way to get it into play, but that can be pretty difficult outside of Snecko Eye. It's incredibly good with Snecko, though, almost always worth picking one up if you see it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Defect has a lot of ways to cheat out energy but I would usually only pick up Meteor Strike with Snecko or Pyramid just because otherwise its so often a dead draw. Maybe also if my deck had a few Equilibriums.

You can do some really, really silly infinites with Meteor Strike though and make the dumbest decks if everything lines up

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crescent Wrench posted:

I don't know why I'm so afraid of Snecko Eye (outside of Ironclad, with whom I've had plenty of success). I relic swapped into Snecko Eye on Defect and cruised through an A18 run, beating Donu and Deca in 4 turns without taking any damage. Echo Form + Creative AI + Bird-Faced Urn + Mummified Hand had me just spamming powers and steamrolling everything. I think this may also be the first time I've ever taken Meteor Strike, too. (I am sure someone will tell me why it's a good card and I'm wrong to avoid it!)

If you have snecko eye and something that reduces the cost of skills like corruption, mummy hand, retain shenanigans, etc. then yeah, it' pretty much a no-brainer.

And meteor strike is a very conditional card. Great in a few decks, pretty meh most of the time. (How are you in A18 without having tried it before?)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

That was loving nuts

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sneko eye is so good that sometimes I'll get stuck on an ascension and just have to wait until I get one because its almost always a free win.

Also Pyramid is so good on Defect. I feel like its the most combo-heavy character. Just being able to hold Turbo or Aggregate+ enables some insane poo poo. You can go into meteor strike bullshit, dark orb + multicast, or even Tempest can be incredibly lethal. Defensively, you can just cast Reinforced Body for "enough, no matter what". Being able to hold Buffer for a turn when you don't need to do anything else is great. Also great is being able to wait until you get both Biased Cognition and a source of artifact (like the colorless card, Core Surge, or an attack + skill for orange pellets)

And then you have so many combo enablers. Seek is the obvious one, but Hologram is super good too. There's plenty of card draw stapled to useful effects like Compile Driver, Coolheaded, Sweeping Beam, FTL, Heatsinks, and then you just have Overclock and Machine Learning.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I've probably said this before but Defect took me way too long to "get" but once it clicked it was by far the most satisfying.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

And meteor strike is a very conditional card. Great in a few decks, pretty meh most of the time. (How are you in A18 without having tried it before?)

Dumb luck?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

got a20 with defect and 19 on silent but still can't get past a12 with ironclad. every time I do kill the final boss it feels like an insanely lucky fluke rather than just building good stuff with the other two.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

got a20 with defect and 19 on silent but still can't get past a12 with ironclad. every time I do kill the final boss it feels like an insanely lucky fluke rather than just building good stuff with the other two.

I'm the total opposite. Beat A20 with Ironclad but stuck dead on 19 with Silent and somewhere around 13 with Defect.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

defect is so much easier to me than even watcher probably. you get free resources and if you just take frost cards and focus cards or a bunch of 0 cost cards and support or even Oops, All Powers you can fake it till you make it and break the game. there's a bunch of builds you can do. same with silent--poison spam, shiv spam, adrenaline bullshit.

ironclad is just much tougher. mana is more precious and the things you have to spend it on seem shittier. i wind up with a bunch of attacks that do 9-12 damage with no real scaling or way to defend myself.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it shows how relatively balanced the game is that people find different characters easier to play an so on.

The IC is so much more easier to play for me that I can speedrun the game with him. Play 3-4 cards a turn, smash, next fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I find Defect easiest. Watcher is more powerful and consistent if you're 100% on your game but I find myself dying to stupid math mistakes or order of operations stuff with the turn ending cards a lot more if I'm just playing to relax.

Ironclad is also pretty easy but Silent always just feels like Act 1 is riding a razor's edge with their lovely starter deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

trucutru posted:

I guess it shows how relatively balanced the game is that people find different characters easier to play an so on.

The IC is so much more easier to play for me that I can speedrun the game with him. Play 3-4 cards a turn, smash, next fight.

Same.

I'm trying to learn silent and it's like a whole different ball game. Either I play 100000 cards a turn, I sit on wraith form, or I die through attrition.