Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I just drove through meritt on saturday, and driving down the Coquihala was bad, at one point my wife and I could see the smoke origins (not the fires themselves due to the angles involved). When we left Kamloops that morning, there was ash settling onto the windshield.

It's real loving bad out there, stay safe Okanagan goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I can't speak for everywhere, but in our riding the advance polling stations are usually completely empty, and there's no special requirements to vote on one of the advance days. I'm planning to just go at a really inconvenient hour on one of those days. If you're masked up with something better than cloth and fully vaccinated I think less than 15 minutes in a polling station (which is the longest I've ever remembered waiting) is reasonably low-risk, even for my complete lack of an immune system.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, what's the bet on which party will have to toss an improperly vetted candidate first?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Luckily I can vote for whoever I want because my Ottawa riding has been Liberal for about 100 years. I'm predicting Mona Fortier will get at least 45% of the vote.
Gotta pump up those NDP numbers.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, what's the bet on which party will have to toss an improperly vetted candidate first?

Does before the writ count?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nah, it's only counts after the writ dropped

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm sure the NDP will continue its time-honoured tradition of finding a candidate somewhere who said something critical of Israel on social media in 2011 and booting them.

The reporters at the Toronto Sun are likely combing through every left wing candidate's Twitter feeds right now for a front page story about a single tweet from high school that said "gently caress the police" or something.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Erin O'Toole opposes mandatory vaccination for federal public servants, travellers

Erin O. Tool posted:

Vaccines are not a political issue. To try and make them one is dangerous and irresponsible.

Well good luck with your election campaign!

Oh, I missed this too:

quote:

Indeed, the topic of mandatory vaccinations has already become a prominent election issue. The NDP and Liberal parties are requiring their candidates be vaccinated before hitting the campaign trail. The Conservatives and the Greens, meanwhile, said they're encouraging their candidates to get vaccinated — but are not making it mandatory.

This is going to do wonders to dispel the Green's pro-woo, anti-vax image, I'm sure.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 16, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Vaccines are not a political issue, now let me take a stance entirely rooted in politics and at odds with the science.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

Vaccines are not a political issue, now let me take a stance entirely rooted in politics and at odds with the science.

Beat me too it lol.

"Vaccines are not political, so allow me to take the position opposite of my opponent, that just so happens to alight with the interests of groups in my political alignment."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bunnyofdoom posted:

Put me down for $20 on the CPC, for saying the quiet part about racism out loud

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

Put me down for $20 on the CPC, for saying the quiet part about racism out loud

How does their slogan being "secure the future" fit into that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

How does their slogan being "secure the future" fit into that?

Plausibly deniable and from the party itself. Now if when someone pulls a Bernier we'll see how desperate they are for candidates.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Really bold of O'Toole to title the policy platform "Vote for us so you can say the n-word again"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Really bold of O'Toole to title the policy platform "Vote for us so you can say the n-word again"

Nipissing?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

pokeyman posted:

I was in a line the other day that doubled back on itself a few times, so there were stickers spaced 2m apart for people facing the same direction, but stickers like a half metre away when considering the people coming back (and facing you, no less). Real thoughtful work.

Also weren't we making fun of pretending covid can't spread beyond 2m like a year ago? How long are we gonna stick with this junk science.
To hell how effective it is, I love not having people stand so close to me I can practically feel them breathing.

I hope BC gets some rain soon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm loling at this O'Toole news conference. He's got this big poster behind him of this buff dude with the slogan "the man with the plan" under it, but the CTV feed is cropped so the head is out of frame, so I imagine it's another dude with Erin's head photshopped onto it.

Also his intro music sounded like a Ford F350 commercial.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Conservative Party of Canada: "Ain't that America"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm loling at this O'Toole news conference. He's got this big poster behind him of this buff dude with the slogan "the man with the plan" under it, but the CTV feed is cropped so the head is out of frame, so I imagine it's another dude with Erin's head photshopped onto it.

He is a difficult subject to photograph

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Like an knock-off Mr Clean

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

eXXon posted:

Erin O'Toole opposes mandatory vaccination for federal public servants, travellers

Well good luck with your election campaign!

Oh, I missed this too:

This is going to do wonders to dispel the Green's pro-woo, anti-vax image, I'm sure.

quote:

Rather than require public servants and travellers to get a shot, O'Toole said, if elected, he'd demand they pass a rapid test before going to work or boarding a bus, train, plane or ship.

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

pokeyman posted:

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

I wonder how much more expensive rapid testing is to upkeep vs. vaccines we already purchased. Hmmm.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The lawn signs are already out in force in my neighbourhood, and so far it's 100% Conservative.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Just registered online to vote by mail, took about three minutes total, and a chunk of that was digging my driver's license out of my wallet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pokeyman posted:

Lol rapid test every time somebody wants to get on a bus. That truly is a sensible solution with no scaling problems, well done Mr O'Toole.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I guess credit where credit is due, but it definitely seems like pandering to anti-vaxx.

Like at first it seems like a reasonable compromise, annoy people into vaccinating, but it feels like a game of chicken. Do you actually want people taking you up on that? "Regular rapid testing to keep workplaces safe" seems like a lot to manage.

While it focuses on the issue for federal employees, what do you do for everyone else? If you also expect small businesses to try to implement some kind of "rapid test required" just lol. Whereas a mandatory vaxx for public services and travel might actually have a knock-on effect for private business.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pokeyman posted:

There is absolutely no way that rapid tests for bus/train travel are feasible and either way it's a shittier plan than mandatory vaccines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If someone were to make Otoole into a discount Mr. Clean as an attack ad I wouldn't say no.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I don't think we should underestimate the conservatives. There's a lot of people sick and tired of the lockdowns and agitating for a more GOP style response to the pandemic (and vaccination). If people stay home it could result in a conservative takeover.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think we should underestimate the conservatives. There's a lot of people sick and tired of the lockdowns and agitating for a more GOP style response to the pandemic (and vaccination). If people stay home it could result in a conservative takeover.

Naw, this is like 12% of the Canadian population tops and they wouldn't vote Liberal or NDP anyways.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Just because the media is going to force a 'horse race' narrative on this election doesn't mean it's actually competitive.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Early polls do show the race tightening - it’s definitely looking like more of a toss-up than a Liberal waltz to a majority. Mainstreet’s showed L+3 (down from L+6 earlier in the month), whereas Forum had C+3 (although Forum conducts its polls by landline only, so that might not be representative of much).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sashimi posted:

The lawn signs are already out in force in my neighbourhood, and so far it's 100% Conservative.

Someone else that has to suffer living in Barrie I see.

Im hoping this year the north riding where I live flips. It was double digits close last election and the dillweed the PCs have here has only gotten less popular. On the other hand I have also seen a ton of new people from Toronto moving in to this end of town and they arent the nice happy young families I was promised, its almost entirely NIMBY white flight gen x/boomers. :(

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Most people realize all that stuff is provincial. That’s why the Cons have to resort to talking about stuff like mandatory vaccinations for federal workers, which basically no one cares about. Sad!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Arivia posted:

Whatever though, I already submitted my vote by mail application. Pretty easy, you can do it online on the Elections Canada website, you'll need to photograph and upload some ID (name + address, so one card like a driver's license or two pieces like a health card and a bank statement or other mail with your address on it.)

Thanks, I was wondering if they were doing mail-in federally. We voted by mail in the last provincial election and it ruled. We were so early with our ballot request that nominations were still open so we were ticking next to parties instead of names.

Solenna posted:

I hope BC gets some rain soon

The important part (where I live) is getting a fine drizzle this morning. It's like a normal summer day in the Central Coast and it's glorious. I regret to report the rest of the province is still hosed.

I'm wondering if we'll join the western US and end up with two seasons: fire and mud.

Not sure how I feel about mandatory vaccines for the civil service. I had a hazardous job so Health Canada handed me a laundry list of required vaccines and I said "gently caress yeah" and rolled up my sleeve. I think the brainworms might be getting me and I'm a little sympathetic to those who are concerned about a vaccine that hasn't completed the full approval process. Otoh it will purge some complete idiots from the civil service. I wonder which party anti-vaxxers are most likely to support? I'm sure this didn't enter into the Liberals calculus.

What a weird virus this is, targetting by political affiliation.

Just :lol: if the Greens take an anti-vax position. It will definitely demonstrate their ability and commitment to make tough decisions based on science. :lmao:

Ah well, it will make it easier to check the "Generic Orange Person" box on the mail-in ballot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Luckily those who spam Facebook comment sections on news articles can only vote once otherwise Trudeau would be placed in the stocks and the Cons would be crowned leaders for life.

Also for those worried about big crowds I suggest either voting by mail or early voting.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

The only surprise in this election will be whether or not Trudeau gets a majority government.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Luckily those who spam Facebook comment sections on news articles can only vote once otherwise Trudeau would be placed in the stocks and the Cons would be crowned leaders for life.

Also for those worried about big crowds I suggest either voting by mail or early voting.

Hahahaha big crowds on voting day

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

St. Dogbert posted:

Early polls do show the race tightening

Those polls would have all been taken before O'Toole opened his mouth yesterday.

Hexigrammus posted:

Ah well, it will make it easier to check the "Generic Orange Person" box on the mail-in ballot.

You do apparently have to know the name of the candidate. You can't just write "Monster Raving Loony Party" and expect Elections Canada to translate that to a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Someone else that has to suffer living in Barrie I see.
Close-ish, but no cigar. Thornhill. At least Peter Kent is retiring this time though.