Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

How far can you go with unreformed asatru as a varangian country

If you're talking about how far around the map, anywhere you want. I really like doing Norse expeditions over to India or West Africa. I don't normally stop in Arabia/Persia, and basically never go to Siberia because of how long it takes to go anywhere.

If you're talking about how long you can play as an unreformed religion, theoretically forever, but realistically you are going to want to either reform or change to a reformed religion. It takes decades to convert a county to an unreformed religion, and if you're feudal you have a large opinion penalty for being unreformed. You can deal with it, but it's easier to either change religion or reform your existing religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last one. Just wondering how long into the game I can go as the pagan Norse king of Sardina before I have to give up raiding.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

The last one. Just wondering how long into the game I can go as the pagan Norse king of Sardina before I have to give up raiding.

There is no specific mechanic that will force you to reform other than the opinions of your neighbors. Cagliari is a fantastic capital for raiding in the Med, so as long as you don't succumb to a Crusade you can stay unreformed the rest of the game. You'll have an opinion penalty with all your courtiers and vassals, but it's workable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
When deciding on what to conquer next, while its nice to pick independent counts/dukes with no alliances for easy wins, the best moves are to try to score the best developed counties early in the campaign. The development acts like such a strong multiplier that all the backwater russian counties in the world can't compete with Cairo/Thrace/Latium/ or the nice ones over in India that I can't remember the name of.

If you're going to go on a vangrian adventure might as well adventure to somewhere that'll earn its weight.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how do i deal with a one county caliph as my vassal whose land i want? I can't force him to convert and I can't revoke his title because it will leave him with only a non-land title or something like that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how do i deal with a one county caliph as my vassal whose land i want? I can't force him to convert and I can't revoke his title because it will leave him with only a non-land title or something like that.

murder him?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

murder him?

everyone i can see in the line of succession so far is unlanded and would just inherit both titles

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm not sure, but I suggest grant independence and then conquer? Alternatively grant him useless land somewhere else then revoke the one you want?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

When deciding on what to conquer next, while its nice to pick independent counts/dukes with no alliances for easy wins, the best moves are to try to score the best developed counties early in the campaign. The development acts like such a strong multiplier that all the backwater russian counties in the world can't compete with Cairo/Thrace/Latium/ or the nice ones over in India that I can't remember the name of.

If you're going to go on a vangrian adventure might as well adventure to somewhere that'll earn its weight.

That's part of what makes Cagliari such a nice spot. It's a duchy capital coastal plain with a mine, so you can get a +100% development bonus to quickly get it to the highest development in the game. It also makes a ton of money, to help pay for all those MaA.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I just discovered the Qiang people right on the edge of the map and having read a bit about their culture I'm now committed to making a horde of women to descend out of the Himalayas and destroy the concept of patrilineal descent.

And on the subject of the Himalayas do we have any idea about the release date? Because that whole North East area of the map is kind of impossible at the moment and would really benefit from me being able to syncretise some cultures.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My PC’s sister stabbed me out just now. Good news is that she is old enough to do stuff (20, he was 10) and she’s a genius.

Bad news is that she’s married to a landed character so I have the warning of game over if she dies. Both of their kids are his dynasty.

What are my best options here? Stab him out and the kids to secure my dynasty? Or something else?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Murdering or divorcing him is a good idea, though you won't be able to murder your kids unless you have particular traits (Sadistic I think); disinheriting them (either though the dynasty action or by appointing them as ecclesiastical rulers, assuming Theocratic religion) would be your other option. Or if you can get to Absolute Crown Authority, designate a dynastic child as your heir, assuming you can remarry in time.

Alternatively, adopt Elective or Seniority succession and you should be able to side step to some other living dynast, assuming there are other dynasts alive.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

welp i eventually murdered enough caliphs that some rando in afghanistan is now the sunni caliph

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aside from making them revolt-proof, is there anything allied vassals will actually get involved with

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You can pull their own stuff into foreign wars? Your vassals sum up a huge amount of levies and MaA that they'll happily sit on as you get mauled. That might be more of a lategame thing though, the diminishing middlemen vassal stuff.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Aside from making them revolt-proof, is there anything allied vassals will actually get involved with

Nope. Just prevents any hostile actions between you and them, which can be helpful during a rocky succession.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

zoux posted:

It's a goddamn inoperable tumor

the pope is just nipping a future heresy in the bud, nbd

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

ZombieLenin posted:

CK3 has some improvements over CK2, for sure, and there is something to be said for it maybe being easier to learn because it has less content than CK2. So it is really hard to strongly recommend one over the other...

Other than, for me—granted I put over 10k hours into CK2–CK2s breadth of content means it’s the more enjoyable game at the moment.

I realise this is old but that’s five hours a day, every day, for a bit over five and a half years.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Filboid Studge posted:

I realise this is old but that’s five hours a day, every day, for a bit over five and a half years.

Steam's timer isn't super useful if you're someone who will just leave games running while you're doing other things.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

zoux posted:

It's a goddamn inoperable tumor

And you call yourself an english monarch

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

uPen posted:

Steam's timer isn't super useful if you're someone who will just leave games running while you're doing other things.

Yeah I do the same thing with MMOs. The highest I've racked up is 4000 hours but I probably only really played half that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

The problem is it takes 600 piety to attack him, and when I finally got there and bit the bullet and declared war for them, the fucker died mid war and thus the war was cancelled. I don’t give a poo poo who the pope is the midlands dont belong to him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

uPen posted:

yeah I alt-tab a lot and just leave things on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you guys think are the best and worse skill trees? I really hate the seducer and torturer (really all of intrigue) but a lot of that is I don't play that way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: my favorite lifestyle trees:

- Scholar: pedagogy, scientific, planned cultivation, scholarly circles, learn the job. And the rest are decent too

- Family: Befriend, Groomed to Rule, Confidants, Friendly Counsel, Sound Foundations. The rest are not so great, but the good ones are too good

- August: True Ruler, Writing History, A Life of Glory, Dignitas and August itself

- Administrator: Meritocracy (situational, of course. but always the best way to get independant), Large Levies (very useful early and middle game), Likable, Chains of Loyalty, Positions of Power, Toe the Line, Honored to Serve and Administrator itself: all good and useful

These are the best ones for me. Maybe Gallant too, but Im not too war focused most of my games

I'll add that Strategist is amazing when you are playing tribal

edit: worst probably all intrigue ones. But I also don't play that way much

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 17, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'd say torturer or whole of body but the latter is just because my player style is to switch rulers/lifestyles constantly. seducer can be useful if you're going to farm prestige from empire tier romances/giant familes and schemer will let you harvest more hooks to raise contracts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

What do you guys think are the best and worse skill trees? I really hate the seducer and torturer (really all of intrigue) but a lot of that is I don't play that way.

The best one by far is Avaricious. Scholar is also good. Third is probably Architect? Maybe Strategist but the military trees are weird in that you want 3 picks in Chivalry, a handful from Strategist, and maybe 1 from Authority, rather than ever finishing whole trees.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

You can have some fun with having 2 schemes going if you're feeling murderous. Other than that I agree that the scheming trees aren't that interesting. Dread is op so spamming torture works but I powergame enough anyway and I don't enjoy pressing torture buttons, even if they're fictional.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You can make solid money in the first quarter of the game if you get a good long lived ruler who can fabricate 2 hook schemes at a time and then charge gold for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I make insane money from blackmailing for hooks and then buying them with Golden Obligations. The only issue is if my guy has moral qualms.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

I make insane money from blackmailing for hooks and then buying them with Golden Obligations. The only issue is if my guy has moral qualms.

That's why you make sure to beat those qualms out of them and then take them hunting.

Like that episode of Moral Orel.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
is there a way, through the console or otherwise to force your title icon to resemble your dynasty crest?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I made a honest, compassionate guy for the "virtuous" achievement, and it kind of sucks, can't even murder one person without going over the stress limit. On the other hand, all his vassals and family members love him so it's not all bad.

The same guy (black of hair) married an orange-haired woman, and now half his descendants have orange hair. Genetics!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just about never murder anyone because that's scary and I don't want to get in trouble :ohdear:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'd say torturer or whole of body but the latter is just because my player style is to switch rulers/lifestyles constantly. seducer can be useful if you're going to farm prestige from empire tier romances/giant familes and schemer will let you harvest more hooks to raise contracts

Anything that boosts seduction and attractiveness is especially nice starting small in Europe if you're a man-loving woman or man. I go for non-stop seduction of landless himbos in diplomatic range to fill out a stable of 20+ prowess knights and know I'm on the ball when the "too many lovers" event can't keep up with me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

The best one by far is Avaricious. Scholar is also good. Third is probably Architect? Maybe Strategist but the military trees are weird in that you want 3 picks in Chivalry, a handful from Strategist, and maybe 1 from Authority, rather than ever finishing whole trees.

Sappers imo is the best skill in Strategist (specially when you are norse and have a full heavy infantry MaA). And than you pretty much finished the tree already

edit: also all Strategist skils are useful when you are A) constantly fighting larger armies and B) raiding a lot. So for tribal early game, getting the whole tree is really effective

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 17, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've been restarting Rurik Troublemaker a bunch to learn stuff and it's definitely my favorite tree.

Keep loving up my death partition though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

My little person vassal got eated by a big fish :ohdear:

All because I built a carp pond... I had no idea this could happen lol

He was so cool
Carps and dwarves, a lethal history.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Even FRANCE managed to annex Avignon, so yeah you are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if I read it here or somewhere else, but it works well enough. The intrigue tree is useful if you’re planning on being a vassal for a while. Fabricate hooks and change your contract every ruler to get a guaranteed council spot, no title revocation, and lower obligations. The council bonus under an emperor is amazing. If you naturally go with spymaster you get a bunch of dread and if you’re already in the tree you can murder almost anyone. Steward is awesome too.

Of course you can get lucky with finding secrets on your ruler and get hooks that way and the intrigue stuff is useless, but if you’re doing an intrigue run anyway, you can make the most of it.