Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We’ve got Dave Bautista for the sequel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

And Ed Norton!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Potentially Jessica Chastain based on the rather flimsy evidence that Rian Johnson has just started following her on Instagram.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jivjov posted:

And Ed Norton!

man, if it was 1999 this would be really exciting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

And Ed Norton!

He’s going to either be the murderer or the murderee

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1392526269489815554?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooooooh

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I am so there if we get Benoit Blanc, Singing Detective.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Someone get Hugh Jackman and Hrithik Roshan in this thing and make them and Daniel Craig and Batista sing and dance.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1392904457239896067?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well now we know who it was all along!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/NoraPrinciotti/status/1392916006805413894?s=20

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Excited about this to actually be the final chapter in Janelle Monae's Metropolis Suite.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lakeith too busy monitoring anti-Semitic chatrooms to show up in Greece.

As for Johnson's SW movies, he has a better chance than the GoT guys at least. But I believe his stance is essentially Disney are still telling me they want it to happen and they haven't cancelled it yet so it's happening.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Lakeith too busy monitoring anti-Semitic chatrooms to show up in Greece.

As for Johnson's SW movies, he has a better chance than the GoT guys at least. But I believe his stance is essentially Disney are still telling me they want it to happen and they haven't cancelled it yet so it's happening.

I wish he'd just take his ideas and make an unrelated space opera for some other studio. Auteurs are largely wasting their time trying to work within the Disney machine.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snowman_McK posted:

I wish he'd just take his ideas and make an unrelated space opera for some other studio. Auteurs are largely wasting their time trying to work within the Disney machine.

The thing is he largely seemed to have a good time with Disney. They liked him and it's true that of the three movies his was the only one that had a pretty smooth production. I mean, to be fair to Abrams he asked Disney to push production on the first movie back a year when he got the job, but they had already announced the release date and weren't going to budge. That he managed to pull off a success in those conditions is pretty admirable regardless of what I might think of the finished film.

The only real issue Johnson seemed to have was that he wished Disney let him test the movie, but they were so super anti spoilers and leaks that they were only screening it in house and not with regular audiences.

The SW thing is weird though because while they've parted ways with other Directors before and announced it, they seem reluctant to if that's the case with Johnson too. Are they just that afraid of making any sort of announcement related to Rian Johnson and Star Wars that they won't even announce his movies aren't going ahead?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DrVenkman posted:

The SW thing is weird though because while they've parted ways with other Directors before and announced it, they seem reluctant to if that's the case with Johnson too. Are they just that afraid of making any sort of announcement related to Rian Johnson and Star Wars that they won't even announce his movies aren't going ahead?

These were the world-wide grosses of the various SW movies:

The Force Awakens: $2,068,455,677

Rogue One: $1,056,057,720

The Last Jedi: $1,332,698,830

Solo: $392,924,807

The Rise of Skywalker: $1,074,148,486

The Force Awakens got the most, but figure a lot of that was from 15 years of Star Wars blue balls. A two hour Holiday Special would've made assloads of money from being the next big SW movie. Internet crybabies aside, The Last Jedi came in second in terms of making money. Figure the bottom line is still the bottom line. Unless Disney actively says that Johnson's SW trilogy has been cancelled, it's still on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Disney has been incredibly consistent about telling us when announced projects get cancelled or change to new directors. No news is literally good news when it comes to an already-announced project.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On top of fiscally doing well, I feel like TLJ has critically improved in the wake of TROS and Knives Out; more respect for Rian Johnson, the realization that there wasn't some incredible story JJ set up that TLJ trampled (at least, not the one they assumed), as well as a recalibration of what a bad Star Wars movie actually looks like.

I cant see any real reason Disney would cancel his trilogy, beyond "weirdos might mald over them on twitter".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 15, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Neurolimal posted:

On top of fiscally doing well, I feel like TLJ has critically improved in the wake of TROS and Knives Out; more respect for Rian Johnson, the realization that there wasn't some incredible story JJ set up that TLJ trampled (at least, not the one they assumed), as well as a recalibration of what a bad Star Wars movie actually looks like.

I cant see any real reason Disney would cancel his trilogy, beyond "weirdos might mald over them on twitter".

And let's face it, "weirdos might mald over them on Twitter" isn't a real reason. It's at best an excuse to do something they already planned/wanted to do or not do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

The thing is he largely seemed to have a good time with Disney. They liked him and it's true that of the three movies his was the only one that had a pretty smooth production. I mean, to be fair to Abrams he asked Disney to push production on the first movie back a year when he got the job, but they had already announced the release date and weren't going to budge. That he managed to pull off a success in those conditions is pretty admirable regardless of what I might think of the finished film.

The only real issue Johnson seemed to have was that he wished Disney let him test the movie, but they were so super anti spoilers and leaks that they were only screening it in house and not with regular audiences.

That release date thing made a pretty big difference, though. The Last Jedi absolutely needed another script pass. It wasn't bad at all, but it needed another pass just to tie everything together a little better. It feels like several good but only partially related scenes rather than a cohesive film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It was as good as any other Star Wars film and better than many of them

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Potentially Jessica Chastain based on the rather flimsy evidence that Rian Johnson has just started following her on Instagram.

Every movie in production is potentially starring Jessica Chastain.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Every movie in production is potentially starring Jessica Chastain.

Or possibly Dallas Bryce Howard. They don’t know till they finish filming.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/mauro_txt/status/1399751033753161733

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1400352624587706375

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/lightscamerapod/status/1409949354232795139

https://twitter.com/rwyattduncan/status/1409923438785875968

https://twitter.com/metaplexmovies/status/1409963408217235462

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Are those gun standins for filming?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
As a big fan of Batista and Hawke I am just delighted by those pictures.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bautista is quickly becoming one of my favorite performers. He's got surprising range given the "wrestler-turned-actor" thing. Excels at comedy, excels at action, he even brings it as a dramatic actor based on Blade Runner 2049. I could genuinely see him having a Mickey Rourke moment where he gets Oscar buzz for some gritty indie role in a few years. I will not underestimate Dave Bautista.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Xealot posted:

Bautista is quickly becoming one of my favorite performers. He's got surprising range given the "wrestler-turned-actor" thing. Excels at comedy, excels at action, he even brings it as a dramatic actor based on Blade Runner 2049. I could genuinely see him having a Mickey Rourke moment where he gets Oscar buzz for some gritty indie role in a few years. I will not underestimate Dave Bautista.

agreed. he certainly seems to have taken to acting in a serious manner. after dwayne johnson has sort of been doing the same thing/roles for years and years, it's nice to see a wrestler with acting potential actually try to use their talents more creatively

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Xealot posted:

It does seem to be the case that he actually wants to BE an actor, as opposed to Dave Bautista.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Samovar posted:

It does seem to be the case that he actually wants to BE an actor, as opposed to Dave Bautista.

as opposed to Dave Bautista…?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The_Doctor posted:

as opposed to Dave Bautista…?

I believe their point is that Bautista seems interested in acting more than celebrity. He seems interested in becoming distinct characters, not just being himself in endless identical roles.

Which more or less describes The Rock’s output, sorry to say. He’s never not Dwayne Johnson.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Xealot posted:

I believe their point is that Bautista seems interested in acting more than celebrity. He seems interested in becoming distinct characters, not just being himself in endless identical roles.

Which more or less describes The Rock’s output, sorry to say. He’s never not Dwayne Johnson.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, thank you.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Samovar posted:

He was apparently broke when his agent called him to let him know he'd gotten the Drax role and is determined never to be in that situation again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am sure he's nowhere near broke these days.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xealot posted:

It's been really disappointing to see Johnson have no idea where his strengths are and try to sand himself down into Generic Action Hero Man. Even within the Fast and Furious franchise, compare his character in Fast Five where he's great as a shithead heel, to Hobbs and Shaw where you can practically see his thumb on the scale as producer to make sure he checks off all the generic-funny-nice-cool-guy boxes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tender Bender posted:

It's been really disappointing to see Johnson have no idea where his strengths are and try to sand himself down into Generic Action Hero Man. Even within the Fast and Furious franchise, compare his character in Fast Five where he's great as a shithead heel, to Hobbs and Shaw where you can practically see his thumb on the scale as producer to make sure he checks off all the generic-funny-nice-cool-guy boxes.

I didn’t read the quote and thought you were talking about Rian for a second.

Action Rian lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

It’s so weird since his whole career started out by playing a swaggery boisterous oftentimes heel. Maybe he’ll channel some of that into the Black Adam role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

southland tales johnson is best johnson