Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/TESLAcharts/status/1427971373738119171?s=19

I wish this stupid thing would blow up.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao @ trying to lionize WSB stupidity. We even had tons of people in here fully buying into the narrative of "sticking it to the hedge funds" when the Gamestop saga was going on.

I have one client who is obsessed with the numerology behind whatever that is and is constantly telling me gme is going to rise to infinity dollars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered the phrase "V-shaped recovery"

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

31% food inflation lamo

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

What letter recovery are we in now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

my landlord was a truck driver and he retired b/c of covid and sold my home, lol

Wow, you could once buy a house in a city on a truck driver's wages??? What a world

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I thought some truck drivers got paid pretty well?

Apr 7, 2003

A cursory look online says that the average truck driver in Canada makes CA$44,835 a year

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

loving nine rolls of toilet paper is $13 now

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thom12255 posted:

Lol.

Not really, no. Union drivers, maybe. But otherwise no. There's a handful of companies that do pay well, but that's like cross country van lines, or government contract poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i am harry posted:

time to invest in that bidet attachment i've been looking at for a while

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i am harry posted:

I haven't been to America in 2 years, is this true

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gorson posted:

I think the real driver of denial is whites age 30-50 who are in good financial shape and still benefitting from the system.

i saw this article the other day

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Gorson posted:

Ẍ̶̲́͝X̴͉͇̱̯͍̫͈̪̎Ẍ̸̥̲̲͍̬́̋̓́̑̿͆̈́͝

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorson posted:

Δ

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jabronie posted:

Did their power go out? Seems like the response to fridges and freezers not cooling the food is to throw it out.

real doomsday is the police guarding the dumpsters like we saw earlier this year.

reefer trucks are getting extremely hard to find. We are paying 4x our typical cost to get our refrigerated output picked up and what was usually 1-3 business day pickup is now 3 weeks. We can schedule around that but a grocery store depends on almost daily shipments of food because Just In Time Inventory saves money by cutting backroom stocks down to virtually nothing and all retail stores are kept afloat by a never ending parade of semis.

Your inventory system tells your distribution center you are out of pizza rolls so the next day your truck has pizza rolls on it.

This is what happens when there either aren't any pizza rolls to deliver or trucks to deliver them basically.

It might concern you to know that one person can clear any retail store of any item. It might cost like $500+ but I could get every frozen pizza still in stock at the closest wal-mart today and if they aren't able to get their <24 hour replenishment from their distribution center then nobody gets frozen pizza. This applies to every item. There might be like 12 total first aid kits in the entire store because meticulous inventory adjustments over decades have proven that typically the store might sell 3 first aid kits a week. If someone spends $400 to buy all 12 and the truck or stock doesn't exist to replace it it's just gone.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Apr 7, 2003

How is all of this shortage poo poo worse right now after thirteen months of 'recovery' than it was a year ago? lol

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i would've deemed the entire bloodborne franchise as an edgelord version of pokemon but then i forgot MegaTen exists as well:v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i would've deemed the entire bloodborne franchise as an edgelord version of pokemon but then i forgot MegaTen exists as well:v:

pokemon is just smt for normies

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Megaten came first

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How is all of this shortage poo poo worse right now after thirteen months of 'recovery' than it was a year ago? lol

Supply Chains have gotten worse over the past year rather than better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

because there was no recovery, just 13 months of people gradually realizing things are actually hosed

there is still a large percentage of people who can't see it. they have number poisoning

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Build. Back. Better.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Rutibex posted:

because there was no recovery, just 13 months of people gradually realizing things are actually hosed

there is still a large percentage of people who can't see it. they have number poisoning

if I can’t trust number, who can I trust?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

euphronius posted:

31% food inflation lamo

lol that like exactly matches my casual observation of fast food prices last week

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lmfao

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

cool av posted:

if I can’t trust number, who can I trust?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Thom12255 posted:

not really but two income household with only one kid that bought their house in the early 80s means they probably were doing fine. my rent was covering most of their carrying costs (probably all of them by the last year i lived there) so all they had to do to afford it was borrow against their house in 2015 for the down payment.

my estimate is they paid approx 375k for the condo. they sold it for ~675k iirc and they would have paid around 60k in tax and maybe 35k in closing costs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Minrad posted:

lol that like exactly matches my casual observation of fast food prices last week

but have you considered the other zillion widgets that didn't had their prices raised which you will never need

checkmate commies

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shipping is still hosed and the longer it's hosed the more you're going to notice.

Retail stores are trying to rearrange poo poo so that they don't look as empty. I went into a harbor freight last week and half of the shelf space was out of stock. Imported stuff at my Asian groceries have jumped in price or run out completely.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Palladium posted:

but have you considered the other zillion widgets that didn't had their prices raised which you will never need

checkmate commies

food, housing, transportation, and healthcare are all but irrelevant for the vast majority of people* so it’s fair to exclude them from most economic calculations.

*LLCs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

Shipping is still hosed and the longer it's hosed the more you're going to notice.

Retail stores are trying to rearrange poo poo so that they don't look as empty. I went into a harbor freight last week and half of the shelf space was out of stock. Imported stuff at my Asian groceries have jumped in price or run out completely.

I went to a couple pawn shops the other day and none of them have any tools. Still lots of old DVDs, but nothing thats actually useful

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

I figured it was just anecdotal so I never mentioned this here but I get fast food on my commute a lot and shits gotten weird.

The taco bells that haven't closed have the $1 menu as the $1.50 menu basically. A doritos taco is like $3.
The arby's i go to when I want to poo poo myself has no bags left. They give you stuff loose in a plastic bag with a smiley face on it like a chinese restaurant. No utensils or sauce.
One of my favorite Pho places is 50/50 on doing takeout because they can't get enough plastic containers for their broth half of the time.

I got like $20 in free coupons one night when I tried grubhub because every restaurant would cancel an order when I placed it due to lack of menu items I had ordered. It was the fifth restaurant that actually fulfilled the order.

Rutibex posted:

I went to a couple pawn shops the other day and none of them have any tools. Still lots of old DVDs, but nothing thats actually useful

This isn't a supply chain issue, it's more of a culture shift. When I started doing manufacturing machine repair contracting I needed a full set of tools for cheap to get started, so I setup a drive route around my entire city that took 4 hours and hit over 20 different pawn shops, thrift stores or the like. I found almost zero tools. Two places had a random assortment of old or lovely hand tools or those wal-mart "Tool Kits" marked up 50%. I ended up having to buy off of amazon on credit and this was 3 years ago.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Aug 18, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I got like $20 in free coupons one night when I tried grubhub because every restaurant would cancel an order when I placed it due to lack of menu items I had ordered. It was the fifth restaurant that actually fulfilled the order.
The economy takes care of its own, the system works

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
is a man not entitled to the diarrhea of his butt?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Rutibex posted:

Grabbed a Harbor Freight compressor out of a neighbors trash over the weekend. Far as I can tell it's perfectly fine and tripped the onboard breaker switch :shrug:

Apr 7, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Grabbed a Harbor Freight compressor out of a neighbors trash over the weekend. Far as I can tell it's perfectly fine and tripped the onboard breaker switch :shrug:

Affluent areas have been criminalizing taking poo poo out of the trash for years because they don't like their inferiors coming in and scouring the perfectly good stuff at the curbside.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rectal Death Adept posted:

is a man not entitled to the diarrhea of his butt?
"NO!" says the nearest toilet, "IT BELONGS TO ME!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I broke a bunch of harbor freight tools last week putting up a sheet metal shed. Don't buy poo poo from harbor freight.

I did manage to plug a tire with a cheap plug kit from there, but it's hands down the worst plug kit I've ever bought, even for $3. The reamer was basically a drill bit on a handle, not like a rat-tail file like my good ones. The plug tool wouldn't let go of the plug either, had to bend the hell out of one of the tangs to get it to work right.

But the tire is still holding air 200 miles later, so the plug and glue must be fine.

Remembering when harbor freight recalled jack stands and replaced them with.... recalled jack stands.