Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The staple team of Ultra Premier is Empoleon, Kingdra, Dragonite. Plan your team to beat that and you’re pretty good.

HookShot posted:

Anyone have suggestions on making my Premier Cup team stronger? Right now I'm stuck in the low 1900s.

I'm running Goodra/Sylveon/Roserade.

On Goodra I have dragon breath/power whip/muddy water

Sylveon has charm/psyshock/dazzling gleam

Roserade has Bullet Seed/Weather Ball/Sludge Bomb

I'm running them in that order. I find there's not a lot that I'm explicitly hosed against, but I'm also losing a lot of matches by a sliver of health. Open to suggestions on what I can change/switch out to improve.

I should also note that I recently switched out Roserade for a Charizard with whatever the good fast move is/Blast Burn/Dragon Claw. It's doing slightly better, but not much.

Sylveon should have Moonblast.

If you have one, I like Talonflame over Charizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Since I started using Defit for easy walking candy I decided that all my Rank 1 'mons should be battle ready.

I had a 100% oddish, which just so happens to be rank 1 great league. Been walking it for a few weeks. Got it up to level 49.5, decided to use my Rare Candy XL's to just have it over with, and.........I hit evolve instead of power up.

I am so angry.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I FINALLY for the first time hit veteran status in GBL, going with a Shadow Mewtwo(psyshock, ice beam), Garchomp(Earth Power, Sand Tomb) and Dialga(steel head, draco meteor)

I got up to 2498 and figured I'd go 0-5 right after but thankfully went 4-1.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

The staple team of Ultra Premier is Empoleon, Kingdra, Dragonite. Plan your team to beat that and you’re pretty good.

Sylveon should have Moonblast.

If you have one, I like Talonflame over Charizard.

Thanks!

I haven’t seen a single kingdra in probably 100 battles.

Probably 30+ venusaurs though…

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Oyster posted:

Since I started using Defit for easy walking candy I decided that all my Rank 1 'mons should be battle ready.

I had a 100% oddish, which just so happens to be rank 1 great league. Been walking it for a few weeks. Got it up to level 49.5, decided to use my Rare Candy XL's to just have it over with, and.........I hit evolve instead of power up.

I am so angry.

This is my nightmare and why I am super overly cautious with powering up. The "favorite" star should really stop the ability to evolve as it stops transfer. Maybe it should stop powering up too! Just make things safe for those of us with anxiety please!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm constantly fighting my muscle memory as it tries to transfer every time I want to appraise

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Ok I am absolutely getting my rear end handed to me in Master League. I’ve gone something like 3-22 in my first 25 matches and I have no idea what to do. It’s beyond frustrating and so little fun to the point where I’m considering just sitting out until great league starts back up. I’m rank 20 but dropped all the way down to 1676 after another 1-4 set.

I’m running
Garchomp with dragon tail/outrage
Machamp with counter/dynamic punch or rock slid
Swampert with water gun/earthquake/muddy water.

I sometimes switch in a Togekiss with air slash/dazzling gleam/flamethrower or Mewtwo with Confusion/Psychic.

Is it a level issue or am I just not using the right moves or is this just something where I leave it to the candy farmers and bow out until great league? I was going 3-2 and 4-1 nearly every set in great and ultra league and feel like a rookie in master 😫

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

GPTribefan posted:

Ok I am absolutely getting my rear end handed to me in Master League. I’ve gone something like 3-22 in my first 25 matches and I have no idea what to do. It’s beyond frustrating and so little fun to the point where I’m considering just sitting out until great league starts back up. I’m rank 20 but dropped all the way down to 1676 after another 1-4 set.

I’m running
Garchomp with dragon tail/outrage
Machamp with counter/dynamic punch or rock slid
Swampert with water gun/earthquake/muddy water.

I sometimes switch in a Togekiss with air slash/dazzling gleam/flamethrower or Mewtwo with Confusion/Psychic.

Is it a level issue or am I just not using the right moves or is this just something where I leave it to the candy farmers and bow out until great league? I was going 3-2 and 4-1 nearly every set in great and ultra league and feel like a rookie in master 😫

Garchomp probably needs a second charge move if you got the candy/stardust - being able to bait shields and drop defence with sand tomb is pretty good, earth power is pretty good too. Mud shot will generate a bit more energy but dragon tail is pretty good
Machamp seems fine
Muddy water on swampert isn't that great - the 30% chance of attack debuff is good but hydro cannon is just *that* much better

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of countering fairy types on this team (except for rock slide but machamp will lose that battle anyway due to charm) - it might be worthwhile considering sludge wave on swampert. it's a spicy move *but* you've already got steel coverage on machamp, and a second charge move on garchomp can handle that too.

Mewtwo with psychic is fine but definitely but psystrike is much better. Confusion is probably best kept for raids/gyms, rather than psycho cut which will generate much more energy for the charge moves.

FWIW i don't normally dabble in the PVP stuff, i've only gotten to 2100 so far but I haven't been touching it as much. Running Ho-Oh with incinreate+brave bird/earthquake, shadow mewtwo with psycho cut + psystrike/shadow ball, and melmetal with rockslide/superpower

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Team Umbreon/Espeon/Sylveon just went 12 straight matches until an extremely well switched Machamp brought their reign to it's end. They still finished the set with two more wins.

Umbreon wins vs all tanks, mine isn't even best buddy, just 100%. Last resort is a must to beat alolamuk.

Espeon feels like the weakest link but then solo'd a team of swampert/sirfetchd/Metagross.

Sylveon is Sylveon.

Most battles end with the opponent still having shields, confusion and charm just wreck that much. It's a lot different only having one 'mon to spam shields down, but it's been working so far. At 2100.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So this game has totally become all about pvp now?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Wheany posted:

Not at all! This thread tends to go through spats of pvp-centric posting but it's hardly all about it. Hell, I usually get up to ace-ish level and put it down for the season, I've just been more excited about it recently since a new job changed the way I interact with the game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wheany posted:

I think it's because we're at the tail end of an event no one cares about (This will change with unlock 3: Galar Stuff) and the weekend's community day offered some good moves for two powerful pvp pokeman. I'm sure by saturday we'll be talking about best wolves.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I used to be in those chats but haven't played PvP in months because XL candy sucks. There are plenty of other things to do, like getting many gyms gold!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Entropist posted:

I used to be in those chats but haven't played PvP in months because XL candy sucks. There are plenty of other things to do, like getting many gyms gold!

327. I wish there was a medal for this instead of me having to make a list.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lol, the Niantic task force is going to meet with the content creators to see what they can do.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Darth TNT posted:

Lol, the Niantic task force is going to meet with the content creators to see what they can do.

lol and lmao

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
What's the skinny on the new legendarys and mons? Any worth caring about for now?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
They gave the wolves pretty decent moves (Snarl, Close Combat, Wild Charge for Sword, Moonblast for Shield). Their stats mean they chiefly look like contenders in Masters but not a lot else. Their secondary forms will probably be better - shield especially gets a bunch of defense in that form so it'll probably improve for PVP. Be prepared to spend lots of TMs on Fast Moves since they have 4 each.

Dubwool is trash because it's starved for fast moves.

Greedent seems like it should be a decent niche pick, but it might be better with more Charge options (only has Body Slam and Crunch currently). They could conceivably give it Counter at some point (it learns it by level up in Sw/Sh), which would basically make it Better Vigoroth since it's a bit bulkier and Crunch is generally better than Bulldoze.

Falinks looks pretty solid (more than I would have thought considering its stats) for Great and Ultra (though a bit more for Premier). Counter/Superpower/Megahorn is a pretty good move set, though it makes for pretty similar coverage to Escavalier. Needs XL for Ultra League.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This stupid game. I shot an excellent shadow ball at an unshielded Mewtwo in Master League and it did no damage. The game either lagged so bad that it didn’t register server side it was excellent or it didn’t take a shield off despite shielding. Ended up losing what should have been an easy match due to that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This stupid game. I shot an excellent shadow ball at an unshielded Mewtwo in Master League and it did no damage. The game either lagged so bad that it didn’t register server side it was excellent or it didn’t take a shield off despite shielding. Ended up losing what should have been an easy match due to that.

That sucks but are you sure? There's a glitch i've noticed that during a simul attack if the pokemon defending the first one shields you won't see the shield because the focus immdiately goes too close to the defender as they power up their attack.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Falinks looks amazing and lol of lols it didn't make the raids because it would be glitched. (It's probably too long and would clip through your pokemon)
PS I wuv my armored exeggcutes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
New life goal, get faliks, alolan exeggutor and wailord in the same gym

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To everyone who hasn't yet: make Falinks your buddy and walk with it on the map. No need to thank me.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hey ShinyVII & PinkiesCarousel, we're a gift away from BFFs. Let me know if/when you wanna do the egg thing

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

HootTheOwl posted:

To everyone who hasn't yet: make Falinks your buddy and walk with it on the map. No need to thank me.

I know there's no need but I'll thank you anyway. This is great.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

HootTheOwl posted:

If you do so, just be responsible when at traffic lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFgepMA6mg

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gengar taking outside position vs Falinks

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Hobo Clown posted:

Hey ShinyVII & PinkiesCarousel, we're a gift away from BFFs. Let me know if/when you wanna do the egg thing

ShinyVII here, go ahead and open whenever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Haha yay! :stoked: :yeeclaw:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Beginner's luck but I am 6-0 with falinks in my party for the new Great Lague. He therefore gets retired to protect himself.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nothing like going 5-0, new league comes in, trying out a team and instantly getting smashed 0-5 no matter if I win or lose the lead. God drat

Every fight of course coming down to me either mashing a charge move that doesn't go off or trying to bank one and the enemy pulling that off with a millimeter of health. Maybe someday I should look at IVs for my guys instead of relying on matchups since I am unable to get last 2050 ranking these days

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ex candies are dumb. I can defit my way to max level but it's stupid that my opponent can't. Getting to win because I cheated two extra levels onto my pokemon is just dumb.
My apologies to everyone in the master league: I need to win 30 times for the level up achievement and then I'll be gone.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Not sure if it's just been my luck so far but regular Great League seems to have turned into the Jellicent League.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

HootTheOwl posted:

Ex candies are dumb. I can defit my way to max level but it's stupid that my opponent can't. Getting to win because I cheated two extra levels onto my pokemon is just dumb.
My apologies to everyone in the master league: I need to win 30 times for the level up achievement and then I'll be gone.

Do you mean XL candies or is there a secret way to get to level 52 because I also defit my way up.

I had a friend throw 30 matches for me, made that real fast.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Not sure if it's just been my luck so far but regular Great League seems to have turned into the Jellicent League.

Yep. I don't really have anything that works in the open leagues (best GL team is shadowtoed/haunter/talonflame, I have an umbreon to replace haunter but its not battle ready yet, and best UL team is umbreon/espeon/sylveon) so it's wait for new season for me.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 25, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

angrygodofjebus posted:

I haven't seen one yet. Which is too bad since Lanturn is my lead and I would love to spam some bolts.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oyster posted:

Do you mean XL candies or is there a secret way to get to level 52 because I also defit my way up.

Yeah, XL. I'm sure EX will be for levels 50-60 in pokemon go beyond 2: Go beyonder

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Am I gonna miss anything major if I don't complete this Ultra Unlock challenge quest? Kind of burned out on these things but I remember them doing something earlier where you needed to complete 4 unlock challenges to get the super duper rewards sometime last year. Is this the same thing or am I clear to skip it?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't seen one yet. Which is too bad since Lanturn is my lead and I would love to spam some bolts.

Started at 2550 today and saw a ton, including multiple leads in a row. I am leading Medicham, so not exactly ideal.

Parrotine posted:

Am I gonna miss anything major if I don't complete this Ultra Unlock challenge quest? Kind of burned out on these things but I remember them doing something earlier where you needed to complete 4 unlock challenges to get the super duper rewards sometime last year. Is this the same thing or am I clear to skip it?

Don't think it matters at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Parrotine posted:

I don't think so but the only task you have to put in effort for is the two raids, and Galar Fetch is a new shiny/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah I'm lost again. Ranking dropped from 2100 to 1900, either I run jellicent and lose to counters or just lose to it. It's a varied enough league otherwise I can't figure out what to do, in trying shadow champ+shadow Beedrill with a bunch of other options and just failing horribly. Lost 4 matches in a row with lag and rage quit