Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's the worst least satisfying weapon in the game
except with the aspect of hestia then it's pretty fun

Oh, there actually is a rocket launcher? Cool, I love the variety of weapons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

At the very least I always find it funny when somebody comes marching into the forums, downright fuming because goons TRICKED them, just absolutely BAMBOOZLED them into...buying a $20 game but then it turned out they didn't like it! How DARE they!!! :argh:

just to be clear to any goons out there. if i recommend a game i also implicitly recommend you pirate it first to see if it works on your PC and if you actually like it.

paying for PC games is basically a donation. you dont have to pay if you dont want. so make sure you pay for the correct games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

John Murdoch posted:

At the very least I always find it funny when somebody comes marching into the forums, downright fuming because goons TRICKED them, just absolutely BAMBOOZLED them into...buying a $20 game but then it turned out they didn't like it! How DARE they!!! :argh:

Hmm you're right, nobody should ever try anything new or even slightly different, based off the recommendation of anyone else, ever

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

this must be unpopular just because it's a really simple adventure game, but The Lion's Song is real good

https://store.steampowered.com/app/437160/The_Lions_Song_Episode_1__Silence/

They offer the first episode for free, it's imo the weakest episode, but gives you an idea of what the rest of the game is like, give it a shot
(it's "episodic" but the game is finished, every episode is a character and you can run through each in like 45 minutes, it's just a good story about creativity and making art)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

!Klams posted:

Oh, there actually is a rocket launcher? Cool, I love the variety of weapons!

It's a pew-pew machinegun that shoots rockets on its heavy attack.
Actually by default the alt fire is a mortar/bomb thing that goes up in the air and then comes down to explode in an AOE. But one of the hammer upgrades changes it to a straight-ahead rocket.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

fridge corn posted:

Hmm you're right, nobody should ever try anything new or even slightly different, based off the recommendation of anyone else, ever

I think there's a real problem on this site of people wildly misinterpreting other people's posts and then responding to the version they've made up in their heads, but yes I agree that I should kill the prime minister and staple his face over my face

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

just to be clear to any goons out there. if i recommend a game i also implicitly recommend you pirate it first to see if it works on your PC and if you actually like it.

paying for PC games is basically a donation. you dont have to pay if you dont want. so make sure you pay for the correct games

i used to crack and pirate games back in the day, when that required assembly language programming skills to reverse engineer the copy protection, so i am very open to the whole try before you buy thing.

having said that, if a game is really really good, like titanfall 2 for example, i bought it five times just to show the publisher how much i really, really like it.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 16, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fridge corn posted:

i use goons' opinions to decide which games to check out but then use my own personal judgement to look at some gameplay videos and decide whether the goons are idiots with objectively wrong taste and this game doesn't look fun at all

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's a pew-pew machinegun that shoots rockets on its heavy attack.
Actually by default the alt fire is a mortar/bomb thing that goes up in the air and then comes down to explode in an AOE. But one of the hammer upgrades changes it to a straight-ahead rocket.

I have burned so many builds taking the final random hammer to try and get the triple fire rocket shotgun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

each individual's threshold for buying or pirating is different, and i think someone ought to be allowed to pirate the software of their choosing and they dont need to justify it to anybody. drm is a waste of everyone's time and money (except for the grifters who program and license it out to publishers lol). it's like building a high-ground flooding shelter to protect yourself from an earthquake

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Triarii posted:

Hades was pretty fun but I wish there were more roguelikes that were about deliberately putting together a build, then taking it into a run to see how it performs, then going back to workshop it and iterate to make it better, instead of randomly getting handed a build during a run. But that would require character builds to be balanced, and most roguelikes use the randomness as an excuse to not be even remotely balanced. Like at some point in Hades I lucked into a build that not only got me to the final boss for the first time but let me kill him without losing any of my extra lives or really even needing to try very hard. Same basic thing happened in Noita. It feels like an anticlimactic way to beat a game that you've been trying to learn and master.

What you're basically describing is just Pillars of Eternity or any of those Diablo-like games :v:

Roguelikes have randomization because otherwise you're just basically on a timer until someone comes up with The Best Build and then that whole mechanic of experimentation, trial and error, etc etc just... stops being a thing. Since everyone will just go online, look up the current Best Build and just do that instead.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ilmucche posted:

I have burned so many builds taking the final random hammer to try and get the triple fire rocket shotgun

Keep at it, it's worth it. Took the tiny vermin down in twenty seconds

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

having internet hype actively affect your enjoyment of a game is the sign of someone who is weak of mind and spirit

just play the game and stop internalising the collective zeitgeist of internet forums

that being said, botw sucks and is overrated

This first part is wisdom. Once you stop hyping yourself for a game or movie or anything really and just expect the worst then you will never be disappointed.
I ignored Cyberpunk for the most part and only watched the two first trailers. Sounded like my dream game since I like Shadowrun and that's pretty much the same. Then it came out and was a shitshow so I just shrugged. I got it for free a couple of months later and it was actually really good. Buggy as gently caress and it ran like rear end on my lovely PC but it was exactly the game I wanted.

But Breath of the Wild is amazing so you can go teach your grandma to suck eggs!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

roomtone posted:

gaming perspectives ranked

1st: any perspective except isometric
last place: isometric

No. Wrong.

First of all I think what you mean is 3/4 view. From what I understand isometric is a way of drawing 2d scenes and characters that then appear 3d and isn't used in all 3/4 view games.

Also pure top down is by far the worst view, 3/4 is so much better and more intuitive

Lodin posted:

Death Stranding made me realize my sexuality so it has that going for it.

So that's why all my Amazon packages have been covered in cum recently

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
BoTW is good for what it is, but it took a long time for me to warm to it because it's not a Zelda game. it's good, but it doesn't have the structure of a Zelda game at all.

I like the regular format of 7 or 8 temples, kill the 3 thingies in this room to get the compass, get the special item required to progress through the dungeon and kill the boss, etc. Same reason I like Pokemon, Big Macs, and Tom Clancy novels - I know exactly what I'm about to get every single time even if it's the same garbage it's always been.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I love that Zelda is so mind numbingly boring that the addition of Rust level crafting is seen as some sort of additional feature worth praising

Really highlights how poo poo that entire series has been. IMO the only good Zelda style game is the first Dark Cloud.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Nintendo really had to shake Zelda up after Skyward Sword (and even Twilight Princess, both got complaints over how predictable and same-old the series' structure had become). I think it was for the best but it's probably going to end up like Resident Evil after 4 shook everything up where they'll go too far and have to go back to "yup, go into this dungeon and defeat a boss with the item you find in here...OH poo poo GANON!".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My take on the BotW weapon durability thing is that I like the breakable weapons but I think a lot of the game design clashes with that system (though not badly enough to make me not love the game).

The way Link's defense stat can scale into the stratosphere is, I think, the root of the problem. Defense is completely linear--if an attack does 40 damage to Link (10 hearts) and Link has 35 defense, he only takes 5 damage. Weapons do flat damage and there's no real "damage formula." If a weapon has 40 attack power, it does 40 damage per swing, unless modified in some way (attack-boosting gear or food on Link, some enemies get a few points of bonus damage). So weapon attack power has to scale super high to keep up with Link's huge defense stat, and as a result, enemy health also has to scale really high to keep up with the damage Link can deal with mid- to late-game weapons.

This ends up creating a loop where you need high-damage weapons later in the game, and because your bombs and other physics interactions don't really scale their damage, you also don't get to improvise as much as you do in the early game. It enters kind of a negative spiral, I think, and makes the weapon breaking more frustrating than it needs to be. Master Mode just makes it worse by scaling enemy health even higher.

Anyway BotW is also a prime example of how I can write paragraphs of criticisms about games I absolutely love and how just about all of my favorite games have huge flaws but are much greater than the sum of their parts to me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont understand why people are still having "takes" about botw as though its some sort of major ongoing controversy.

like i enjoyed the game for a bit and then got bored and put it down, it was just kind of average and i forgot about most of it, and i dont get why people still have such strong opinions about the experience either way that so many people are talking about it four years after release

also to contribute an actual unpopular opinion: i fundamentally dont get the appeal of the entire "deckbuilder" genre of games

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 18, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

also to contribute an actual unpopular opinion: i fundamentally dont get the appeal of the entire "deckbuilder" genre of games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSwBEkg5BU4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i dont understand why people are still having "takes" about botw as though its some sort of major ongoing controversy.

like i enjoyed the game for a bit and then got bored and put it down, it was just kind of average and i forgot about most of it, and i dont get why people still have such strong opinions about the experience either way that so many people are talking about it four years after release

I dunno why it stuck with people so much but it also definitely stuck with me, but also I think it's just an interesting game to talk about design-wise. Plus the sequel recently had a (kinda) gameplay reveal and that got a lot of people writing hot take articles about weapon durability and whether or not it should be in the sequel.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea even with this game that is supposed to be a parody of the genre, it just became so tedious as soon as the guy started actualy explaining the rules that i had to turn it off before he even got to whatever was meant to be funny

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

yea even with this game that is supposed to be a parody of the genre, it just became so tedious as soon as the guy started actualy explaining the rules that i had to turn it off before he even got to whatever was meant to be funny

oh its not a good game. the joke is on whoever buys it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harrow posted:

My take on the BotW weapon durability thing is that I like the breakable weapons but I think a lot of the game design clashes with that system (though not badly enough to make me not love the game).

The way Link's defense stat can scale into the stratosphere is, I think, the root of the problem. Defense is completely linear--if an attack does 40 damage to Link (10 hearts) and Link has 35 defense, he only takes 5 damage. Weapons do flat damage and there's no real "damage formula." If a weapon has 40 attack power, it does 40 damage per swing, unless modified in some way (attack-boosting gear or food on Link, some enemies get a few points of bonus damage). So weapon attack power has to scale super high to keep up with Link's huge defense stat, and as a result, enemy health also has to scale really high to keep up with the damage Link can deal with mid- to late-game weapons.

This ends up creating a loop where you need high-damage weapons later in the game, and because your bombs and other physics interactions don't really scale their damage, you also don't get to improvise as much as you do in the early game. It enters kind of a negative spiral, I think, and makes the weapon breaking more frustrating than it needs to be. Master Mode just makes it worse by scaling enemy health even higher.

Anyway BotW is also a prime example of how I can write paragraphs of criticisms about games I absolutely love and how just about all of my favorite games have huge flaws but are much greater than the sum of their parts to me.

Also the inventory management sucks and was clearly meant to be a WiiU second screen thing but oops.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

https://youtu.be/i6c4Nupnup0

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lay some thoughts on me about Mortal Shell, please. It just came out on Steam (it was already out for a while on Epic???) and I got store credit I could blow. Particularly curious about this "roguelike" mode or whatever.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it's been out for a while. It had a year exclusivity on the epics.

I heard it's short and not very deep.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

itry posted:

Yeah, it's been out for a while. It had a year exclusivity on the epics.

I heard it's short and not very deep.

l...mao? (not sure if rude)

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/17/21369422/mortal-shell-review-pc-ps4-xbox-one-steam-epic-soulslike-cold-symmetry

these guys seemed to like it ok

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's what I read around a year ago :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breath of the Wild has so many awful things it does that I'm still impressed that the thing that made me quit was how treasure chests worked

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Botw really need weather control. Rain in that game is anti fun

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

its because people say its literally the best game of all time

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It is

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yeah, the best game for a clown to poop on

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I feel like that would be something with more surface area? Like one of those big neo geo cartridges or something that came on a lot of discs

Depends on what the goal of the clown is I guess

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

its because people say its literally the best game of all time

Nintendo fanboys spent 10 years playing garbage Wii/U games and then got a taste of what modern gaming had to offer and it blew their minds.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

flavor.flv posted:

Depends on what the goal of the clown is I guess

pooping

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

is pepsi ok posted:

Nintendo fanboys spent 10 years playing garbage Wii/U games and then got a taste of what modern gaming had to offer and it blew their minds.

Its this

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I hadn't had a console since PS2/Gamecube times and was playing PC games, many with open worlds like Skyrim, AC Origins/Odyssey, Far Cry etc. Then I got a deal on a Switch with just BotW and it blew my mind. Admittedly I've been a Zelda player since the original but I definitely wasn't a committed console cowboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Lay some thoughts on me about Mortal Shell, please. It just came out on Steam (it was already out for a while on Epic???) and I got store credit I could blow. Particularly curious about this "roguelike" mode or whatever.

It's a dark souls so a roguelike mode would loving suck. Otherwise, it's not bad, it's pretty short but has some cool ideas. I think it was the last of that type of game I finished before realizing I think I'm completely done with dark souls style games.