Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ascension of the Cybermen is on telly and man, I like to try and be nice to the show, but gosh those Cyber Drones are naff hey

The Lone Cyberman design with the messed up helmet with human face still showing underneath is one thing I'll always give this series, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I love the Cybermen, but I feel Big Finish has done a better job with them since the revival.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

I love the Cybermen, but I feel Big Finish has done a better job with them since the revival.

There's no good Cyberman stories in the original run after 1969

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's no good Cyberman stories in the original run after 1969

I liked Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel, especially the first episode cliffhanger, but then they got jobbed out to a couple of Daleks and it's been all downhill ever since.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Cybermen are only ever interesting when their body-horror aspect is played up. Otherwise they're just dull robotic thugs who exist to be easily blown up, or melodramatic fist-clenchers who get entirely too emotional about confronting the Doctor. Sometimes both in the same story!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're really only great in the three Marc Platt plays tbh. Though Joe Lidster's three Cybermen plays handle the existential threat they present pretty well, while deliberately pushing the Cybermen themselves to the margins of the plays.

You've also got Eddie Robson's Human Resources, which is an excellent play but also not a particularly good Cyberman story, if you follow my drift.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t like them repeatedly playing second fiddle to the Master because they need an army and can’t be menacing all on their own.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1428371648735023107?s=20

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Earth shock is the best Doctor who series of all time because they kill Adrick.

It's also a Cybermen series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trish will not be appearing as she now works for the Time Lords.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1428140303655989252?s=21

Oh god, please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of the signs that JMS might not be the right person to capture the British idiom of Doctor Who is that he seems to think that if you offer your services and a British person replies with 'well, we have our own process, but we'll keep you in mind if that doesn't work out' that means he's still got a chance, and not that he's just been told in no uncertain terms to gently caress off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"How did it go with the British?"
"They were very polite."
"Oh no :ohdear:"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"They were very polite."

Hilariously true.

“How did it go with the British?”
“They insulted me to my face.”
“Oh! Well done! When do you start?”

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm in the "Oh god, please no" camp myself. I liked Babylon 5 a lot back in the day, but there isnt much British sci-fi around these days, I'd rather not put an American in charge of Who if there are any possible alternatives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah gently caress JMS. Y'all want B5 but he'd deliver Rising Stars.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

"They were very polite."

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously true.

“How did it go with the British?”
“They insulted me to my face.”
“Oh! Well done! When do you start?”

I haven't laughed this hard in forever. Well done.

Whichever showrunner they end up choosing, I hope there's a move away from "revealing the Doctor's REAL past" and a move towards them being nothing more than a madman/madwoman with a box. I loved the ninth season (Capaldi and all the two-parters), but it didn't need the whole "Hybrid" thing tying it together. I just want the Doctor to arrive, raise hell, and leave.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah gently caress JMS. Y'all want B5 but he'd deliver Rising Stars.

My feeling is there's a 20% chance he'd be amazing but an 80% chance it would be a new low for Who. I wouldn't take those odds.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Lisagreenwood20/status/1428692840691994630?s=20

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Happy birthday Sylvester McCoy, Anthony Ainley, Sophie Aldred, and Sophie Aldred’s mother.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Happy birthday Sylvester McCoy, Anthony Ainley, Sophie Aldred, and Sophie Aldred’s mother.

Also, a Dalek's birthday:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1428658241798643715?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish are having a Sylvester McCoy sale atm. I already picked up Protect and Survive the other week, anything else essential? I was thinking about getting Dark Universe, but it's only a £1 off. Is Love and War any good? I've hardly touched any of the Benny material so far.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Love and War is the only BF Doctor Who that I was never able to finish. And I've listened to Nekromentia.

Suggestions:

Colditz
The Dark Flame
Live 34
Night Thoughts
No Man's Land
Enemy of the Daleks
A Death in the Family
Revenge of the Swarm

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 20, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Hex seems to complain about the Doctor, like, a lot. Philip Oliver is really fun in the role though.

I don't seem why people don't like The Dark Flame? It's a bit by the numbers, sure, but its serviceable. People online act like its irredeemably awful or something. Most of the script seems to be the words 'skull' and 'flame' a lot.

Just finished Protect and Survive. It was very good, giving me a sort of When the Wind Blows or Threads vibes and really putting the characters through the ringer. Stranding Ace and Hex in a bleak, unwinnable situation with no way out was really interesting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of my friends brought this thing I made back to my attention earlier tonight, so gently caress it. You all have to remember too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwB2MBJXsvk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching City of Death on the midnight pbs run and it’s probably my favorite so far. The detective is the goofiest and most Douglas Adams-iest thing I’ve seen in the series. I love the idea of the show going on-location in Paris and 90% of the episode being set in a basement. Also a story that jumps between art forgery and the origin of life on Earth in a great comic mix of low stakes and high stakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The cliffhanger where the Doctor jumps back several centuries to Italy, bumps into a past version of the main bad guy from the present day who immediately knows who he is despite not meeting him for several centuries and actually asks what THE DOCTOR is doing back in time has got to be up there with one of the best cliffhangers the show has ever done.

"What are YOU doing here, Doctor?" :vince:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Plus all the snarky dialogue between the Doctor, Romana, Duggan, and Count Scarlioni is wonderful. Almost approaching "Avon and Vila from Blake's 7" levels. :D

Jerusalem posted:

The cliffhanger where the Doctor jumps back several centuries to Italy, bumps into a past version of the main bad guy from the present day who immediately knows who he is despite not meeting him for several centuries and actually asks what THE DOCTOR is doing back in time has got to be up there with one of the best cliffhangers the show has ever done.

"What are YOU doing here, Doctor?" :vince:

Also the guy who plays Captain Tancredi's henchman, in the Italian setting you mentioned is, IIRC, the very same "Packer... :smuggo:" from the Troughton story The Invasion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wife and I have just started the Thirteenth Doctor. We did not enjoy the first 3 episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It sort of finds its feet soon, but it doesn’t really improve as such. You’ve got a handful of goodish episodes to come, and if you want to just do those, no-one would blame you.

- Demons of the Punjab
- The Witchfinders
- It Takes You Away - the best of the season

Season 12:
- Spyfall
- Fugitive of the Judoon - the best of the season
- Can You Hear Me?
- Haunting of Villa Diodati

And this, which is the best bit of the 13th Doctor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ED6CGmjm4

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 23, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It would be nice if when you're buying from Big Finish, if you already own a title in a bundle, you could swap it out with another from the same range that costs the same. I'm gonna get the second Hex/Ace bundle, but I already own The Magic Mousetrap and Protect and Survive. Ah well, still a good deal.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

I haven't laughed this hard in forever. Well done.

Whichever showrunner they end up choosing, I hope there's a move away from "revealing the Doctor's REAL past" and a move towards them being nothing more than a madman/madwoman with a box. I loved the ninth season (Capaldi and all the two-parters), but it didn't need the whole "Hybrid" thing tying it together. I just want the Doctor to arrive, raise hell, and leave.

Much like Star Trek Strange New Worlds going episodic, the best change to Doctor Who would be to take away the Doctor's control of the TARDIS. Time Lord intervention, broken parts, Randomizer, whatever. Just make it so they show up, have no idea where they are, mess about, and leave.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Astroman posted:

Much like Star Trek Strange New Worlds going episodic, the best change to Doctor Who would be to take away the Doctor's control of the TARDIS. Time Lord intervention, broken parts, Randomizer, whatever. Just make it so they show up, have no idea where they are, mess about, and leave.

The entire show would be better off just being Sliders with a rotating cast.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Adapt Big Finish audios into proper animated stories by studios with a proper animation team

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I keep getting random doctor who clips on facebook, and the "you know, i think you might" from the 50th anniversary still brings a tear to my eye

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I keep getting random doctor who clips on facebook, and the "you know, i think you might" from the 50th anniversary still brings a tear to my eye

That was so goddamn great.

Also "No sir..... THIRTEEN!" :vince:

Edit: And watching it again, still love the moment 10 says,"I started a very long time ago..." and you get the pitch-perfect Hartnell soundalike come in. :hellyeah:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 24, 2021

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That was so goddamn great.

Also "No sir..... THIRTEEN!" :vince:

Edit: And watching it again, still love the moment 10 says,"I started a very long time ago..." and you get the pitch-perfect Hartnell soundalike come in. :hellyeah:

"Come in, Time Lords of Gallifrey! This is the Doctor!"

That and "I'm a Doctor! But probably not the one you were expecting!" always make me smile.

And Tom Baker's "Oh, if I were you... Maybe I was you! Or maybe you were me!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still eh, who knows...
taps nose
Who. knows.

Goddamn Day of the Doctor was so loving good!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I would have liked a bit less of the Zygon subplot and more Time War stuff, but yeah, it was good. John Hurt was wonderful, and it gave us Night of the Doctor.

Just listened to Enemy of the Daleks, and I could really get a feel for the 'look' of this story through the sound design. With a bit of imagination, I could picture the sets and characters and that BBC film grain if this had been made for the 1990 or 1991 season that never happened. Nothing ground breaking, just a really well done base under siege story that just got the feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was such a naïve little Whovian that I assumed we'd actually have The Doctor go hunting for Gallifrey after DotD.

I also thought we'd get an episode where Twelve got the call to go participate in the special. :doh: