Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011
I want to give a big recommendation for the Sounds Like Crowes Podcast, which is wrapping up their main campaign right now and has been really knocking it out of the park, consistently, and especially right now. I've never played Deadlands (Savage Worlds setting in The Weird West) but the story, production, and great chemistry around the table have kept me coming back to this pod for like two years, now. If you're not sure you want to commit to five seasons of a fake cowboy story I would at least try out the series of episodes somewhere in season 5 called By Grace, where the regular cast do a couple of sessions with new characters in a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any AP videos/podcast series of Strike!? It seems like an intriguing game, but very niche.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Quick question: Is there a strong preference for background music in actual plays? I'm considering cutting it out of mine where possible just because it's such a pain in the rear end to edit. What do you guys think?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gray Ghost posted:

Quick question: Is there a strong preference for background music in actual plays? I'm considering cutting it out of mine where possible just because it's such a pain in the rear end to edit. What do you guys think?

I have strong feelings about this. :colbert:

I must say, I really prefer that there be some light battle music going during combat. NADDPOD does that and The Adventure Zone does not, and as someone who listens to NADDPOD religiously and just recently got back into TAZ, listening to anything where initiative is rolled and there's no music playing feels so weird and empty. I feel like the music really helps elevate the stakes of fights. Also, sort of like in a video game, it lets you know whether or not you're in danger, which you can then subvert to your heart's content.

Feel free to take all of this with a grain of salt tho; the few times a year I'm able to get a a session going with friends I'm always the DJ because BGM has such a huge impact on my ability to roleplay and get into the game. I'm sure there are others who literally couldn't give less of a poo poo either way

E: Forgot to mention that Androids and Aliens (and I assume Glass Cannon) also uses background music which I appreciate, but they're live play so that's a bit different.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gray Ghost posted:

Yeah, the problem is unless you don't actually edit much it is better to play without it and add it back in for the release version.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, the problem is unless you don't actually edit much it is better to play without it and add it back in for the release version.

Oh yeah absolutely, sorry if I missed that in the original post. I edit a podcast (not AP) and the thought of editing around in-room background music is an absolute nightmare. Hopefully you meant whether or not to add it in post!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm enjoying the new season of Friends at the Table quite a lot. My only complaint is that I wish there was a tier of danger to the game they are playing that was "this justifies a roll, but not a fallout test" because I think it kind of undermines the mechanic when people are getting fallouts for relatively low risk things and it takes a while to sort out what the fallout is and even as someone who loves listening to crunch I wouldn't mind if this mechanic appeared 25% less often.

Really excited for the midseason mini game they are starting to play in the episode I just listened to. Talking to border patrol is indeed real gothic horror.

Gray Ghost posted:

While I enjoy background music, it's not going to make me listen to a show that isn't very good otherwise, or stop me from listening to a show I like. It's pretty low on the bandwidth of things I think about.

With that said, speaking of FatT above, the way they use music really is wonderful. Especially in Counterweight and Twilight Mirage where they do some really ambitious stuff with the music. But in any of their games, when when you start to hear music, you know some poo poo is about to go down and it really increases the poignancy of the moment.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 4, 2021

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

timp posted:

Oh yeah absolutely, sorry if I missed that in the original post. I edit a podcast (not AP) and the thought of editing around in-room background music is an absolute nightmare. Hopefully you meant whether or not to add it in post!

Oh, boy, let me tell you...

So, because I had no experience in structuring audio, the first 6 episodes do not have background music. From episode 7 to episode 25, I accidentally put background music on the same track as the voice track and I kick myself every day because of it.

I'm basically editing together the first non-background music episodes into a bank of 12 podcast episodes and am debating whether or not to add music in post. I can't do anything for episodes 7 to 25 :-/

That said, I am making sure to use Zencastr to record voice audio separately while using a lower-fidelity stream mix on our upcoming streams.

You can see exactly what I'm talking about here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdroInu4NfP0oN2IKVSFiQ0lIcdsKBxah

It's Invisible Sun, so it's not everyone's cup of tea but we do a lot to really make it shine.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 10, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I can't think of any songs I'd actually want to listen to during an actual play, which wouldn't also get the show DMCAed off the internet by an angry rightsholder. At least if the royalty free music in Roll20 is any indication.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

mellonbread posted:

I can't think of any songs I'd actually want to listen to during an actual play, which wouldn't also get the show DMCAed off the internet by an angry rightsholder. At least if the royalty free music in Roll20 is any indication.

Rude Tales of Magic uses a lot of classical/operatic stuff that's pretty open.

And also Ghost With A Boner, but that was more work and money.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mellonbread posted:

How We Roll Podcast and Y'all of Cthulhu do a good job of sparingly adding mood music and effects to accentuate the atmosphere. Here's their combined playthrough of the Unland scenario as a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okhkMgEil_I

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

timp posted:

One time for a gig, I had to edit around a stream's background music, and let me tell you, that is a poo poo loving ton of work. If you're ever gonna record a stream with BGM, please please please make sure it's recorded to a separate track.

Gray Ghost posted:

Oh, boy, let me tell you...

:negative:

I write a ton of music for my own show! For action sequences, I tend to write a series of loops of various instrumentation and sort of cycle through them and mix and match and try to give a little bit of a nice push and pull along with the play. I like to think it's kind of similar to the feel of dynamic music in a video game. And to blatantly brag: It's gotten us nominated for awards at a small festival!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Are there any AP videos/podcast series of Strike!? It seems like an intriguing game, but very niche.

Six Feats Under did it as a short run: https://www.sixfeatsunder.com/bonus-feats/strike

I haven't listened to it because I'm just getting into their stuff, but they also have an interview with the designer.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Octatonic posted:

One time for a gig, I had to edit around a stream's background music, and let me tell you, that is a poo poo loving ton of work. If you're ever gonna record a stream with BGM, please please please make sure it's recorded to a separate track.

:negative:

I write a ton of music for my own show! For action sequences, I tend to write a series of loops of various instrumentation and sort of cycle through them and mix and match and try to give a little bit of a nice push and pull along with the play. I like to think it's kind of similar to the feel of dynamic music in a video game. And to blatantly brag: It's gotten us nominated for awards at a small festival!

I LOVE YOUR SHOW! I listened for the NJ Web Festival!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gray Ghost posted:

I LOVE YOUR SHOW! I listened for the NJ Web Festival!

Yo! What!? Thank you for nominating us for a trillion god drat categories! We're all flattered!

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Totally earned. I hope you sweep it!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

For bg music. One of the things i absolutely love about dragon friends is that they just have a musician playing live during the show. It really adds to the energy and the dynamic

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'm a big fan of Into the Darkness. Here are some fun games to listen or watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9_3cwkMcY Mr Corbitt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19s_Eu8iEQ Uncle Timothy's Will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2nu9ynJIqE Dissociation

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'm a big fan of Into the Darkness. Here are some fun games to listen or watch:

Can you or anyone explain what’s going on with their podcast feed? It’s a mass of almost random episode numbers

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Can you or anyone explain what’s going on with their podcast feed? It’s a mass of almost random episode numbers

I believe they're a Youtube-first channel and the thumbnails might make it easier for you to understand.

They basically mostly run published CoC one-shots. The episode's title is usually whatever the module they're running is called. If there's a "version 3" or whatever, it means they ran that three times with different groups and it's all on the channel. If there's a "episode 11", it's part of a long campaign run.

I find that channel a good resource for "hmmm, I'd really like to run that module but I don't know how to approach it, I wonder if anyone recorded themselves playing through it".

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megazver posted:

I believe they're a Youtube-first channel and the thumbnails might make it easier for you to understand.

They basically mostly run published CoC one-shots. The episode's title is usually whatever the module they're running is called. If there's a "version 3" or whatever, it means they ran that three times with different groups and it's all on the channel. If there's a "episode 11", it's part of a long campaign run.

I find that channel a good resource for "hmmm, I'd really like to run that module but I don't know how to approach it, I wonder if anyone recorded themselves playing through it".

gotcha, makes sense.

unfortunately, that makes it exceptionally difficult to listen to on the go, which is too bad cause it looks cool.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

gotcha, makes sense.

unfortunately, that makes it exceptionally difficult to listen to on the go, which is too bad cause it looks cool.

I mean, most of them are one-offs, you can listen to them in any order.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Going back to the subject of APs in general, this thread on Reddit has dozens of good suggestions for non-D&D APs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/p29spq/what_are_the_best_rpg_actualplay_podcasts_that/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megazver posted:

I mean, most of them are one-offs, you can listen to them in any order.

Yeah but there are 885 episodes in the feed and they’re not grouped by campaign or adventure. Masks of nyarlathotep is ~40 episodes almost randomly inserted in batches of 2-3 at time with multiple other stories in between, for example.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Yeah but there are 885 episodes in the feed and they’re not grouped by campaign or adventure. Masks of nyarlathotep is ~40 episodes almost randomly inserted in batches of 2-3 at time with multiple other stories in between, for example.

Like I said, I listen to their stuff for research on specific short Modules. For Masks, I'd listen to some other AP, tbh.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Megazver posted:

Going back to the subject of APs in general, this thread on Reddit has dozens of good suggestions for non-D&D APs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/p29spq/what_are_the_best_rpg_actualplay_podcasts_that/

Toooooo many good shows, I can't listen to them all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone else also compiled all the suggestions there into a spreadsheet, for easier perusal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/p3as24/actual_play_podcasts_spreadsheet/

radlum
May 13, 2013
Any actual play podcast has played Candlekeep Mysteries?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can find people playing individual chapters on Youtube.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Actual Plays really sell how bad the latest iteration of Apple Podcasts is. Something like 6 Feats Under where I have saved many shows to go back and listen to when I reach the mythical state of caught up on my podcasts, but also wish to keep up with their Mouseguard show (which is great btw) good luck. So much scrolling and confusion.

I have moved nearly every show I listen to over to a different app but shows like this that sometimes need to be synced to my car iPod because they are fun to listen to in the woods, I would have to maintain two copies of each show.

E: Speaking of Mouseguard I just got to Eldrick (sp?). Oh god what a terrific character, lol.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 19, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rick posted:

Actual Plays really sell how bad the latest iteration of Apple Podcasts is. Something like 6 Feats Under where I have saved many shows to go back and listen to when I reach the mythical state of caught up on my podcasts, but also wish to keep up with their Mouseguard show (which is great btw) good luck. So much scrolling and confusion.

I have moved nearly every show I listen to over to a different app but shows like this that sometimes need to be synced to my car iPod because they are fun to listen to in the woods, I would have to maintain two copies of each show.

E: Speaking of Mouseguard I just got to Eldrick (sp?). Oh god what a terrific character, lol.

Not sure what devices you're syncing but Pocket Casts works to keep my pixel and iPod synced up

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Re-listening to Side Quest Side Sesh right now. I think when it was going on I was having a nightmare time with my anxiety and the pandemic was still super fresh and scary so I didn't fully appreciate it. It's super funny and silly, and then gets more tense and scary. If you're up for a funny Pathfinder Actual Play that isn't a massive investment, it's two medium length standalone adventures, about eighteen episodes each. On its own feed now due to Apple's weird 300 episode limit on podcasts.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.

El Generico posted:

Re-listening to Side Quest Side Sesh right now. I think when it was going on I was having a nightmare time with my anxiety and the pandemic was still super fresh and scary so I didn't fully appreciate it. It's super funny and silly, and then gets more tense and scary. If you're up for a funny Pathfinder Actual Play that isn't a massive investment, it's two medium length standalone adventures, about eighteen episodes each. On its own feed now due to Apple's weird 300 episode limit on podcasts.

The episodes are also up on YouTube if you prefer video. And if anyone needs convincing, I recommend checking out the scene with the ferryman in episode 2, starting at the 1:24:33 mark. It had me in tears.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Len posted:

Not sure what devices you're syncing but Pocket Casts works to keep my pixel and iPod synced up

An iPod classic. So yeah unfortunately stuck using Apple stuff there.

Which isn’t such a bad thing on the iPod end. It’s really wild how they pretty much solved the music player thing fifteen years ago then have spent all that time undoing it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rick posted:

Thank you so much! Congrats on making it near-current, I know we don't make it easy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Rick posted:

An iPod classic. So yeah unfortunately stuck using Apple stuff there.

Which isn’t such a bad thing on the iPod end. It’s really wild how they pretty much solved the music player thing fifteen years ago then have spent all that time undoing it.

Isn't it? I clung to my classic for years despite iTunes getting worse and worse and worse and I finally couldn't take it anymore and ultimately, I'm arguably doing better with my no-SIM Android phone...but it still has some real downsides in comparison and I doubt I'd ever have made the switch if Apple had just decided to leave well enough alone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rick posted:

try overcast with a mix of smart and non-smart playlists?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

try overcast with a mix of smart and non-smart playlists?

Overcast is great, definite fan.

malkav11 posted:

Isn't it? I clung to my classic for years despite iTunes getting worse and worse and worse and I finally couldn't take it anymore and ultimately, I'm arguably doing better with my no-SIM Android phone...but it still has some real downsides in comparison and I doubt I'd ever have made the switch if Apple had just decided to leave well enough alone.

Yep, half the reason I at least have used Android as a work phone here and there is because of dissatisfaction with the music player.

General Ironicus posted:

Thank you so much! Congrats on making it near-current, I know we don't make it easy.

I'm glad to. More people should listen!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

Gonna 2nd the Pretending to be People recommendation with a few notes.

~They play Delta Green with some Pulp Cthulhu mechanics (From what I understand it just makes the players a touch more sturdy and a few other minor mechanics, something with luck I guess? I don't play these games myself)
~They play a closed game; which means that when one member is somewhere else (like across the city) they leave the room they're playing in (or take off their headphones once you reach the episodes where the pandemic kicks in and they need to distance), also they can and do keep secrets this way. This CAN get confusing to listen to at first (especially in the beginning when they're bombarded with stuff) but you get used to it pretty quickly.
~They don't play Delta Green agents, they play small town cops just trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on.
~The music design is loving incredible, like seriously I've felt myself tense up in serious situations because of the music.
~They just recently posted episode 100 and are in the final arc of this campaign (They absolutely plan to do more campaigns)

Thought I'd mention the boys went an uploaded a 2.5 minute trailer if you wanna get a little, tiny sense of what goes on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejS3hiMgjis

Also they seem to have started uploading their episodes to youtube (audio only obs) as well if that's your thing.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gray Ghost posted:

Totally earned. I hope you sweep it!

We won Outstanding Actual Play (non d&d category) and best Ensemble! We're thrilled! I'm tired! Thank you for listening!