Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of the eversys, is there a decent automatic machine out there for home use?

I’ve had an nespresso before, but I’m thinking something a bit better where I can use my own coffee. I have a technivorm moccamaster but half the time I only fill the carafe half way. Maybe it’d be cool to pull an espresso shot every now and then or make a latte instead.

It’s probably like $1500+ for something I’m thinking about so I’ll probably just forget it. I had a crossland CC1 for a while with a virtuoso grinder and I got too frustrated about trying to dial my shots in. Nespresso is probably my only chance at something decent without the frustration.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nwin posted:

Speaking of the eversys, is there a decent automatic machine out there for home use?

I’ve had an nespresso before, but I’m thinking something a bit better where I can use my own coffee. I have a technivorm moccamaster but half the time I only fill the carafe half way. Maybe it’d be cool to pull an espresso shot every now and then or make a latte instead.

It’s probably like $1500+ for something I’m thinking about so I’ll probably just forget it. I had a crossland CC1 for a while with a virtuoso grinder and I got too frustrated about trying to dial my shots in. Nespresso is probably my only chance at something decent without the frustration.

Here's what bizwank, who repairs coffee machines, had to say the last time someone asked for superauto recommendations. He's talking about the Delonghi ESAM3300:

bizwank posted:

Not really; you're not going to get better coffee out of the Gaggia or Jura, but you'll have a far worse repair experience. Within any brand of super-auto their whole product line is going to have more or less the same parts inside, so you don't get a better shot by spending up into a nicer model, you just get more bells and whistles (and more expensive repairs). Delonghi makes a very solid, well-engineered machine, and if you're descaling it a couple times a year and rinsing off the brew unit every other week or so you should get anywhere from 5-10 years between services.

No more screwed then you would be for any other kitchen appliance; brand is the biggest factor in how easy it is to get service on them. Delonghi and Saeco/Phillips have service centers all over the US, and also happen to make the most reliable machines, so they're usually what I recommend (I don't sell them, just do repairs). Gaggia is a Saeco sub-brand and uses all the same parts but has much worse support coverage. The ~$550 (us) ESAM3300 has been the best buy on the market for some time now; if you want one that has a milk-frothing pitcher you're going to pay more, but in my experience the wands with the "panarello" training wheels attachment works just as well for the novice steamer.

Pretty much wrong on every point, especially considering that "good" is relative.The majority of Americans have a super-auto or pod machine at home (or a lovely $25 drip pot), and are perfectly happy with the coffee they produce. Unless your issue is a lack of counter-space, a dialed in super-auto will generally produce a better shot then a pod machine, especially considering you've got fresh-ground coffee and can control for roast date. Also good luck getting a pod machine repaired, vs any of the brands I mentioned above.

I'd never own a super-auto myself, but they're the right answer for a large segment of the espresso-at-home population, and the good brands are just as consistent and reliable as your Gaggia Classic, or Silvia, or E61-whatever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah but Starbucks tastes terrible while the specialty coffee people interviewed in the piece seem to be all for these newer automated machines. I just wasn't aware that things had advanced that far so that they made better coffee than most stores. I just want more affordable places outdoors to buy quality espressos and these things don't require much training.

A lot of shops try to follow the Starbucks model, so they also ruin the coffee to give you milk and sugar in everything. I've never had issues buying from shops that do a good job roasting, but there are too many shops that either don't roast, or I wonder if the roaster smokes a pack a day.

Saying that, there are a lot of shops out there that do a great job with their coffee, but they tend to find the high foot traffic zones in trendy neighborhoods, so they're accessible if you live there, but if you live in a suburban wasteland of Starbucks and Applebees, then you're going to have a harder time finding that great coffee shop. Hopefully these machines help, but I'm honestly not going to hold out hope. Most people do not fit into the refined taster category for most hobbies, so I wouldn't expect those second wave shops to drop big money on an auto machine. Not very many people are going to notice the taste, and they're not going to save on labor costs so why make the investment?

Those are great for offices, and lower traffic areas and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in a lot of parking lot coffee huts.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone know where I can get a non-pressurized basket for the ec155? Struggling to find anything on google, and I’d rather not hack up the one I have.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

This should fit it https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Coffee-Pressurized-Breville-GUSTINO/dp/B07JM8F4YS/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a new Comandante Mk4 grinder along with a big price increase. I want it but drat, $300 for a pour over grinder is kind of nuts.

https://www.specialtyturkishcoffee.com/product/comandante-c40-mk4-american-cherry/

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 14, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Seems to only work on the ec155 if you cut the plastic off the bottom of the portafilter. Thanks though.

Sucks that this thing uses a weird basket.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone know where I can get a non-pressurized basket for the ec155? Struggling to find anything on google, and I’d rather not hack up the one I have.

https://delonghi.encompass.com/item/9610683/Delonghi/607706/2_Cup_Filter?amp

Caveats: it's a bit big for a double so you should weigh your beans rather than eyeball, and the design of the portafilter assembly may have changed recently so it might not fit.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 14, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wanna buy a sub-1000 bucks spring lever machine? Now you can.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Wanna buy a sub-1000 bucks spring lever machine? Now you can.

Is this actually good? I'm intrigued and I can't find much about it online.

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I understand that this is heresy, and initially I was even ashamed of myself.

I purchased the new model Keurig where it actually brews your coffee mad slow, similar to doing a chemex/pourover at a normal rate, and it actually makes top tier coffee. Full bodied, well balanced, and braindead easy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jay Derkin posted:

Okay so I understand that this is heresy, and initially I was even ashamed of myself.

I purchased the new model Keurig where it actually brews your coffee mad slow, similar to doing a chemex/pourover at a normal rate, and it actually makes top tier coffee. Full bodied, well balanced, and braindead easy.

threadban

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah the heresy is real. Coming from a Chemex/French press master race position myself I was thoroughly surprised.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I will only trust the word of Hoffman. Get him to do it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah if british youtube coffee bae is down all bets are off

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did they increase the amount of coffee in the pods? Last I checked they put like 8 grams in there which isn't enough for a full bodied anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
enough for a full bodied landfill

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Did they increase the amount of coffee in the pods? Last I checked they put like 8 grams in there which isn't enough for a full bodied anything.

12 grams per pod and I make 6oz of coffee with each one. This new model also brews WAY slower than the old ones did. I had a deep burning hatreds for keurigs before I tried this one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That sounds more promising but I'd have to use two pods for my morning mug

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

That sounds more promising but I'd have to use two pods for my morning mug

Yeah that is the downside, but at 50 cents per pod I really can't complain. You can also get away with doing an 8-10oz cup if you don't mind a slightly-moderately less robust cup. Really depends on the mood I'm in.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm two weeks into my Flair Neo + JX Pro life and I am about ready to throw away my pour-over grinder + setup. The flexibility to quickly make any espresso drink is exciting, and it's only very slightly longer time for a single shot, ~5 minutes more if I do another one for later.. I currently even prefer an Americano over pour over if I'm feeling like a simple drink. I do two 12g brews instead of one 26g pour-over so my coffee is going a touch further too.

All that said, I'm in the honeymoon period so I'll be back on my lazy bullshit soon enough. Still, no way you could convince me to do a pod system at this point.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
On the flip side of that i’ve been brewing v60s more often than i pull shots lately. I do 30g to 500ml into a thermal tumbler which keeps it at a nice temperature for an hour or so, and drink that all morning since i don’t have anywhere to go right now since i’m between classes :shrug:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Turned on the espresso machine this morning it immediately tripped the breaker. Reset it tried again it started heating up then started smoking:piss:

Switched it off pulled all the side panels off and got to looking.

One of the ground wires looked like it smoked its insulation. Traced it to the pressurestat. One set of contacts looked like it had welded itself shut.
Switched the wires to an unused set and fit a replacement ground wire.

Fired it back up and it works fine again ☕

Probably gonna get a replacement pressurestat just because. I've seen things about wiring in a ssr relay so the p-stat itself isn't having to handle so much load I'll have to look into it more.

Anyways how was your morning?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Thumposaurus posted:

Turned on the espresso machine this morning it immediately tripped the breaker. Reset it tried again it started heating up then started smoking:piss:

Switched it off pulled all the side panels off and got to looking.

One of the ground wires looked like it smoked its insulation. Traced it to the pressurestat. One set of contacts looked like it had welded itself shut.
Switched the wires to an unused set and fit a replacement ground wire.

Fired it back up and it works fine again ☕

Probably gonna get a replacement pressurestat just because. I've seen things about wiring in a ssr relay so the p-stat itself isn't having to handle so much load I'll have to look into it more.

Anyways how was your morning?

I just made pourover in a chemex. It was pretty drat good. Flag and Wire out of McMinnville, Oregon was the roaster.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

so does the new kuerig still have coffee pod DRM? :laffo:

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

so does the new kuerig still have coffee pod DRM? :laffo:

I've never actually owned one before this because I hated them so I'm not entirely sure on how to answer that. If you're talking about being able to use your own grind in the reusable pods then yes you can do that in this one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For a while they were making machines that had a scanner to verify that pods were 1st-party/licensed. I looked it up and it appears that they gave up like half a decade ago - shortly after launch - because it tanked sales

Jay Derkin
Aug 18, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

For a while they were making machines that had a scanner to verify that pods were 1st-party/licensed. I looked it up and it appears that they gave up like half a decade ago - shortly after launch - because it tanked sales

Yeah that's ridiculous. If that poo poo was still around I'd have not even tried this machine just out of spite.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nespresso still does this with their Vertuo line.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JUICERO COFFERO

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

obi_ant posted:

Nespresso still does this with their Vertuo line.

Which is really disorienting when I throw one of these in there

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084QB9W2R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_PHSCTKXZWR5YMDY1E7DT?psc=1

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does that thing work? I could've sworn in one of Hoffman's videos he says that they don't because of the barcode on the lip.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m the one that was asking about a non-pressurized basket for the EC155.

Got this

https://www.espressoparts.com/products/la-pavoni-europiccola-professional-millennium-model-double-shot-basket

And bent up the lip. Holds a much larger dose too.

Between that, getting a better grinder (thanks thread for the encore recommendation), and some knowledge from coffee daddy Hoffman, the difference in the shots out of this thing is loving unreal.

Moved from acceptable, but frequently quite bitter, to very good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

obi_ant posted:

Does that thing work? I could've sworn in one of Hoffman's videos he says that they don't because of the barcode on the lip.

I've been using it for months and the only problem I have is that it sometimes gets kinda suction-sealed into the little receptacle and needs a slightly uncomfortable amount of force (i.e. worried I'll break the plastic machine) to pull out, I assume the barcode is more about telling the machine how to properly extract the coffee inside the OEM pods

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If I like small lattes, what's the best way to foam a small amount? I have a French press and results are good but mine in particular requires at least a cup of milk to get it working.

Willing to spend $40 so above the whisk wand level. Doesn't need to heat on its own. Can't really justify a Bellman unless I can snag used for $40 or less, which is a long shot.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

If I like small lattes, what's the best way to foam a small amount? I have a French press and results are good but mine in particular requires at least a cup of milk to get it working.

Willing to spend $40 so above the whisk wand level. Doesn't need to heat on its own. Can't really justify a Bellman unless I can snag used for $40 or less, which is a long shot.

https://amazon.com/dp/B08VJP18XN/ ?

no personal experience with this model but the breville version gets good reviews (i didn’t link that version since it’s out of your budget)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My mum uses the Nespresso milk foamer, which seems to do a decent job.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I use this thing to make a single drinks worth of foam at a time and it works pretty well. That Instant branded one was just recently released but looks solid for the price.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

https://amazon.com/dp/B08VJP18XN/ ?

no personal experience with this model but the breville version gets good reviews (i didn’t link that version since it’s out of your budget)

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you very much! My MIL + FIL both have a fancy version of this but theirs leaves some milk unfrothed that they pour down the sink (or I take for my mug if I'm visiting), but the one you linked has some good images of the whole thing foamifying. The bonus settings are nice too.

Onea these days they'll make one where the entire container is dishwasher safe, but for now this is exactly what I want. I found a smaller French press style one that is fully dishwasher safe but not needing to baby the microwave is worth the extra $23 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Is the Bialetti tuttocrema good for milk frothing?

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-00AGR394-Tutto-Crema-Frother/dp/B06XKPK294

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 25, 2021