Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

The first game in my franchise I played and then when I got back to the franchise screen from exiting the game, it decided I didn't actually play the game and it just simmed it real quick giving me a 45-0 loss lol.

I remember back in the day you could do all kinds of things with contracts, like front load or backload, determine pay per year, etc. Now it's just # years, salary, sign bonus. Is that just how it is now in real life? I've never cared about player contract stuff but that's always stuck out to me as just another example of simplifying the game because dev time is better spent on microtransaction card game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbbmIOmtoyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I feel like someone could make a very successful east side hockey manager/champ manager nfl game without eating into the madden market share if the nfl would let them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Asproigerosis posted:

I remember back in the day you could do all kinds of things with contracts, like front load or backload, determine pay per year, etc. Now it's just # years, salary, sign bonus. Is that just how it is now in real life? I've never cared about player contract stuff but that's always stuck out to me as just another example of simplifying the game because dev time is better spent on microtransaction card game.

No, it’s not like that in real life. That’s one of the many features Madden has hosed with over the years. The ability to front or back load contracts has been added, removed, added again and removed again a few times over the last 15~ years.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just got a PLATINUM JAY CUTLER CARD HELL YEAH BOYSSSSS

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I wonder if there are people in the NFL that dislike the idea of Madden players having deep understandings of NFL contracts, managing the cap, etc

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Raku posted:

I wonder if there are people in the NFL that dislike the idea of Madden players having deep understandings of NFL contracts, managing the cap, etc
... huh.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Why does this look worse than a mid cycle ps4 game?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Madden hasn’t made any meaningful graphics changes or upgrades since like 2015.

They reused 2018 assets in 2020. I poo poo you not, in madden 2020 you’d look in the stands and see “MADDEN 18” plastered everywhere.*

*I may be off on the exact years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Raku posted:

No, it’s EA constantly waffling over how in depth they want the games to be. I pointed out a few other examples in the TFF Video James Thread, but basically every few years they go all in on adding features to make the game more in depth, and then remove them a few years later to make it more streamlined and easier to play. An obvious one is stuff like stadium management, where games in 2004~ let you adjust all the concession prices almost dollar by dollar, pick specific stadium upgrades and whatnot, and all sorts of other things that you may or may not actually see while playing on the field. Those steadily got removed over the next few years, to the point that Madden NFL 11 with Brees on the cover was heavily promoted as being simpler and quicker to play, and you just had generic “Improve seating to level 4” or whatever. A few years later they started adding detailed stuff like concessions and the pro shop management back, as well as stuff like the practice squad which was something hardcore fans had been asking be included for years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why does this look worse than a mid cycle ps4 game?

Short dev cycles plus basically all emphasis being placed on Ultimate Team.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fartknocker posted:

No, it’s EA constantly waffling over how in depth they want the games to be. I pointed out a few other examples in the TFF Video James Thread, but basically every few years they go all in on adding features to make the game more in depth, and then remove them a few years later to make it more streamlined and easier to play. An obvious one is stuff like stadium management, where games in 2004~ let you adjust all the concession prices almost dollar by dollar, pick specific stadium upgrades and whatnot, and all sorts of other things that you may or may not actually see while playing on the field. Those steadily got removed over the next few years, to the point that Madden NFL 11 with Brees on the cover was heavily promoted as being simpler and quicker to play, and you just had generic “Improve seating to level 4” or whatever. A few years later they started adding detailed stuff like concessions and the pro shop management back, as well as stuff like the practice squad which was something hardcore fans had been asking be included for years.

While I'm sure a lot of it has to do with indecision, development time, budget, etc, I also wonder if it's a marketing thing. I imagine that while a good chunk of sales come from people buying Madden every year, there's also a chunk of people who buy one every few years or so, and they can market to those people by going "hey, we streamlined the game!" or "look at all the features we added!" If you're not seriously invested in the Madden franchise, you wouldn't ever notice if they went through a cycle of that every few years or so

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t play fantasy football and the amount of coverage fantasy football gets directly led to me watching less nfl coverage and caring less about the sport.

Madden Ultimate Team is, to me, pretty much the exact same thing. I’d care more about the NFL if I had a cool NFL game to play.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

tarbrush posted:

I feel like someone could make a very successful east side hockey manager/champ manager nfl game without eating into the madden market share if the nfl would let them.

I'd buy it if it was ultra in-depth: full playbook design, college scouting, player contracts, front office hiring and firing, stadium pricing, the whole works. Let me micro manage an NFL team to the tiniest detail!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Here's a tipperino to help your madden experience: play with friends

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I got Madden 20 as my first one since the time of EJ Manuel and the franchise mode sure is clunky and the drafts are laughable. You can usually count on one hand the number of linebackers that wouldn’t wash out of the XFL. You can’t even edit dev traits in the roster editor! X-Factors Le’Veon Bell and JuJu Smith-Schuster might be my faves.
And since modding is deliberately made as clunky as possible, the only way to “fix” progression in franchise mode is to quit out of the game every few weeks and feed your save data into an Excel program. lolno

Just…gently caress EA. And gently caress the NFL for giving those lazy grifters an exclusive license.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1428392833652826118?s=19

Repeatedly is guy kept screaming PRINT THE SHIRTS

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Metapod posted:

they just complain that I run the ball 75% of the time

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

they just complain that I run the ball 75% of the time

They're right

Run more

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Metapod posted:

No.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fartknocker posted:

No, it’s EA constantly waffling over how in depth they want the games to be.

Good explainer and makes alot of sense for why the features are in one year and out the next.

The impression I've always got from Madden is that it is workshopped into [NFL GENERIC SIMULATION] just this artificial froth that is spewed out every year.

The only thing I'll say to play Devil's Advocate for EA is I bet the NFL themselves does the most it can to make the games as little fun as possible.

EA made a really fun game called NFL Street which was even more of a fun arcade game than Blitz IMO but the players had jerseys that were not to NFL specifications and the players were wearing backwards caps and shades and were too cool so the NFL had to rush in and cut that poo poo out.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

Turns out being part of a family that lives, breathes, and has actual professional experience in football makes good players.

Too bad about the coaches tho.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1428678481404170241

bummer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kyle did alright, not many coaches get the opportunity to choke away a lead in two Super Bowls!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who was more to blame in 28-3, offense or defense?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Offense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Offense. Defense had the excuse of at least being gassed. They also got a pick 6 so that’s part of that 28.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

and Delpit hosed up his hammy after losing a year to an achilles tear and Greedy Williams slew of injuries. The LSU defenders we've picked up have had the injury bug in a huge way.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Offense. Defense had the excuse of at least being gassed. They also got a pick 6 so that’s part of that 28.

Nah, it’s the defense.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Every single person in the Atlanta falcons franchise, including the beer peddlers, deserves the blame for 28-3

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

really queer Christmas posted:

Every single person in the Atlanta falcons franchise, including the beer peddlers, deserves the blame for 28-3

Personally I think it's because the city was weak willed and Just Didn't Want It Enough, unlike the City of Champions Boston Massachusetts. MY COLUMN:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This is actually the correct answer

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Every single person in Atlanta, including the beer peddlers, deserves the blame for 28-3

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
sorry you don't have any friends

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Personally I think Tom Brady shares a bit of the blame too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's 28-12 with 9 minutes left after the Falcons sack Brady twice to force a FG. That's when the Falcons had a 99.6% victory chance.

3rd and 1, Matt Ryan gets strip sacked. If DeVonta Freeman slows Hightower down, Matt Ryan sees it and eats the sack or throws the ball away, or they just called a loving QB sneak, the Patriots almost certainly run out of time and lose that game.

Two point conversion, if the Falcons D can stop a tricky little direct snap to James White, they win.

Next drive, the Falcons hit two huge plays including one of the great SB catches to put them on the 22 with 4:40 left. 3 runs up the gut and a ~40 yard FG attempt and they're up 2 scores under 3 minutes left, they win.

Instead -1 run, 12 yard sack, holding, 3rd and 33 from the New England 45 with 3:45 left. Incomplete pass, could've just eaten a sack to get a little more punting room and taken it down under 3 minutes at least, but instead tried a low percentage sideline pass that would've made it a ~50 yard FG attempt.

At least they trap the Patriots on their own 9, and Brady misses 2 passes to start so it's 3rd and 10... and he hits Chris Hogan for a 16 yard pass between 2 defenders. If Keanu Neal isn't a step slow, he can break it up, and pretty much game over.

Two plays later is that ridiculous Robert Alford tip that Edelman somehow catches inbetween 3 DB's. Like how the gently caress did that end up complete? After which Brady just clowns on them for 3 passes to the 1 then an easy run in TD, then an easy 2 point conversion pass.

Falcons had 52s left, return the kickoff??? to the 11 and throw 2 short passes. C'mon guys you could've at least tried here. Great offenses have done minute drives for a FG tons of times.

Then OT was perfunctory, the Falcons D was done.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
With a substantial lead its as much up to the offense as it is the defense. You have to keep moving the ball and working the clock. And even just getting field goals is huge. One field goal and that game was over.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Somewhat ironic that Kyle Shanahan was essentially promoted to head coach after 28-3

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
actually theres nothing the falcons could have done, tom brady was always destined to win the super bowl

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Tom Brady is a cheater, people forget this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I love the salt every time 28-3 comes up. That alone made the whole thing worth it.