Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

c dating s: got stood up last night. this poo poo sucks. i need to accept that this isn’t for me

that's the worst. extremely childish.

dodged a bullet, as they say, but still blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

c dating s: got stood up last night. this poo poo sucks. i need to accept that this isn’t for me

Sagebrush posted:

dodged a bullet, as they say,

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

that blows but yeah you didn't miss out on anything but your time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ya i mean it basically looks like bigquery (which also lets me share datasets without copying them...) but along with bigquery i have google's whole ecosystem of a hundred other tools, while the snowflake ecosystem consists of ____________?

lol the documentation answered my question. so like, in bigquery, i load some data, it goes to google's servers. then i run a query, and it spins up a bunch of compute nodes on google's servers to handle my query. so i wondered, is snowflake hosting my data and running my queries? no!!! it runs on an existing cloud platform: gcp, aws, or azure. they provide the storage and compute, snowflake just passes it thru. lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd probably check on the person, maybe pop by their workplace or send them a thoughtful gift. you can salvage this one

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the SDF metaarray's down for maintenance which sucks because thats what i was running thelounge on

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

back in the days of PoF dating I had a dinner date set up and the lady came in, looked at me, said "you're short" and left without another word.

You win some you lose some, I guess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ya i mean it basically looks like bigquery (which also lets me share datasets without copying them...) but along with bigquery i have google's whole ecosystem of a hundred other tools, while the snowflake ecosystem consists of ____________?

the snowflake ecosystem consists of not having to use tech major poo poo for the data warehouse

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought I was getting stood up on a first date once and texted, "Hey, are you still coming?" and it turned out she'd accidentally let her roommate's cat out and was running around the neighborhood trying to find it. She eventually did show up like an hour late.

Then she spent the night the next night and peed my whole entire bed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

off to camp and it might be pissing rain lol

we've had a drought for a month so the rain is welcome but what timing! lol

looks like it'll be chilling and reading, not much beach

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like rainy camps to a certain extent. blessings and good fortune to you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my wife calls this good camping weather

so she'll be out on the back deck, in the tent, with a book and i'll be inside funneling ice down my neck

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

flakeloaf posted:

my wife calls this good camping weather

so she'll be out on the back deck, in the tent, with a book and i'll be inside funneling ice down my neck

that does seem like good weather all week round though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
once the humidex pushes the "feels like" to >40C i tap out too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

smokey here today.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its 79f and only 66 aqi in denver today. high of 82. we are blessed this weekend

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cjs: they cancelled the Air & Water Show but still flew the Blue Angels around the city today and now a C-130 is buzzing overhead. It has been difficult to take calls but I'm okay with that. :shobon:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Video Nasty posted:

cjs: they cancelled the Air & Water Show but still flew the Blue Angels around the city today and now a C-130 is buzzing overhead. It has been difficult to take calls but I'm okay with that. :shobon:

i know it's milwank and love for weapons of war, but ngl it is kind of cool when the AF academy kids get to go out and they come up to denver and zoom around

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
id much rather hear f15's or whatever theyre flying than see the cop choppers just flying loops for hours because five people dared to post up downtown with BLM signs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah like on one hand the miltary industrial complex is awful

but on the other hand PLANES GO NNNNEEEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWWWoooosh

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i know it's milwank and love for weapons of war, but ngl it is kind of cool when the AF academy kids get to go out and they come up to denver and zoom around

Jets are unarguably cool and marvels of human engineering. My uncle spent his entire tour of Vietnam loading bombs onto them while stationed on an aircraft carrier.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no, thats not what the cloning is for. the point of zero copy cloning is that you can e.g. have dev, test, and prod environments with your full data, served by a single copy of it worth of physical storage. if you’re a decently large shop with a good amount of analysts (say something like goldman sachs), this kind of poo poo is going to at least halve your data warehousing hardware budget. snowflake also has some fairly nifty permissions and data masking features that are not coherently represented elsewhere.

neither of that validates its current valuation, but there are things it does that no one else can, at the moment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lol the documentation answered my question. so like, in bigquery, i load some data, it goes to google's servers. then i run a query, and it spins up a bunch of compute nodes on google's servers to handle my query. so i wondered, is snowflake hosting my data and running my queries? no!!! it runs on an existing cloud platform: gcp, aws, or azure. they provide the storage and compute, snowflake just passes it thru. lmao

it’s a bit more elaborate than that - basically there’s one global snowflake instance that is shared by all tenants. either way, what’s your point here? were you expecting snowflake to be on-prem shop?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

anyone itt have experience with snowflake? i just got a login and took a look, my immediate reaction was, "lol is this the entire product? $77 billion market cap for THIS?"

I evaluated it against some other optionz, and yeah, basically that was my impression. We ended up just doing Trino instead.

There's a bunch of other stuff doing the same thing probably better but without the VC hype.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uh when was this 'snowflake' product created. specifically when it was named. spidey senses

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
2012. reason given was founders liked winter sports and snowflakes are "born in a cloud"

also allusion to snowflake architecture. ed codd was talkin about that poo poo when carter was president, so i dont think its the Highly Online Nazi snowflake usage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

uh when was this 'snowflake' product created. specifically when it was named. spidey senses

2012 apparently, as per wiki

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

shoeberto posted:

I evaluated it against some other optionz, and yeah, basically that was my impression. We ended up just doing Trino instead.

There's a bunch of other stuff doing the same thing probably better but without the VC hype.

same, i did evaluate as one of the options for our data lake, but ended up ditching it since we have unpredictable burst workloads, for which it’s not the best choice - and everything being ansi sql these days means the core functionality is identical across the board

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fair enough. unfortunate but nbd

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the snowflake ecosystem consists of not having to use tech major poo poo for the data warehouse

what's wrong with the tech major poo poo? bigquery has worked fine for me so far

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, thats not what the cloning is for. the point of zero copy cloning is that you can e.g. have dev, test, and prod environments with your full data, served by a single copy of it worth of physical storage. if you’re a decently large shop with a good amount of analysts (say something like goldman sachs), this kind of poo poo is going to at least halve your data warehousing hardware budget. snowflake also has some fairly nifty permissions and data masking features that are not coherently represented elsewhere.

neither of that validates its current valuation, but there are things it does that no one else can, at the moment

ok this is a legitimately interesting feature that i will have to read about

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s a bit more elaborate than that - basically there’s one global snowflake instance that is shared by all tenants. either way, what’s your point here? were you expecting snowflake to be on-prem shop?

not on-prem, i know it's cloud stuff, i just figured they had their own cloud infrastructure that gave them a competitive advantage. from what i've read so far, it sounds like the main advantage is the network effect. i can share datasets on bigquery too, but if my customers don't use gcp then that's no good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i was also so sure that the snowflake name came from the snowflake schema design often used in data warehousing that i didn't even bother to look it up. NOPE

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same, i did evaluate as one of the options for our data lake, but ended up ditching it since we have unpredictable burst workloads, for which it’s not the best choice - and everything being ansi sql these days means the core functionality is identical across the board

Yeah, there was also no way to make it financially make sense for us for that same reason. You pay a high premium for all that sleekness.

It felt like it's something that's aimed at big enterprise customers where they wanted to spend zero hours of engineering time on setup or maintenance and are cool with paying through the nose for it. But yeah, I don't know why to go with it over BigQuery for that specifically.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

jet fighter airplanes are an enormous waste of money and also one of the coolest wastes of money on the planet.

.| .| revvin' up your engine, listen to her howlin' roar .| .|

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i was also so sure that the snowflake name came from the snowflake schema design often used in data warehousing that i didn't even bother to look it up. NOPE

its also from that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the osprey is the coolest plane imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the osprey is the coolest plane imo

nah.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:rolleyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a-10 is fuckin rad. Oops! All Gun!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

jet fighter airplanes are an enormous waste of money and also one of the coolest wastes of money on the planet.

.| .| revvin' up your engine, listen to her howlin' roar .| .|

similarly the world seemed a bit cooler while the concorde was in service, obviously better that it is gone for numerous reasons, but having billionaires going to space on custom craft while it is not even in principle possible to cross the atlantic supersonically is kind of sad.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

thelounge needs me to tell it exactly where the SSL certificate is but of course i have no idea where the SSL certs are on the SDF metaarray (or at least which one i should be using since theres a fuckload in the ssl directory)
and when i asked on their bboard i got told "we have had ssl for years"