Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Who is the next middle aged white man to step up???

edit; gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If anyone is on the fence about Brand New Cherry Flavor, I'm a 20 veteran of the film industry and it's as close to a documentary about how the Hollywood sausage gets made I've ever seen.

I mean, obviously they can't show the really dark parts but still it's pretty close A++ would recommend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5g9__S0OE

a legit great idea, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.

e: Now give me a Pac Man gameshow with people running around in mazes, give me a Donkey Kong gameshow where people have to climb ladders and dodge barrels, give me a Donkey Kong Junior gameshow where people have to climb ropes, give me a Tapper gameshow where bartenders have to serve customers quickly, give me a Joust gameshow where people joust from ostriches hung from the ceiling...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 20, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If anyone is on the fence about Brand New Cherry Flavor, I'm a 20 veteran of the film industry and it's as close to a documentary about how the Hollywood sausage gets made I've ever seen.

I mean, obviously they can't show the really dark parts but still it's pretty close A++ would recommend.

I remember watching that doc about kids in those apartments they stay in during pilot season. That seemed pretty dark to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Lower Decks version of Will Riker is the best Star Trek character in the history of the franchise.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Rhyno posted:

So the Lower Decks version of Will Riker is the best Star Trek character in the history of the franchise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I KNOW WHAT I SAID

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are they still doing that Miyam Bialek Jeopardy spinoff?

Seemed like two terrible choices. Obviously that Richards choice has blown up in their face, but now is a particularly bad time to be giving an anti-vaxxer more prominence.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't heard otherwise, but it wasn't a spinoff she was just going to be the host for specials, which I assumed to mean she's hosting things like the tournaments or college stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

Are they still doing that Miyam Bialek Jeopardy spinoff?

Seemed like two terrible choices. Obviously that Richards choice has blown up in their face, but now is a particularly bad time to be giving an anti-vaxxer more prominence.

The regular host would have to quit any other jobs, she's currently anchored to her horrid sitcom Call Me Kat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1428797151983804423

Same dude who created Black Monday, Marvel suits were apparently really excited by his pitch

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1428797151983804423

Same dude who created Black Monday, Marvel suits were apparently really excited by his pitch

Paul Scheer in the MCU when?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Disney just needs to buy Hasbro and get us a Rom series

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Nicole Kidmans Russian accent in Nine Perfect Strangers truly is awful. thats what all the critics said and you think how bad could it be, but it really is that bad

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mistermojo posted:

Nicole Kidmans Russian accent in Nine Perfect Strangers truly is awful. thats what all the critics said and you think how bad could it be, but it really is that bad

I'm a fan of the 'Death of Stalin' style. Unless it really breaks the story, let actors speak in their own accent. I've never been amazed at an actor nailing an accent but I have been annoyed many times by poor accents.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a fan of the 'Death of Stalin' style. Unless it really breaks the story, let actors speak in their own accent. I've never been amazed at an actor nailing an accent but I have been annoyed many times by poor accents.

Agreed although English-to-English accent work should still be the norm if that makes sense (like Dominic West & Idris Elba in The Wire). Using accented English to stand in for native foreign tongues is trashy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hughmoris posted:

Harrison Ford's attempt at a Russian accent in K19: The Widowmaker is hilariously bad.

There are some real bad accents in Donnie Brasco, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The BBC Wallander show does language in an interesting way because they are all British actors using their own accent. But whenever you see newspapers or a news program all the text is still Swedish so it means they are actually speaking Swedish. Good idea because nothing sounds stupider than people doing a fake scandinavian accent while solving crimes. Like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 20, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

The BBC Wallander show does language in an interesting way because they are all British actors using their own accent. But whenever you see newspapers or a news program all the text is still Swedish so it means they are actually speaking Swedish. Good idea because nothing sounds stupider than people doing a fake scandinavian accent while solving crimes. Like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo.

In fairness, the Beeb had years of practice at this with Allo Allo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Timby posted:

Harrison Ford's attempt at a Russian accent in K19: The Widowmaker is hilariously bad.

There are some real bad accents in Donnie Brasco, too.

Perhaps he should have thought like a Russian

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6998139152562769157

New It's Always Sunny season is going to be great

for those without tiktok or dont want to venture into those waters:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I can’t believe the show about the guy who raps about his dick made me cry.

2021: the year of Biff Wiff

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

It’s not a very good show so far but that accent is another level bad. oooooofff

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Sean Connery just mangling Russian with a Scottish accent in Hunt for Red October...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ramius was Lithuanian, but yeah, the Scottish accent was goofy.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I can’t believe the show about the guy who raps about his dick made me cry.

2021: the year of Biff Wiff

Same. More than once even. Goddamn. I binged the entire run for the first time today and holy poo poo what a loving great show. GaTa can act his rear end off man. Honestly, everyone surprised me. I like Santino's podcasts quite a bit but I didn't realize he had those kind of acting chops. Dicky is fantastic too. FX is absolutely slaying right now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its the weirdest thing because Dave only hit for me from watching 2 seasons. How do I recommend a show that requires that many eps to be satisfying.

Its the only show on TV, created specifically for the medium, because you have to watch 20 30 min episodes to get the full arc. And it works!!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sean Connery just mangling Russian with a Scottish accent in Hunt for Red October...

It's been forever, but I remember being really entertained by Alec Baldwin doing a Sean Connery impression on that one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nine Perfect Strangers is pretty meandering and I'm not really sure what the plot actually is yet but I think it's the first time I've really enjoyed Melissa McCarthy in something. All the actors are pretty good even if their characters don't really make any sense.

Also kind of funny that I started Nine Perfect Strangers right after finishing Brand New Cherry Flavor, and there's Manny Jacinto again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo.

The only one with a weird accent in that movie was Mara though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Its the weirdest thing because Dave only hit for me from watching 2 seasons. How do I recommend a show that requires that many eps to be satisfying.

Its the only show on TV, created specifically for the medium, because you have to watch 20 30 min episodes to get the full arc. And it works!!!

It's also weird because as the show gets better, you hate Dave more and more. Unusually when a show makes you hate it's protagonists, it becomes harder to watch.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/brookeobie/status/1428781863208849413?s=21

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am rewatching Umbrella Academy season 2 with my mom (she loved the first season but never saw the 2nd) and just noticed they changed the credits to Elliot Page. A small, but I imagine meaningful gesture. Good on them.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i guess i don't get what real impact a tv show can have or what actual change it can bring in the world if it has the perfect critique or whatever........ the same as if it has an inferior critique — nothing

the first quote below from the article made me think of a quote from an interview mike white gave re: his time on survivor (second quote)

quote:

The White Lotus is far from alone in its shallow, self-congratulatory attempts at white introspection. Most of the so-called prestige dramas center on horrible, rich white people, with their racist, classist obliviousness as part of the appeal: Big Little Lies, Billions, Arrested Development, Succession, The Crown, The Undoing, and on and on.

Each show parades these horrible rich white characters across the screen and we’re supposed to laugh or shudder at or empathize with their messy ridiculousness, as each series flirts with the idea of disrupting the status quo. We cheer when that one outsider character calls bullshit, and — like The White Lotus’ Belinda, who believes her rich white client is really going to invest in her and make her dreams come true — we think maybe this time, maybe on this show, things will be different.

But it’s Lucy with the football. Before the nails even come out, the white savior jumps down from the cross, unscathed. The rich and powerful are only more humanized, more excusable. Even if individuals change, the system of the powerful remains powerful; the system of the rich remains rich; the status quo remains intact.

quote:

Although, everyone knows in real life, the Goliath always wins — and by letting a David win, we're just perpetuating the hollow American myth that the "little guy", through wile and determination, can overcome all the obstacles of a rigged system. Look around, people - the rich get richer! So let's not peddle fantasies that keep us from dismantling structures of economic oppression. I should have said that at [the Final Tribal Council]!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The performative wokeness of critiques like that are just as hollow as they claim the TV shows are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just watched the first episode of Columbo. Was pretty satisfying watching the Dr.'s best laid plans just fall apart over the course of an hour and a half. Not sure how well the show will hold up over 10 seasons though if this is the format.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just watched the first episode of Columbo. Was pretty satisfying watching the Dr.'s best laid plans just fall apart over the course of an hour and a half. Not sure how well the show will hold up over 10 seasons though if this is the format.

I’m on season 6 now and the formula has started to become a bit stale, but Falk as Columbo is still consistently excellent and makes the show worth watching.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Senor Tron posted:

Noooooooo.

Whyyyyyy?

Noooooooo.

Argh. :(

you can't write tears, jimmy

(hope i landed the punchline. i love that bit but haven't seen it since he passed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m on season 6 now and the formula has started to become a bit stale, but Falk as Columbo is still consistently excellent and makes the show worth watching.

The quality of any given Columbo episode is entirely dependent on the abilities of its villain-of-the-week guest star and how much chemistry they have with Peter Falk.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 22, 2021