Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

jjack229 posted:

Still playing through Hellpoint (lower budget soulslike in space) and enjoying it.

Some minor gripes about unclear stats, no ability to respec, and instead of having fast-travel between all bonfires, it is a consumable item (which is better than nothing, but since I have no idea what the ratio of consumables:bonfires is, I don't know how sparingly I need to be using them).

My bigger grip is that the inventory management works fine. The items are separated into different categories (melee, ranged, head, chest, legs. etc). It is a graphical layout and the items are grouped, with duplicates of the same items next to each other. This is all good. However, when accessing the weapon upgrade feature or dismantle feature (basically selling un-needed items), instead of using this same interface, it is just a long list of every single item. It is not separated or even sorted by categories. It also appears to be sorting them by oldest to most recent acquired, which means that duplicate items are no longer next to each other. And even worse, after selecting something in the menu, it immediately exits out of the list. So, if I scroll down, realize that I have two of the same items to dismantle, I select one, then it kicks me out, I have to open the list again, try to scroll down to the same spot, and dismantle the other one.

The inventory interface works just fine, I don't know why they used the terrible list instead for these features.

On a separate note, about the only achievements that I like in games are the ones tied directly to the main story, because it is interesting to see where people stop playing the game. Hellpoint on GOG has 25% beat the first boss and 16% beat the second, so not looking too good for the developers.

I dunno why, but I ended up absolutely loving Hellpoint, to the point where I'm on my second playthrough, which I started immediately after the first. The atmosphere in this game is just excellent, and the game is not balls hard either, which I like.

That's not to say that the game is without issues, you could fill a page of this thread with all the little annoying stuff, like the bonfire warp bullshit you mentioned. The ratio of warp-enabling consumables to rifts is loving dire, btw.

Probably the worst problem I have is that often, some of the audio ends up just not playing. The music sometimes cuts off, or sometimes all you hear in a fight is only one or two of the sounds a monster makes; no sword swooshes, footsteps, armor clinks or anything other than a choppy monster growl. It's a drat shame really, the sound design, ambient noise and music in Hellpoint is spectacular, and then they have these kinds of audio issues which just ruins the immersion completely. And the audio issues aren't rare, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sally posted:

thing dragging down Killzone Mercenary: it's the best Killzone game in the series and it's exclusive to Vita so only eight people have played it.

At least your excellent LP means that lots of people have seen the cool stuff.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Story missions in Watch Dogs 2 have too many enemies in them, sneaking in with your RC gear to grab collectibles with a few enemies nearby can be really fun and satisfying but it feels like in the main story, they wanted it to be harder and just crammed a bunch of enemies into a small space so it's nigh-impossible to stop them aggroing, and when they aggro they're really dumb.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Aug 20, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Walton Simons posted:

Story missions in Watch Dogs 2 have too many enemies in them, sneaking in with your RC gear to grab collectibles with a few enemies nearby can be really fun and satisfying but it feels like in the main story, they wanted it to be harder and just crammed a bunch of enemies into a small space so it's nigh-impossible to stop them aggroing, and when they aggro they're really dumb.

I just started getting annoyed at the amount of work it was to sneak around all the enemies, using RC things to find vents and poo poo, and at some point in the game I would run into a place guns blazing, take out all the enemies and leave in less than half the time it would take to be sneaky and with absolutely no downside to boot.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am having a disproportionately huge amount of fun burning every single thing to death with a Heavy Flamer in Inquisitor: Martyr (only 3 years behind the times!).

However, I can’t stand the vagueness of some of the enchant terms (what exactly is a vulnerability? Does it bypass armor or just do extra damage?) and some of the scales (how good are +14 Item Quantity Found or +12 Item Quality Found, and what items do they apply to — drops, chests, or both?)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Most people don't seem to make it through the first playthrough either.

I have a disproportionate number of games on various platforms where the "beat the story on any difficulty" achievement has less than 40% worldwide. A concerning number of them (only counting games that aren't usually bought for multiplayer like cod) have something like 70% "complete the first level".

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

FF VIII Remake gives you a trophy for beating the first fight. Literally the first thing you do in the game. IIRC something like 4% of people didn't even get that far.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

grittyreboot posted:

FF VIII Remake gives you a trophy for beating the first fight. Literally the first thing you do in the game. IIRC something like 4% of people didn't even get that far.

We're scared they'll kill aerith

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As they should

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

JackSplater posted:

I have a disproportionate number of games on various platforms where the "beat the story on any difficulty" achievement has less than 40% worldwide. A concerning number of them (only counting games that aren't usually bought for multiplayer like cod) have something like 70% "complete the first level".

I feel attacked. I will get around to those games eventually. Probably. Maybe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

With gamepass I'll drop your game the second I'm not feeling it, I no longer feel like I need to finish them.

For Half-Life 2 and other games its totally 100% fine to have the dialog that would be a cutscene play out as like radio chatter as Im playing more of the game. Like Tales of Arise perplexingly has both skits and ambient dialog, just make it an option to have them all be ambient dialog.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

With gamepass I'll drop your game the second I'm not feeling it, I no longer feel like I need to finish them.

This is why I dropped gamepass, I didn’t like the way it made games feel completely disposable. There’s tons of stuff where I stuck it out through a rough patch and really liked it after that I would have just tossed aside.

Like Days Gone would have been the worst gamepass game, because it’s really fun but it takes a bit before you realize that for as much as the parts are super generic, the execution is just insanely good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is why I dropped gamepass, I didn’t like the way it made games feel completely disposable.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have given most of this garbage a chance otherwise, and some of it turned out to actually be pretty good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Stexils posted:

that happens all the time though. feature comes out, people praise it, once the shininess wears off people get sick of it and see it as a negative. like good/evil morality systems with cosmetic effects, or ubisoft-style open worlds

I remember when Resident Evil 4 came out that people thought the QTEs in cutscenes were really really cool and novel. Now its a marketing bullet point when games get remastered that qtes can be skipped.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

JackSplater posted:

I wonder what's going on with that pretty often. Obviously on Steam there's sometimes going to be a case of "oh this can't actually run on my computer," but having apparently tens of thousands of people load up, say, Death Stranding and then not deliver a single piece of cargo or Bloodstained and not get a single shard drop, for examples I've played recently, is bizarre.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sure some of it can be explained by one person in a family buying a game and the others trying it on their accounts, but over the soon 2 decades since achievement data have been available it's always been shown that people just don't finish games.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Red Minjo posted:

I wonder what's going on with that pretty often. Obviously on Steam there's sometimes going to be a case of "oh this can't actually run on my computer," but having apparently tens of thousands of people load up, say, Death Stranding and then not deliver a single piece of cargo or Bloodstained and not get a single shard drop, for examples I've played recently, is bizarre.

I've had a few games where I just viscerally hate how it controls or feels and don't have any desire to keep playing after 5 or 10 minutes.

Maybe also people getting a game from a bundle/subscription/hand-me-down and booting it up for a minute just to see what sort of game it is?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

It makes sense on Steam since it's kind of a running joke of people having ridiculous hundred game libraries of stuff they're never gonna touch but I don't get it on other consoles. Personally I just try to be sure I'm gonna finish at least the main story of anything I'm buying because that game's gonna be all I play for the next 3 weeks so if I spent 60$ for nothing I feel like such a dumbass for wasting that money.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

It makes sense on Steam since it's kind of a running joke of people having ridiculous hundred game libraries of stuff they're never gonna touch but I don't get it on other consoles. Personally I just try to be sure I'm gonna finish at least the main story of anything I'm buying because that game's gonna be all I play for the next 3 weeks so if I spent 60$ for nothing I feel like such a dumbass for wasting that money.

When I had a PS4 it had sales just like the Steam ones where I would buy a lot of dumb poo poo, I just didn’t have a decade+ of library growth on there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a reason its a huge deal when Sony first party games have 40%+ completion rates, because they are absolutely outliers in the industry. The opening of your game needs to be good because often if you're lucky thats quite literally all 70% of your audience will ever play.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, I have a bunch of heavily discounted Xbox games (and stuff like Games with Gold titles) that I'm not too worried about finishing.

But I don't think that explains the numbers.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Shiroc posted:

I remember when Resident Evil 4 came out that people thought the QTEs in cutscenes were really really cool and novel. Now its a marketing bullet point when games get remastered that qtes can be skipped.

The QTEs in RE4 were pretty hard so something like a knife fight with Krauser was an actual challenge.

That isn't an argument for QTEs but in time they got diluted to something that might as well not exist.

I will never stop loving Press X to do insanely gory finisher move on an enemy that's already dead, though. I love that unconditionally.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

WaltherFeng posted:

I will never stop loving Press X to do insanely gory finisher move on an enemy that's already dead, though. I love that unconditionally.

This is one of the things keeping me playing Horizon Zero Dawn right now. The endless running through wide-open spaces while trying to avoid giant metal dinosaur monster 1234 for the umpteenth time is getting super old but goddamn it’s entertaining to watch Aloy shank some dude through the skull mid-backflip. The animation in this game is pretty amazing.

I’d just fast travel all the time but money is too scarce and I have to be constantly farming resources for premium arrows, health etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are genuinely lots and lots of people who buy games and just don't get around to it.

I work in an industry where we sell a product that is useless without an attachment item. We see about 10-15% of people in our system never buy the attachment item. What is going on in their life? I'll never know.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

On the other hand, I wouldn't have given most of this garbage a chance otherwise, and some of it turned out to actually be pretty good

Gamepass is a way for me to try out Anthem, effectively for free!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Frank Frank posted:

This is one of the things keeping me playing Horizon Zero Dawn right now. The endless running through wide-open spaces while trying to avoid giant metal dinosaur monster 1234 for the umpteenth time is getting super old but goddamn it’s entertaining to watch Aloy shank some dude through the skull mid-backflip. The animation in this game is pretty amazing.

I’d just fast travel all the time but money is too scarce and I have to be constantly farming resources for premium arrows, health etc.

Aloy can craft her own fast travel packs and they are pretty cheap, costing something like 15 shards/wood and 1 meat on any difficulty below Ultra-Hard. You can also get a free materials pack from every vendor the first time you meet them that usually contains fast travel.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

exquisite tea posted:

Aloy can craft her own fast travel packs and they are pretty cheap, costing something like 15 shards/wood and 1 meat on any difficulty below Ultra-Hard. You can also get a free materials pack from every vendor the first time you meet them that usually contains fast travel.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - I’m aware that I can fast travel and have plenty of those fast travel kits but I can’t because I would run out of money and resources if I did that and the one free materials pack I get from vendors isn’t going to keep me in enough wire to keep making the arrows I need.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

There's an infinitely re-usable fast travel pack that you can buy from some traders. I think I got it from a trader near one of the hunting grounds outposts, though supposedly there's one near Meridian as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Barudak posted:

There are genuinely lots and lots of people who buy games and just don't get around to it.

I work in an industry where we sell a product that is useless without an attachment item. We see about 10-15% of people in our system never buy the attachment item. What is going on in their life? I'll never know.

I'm curious what this product is? Literally won't work without an attachment that isn't sold with the product? I mean maybe they already have the attachment from an earlier purchase, but I don't know.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WaltherFeng posted:

The QTEs in RE4 were pretty hard so something like a knife fight with Krauser was an actual challenge.

My favorite thing I learned about RE4 is that they don’t penalize you for hitting the wrong buttons during QTEs, and they only use four buttons during them. So if you smash all four of those buttons every time you get prompted for anything, Krauser turns into a complete chump. :haw:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I like reaction based things so I always liked quick time events. Except in games with rankings like Bayonetta, those cutscene QTEs were bullshit.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I played Mad Max (2015) enjoyed it thoroughly but it’s not perfect

Pros: The driving is brilliant,the cars feel heavy and upgrading them is very addictive,blowing up the enemy,harpooning them,even setting them on fire with flamethrowers set underneath your car,it’s very satisfying.

Max looks great,the upgrades to your sidekick (later on) look very cool,the fights can be great.

Cons : Too many instances where mission objectives failed to spawn,enemies got stuck in the ground or i got stuck in a position in a stronghold behind an NPC and because you can’t run or jump you just have to reload.

Before even the middle of the game i had practically all my skill upgrades which meant most of the mini missions and races became pointless cause they only offer upgrade points ( really they should change to scrap at that point because it’s far more useful).

The minefield side objectives are shite,you need to take the dog with you (but you can only take the really poo poo buggy that you can’t upgrade and you won’t have access to your harpoon or explosive shots) and then the dog barks at where the mines are so you drive around sloowly trying to not blow up,oh and the dog can glitch and just bark at thin air forever which is frustrating in about 15 different ways.

I still want a sequel please though.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Aug 21, 2021

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Catpain Slack posted:

I dunno why, but I ended up absolutely loving Hellpoint, to the point where I'm on my second playthrough, which I started immediately after the first. The atmosphere in this game is just excellent, and the game is not balls hard either, which I like.

That's not to say that the game is without issues, you could fill a page of this thread with all the little annoying stuff, like the bonfire warp bullshit you mentioned. The ratio of warp-enabling consumables to rifts is loving dire, btw.

Probably the worst problem I have is that often, some of the audio ends up just not playing. The music sometimes cuts off, or sometimes all you hear in a fight is only one or two of the sounds a monster makes; no sword swooshes, footsteps, armor clinks or anything other than a choppy monster growl. It's a drat shame really, the sound design, ambient noise and music in Hellpoint is spectacular, and then they have these kinds of audio issues which just ruins the immersion completely. And the audio issues aren't rare, either.

I've nearly beaten the game now, just the final boss to go, and I have really been enjoying it. I do like the combo of sci-fi plus occult in space.

I've notice the same audio issues as you. Character often gets stuck on or in things, but at least can normally jump out. The oddest has been when I was trying a boss fight over and over, two times my ghost went into full turtle mode. They had their shield up permanently and would keep walking into me. They would not attack and evidently had infinite stamina because I could not break their shield. The first time I had to chip away their health two HP at a time. The second time I realized I could just lead them to a bridge and have them walk off the edge.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The new Ghost of Tsushima DLC has an activity that makes use of controller gyro movement (playing your flute for animals :3:). That's great, but it suddenly makes it obvious that the game could let you use gyro assist for weapon aiming, but doesn't let you. I find that such a perfect control option that I don't understand how Nintendo has basically owned it for two console generations now without it being a default option across the board.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

We're scared they'll kill aerith

'They' don't kill Aerith. She's the main villain now. You have to kill her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crisis on Infinite Midgar: Hundreds of DLC expansions are released and you have to pick the right one that ends with Aerith and Tifa surviving the story.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Perestroika posted:

There's an infinitely re-usable fast travel pack that you can buy from some traders. I think I got it from a trader near one of the hunting grounds outposts, though supposedly there's one near Meridian as well.

There's definitely one near Meridian, that's where I picked mine up.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I picked up a whole slew of games I never got around to playing this recent steam sale and have been working my way through them, maybe it was because I came off the back of Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2 but Wolfenstien: The New Order felt...bad. the first half was okay, then it felt like it just dragged on and got worse and worse. The shooting arenas felt undercooked and the difficulty felt like it went from too easy to brutal randomly. the moon mission was such a disappointment, felt like they had a perfect playground for fun and it is just a 2 minute walk outside and cramped corridors

Then I played the Old Blood and I liked it way better, even after the weird twist 2/3rds of the way through when it suddenly becomes Doom . It just felt better laid out for shooting arenas

If I didn't like TNO but generally liked TOB, is New Collossus worth picking up?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Febreeze posted:

I picked up a whole slew of games I never got around to playing this recent steam sale and have been working my way through them, maybe it was because I came off the back of Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2 but Wolfenstien: The New Order felt...bad. the first half was okay, then it felt like it just dragged on and got worse and worse. The shooting arenas felt undercooked and the difficulty felt like it went from too easy to brutal randomly. the moon mission was such a disappointment, felt like they had a perfect playground for fun and it is just a 2 minute walk outside and cramped corridors

Then I played the Old Blood and I liked it way better, even after the weird twist 2/3rds of the way through when it suddenly becomes Doom . It just felt better laid out for shooting arenas

If I didn't like TNO but generally liked TOB, is New Collossus worth picking up?

I would say maybe? Honestly they're all on gamepass so like, for $1 you can see for yourself and if you like Young Blood

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm curious what this product is? Literally won't work without an attachment that isn't sold with the product? I mean maybe they already have the attachment from an earlier purchase, but I don't know.

They can't, when we release a new model the old attachments don't work since the whole system is redesigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wonky difficulty was the #1 complaint I remember hearing about TNC, and honestly that and every other complaint lined up with how I felt about TNO so definitely try before you buy or give it a pass.