Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I really enjoy about AEW is that it's really loving good. I think being that was a good business decision on their part, and they should stick with this innovative strategy going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lid posted:

stolen from reddit

Twitter trending

#2 Worldwide (#1 is Rampage)

#2 in United States (#1 is Rampage)

#2 in United Kingdom (#1 is Rampage)

#2 in Canada (#1 is Rampage)

#2 in New Zealand (#1 is Rampage)

#2 in Mexico (#3 is Rampage)

#3 in United Arab Emirates (#1 is Rampage)

#3 in Portugal (#2 is Rampage)

#4 in France (#2 is Rampage)

#5 in Germany (#1 is Rampage)

#5 in Australia (#3 is Rampage)

#6 in Chile (#4 is Rampage)

#6 in India (Rampage is not trending)

#8 in Belgium (#2 is Rampage)

#10 in Spain (#2 is Rampage)

#10 in Indonesia (Rampage is not trending)

#10 in Phillipines (Rampage is not trending)

Also Rampage is #2 in Italy, #2 in Austria, #6 in Netherlands, #9 in Brazil, and #10 in Israel.

unconvential numbers but good ones all the same

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

this is how I felt when Nick Gage came out

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Something I really enjoy about AEW is that it's really loving good. I think being that was a good business decision on their part, and they should stick with this innovative strategy going forward.

:hmmyes:

Also, I've rewatched CM Punk's entrance about 20 times by now. What a way to start a birthday weekend.

e: gently caress it, we're staying up for the West Coast feed to rewatch the whole drat thing

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I honestly feel like a kid again. The WWE really killed my love for wrestling but holy hell.

That had to have been one of the loudest pops ever, right?

That was a peak Stone Cold Attitude Era pop. Haven't heard one like that since, or maybe ever.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Petition to have a goons attending live AEW shows to bring "stabs boys" sign

I was gonna do this in Detroit, and dang it, I should've taken the day off and gone to Chicago tonight.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Lid posted:

the word is Becky Lynch is meant to be back but well its been drowned out by Pubnk and also they didnt do it Worst Kept Secret style to pop a buyrate

People have been saying that every PPV for like a year, it's kinda nuts

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

rantmo posted:

Not enough by a long shot, they sold out with multiple, massive lines waiting for them.

What they should've done is had a "secret" URL ready to go where you could order them online after they sold out. Of course they're going to leak out online and people will buy them who weren't there, but holy hell those shirts would sell like hotcakes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That was a peak Stone Cold Attitude Era pop. Haven't heard one like that since, or maybe ever.

I still believe the end of WM30 was the last big pop like tonight.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

When AEW started, I pretty much had to resolve myself to the fact that if AEW failed, like even if it stayed afloat but was stuck an Impact level of notoriety, it was time to give up on WWE ever having any significant competition in the United States in my lifetime.

Everything that came together all at once: a guy with a ton of money that was also a turbo wrestling nerd looking to get in, at the same time as a group of guys in the Elite who had some mainstream buzz in the US but were still looking like "rebels" breaking loose from NJPW, at the same time as some WWE legends that were disgruntled enough to jump ship and maybe bring over some fans (Jericho, JR on commentary, and later Mox), and being able to score a good time slot on a big network, at the same time as WWE was in a huge rut in terms of creativity and fan approval...like this was literally a once-in-a-lifetime sequence of events coming together. It has just kept building since then, and it makes me very happy, because I love wrestling and it made me feel bad that I just couldn't enjoy WWE anymore.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do wonder if danielson's pop is going to be bigger, and if they're going to keep it a surprise or tease it hard like punk

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

all these CM Punk shirts better not delay my Chaos Project shirt

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Silly Burrito posted:

What they should've done is had a "secret" URL ready to go where you could order them online after they sold out. Of course they're going to leak out online and people will buy them who weren't there, but holy hell those shirts would sell like hotcakes.

I would have loved that but at least my ice cream wrapper seems clean on the inside so I can keep that as my souvenir/proof.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
I still can't believe this is loving real

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

flatluigi posted:

i do wonder if danielson's pop is going to be bigger, and if they're going to keep it a surprise or tease it hard like punk

I’m not convinced a bigger pop is physically possible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Drakkel posted:

People have been saying that every PPV for like a year, it's kinda nuts

in their defence she couldnt be back while literally pregnant and God WWE's main event scene and womens scene is D I R E currently

also Sasha Banks may have been pulled so they don't have a main event so Becky coming in and squashing Bianca Belair seems likely

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Depending on time zone I've now been trying to buy CM Punk merch for 2 days.

It's an honor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AEW adjacent but Zack Ryder is good again

https://twitter.com/wokenremastered/status/1428921989209772033

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

njsykora posted:

I’m not convinced a bigger pop is physically possible.

otoh he's the source of like every big pop i can remember in the wwe between when i started watching and when i finally gave up

seven+ years of buildup to tonight's pop is certainly hard to compete with, though

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

When AEW started, I pretty much had to resolve myself to the fact that if AEW failed, like even if it stayed afloat but was stuck an Impact level of notoriety, it was time to give up on WWE ever having any significant competition in the United States in my lifetime.

Everything that came together all at once: a guy with a ton of money that was also a turbo wrestling nerd looking to get in, at the same time as a group of guys in the Elite who had some mainstream buzz in the US but were still looking like "rebels" breaking loose from NJPW, at the same time as some WWE legends that were disgruntled enough to jump ship and maybe bring over some fans (Jericho, JR on commentary, and later Mox), and being able to score a good time slot on a big network, at the same time as WWE was in a huge rut in terms of creativity and fan approval...like this was literally a once-in-a-lifetime sequence of events coming together. It has just kept building since then, and it makes me very happy, because I love wrestling and it made me feel bad that I just couldn't enjoy WWE anymore.

All this happened because Prince Devitt turned on Ryuske Taguchi

Also, that Punk gangtag rules, sign me up

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
How do I get a gangtag

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1428936800647720964

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

flatluigi posted:

otoh he's the source of like every big pop i can remember in the wwe between when i started watching and when i finally gave up

seven+ years of buildup to tonight's pop is certainly hard to compete with, though

the only big pops in WWE other than Punk have been Daniel Bryan, Becky Lynch and John Cena returns

OIne is coming to AEW, one is not currently wrestling, and one is retired.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

All this happened because Prince Devitt turned on Ryuske Taguchi

Also, that Punk gangtag rules, sign me up

Explain the sequence of events to someone not familiar with New Japan, please.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shard posted:

my wife isn't into wrestling and had laid down before the show but came out when the show started to watch with me. She watches Dynamite and Rampage with me because she said she likes seeing me so happy

My wife's the same. I took her to the show tonight and was kind of worried she wouldn't be into it because the one time I took her to a WWE PPV she was bored out of her mind. But tonight he was loving every moment and losing her god drat mind.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Lid posted:

the only big pops in WWE other than Punk have been Daniel Bryan, Becky Lynch and John Cena returns

OIne is coming to AEW, one is not currently wrestling, and one is retired.

John Cena's coming to AEW?!?!?!?!?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, and Zack Ryder have saved wrestling

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I feel like I've posted this a bunch of times, but hell - they teased the hell out of it to the point they were heavy-handed. No shock and awe on the debut. Rather 15k people chanting CM Punk before Cult of Personality hits.

And the roof still exploded in the biggest pop since the Attitude Era.

e:

:vince:

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
It's not that the pop was big and loud, it's how sustained it was, and how when he was leaving a big chunk of the crowd was singing "Cult of Personality"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Calling way back to this, but two things: 1. Shard, aren't you the other 35-year-old Sting mark ITT? If so :wcw::hf::wcw: and 2. After all these years, you've made me realize what made CM Punk in WWE click with me immediately. And that's as someone who had only heard and seen a few things about him in ROH..

gently caress yeah - I've been a little Stinger since day 1

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

JT Smiley posted:

My wife's the same. I took her to the show tonight and was kind of worried she wouldn't be into it because the one time I took her to a WWE PPV she was bored out of her mind. But tonight he was loving every moment and losing her god drat mind.

That's the truth. When wrestling is fun and the crowd is into it, even people who don't give a poo poo about wrestling have a hell of a time. I took my wife and kids to WM34 and they were bored off of their rear end for most of it. But I took my wife to a random RAW back in the 90s when everyone was having a grand time and she was cheering and screaming "rear end in a top hat" at the McMahons with the best of them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm so glad Tony doesn't read the bad fantasy booking on the internet and MJF didn't come out to Cult of Personality first.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shard posted:

gently caress yeah - I've been a little Stinger since day 1

:hellyeah:

OG Stingers represent

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
All I want for Punk vs Darby after the match is to get a beat down by 2.0 and Daniel Garcia. Then...

"BOOM BOOM!"

I just want to hear that pop and make up hug in Chicago. :smith:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I honestly feel like a kid again. The WWE really killed my love for wrestling but holy hell.

That had to have been one of the loudest pops ever, right?
triple h: pfft, i got a pop like that in new york once, a BIGGER city than chicago

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

That's the truth. When wrestling is fun and the crowd is into it, even people who don't give a poo poo about wrestling have a hell of a time. I took my wife and kids to WM34 and they were bored off of their rear end for most of it. But I took my wife to a random RAW back in the 90s when everyone was having a grand time and she was cheering and screaming "rear end in a top hat" at the McMahons with the best of them.

Braks knows what's up

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Explain the sequence of events to someone not familiar with New Japan, please.

Devitt turns on Taguchi to form the Bullet Club with the line up being him, Karl Anderson, Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tonga. When the Young Bucks and later AJ Styles join, the Bullet Club become a huge deal in America, even getting a deal with Hot Topic. By the time Kenny is the leader, the Bullet Club/Elite are a big enough deal to put on All In (which sold out really quick) which convinced Tony Khan that there’s a gap in the market for a new, big wrestling promotion

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

wrestling is the best thing there is

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Waffleopolis posted:

All I want for Punk vs Darby after the match is to get a beat down by 2.0 and Daniel Garcia. Then...

"BOOM BOOM!"

I just want to hear that pop and make up hug in Chicago. :smith:

gently caress that

i want a BLOOD FEUD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

punchdaily posted:

It's not that the pop was big and loud, it's how sustained it was, and how when he was leaving a big chunk of the crowd was singing "Cult of Personality"

I don't know how Maximum Pop for the music got somehow MORE when his name appeared on the TonyTron.