Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
unless your deck is just strikes, defends and four echo forms you should be able to clown that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sure, you probably should, but echo forms and time eater is an excellent source of "I'll just play these three cards and I'll survi... no oh poo poo! I forgot it would play twice!" moments.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I wonder if there’s a mod that only removes Runic Dome. After like 100+ hours I’ve never and will never take it, and it just wastes a choice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kiranamos posted:

I wonder if there’s a mod that only removes Runic Dome. After like 100+ hours I’ve never and will never take it, and it just wastes a choice.

It's not exactly common, but it is possible to make a deck that just doesn't give a gently caress what the enemy is doing. And in general once you've played enough, enemies are pretty predictable.

I think it's better as an Act 2 pick. I have a very difficult time imagining having a deck good enough to get through act 2 without caring about intents. I've done act 2 with Runic Dome before and Gremlin Leader is a loving nightmare.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
One of the biggest issues with Runic Dome is there are a fair few times when you care about what attack the heart is doing on turn 2/5 because you have tools like disarm/malaise/piercing wail/just intangible and want to know whether to block 15 or not. Defect generally cares the least about it on the bosses but it can be a real pain in hallways and some elites when combined with its usual slow setup - knowing which turns you can afford not to block and play that expensive Echo Form or get Electrodynamics going or whatever.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Kiranamos posted:

try it some time on lower ascension levels when you're entering act 3 with a good block engine, it's way better than you think. (i have an A14 ironclad heart kill with it most recently)

i especially appreciate it against writhing mass where i don't have to feel any anxiety about playing attacks

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zoracle Zed posted:

try it some time on lower ascension levels when you're entering act 3 with a good block engine, it's way better than you think. (i have an A14 ironclad heart kill with it most recently)

i especially appreciate it against writhing mass where i don't have to feel any anxiety about playing attacks

Even then though, there's the curse.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

MJeff posted:

Even then though, there's the curse.

without runic dome, you have to worry that playing the last attack in your hand is going to get you cursed (or switch to a massive attack or whatever). with runic dome it's very easy to convince yourself the spaghetti monster is currently cursing you and playing that last attack is absolutely the right thing to do!

found a slightly older A17 ironclad runic dome win. i remember being pretty proud of this one but don't remember exactly how it worked, except obviously 2x FNP+ and all the apparitions were pretty important

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Whoops wrongish thread

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Runic Dome is mathematically correct. Pay more attention to enemy attack patterns.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
using my superior knowledge of game mechanics and probabilities, I rest easy knowing that the enemy is either attacking for 50 or 0. checkmate.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Runic Dome is mathematically correct. Pay more attention to enemy attack patterns.

I can assure you I’m very well familiar with their patterns.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

the holy poopacy posted:

using my superior knowledge of game mechanics and probabilities, I rest easy knowing that the enemy is either attacking for 50 or 0. checkmate.

Just block for 25, that's about right, on average.

I used to be really afraid of runic dome, but now I can sometimes take it and be OK. Most fights are patterned, or the variance is low enough that safe plays work out fine. After a while, the fights just become intuitive anyways, so the Dome isn't doing much. But those other fights that aren't so patterned can get loving scary. It's really nice if your deck can block easily. Something like Calipers, frost orbs, or FnP, that gives a safe baseline of damage to ignore each turn, so the surprise hits don't hurt as much.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
even if you know their current intent, most enemy behavior patterns are still probabilistic turn-to-turn, right? so you’re always (runic dome or not) predicting what they’re going to do next turn, and the turn after that… and playing the cards that maximize your chance of winning. by taking RD, you’re giving up some short-term feedback on what’s going to happen in exchange for being better able to capitalize on successfully predicting what’s going to happen

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zoracle Zed posted:

even if you know their current intent, most enemy behavior patterns are still probabilistic turn-to-turn, right? so you’re always (runic dome or not) predicting what they’re going to do next turn, and the turn after that… and playing the cards that maximize your chance of winning. by taking RD, you’re giving up some short-term feedback on what’s going to happen in exchange for being better able to capitalize on successfully predicting what’s going to happen

There are very few truly random enemies in the game and most of the elites and bosses are roughly or completely deterministic. Champ is the main exception. The only major difficulty Runic Dome offers to a highly skilled player (or one with Bestiary installed) is the Heart, where the big attack and multi-attack usually need to be handled differently.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There are very few truly random enemies in the game and most of the elites and bosses are roughly or completely deterministic. Champ is the main exception. The only major difficulty Runic Dome offers to a highly skilled player (or one with Bestiary installed) is the Heart, where the big attack and multi-attack usually need to be handled differently.

oh cool, when did they patch out Nemesis and Time Eater?

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Runic dome makes me think hard. Philosophers stone makes my brain nice and smooth as I die to the birds

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The effing birds punish me for choosing All Out Attack over Dagger Spray.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

oh cool, when did they patch out Nemesis and Time Eater?

About the same time they altered the English language so that "most" means "all".

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Just runic domed for act 2 boss and proceeded to beat the heart without Catalyst. Its one of the better energy relics for sure. Philosophers stone always fucks me up yet i still pick it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jedit posted:

Oh, well, only the crux point of the hardest fight in the entire game, no big deal.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

You all have convinced me to take Runic Dome and trust my instincts, I will report back with my results.

Edit: gently caress

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
ez 3x upgraded Mayhem build in yesterdays daily was some fun. No Time-Eater to ruin it either.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jedit posted:

About the same time they altered the English language so that "most" means "all".

what does only mean now in this new language

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The issue with Runic Dome is actually not related to its viability; I can easily believe it's a useful option in some situations. The issue with Runic Dome is that if Slay the Spire had launched with no gold, or no potions, or a 6 card limit per turn, or any of the other downsides attached to the various energy relics, it still would have been a big hit. If Slay the Spire had launched without enemy intents it would have been a complete failure. Everyone would have said it was poo poo, and they would be right.

It's like Frozen Eye: taking it makes the game bad.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

:smuggo:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

nrook posted:

The issue with Runic Dome is actually not related to its viability; I can easily believe it's a useful option in some situations. The issue with Runic Dome is that if Slay the Spire had launched with no gold, or no potions, or a 6 card limit per turn, or any of the other downsides attached to the various energy relics, it still would have been a big hit. If Slay the Spire had launched without enemy intents it would have been a complete failure. Everyone would have said it was poo poo, and they would be right.

that seems sort of reductive

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Frozen Eye is the only relic I will never take

I just hate that kind of busywork. It's also a large reason why I dislike Watcher (all the Scry cards) and have barely played Watcher runs since it released. It's similar to how feelsbad Tools of the Trade is with the annoying discard prompt every turn.

My runs are like 60% IC 35% Silent 5% Defect over the past year lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I need to be in the right mood to take Frozen Eye but Scry loving rocks. You can just get rid of all the crap and get to your cards sooner and they're all Watcher cards, which makes it even better.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

this mf knows whats up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nrook posted:

I agree that if Spire never showed you intents then it would be bad, but that's because removing them completely would be an impediment to learning the game. Runic Dome doesn't stop you learning the game; it rewards you for having learned it. If you don't know the game well before you take it then you can't win with it, but when Baalor did his Boss Swap A20H challenges he one-shotted Dome.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It's interesting that the two relics that people dislike the most are one that takes information away from you (dome) and one that does the opposite (frozen eye).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

It's interesting that the two relics that people dislike the most are one that takes information away from you (dome) and one that does the opposite (frozen eye).

The worst boss relic to swap into is the Busted Crown, because it takes options away from you.

Another relic that a lot of people dislike is Snecko Eye, because they think it reduces your ability to plan turns. Hence the joke, "What's your favourite Eye relic - Golden, Snecko or Frozen?" "Kun."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you map your draw pile to a hotkey then Frozen Eye is a lot easier to use.

Snecko rules, but everyone knows that already. The trick isn't necessarily to draft high cost cards, it's to draft a lot of card draw. I had an A20 victory recently where I had Gambling Chip and Snecko Eye. Turns out the game's pretty easy when you have insanely high-impact opening turns.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Frozen eye would be a lot better if it showed your draws as a stack next to your draw pile. I think there's a mod that does this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ There is, it's part of the Minty compilation. Only shows the next five though, and it's slightly confusing as they're shown from bottom to top.

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you map your draw pile to a hotkey then Frozen Eye is a lot easier to use.

It's mapped by default, isn't it? I haven't looked at the settings for a while, but I'm sure the deck and the Draw, Discard and Exhaust piles are mapped to WASD.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dislike Snecko because it turns out deckbuilding is a lot more boring when you throw one of the main dimensions of card balance out the window, which is a bad trait to have in a deckbuilder.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

I dislike Snecko because it turns out deckbuilding is a lot more boring when you throw one of the main dimensions of card balance out the window, which is a bad trait to have in a deckbuilder.
I agree, but it's just an option, and I like the occasional changeup.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm fine with it but it shows up a little too often. Seeing it in > a quarter of your runs is too common for how dramatic its effect is given how powerful it is. It's the kind of thing that would feel better at a 10% frequency. Not saying it should be changed now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Snecko from the A2 boss is much less valuable than Snecko from the A1 boss, though. I regularly skip A2 Snecko because my deck is generally already pretty complete by then and I don't always have the draw/discard to mitigate its potential downside.