Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The brand name got sold after the PE firm did their thing, this is just some dumb investor thinking theirs some value in the brand name. And that people shop at Macy's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ah good, the store I visited specifically because I either needed to browse to get something roughly near what was asked, or needed something TODAY, now offers... Online shopping.

Welp

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The brand name got sold after the PE firm did their thing, this is just some dumb investor thinking theirs some value in the brand name. And that people shop at Macy's

there is value in reviving brands, but you need the brand to match the service. That said, I'm very aware this is Macy's flailing for relevance

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Macy’s is healthier than other traditional department stores. They seemed to have carved out a near luxury niche unlike walking dead chains like JCP or Sears.

A reinvention of TRU could work if they dressed it up to better match Macy’s. What passes for toy stores now is sad. Maybe the new TRU is will feel more like miniature FAO Swartz than a Walmart. Not sure how many toys they’d sell, but all it really needs to do is increase foot traffic in their stores.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Bring back the Nintendo flip boxes and the tickets, TRU.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The successful Canadian branch of TRU bought like 90 stores of the American corpse. Thoughts on how long that'll last?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Bring back the Nintendo flip boxes and the tickets, TRU.

Yessss. As a kid I knew there technically wasn't a difference between buying a game elsewhere and using the tickets at Toys R Us, but something about the ticket process at Toys R Us made it seem more exciting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Macy’s is healthier than other traditional department stores. They seemed to have carved out a near luxury niche unlike walking dead chains like JCP or Sears.

A reinvention of TRU could work if they dressed it up to better match Macy’s. What passes for toy stores now is sad. Maybe the new TRU is will feel more like miniature FAO Swartz than a Walmart. Not sure how many toys they’d sell, but all it really needs to do is increase foot traffic in their stores.

The last time I was in a TRU, it was sub-walmart in atmosphere, it was sadder than sad

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

Vegetable posted:

BBC investigation on OnlyFans
you'll have to be clearer here

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I always perceived Macy's as a rich person's store. With people getting poorer and poorer, of course they are going to suffer. We also never shopped at mall stores or department stores like Kohl's, JC Penney, Sears, Nordstrom. All those places are way too expensive compared to Target and Wal-Mart.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

mlnhd posted:

I always perceived Macy's as a rich person's store. With people getting poorer and poorer, of course they are going to suffer. We also never shopped at mall stores or department stores like Kohl's, JC Penney, Sears, Nordstrom. All those places are way too expensive compared to Target and Wal-Mart.

Funny because out of that list only Nordstrom is the one I think of as upscale and the other's are just places to get dressier clothes at for me. I've accidentally learned how to play the store charge/coupon game at department stores to take out some of the sting of the cost I guess. Anyone remember when JC Penney's tried to stop doing sales and coupons and put items at the appropriate price mark up and it bombed spectacularly because consumers are too used to the dopamine hit of getting something on a good deal?

Also does anyone remember Kaufmann's, McCurdy's or Sibley's? I was not pleased when Macy's bought out Kaufmann's years ago.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyone remember when JC Penney's tried to stop doing sales and coupons and put items at the appropriate price mark up and it bombed spectacularly because consumers are too used to the dopamine hit of getting something on a good deal?

Yes, and it still disappoints me that this was the result. I hate that you have to do stupid psychology tricks for customers or get left behind. No one wants to deal with 99 cents.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Funny because out of that list only Nordstrom is the one I think of as upscale and the other's are just places to get dressier clothes at for me.

Except for Nordstrom, they are all categorized as "discount retailers" or whatever the phrase is, and they've been using that term as long as I can remember, but they still charge one hundred dollars for a pair of jeans and thirty dollars for a tee shirt.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do JC Penneys or sears even still exist? Kohls is a cut above target for clothes but they don't carry anything fancier than Levi's / Dockers and continuously run 30% off "sales". Not something I'd classify as "upmarket'.

Nordstroms is proper rich people poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do JC Penneys or sears even still exist? Kohls is a cut above target for clothes but they don't carry anything fancier than Levi's / Dockers and continuously run 30% off "sales". Not something I'd classify as "upmarket'.

Kohls is actually doing pretty good. Their partnership with Amazon seems to have helped as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how everything at Kohl's is on "sale" at all times.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how everything at Kohl's is on "sale" at all times.

As covered above, JC Penny's got annihilated when they tried to end that transparent bullshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JCPenneys is still around

There are probably only 20 or so Sears left at this point though. The company has been very slow to update the list of open stores, but I've seen articles suggesting that the total number of stores remaining are 20 or less.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Penney's still exists, I just got my charge bill from them in the mail today :v:. These stores have been on my mind lately as I've just had to go dress shopping and yeah because Kohl's have slid so far down in the quality and type of clothes they offer I didn't even bother going there to look. It is rather disappointing that Penney's got destroyed for dropping pretenses about sales, because even though I mentioned being able to play the coupon game I don't really like doing all that work to maximise the "savings." God I can remember shopping with my aunt and her calculating out which of the reams of coupons would be best to use; ie using the $10 off of one item vs the 20% off the overall purchase and poo poo like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mlnhd posted:

Except for Nordstrom, they are all categorized as "discount retailers" or whatever the phrase is, and they've been using that term as long as I can remember, but they still charge one hundred dollars for a pair of jeans and thirty dollars for a tee shirt.
They all have enough cpnstant sales going on for lower-income people to be able to shop there while getting slightly higher-end clothes. Kohl's in particular has always aimed for that market - with all the perma-sales you rarely pay that much for your clothes. Growing up we got most of our clothes there, and this was off the measly amount of money a school bus driver single mom made. (and she'd complain enough if I was eyeing a $50 pair of jeans; $100 would be out of the question)

Of course, nowadays places like Target have a better clothes selection than they used to, which is probably eating into that market.

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyone remember when JC Penney's tried to stop doing sales and coupons and put items at the appropriate price mark up and it bombed spectacularly because consumers are too used to the dopamine hit of getting something on a good deal?
Don't forget the artificial urgency of 'gotta decide if I want this NOW, the sale ends in X days!'.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mlnhd posted:

The quality of clothing has dropped so far across the board in the last 5 years or so that I don't know how anyone can still buy clothes at Walmart. That poo poo starts falling apart after the first wear/wash cycle. If I buy something at Macy's it will at least last a year or so. Meanwhile I've got ten year old shirts that still hold up just fine...

Anyone know of any secret retailers where you can buy clothes that are anything close to durable these days?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt this problem called "fast fashion"?

like before 2020, i remember some women clothes makers saying how this has terrible human labor problems, and terrible evironmental impact though out the entire process.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

isnt this problem called "fast fashion"?

like before 2020, i remember some women clothes makers saying how this has terrible human labor problems, and terrible evironmental impact though out the entire process.

The problem is called capitalism.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

The quality of clothing has dropped so far across the board in the last 5 years or so that I don't know how anyone can still buy clothes at Walmart. That poo poo starts falling apart after the first wear/wash cycle. If I buy something at Macy's it will at least last a year or so. Meanwhile I've got ten year old shirts that still hold up just fine...

Anyone know of any secret retailers where you can buy clothes that are anything close to durable these days?

Weargustin.com

Small batch made in LA. You gotta wait for their production runs but it’s good stuff at a good value

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Moon Monster posted:

It's been longer than that. I used to get tons of shirts in Target and Walmart around 15 years ago and never had issues. They were just normal shirts and they all held up after repeated wearings and washings. I still have a few of them and aside from some occasional fading or cracking of design on them, they're all perfectly fine. Anything I've seen in either store in the last 10 years looks cheap and/or so thin just on the rack that I've only bought maybe one, and even it is already noticeably thinner than stuff I've had twice as long and worn twice as much (Notably some concert t-shirts).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Moon Monster posted:

You'll have to specify an acceptable price point for articles X or Y. It gets real :homebrew: real fast.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ve recently gotten into “The Laundry Evangelist” and some of his advice is minimizing number of washes on certain items, air drying, and avoiding Tide or similar. Prior to learning about this dood, I had been air drying my socks for a couple years and they have lasted so much longer.

Also, he recommends splitting loads between whites, blacks, cool colors, and warm colors. All washed in warm to actually activate the soap. It’s definitely made a difference. I’m interested to see how long I can make some of my clothes last now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

There’s a site called Huckberry that has durable stylish clothing. I’ve had good luck with their house brands that are made in the US.

Dearborn Denim is another company that makes all their stuff in Chicago and is pretty good quality.

Prices are more, but not that bad. Honestly a lot of their stuff is priced similar to Kohl’s, but in a world where Kohl’s has no discounts or coupons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nordstrom’s is a poor person’s idea of a rich person’s store.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Platystemon posted:

Nordstrom’s is a poor person’s idea of a rich person’s store.

Then what is Nordstrom Rack?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Zil posted:

I think that's the fancy name for their outlet/discount stores?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

It's been going on for longer than that, but I think in recent years we've crossed a threshold where it's gotten particularly bad across the board. Thin, lovely fabrics and synthetic blends all over the place. Everything is stretch now, which isn't always a bad thing but typically isn't the best for durability.

Anything from major retail brands (common stuff you'll find in the malls and department stores) is an utter crapshoot. I usually end up just taking for-loving-ever to shop, checking out every store and scrutinizing the hell out of everything. Brand X might have good t-shirts this year, but then next year I find Brand Y's are better.

I've been looking into more boutique brands, but most are only really available online, and shopping for clothes online loving blows. All the size charts, detailed descriptions, and reviews will never compare to just loving trying poo poo on in a store. Price can also be a hangup sometimes, like I'm not ready to drop $50+ for a goddamn t-shirt.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

SO DEMANDING posted:

It's been going on for longer than that, but I think in recent years we've crossed a threshold where it's gotten particularly bad across the board. Thin, lovely fabrics and synthetic blends all over the place. Everything is stretch now, which isn't always a bad thing but typically isn't the best for durability.

Anything from major retail brands (common stuff you'll find in the malls and department stores) is an utter crapshoot. I usually end up just taking for-loving-ever to shop, checking out every store and scrutinizing the hell out of everything. Brand X might have good t-shirts this year, but then next year I find Brand Y's are better.

I've been looking into more boutique brands, but most are only really available online, and shopping for clothes online loving blows. All the size charts, detailed descriptions, and reviews will never compare to just loving trying poo poo on in a store. Price can also be a hangup sometimes, like I'm not ready to drop $50+ for a goddamn t-shirt.

I got a 10 pack of shirts for ~20 bucks on amazon; they're all the same drab greyish green color and loose threads hanging out everywhere. I only wear them at home after I change out of my 'nice' shirts that are much better quality. I have some shirts that are 20 or so years old that are still perfectly fine but way too big for me now; but I'll still wear those on like laundry day or if I'm wearing my hoodie over them.

These days if somebody gifts me clothes that don't fit or I buy a bunch of clothes online and only some of them don't fit right; I'll just dump them in the donation box instead of going through the hassle of returning them. A lot of that depends on how much that item was though, I guess my personal annoyance factor goes away at around 25$.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

In my area the only places with a decent-sized toy selection are Target and Walmart, and I refuse to shop at Walmart on principle unless I'm desperate. If Macy's actually devotes decent floorspace to a toy section and it's not just a sad corner tucked away at the back of the store like at Kohl's or half an aisle like Walgreen's I'll welcome it as a man-child toy collector.

Hopefully Toys R Us will work their way back to dedicated stores though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Knormal posted:

In my area the only places with a decent-sized toy selection are Target and Walmart, and I refuse to shop at Walmart on principle unless I'm desperate. If Macy's actually devotes decent floorspace to a toy section and it's not just a sad corner tucked away at the back of the store like at Kohl's or half an aisle like Walgreen's I'll welcome it as a man-child toy collector.

Hopefully Toys R Us will work their way back to dedicated stores though.

Some of the bigger stores definitely have space to spare. The 3 story one near me has the perfume and watches and business attire and anything else they can present as high class, third story has bedding and poo poo aimed at olds, along with stuff that is legitimately expensive and high end but not super cool. But second they just don't know what to do with. They moved kids and kiddult clothes there, so they finally got people a reason to stop, but there's only so much they can put up there and still maintain the "we have nicer stuff than Walmart and Target" so they have all this other space. At Christmas they roll out poo poo that is legit Dollar General faire in fancy packaging but they can't be happy with that and they can only leave it out so much of the year. Replacing that with a Toys R Us section is probably pretty smart.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

Man that's the truth. I used to buy my pants from Torrid because they were good quality and they fit really well. It was 80$ for a pair of jeans which is high, but they lasted me years and I could usually get them on sale. I went back about six months or so ago to get a new pair and all they had in the store was skinny jeans which I'm not a fan of. So I went online, got the style I normally get, and when I got them, they didn't have any pockets (just those fake ones). So I thought maybe I got the wrong style by mistake, returned them, and ordered a new pair. Same drat thing. I ended up finding a pair on their website that DID have pockets, but the fabric is so thin I don't think it'll last me the rest of the year.

So now I've accepted my middle-aged-woman-ness and just go to Lane Bryant. The price is the same, but it's better quality fabric, it fits ok, and I don't have to worry that the pockets are fake.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Aug 22, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zil posted:

B to C

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Empty Sandwich posted:

when I was in college, all the local radio stations aimed at my demographic were alternative. no pop, no rap, nothing other than alternative.

the students running the college radio station, for reasons that I do not and cannot understand, insisted that said college radio station play only alternative.

so in my area, there was no alternative to alternative.

A couple of pages ago, but...

If you were in college in the same timeframe as the quote you were posting, early '90's, then I think the issue was that the alternative category was born from what, up until then, was called college rock. You had bands like Nirvana and R.E.M. that were big on those college stations, so when that stuff broke, the record companies started mining that genre, bring it more mainstream.

Around that time, I was lucky enough to have Impact 89 from MSU to listen to. Phenomenal station. While they would play the same alternative hits that would show up on the "mainstream" stations occasionally, they at least would have dedicated programs where you wouldn't hear any of that. Progressive Torch & Twang for Country music, Mechanical Pulse for Industrial and Electronic, something-something-Zydeco for Zydeco music, etc.

I'm in Milwaukee now, and WMSE from Milwaukee School of Engineering is similar. The primary programming is Blues (!?) but they also have really diverse programs.

I guess to tie this into the "circling the drain" subject, it's kind of the opposite. While there's been rampant consolidation and destruction in standard terrestrial radio, college stations still exist and still find and promote fringe music.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ That kind of variety is why I always tell people to check out Soma FM. It's the streaming equivalent of college radio, imo, but instead of programs you get entire stations dedicated to a genre.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wankel13b posted:

If you were in college in the same timeframe as the quote you were posting, early '90's, then I think the issue was that the alternative category was born from what, up until then, was called college rock. You had bands like Nirvana and R.E.M. that were big on those college stations, so when that stuff broke, the record companies started mining that genre, bring it more mainstream.

mid-late 90s, so it was just the same top-40 alternative we were hearing on 3 other stations -- they weren't treading any new ground, which was what seemed bizarre. they sharply limited genre shows, too (though that was the place I first heard Goodie Mob). I kind of felt cheated of the college radio experience... everywhere else I've ever been has had a much cooler mix.

another good source for music is independent public radio stations, oddly. WNCW near Asheville (especially for old-time, local, and true indie stuff), WFPK in Louisville (everything, from what I recall), KEXP in Seattle (I only know them from the sample breakdown shows they play for 90s rap albums).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Moon Monster posted:

This is why I have a closet full of shirts and pants from Duluth. The last and some even look moderately presentable for a work shirt.