Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel Ted would have a less vague username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

howe_sam posted:

everything about how Rebecca pumps herself up for meetings from the way the shot was framed to Keeyley's reaction to it. I also remain fascinated by what they're doing with Nate because he's the lone discordant note on the SS AFC Richmond good times boat.
Both of these. I know Hannah Waddingham is all tall and Amazonian, but goddamn.

Nate has been fascinating this whole season. For me, he's been cutting the saccharine feeling that a lot of people have been understandably complaining about. Especially since a major part of his arc is that nobody is quite paying attention to his changes while that exact attention is being extended to everyone else. I definitely feel there's a breaking point approaching.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Azhais posted:

I feel Ted would have a less vague username

I think that's the point of it, it's as anonymous as they can make it with assigned random usernames and no pictures. Like someone said, it could just be the 152nd person in London to start using it as it's relatively new or it's just random numbers and letters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Robobot posted:

I think this is a very Ted Lasso thing to say:

Now we just have to figure out what LDN152 means and we can beat the game! pat ourselves on the back as if it wasn't foreshadowing!

London 152? Anyone know a character's address?

Alternatively, Lasso Divorcee ____. No idea on the numbers.
Lasso Dating Now?

seaborgium posted:

I think that's the point of it, it's as anonymous as they can make it with assigned random usernames and no pictures. Like someone said, it could just be the 152nd person in London to start using it as it's relatively new or it's just random numbers and letters.

The usernames aren't random. Look at the other username in the screenshot. "Bossgirl"

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 21, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1429066182330654724?s=19

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Apparently in You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's username was "shopgirl" and Tom Hanks' was "NY152"

I like the idea it's Beard

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pzy posted:

Apparently in You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's username was "shopgirl" and Tom Hanks' was "NY152"

At the very least I think you've solved where the username came from.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Spacebump posted:

This season does feel off. I haven't watched season 1 in a while but it felt more focused and there were stakes. Now the team may be relegated again and so far that has only been mentioned in the background.

I rewatched S1 ahead of this season and I don't think there were many high stakes. Sure it seemed like Rebecca was out to ruin everything but it got resolved with no drama. The only real villian of S1 was Rupert and he was defeated by a game of darts.

The personal stuff between the staff/players was much bigger part of the show and I think we are still getting the same level.

Now I have my only comment about this week: Roy continues to be the best.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pzy posted:

Doesn’t Beard already have a partner though?

Zero One posted:

Now I have my only comment about this week: Roy continues to be the best.
This is a fact, he’s the superstar of the season so far. It’s going to be fun to see him presumably clash with Jamie again, and possibly also Nate given how he looked at the end next to Roy, that assertiveness bit is probably going to come up again.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Rewatched e5 tonight, I think when they get to the scene when Ted sits finally sits down with Dr. Fieldstone it’s going to be a big one.
early on she takes notes after his “rom-com/everything always works out in the end” and then she stops him again before the Sheffield game and follows his “Under Pressure” Ted-ism, when previously she’d just be confused. She is understanding him now, and based on her “I’m twice as good at my job as you are at your job” line, I think she’s going to dissect him at some point with a big catharsis moment for Ted that allows him to lead the team to a championship/etc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zero One posted:

I rewatched S1 ahead of this season and I don't think there were many high stakes.

The stakes were getting relegated out of the Premier League. This episode they casually mention the team could get relegated out of the Championship and it doesn't seem to bother anyone the same despite this being worse. It is already hard enough for them to justify their current roster in the league they are in but if they fell into an even lower league keeping most of the roster or any coaches wouldn't make sense. I'm sure the back half of the season will deal with this, it just feels odd atm.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spacebump posted:

The stakes were getting relegated out of the Premier League. This episode they casually mention the team could get relegated out of the Championship and it doesn't seem to bother anyone the same despite this being worse. It is already hard enough for them to justify their current roster in the league they are in but if they fell into an even lower league keeping most of the roster or any coaches wouldn't make sense. I'm sure the back half of the season will deal with this, it just feels odd atm.

This is another thing thrown into weirdness by the Christmas episode where they showed their record as 4-4-11, which is not great but not in serious relegation danger. For reference the relegation zone in the Championship last year started at 43 points, Richmond's record less than halfway into the season has them with 23.

I did appreciate this episode doing The Sheffield Wednesday Joke.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zero One posted:

I rewatched S1 ahead of this season and I don't think there were many high stakes. Sure it seemed like Rebecca was out to ruin everything but it got resolved with no drama. The only real villian of S1 was Rupert and he was defeated by a game of darts.

The stakes of S1 was that Ted Lasso was this pure alien flower of positivity that was going to be broken by the harsh realities of the previously on-going soap-opera he had found himself in. The entire premise of the show is that he's so charming that instead he changes everyone else. The villain of season 1 was cynicism itself, as a concept.

S2, who knows.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't think that this stretch of "nothing matters, be happy" will last. I think the show is setting the audience up to be in as much denial as the characters. All these happy episodes make us complacent until the other shoe drops.

Ted's speech about the team being in a fairy tale and that everything will work out for them was a little on the nose.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

njsykora posted:

Doesn’t Beard already have a partner though?

They broke up, there was that joke about going to Stonehenge

I think beard would have a chess username

e: an article was just recommended to me by Google, as it does. I didn't realize that Dani's actor was actually a footballer for Guadalajara before he had a career ending knee injury
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/f-tbol-life-mexican-actor-cristo-fern-ndez-loving-his-n1277063

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 22, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I ahlf expected the Christmas episode to end with Beard coming back, looking like he just left Burning Man and saying "so you know that Pagan festival, turns out its a marriage ceremony, and its legal in England, so..."

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Maybe I misheard, but I thought conversation in the episode was about how the team is doing now, post relegation, not saying they were in danger of it happening again?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Laughed my rear end off at Isaac and Ted's reaction to Roy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Maybe I misheard, but I thought conversation in the episode was about how the team is doing now, post relegation, not saying they were in danger of it happening again?

I think you're right. Without running the numbers, my assumption was they're having a mediocre but not yet disastrous season.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pokeyman posted:

I think you're right. Without running the numbers, my assumption was they're having a mediocre but not yet disastrous season.

No, the quote from the episode was during the last bit when they were showing Richmond warming up in a vaguely playful manner was "It's all pretty loosey-goosey isn't it, especially for a team that's at the business end of the relegation zone"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Thought you were talking about the show there for a second LOL.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Azhais posted:

No, the quote from the episode was during the last bit when they were showing Richmond warming up in a vaguely playful manner was "It's all pretty loosey-goosey isn't it, especially for a team that's at the business end of the relegation zone"

Right. I thought they were like halfway through the season though? With sufficient time to claw their way back up?

I'm also assuming we're literally following Ted's plan from the end of season one when he says they'll get a promotion, which looks good on any resume. Maybe I'm naive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Since they haven't been getting wins, I'm guessing they are in the bottom half of whatever league they are in right now. Depending on how many seasons they plan on doing, I'm guessing the finale for the whole show will be them being promoted back into the premier league. And everyone pats themselves on the backs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Since they haven't been getting wins, I'm guessing they are in the bottom half of whatever league they are in right now. Depending on how many seasons they plan on doing, I'm guessing the finale for the whole show will be them being promoted back into the premier league. And everyone pats themselves on the backs.

I remember 3 seasons being the magic number, in part because Jason Sudeikis doesn't want to schlep to the UK for half the year in perpetuity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it's 3 seasons, then I'm guessing they pull out a few wins this season to be able to stay in this league, and then next season they win a bunch and get promoted back to premier league.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Back in Premier this year, win Premier league season 3.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Winning the Premiership would be a stretch, but I can totally see an FA Cup win.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Robobot posted:

Back in Premier this year, win Premier league season 3.

They will win the playoff final. The rest is the undiscovered country.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pokeyman posted:

Right. I thought they were like halfway through the season though? With sufficient time to claw their way back up?

I'm also assuming we're literally following Ted's plan from the end of season one when he says they'll get a promotion, which looks good on any resume. Maybe I'm naive.

I want to say the championship plays 40-something games a year (it's been a while since I forayed into the English leagues in FM), as far as we know they started with 8 draws, then started losing. I'm not sure they've actually said how many games they've played up to this point but it seems like there's plenty of time left to dig themselves out.

They'd need top 6 to get to the promotion playoff. If they started like 0-8-8 that'd be one hell of a run of wins to get there most seasons

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are 46 games in a Championship season and the Christmas episode showed results for 19, they’re not even halfway in yet.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Azhais posted:

I want to say the championship plays 40-something games a year (it's been a while since I forayed into the English leagues in FM), as far as we know they started with 8 draws, then started losing. I'm not sure they've actually said how many games they've played up to this point but it seems like there's plenty of time left to dig themselves out.

They'd need top 6 to get to the promotion playoff. If they started like 0-8-8 that'd be one hell of a run of wins to get there most seasons

At Christmas they were 4-4-11

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DurosKlav posted:

At Christmas they were 4-4-11

I missed that, thanks!

So 23 points in 19 games, that's totally recoverable

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Azhais posted:

I missed that, thanks!

So 23 points in 19 games, that's totally recoverable

Sorry I was wrong, I just went back and looked and its 4-4-14

I assume the 26 is games left?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

One of the guys on the sports show specifically mentions the team looking too loose or happy for being on the business end of the relegation zone. I wonder how much time passed between the most recent episode and the Christmas one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

I appreciate the eraser streaks around the numbers. And of course NUTZ.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DurosKlav posted:

26 points. 3 per win, 1 per draw.

They've played 22 games, so 24 more to go

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now they’re in the championship, they need to do an episode where they play Millwall.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How does promotion/relegation work? Does it happen every single year? Or only if there is a team good/bad enough to trigger that function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

How does promotion/relegation work? Does it happen every single year? Or only if there is a team good/bad enough to trigger that function?

Bottom 3 go down no matter what. In the Football League (Championship/League 1/League 2 yes it's confusing) the top 2 are automatically promoted, then 3rd to 6th play in the playoffs for the 3rd promotion spot. So every year 3 teams go down into the league below them, the top 2+playoffs winners go up to replace them.

So in the real world last year, Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and Sheffield United were relegated from the Premier League. They were replaced by Norwich City, Watford and playoffs winners Brentford.

The English football league pyramid as it's known is big, so a team has to fall a long way before hitting the bottom. Below the 3 Premier League and Football League divisions are the National League and below that are various more regional leagues, including the almighty National League North where my hometown team Hereford FC play. The level of league also dictates what additional tournaments teams are eligible for, this is why the FA Cup is such a glorious competition. It's open to literally any team in the professional system no matter how far down they are.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 23, 2021