Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait there is no time limit in this game? Well gently caress.

I love the game, but man do I hate, hate, hate ticking clocks in RPGs. I blundered through about two-thirds of the main quest in an anxious rush because thought I had a deadline and didn't have a good sense of how much time I had left vs. how quickly I was progressing.

Guess I'll start over and take things a bit slower.

I mean... Kim really would prefer it if you got the dead body out of the tree.

Aside from that there's an Inland Empire passive somewhere that hints it'll be over in five days, but I think that's just Inland Empire breaking the fourth wall the way it does when it warns you about your character portrait changing.

Only novel interactions advance the clock, and before they added the vision quest I legit ran out of things to do around the fifth day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, there's a big thing the game tells multiple times is happening in a few days, but it's gated by the main quest progress, not by the clock. Off the top of my head, there's one thing that's time-sensitive but it doesn't have a major impact

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The first two playthroughs I did I rushed through because I incorrectly intuited the game ended in 7 days. :negative:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, my first run, trying to muddle through every side quest that existed (no vision quests) I'm pretty sure I faced The Tribunal on like, Day 4. If you stay up late and don't play board games a lot of stuff can get done. Was a couple of years ago though, so my memory might be faulty.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
One thing to keep in mind is that the clock freezes at 2 AM every night until you go to bed so you have unlimited time during those periods. The caveat is that some places are closed and most NPCs are asleep at that point but it's also a good time to play your board games and catch up on any reading

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Saw there was suddenly a lot of new posts in this thread, thought maybe some news had come up, but nope it was just a bunch of people gushing over Kim.

This is of course perfectly good and right and proper, because Kim is the loving GOAT.

TACD posted:

this rules, then I went and listened to the tracks they've done for other games and they all suck, so now I don't know if I'm being blinded by bias

I'm not a huge fan of his stuff overall but he's got a handful of songs I really like. This one's one of his very best though, I agree on that. And it probably is partly due to bias for the source material, yes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

cumshitter posted:

I got the final honor check for that conversation during the final interrogation on the island and it couldn't have been better times given how serious that conversation is. Seconds after solving the case my Harry shoved his thumb right up his rear end.

I got the honor check right after dealing with Ruby. I burst into laughter when that dumb honor check shattered the tension.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Kalsco posted:

The first two playthroughs I did I rushed through because I incorrectly intuited the game ended in 7 days. :negative:

Same, on my first playthrough I skipped the end of the phasmid and church sidequests because inland empire told me we only had 5 days to prevent bloodshed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s a question. You can beat the game without getting the body down right?

Can one get the gun back from Pigs and then shoot the body down at night after Kim has gone to sleep?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Here’s a question. You can beat the game without getting the body down right?

Can one get the gun back from Pigs and then shoot the body down at night after Kim has gone to sleep?

There's even an achievement for it (that also requires a very specific chain of responses at the end)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

EorayMel posted:

There's even an achievement for it (that also requires a very specific chain of responses at the end)

Just so everyone's clear the achievement is for beating the game without getting the body down, not for shooting it down without Kim

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

christmas boots posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the clock freezes at 2 AM every night until you go to bed so you have unlimited time during those periods. The caveat is that some places are closed and most NPCs are asleep at that point but it's also a good time to play your board games and catch up on any reading

On the other hand there’s really no reason to since there’s no real time limit. Doing all side quests and reading all books and playing the board game on the clock still takes less than 7 days to finish

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

35 days sounds like a soft limit, aka that's the sum of all new conversation options you can select that advance time, since it doesn't advance unless you're selecting a conversation option you haven't selected yet

if it's a hard limit and there's a newspaper card for it tho I'd love to see it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You can still advance time by reading books or case files over and over though

I also doubt that taking every conversation option would even get you close to 35 days

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

35 days is just how long someone on Reddit spent spamming books and other reusable time sinks before giving up. There doesn’t appear to be any actual cap on the number of days.

Also, there are only a handful of time-limited tasks, most stuff only needs a specific time of day.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 23, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Also aside from the Day 1 debrief with Kim, it doesn’t look like there’s any time limited tasks, only stuff that needs a specific time of day.

There are a few obvious counter examples to this and probably some I'm forgetting too. But off the top of my head:
- Any interaction with the lawyer lady when she's in gardener mode is day 1 only.
- I think you can only talk to the mysterious eyes at the dock entrance on day 1?
- The biggest one of course is rene dies day three or four, I forget which.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, fair points. Updated muh post.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are a few obvious counter examples to this and probably some I'm forgetting too. But off the top of my head:
- Any interaction with the lawyer lady when she's in gardener mode is day 1 only.
- I think you can only talk to the mysterious eyes at the dock entrance on day 1?
- The biggest one of course is rene dies day three or four, I forget which.

There's also
The sleeping dockworker in the Whirling. He wakes up and leaves after the first day.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
There is also some dude eating sausage down by the broken billboard, along with visual calculus check on the broken billboard itself.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

How does the task to visit the smoking man the next day work? Like, if I pick that up on day one, don't see him on day two, can I still see him on day three?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
IIRC you can visit him on any later day, just only at the suitable time (the late evening I think)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Vagabong posted:

There is also some dude eating sausage down by the broken billboard, along with visual calculus check on the broken billboard itself.

A whom doing what by the who ?? poo poo I need to explore more

Wait, is this the guy by the bridge who you can ask for some of his food? I thought it was salami but May be remembering wrong

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is this a new form of the classic "is a hotdog a sandwich" argument?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I take a perverse pleasure in describing the perfect sandwich to Gaston only to regretfully tell him that no one can make it

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Cross posting from why am I angry thread on gbs:

Could be Harry after solving the murder and quitting the RCM.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Who's Harry? That's clearly Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau. Look at all his savoir-faire, esprit de corps and panache.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
whoever he is he lacks The Expression and its corresponding pain

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

the_american_dream posted:

A whom doing what by the who ?? poo poo I need to explore more

Wait, is this the guy by the bridge who you can ask for some of his food? I thought it was salami but May be remembering wrong

I don't eat much meat, so I sorta assumed all cylindrical pork counted as sausages at the end of the day.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
No sorry I wasn’t intending to correct you. I just didn’t know if it was the same area and I missed a lot of things on my first play through thinking that time actually mattered.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I take a perverse pleasure in describing the perfect sandwich to Gaston only to regretfully tell him that no one can make it

same, op

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

tripwood posted:

Who's Harry? That's clearly Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau. Look at all his savoir-faire, esprit de corps and panache.

The entrepreneurial spirit screams ultra-liberal.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

At high levels, Electro-Chemistry makes you a man of unrestrained pleasure – an unrepentant Lothario who leers at people with a bottle of speed and a plastic bendy straw in either hand. But with a low Electro-Chemistry, you’ll be too innocent to be effective. Without a working knowledge of drugs and sex, the city will be difficult to understand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

BBQ Dave posted:

The entrepreneurial spirit screams ultra-liberal.

But the Joie de Vivre is palpable!

(I really liked my Ambrosius run. I played it in the wackiest, silliest way as possible. No drugs, no booze. Classy and slightly insane is the way Costeau rolls. Kim was a real drag though. Kid's got no finesse nor élégance.)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Crownhead Condom VS The Centipede

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Here's a crappy birthday card I drew my wife (with her version of Harry).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What was the Poem that Harry made to Tommy regarding the mirror/expression?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Grouchio posted:

What was the Poem that Harry made to Tommy regarding the mirror/expression?

Reflections by RS Thomas

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

(Never) gently caress With Kim Kitsuragi

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm early on in the game so have a quick query about money - are there any items that it's safe (or not) to pawn? So far I've just been pawning postcards and recycling bottles for cash. I resisted pawning the shot putt I found and I'm glad I did because I was able to use it to partially patch things up with the old guys whose game of petanque I ruined. So I'm now shy about pawning anything else in case it's useful later. I just want to get absolutely all the trash and take it around with me because it might help. Maybe that's the hobocop talking.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

I'm early on in the game so have a quick query about money - are there any items that it's safe (or not) to pawn? So far I've just been pawning postcards and recycling bottles for cash. I resisted pawning the shot putt I found and I'm glad I did because I was able to use it to partially patch things up with the old guys whose game of petanque I ruined. So I'm now shy about pawning anything else in case it's useful later. I just want to get absolutely all the trash and take it around with me because it might help. Maybe that's the hobocop talking.

Nothing will softlock you, though a few things might block bits of dialogue or skill boosts. Postcards are explicitly safe to pawn though IIRC.