Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

just cracked into my first-ever batch of lacto fermented cucumbers. fuckin best pickle i've had in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chard posted:

just cracked into my first-ever batch of lacto fermented cucumbers. fuckin best pickle i've had in my life.

cool, keep that recipe secret give me the recipe

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chard posted:

yeah they are.

make some Giardiniera now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Fermented-Vegetables-Creative-Fermenting-Chutneys/dp/1612124259

submerge in brine you’ll be fine.

edit : crocks rule and are the best for this stuff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Zisky posted:

Oh do you have a good piroshky recipe? My mom used to use philo dough and they're great but I've never done like a dough dough version.

Here's the one I use. I do not know where I got it:

quote:

PIROSHKY DOUGH

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups milk (354 ml)
1 tbsp dry yeast (9g)
1/2 tbsp sugar (6g)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp melted butter (43g)
1 egg
3 1/2 cups AP flour (440g)

PROCESS:
1) Pre-heat oven to 350F

2) Heat milk until warm (~115F) and then pour into a large mixing bowl.

3) Add the sugar and then sprinkle the yeast on top of the milk; let the mixture proof for 5 minutes.

4) Whisk in the melted butter, egg, and salt.

5) Gradually add the flour, whisking until it thickens into a thick batter. Continue adding flour until a soft dough forms.

6) Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; use additional flour as needed. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes until smooth and elastic.

7) Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with a towel and let proof until doubled in size (~45-60 minutes).

8) Punch down the risen dough and knead it on a floured surface for a minute or so.

9) Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin until the dough is 1/4" thick; using a 4.5" round biscuit cutter, punch out as many as you can.

10) Re-roll the leftover dough for a few additional rounds of dough.

11) Fill with filling of your choice and fold over to make half-rounds. Pinch edges down with your fingers.

12) Prepare an egg wash (1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp whole milk/cream) and brush over the top of all piroshkies.

13) Bake at 350F for 22-25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

all i did was brine (salt 1 Tbsp. per 2 cups water) with a smashed garlic clove, some peppercorns, a little dill seed and an oak leaf. a narrow-neck mason jar makes it real easy to keep all the cukes under the brine, left that on the counter for three days and then chilled. slightly fizzy, barely funky, very tasty.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah they are.

make some Giardiniera now.

its definitely awoken something within me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

drat this makes me wanna fry up some sopapillas

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chard posted:

its definitely awoken something within me

if you live with other people don’t ferment a large amount of garlic.

I mean it’s the loving best. but the smell during the ferment is a potential marriage ender.

can’t recommend getting a good crock enough.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if you live with other people don’t ferment a large amount of garlic.

I mean it’s the loving best. but the smell during the ferment is a potential marriage ender.

can’t recommend getting a good crock enough.

what makes a good crock; what should i look for when choosing one?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I have an Ohio stoneware number 2 and a number one. they come with weights and a lot and are very affordable. hardware stores Walmart or the internet will have them. for followers I cut circles out of old ikea flexible cutting boards.

for quart mason jars with air locks I had about a 2/3 success rate. for crocks about 9 out of 10 turns out right.

you’ll still have to skim but that’s not too bad because they have large openings.

for salt I’ve used Redmond real salt .

there is a canning and preserving thread in GWS that also has a bit fermenting.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Gonna try it at some point, thanks! Beef+onions+hard boiled egg should be a good start.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Chard posted:

wow that's awesome. i've had so much trouble with lacto fermented cucumbers coming out soggy, you're luck you got it right on the first try. i lacto ferment all sorts of other stuff and it always turns out well, just cucumbers always fail for me. i've tried with oak and grape leafs in the mix and i'm using the proper pickling cucumbers and i've still never gotten it to work. maybe i need a stronger brine, i wonder what % yours was?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chard posted:

all i did was brine (salt 1 Tbsp. per 2 cups water) with a smashed garlic clove, some peppercorns, a little dill seed and an oak leaf. a narrow-neck mason jar makes it real easy to keep all the cukes under the brine, left that on the counter for three days and then chilled. slightly fizzy, barely funky, very tasty.

Oh look, someone who knows how to properly handle a secret recepie.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Made some Ligurian-style focaccia, where you pour salt water over the top while it rises.

I just had a piece and I found religion. I don't even have words for how good this is. Here's the recipe, go make it: https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

also made my go to crusty white bread

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

wow that's awesome. i've had so much trouble with lacto fermented cucumbers coming out soggy, you're luck you got it right on the first try. i lacto ferment all sorts of other stuff and it always turns out well, just cucumbers always fail for me. i've tried with oak and grape leafs in the mix and i'm using the proper pickling cucumbers and i've still never gotten it to work. maybe i need a stronger brine, i wonder what % yours was?

cut off the blossom ends

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

cut off the blossom ends

this seems to be really important. most of the sources i checked said the ends contain some kind of enzyme that sogs them out. i also forgot to mention that i used Suyo long cucumbers which are burpless and less seedy than the ones i typically see in the grocery store, so that may have given me a bit of a head-start on the final prodcut's crunch.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

you also want to use pickling cucumbers not fresh eating salad cucumbers. they’ll turn out different in a ferment. generally they are only available in a short window each year. things will also get soft if the cucumbers grow too big if you are growing them your self.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

cut off the blossom ends

hmm, I thought that I did that but maybe I didn't take it seriously enough and wasn't careful enough. i'm about to try again this year and i will be super diligent about that.

I definitely *did* use pickling cucumbers, they sell them in big bags at the farmers market here with a giant bouquet of dill specifically for you to put in the fermentation crock with

maybe it could be temperature? i don't have AC and it was pretty hot last summer when I tried.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Zisky posted:

Gonna try it at some point, thanks! Beef+onions+hard boiled egg should be a good start.

my main go-to is potatoes, onions, and cheese.

I've also done beef and mushroom. and one time I made an apple filling and that was also delicious.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

my main go-to is potatoes, onions, and cheese.

I've also done beef and mushroom. and one time I made an apple filling and that was also delicious.

Im guessing you stew the apples first?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah and I boil the potatoes too

I basically just make a pie filling when I make the apple ones.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

maybe it could be temperature? i don't have AC and it was pretty hot last summer when I tried.

that can do it too generally want to keep things in a place below 80.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

DoubleDonut posted:

anybody got any cool ways to char peppers without a gas stove or a grill?

when i make salsa verde and don't have access to a grill, i just put the broiler on in my oven and put the rack close to it and char my peppers and tomatillos and stuff that way

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

anybody got any cool ways to char peppers without a gas stove or a grill?

Get yourself one of these babies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chushkopek

But yeah more realistically the broiler is a good idea.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that can do it too generally want to keep things in a place below 80.

i'll let this summers batch ferment in the cellar and report back o7

Almighty Ken
Nov 5, 2006

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
speaking of butt rubs, made carnitas today. will put together some red rice, refried beans, and pickled red onion/jalapenos tomorrow for burritos. can't hardly wait.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

hosed around and made some lamb/bacon gyro loaf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

discussing things to cook with a relatively new roommate a few days ago and i broached the subject: do you, uh, like meatloaf?

and we nailed it last night. meatloaf rules

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i say swears online posted:

discussing things to cook with a relatively new roommate a few days ago and i broached the subject: do you, uh, like meatloaf?

Alton Brown’s meatloaf recipe is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i do the serious eats technique for meatloaf

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a quesadilla for lunch. sprinkled some cumin oregano and a little bit of hot sauce on the cheese. perfect.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Now take that basic meatloaf recipe, toss some crackers, milk and Parmesan in it, and make about 24 drop meatballs (so named because you just drop them into the sauce).

The sauce is basically a dozen smashed cloves of garlic, olive oil, crushed red peppers and two 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes.

Heat the sauce in a Dutch oven, drop the meatballs in, and finish covered in a hot oven for like 45min. Add fresh basil before serving.

you get spaghetti and meatballs for a crowd and meatball subs for a couple days.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my dad always put a can of chili into his loaf. there are worse ways to go

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Voice of Labor posted:

my dad always put a can of chili into his loaf. there are worse ways to go

the sodium got him?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I made J Kenji Lopez Alt's wings but I air fried them instead of baking them and they came out incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh2AXh1eRmE

Coating them in salt/baking powder/corn starch the night before really does lead to super crispy skin, would highly recommend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

baking powder + convection oven or air fryer makes great wings

but oh my god are they overpriced. most restaurants around here charge $1 per when i could get $.25 wings anywhere a decade ago. grocery stores are like $3.99/lb or so here

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

one of my favorite things to do lately is to make a sandwich or a gyro and then double wrap it in foil and parchment paper before I cut it with a bread knife.

basically I like eating at a food truck at home.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've made funnel cake before, just for myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

baking powder + convection oven or air fryer makes great wings

but oh my god are they overpriced. most restaurants around here charge $1 per when i could get $.25 wings anywhere a decade ago. grocery stores are like $3.99/lb or so here

Rich people 'discovering' poor people food is a plague. I used to make my own stocks before the whole foods crowd discovered "bone broth". Last time I was in the states bones were more expensive than some steak cuts.