Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I intentionally didn't say what type of shower it would be, i just don't necessarily want 2 sides of it to be 'open', just one side.

I suppose it could be the full width of the bathroom, it just felt like maybe a good spot for storage for towels.

I've never been a fan of glass shower doors honestly, will likely still keep a curtain. I'm just being practical as I know I wont squeegee it on the reg, so the less glass the better. Which i suppose could mean half-width glass, like some hotel, but idk how practical those are in homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Alternate opinion, if this is a diy job then stick with the pre-made fibereglass pan, and maybe use that dead space for linen storage.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Well yeah if it's DIY, doing the prefab shower pan plus linen closet to fill in the awkward gap is probably the way to go. Definitely don't limit yourself to the likes of Home Depot when picking out components/materials though.

Also I guess my bias against shower curtains for shower-only setups is showing. If there's not a bathtub, then I find some plates of glass way preferable to a shower curtain because you can just wipe them down to clean them, whereas a shower curtain is annoying to clean or detach/launder/reattach, then the liner gets gunked up and also needs cleaning/periodic replacement.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

NomNomNom posted:

Alternate opinion, if this is a diy job then stick with the pre-made fibereglass pan, and maybe use that dead space for linen storage.

This is basically what my initial thoughts were, and buying a premade bottom/pan thing to save myself trouble of figuring out how to make a waterproof floor. Then the walls could *either* be new studs and tile (on that 'linnen' side) or some sort of menards/home depot surround that came with the pan.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I was tempted to go prefab for the walls of my shower but ultimately went with tile. The prefab panels I could find felt super cheap and had to be glued to the walls with construction adhesive.

I'd also say to go glass for the outer walls and opening, it's much more "luxurious" than a curtain. You still need to wash a curtain regularly, vs squeegee everyday.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How are you going to keep the plumbing where it is if you are doing a shower/tub to shower conversion? I considered this briefly, but I was quoted about 5k to put in a new tub using the same plumbing (and then remove the surround, and tile the wall), and several thousand more to convert to a walk-in shower. The main reason for the increase they said is that the plumbing will have to be redone - presumably the drain will be in the middle, instead of at one end.

I ended up just having the fiberglass refinished in a white acrylic instead, which was a hell of an improvement

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 21, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For the record, I’m super jealous of all of you who can actually rearrange their bathroom, and don’t have plumbing that goes directly into the slab.

gently caress Florida, is what I’m saying.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

How are you going to keep the plumbing where it is if you are doing a shower/tub to shower conversion? I considered this briefly, but I was quoted about 5k to put in a new tub using the same plumbing (and then remove the surround, and tile the wall), and several thousand more to convert to a walk-in shower. The main reason for the increase they said is that the plumbing will have to be redone - presumably the drain will be in the middle, instead of at one end.

From what I can see, there are center drain and closer to side drain bottom pans, so I'd just get one that lines up closer to what I have now. At least that's the thought.

I neglected to mention that this is above a finished drywall ceiling so there's no way I want to have to open up the underside for anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

From what I can see, there are center drain and closer to side drain bottom pans, so I'd just get one that lines up closer to what I have now. At least that's the thought.

I neglected to mention that this is above a finished drywall ceiling so there's no way I want to have to open up the underside for anything.

are you doing this yourself? if not have you gotten a price estimate?

the other nice thing about using glass vs. a curtain is that it will make the room seem bigger.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shower curtains are scary and gross

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

peanut posted:

Shower curtains are scary and gross

We started buying cloth shower curtains, which can be laundered. They seem much less gross to me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a bathroom roughed in that's exactly the same layout as their's and I'm totally going to do a curb with a shower curtain because a $3k-$5k glass wall and door isn't in my DIY future-previous-owner budget. The next folks can spring for one as an easy upgrade if they want heh.

I got lucky as the drain rough is centered in the slab instead of roughed for a tub, though.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I bought a shower pan and coordinating glass door set. Cost $700 for the glass, $130 for the pan. Was pretty easy to install.

Edit: that pic is from a leak test, which explains the towel. Caulking is hard. Clear caulking glass is even harder.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

We started buying cloth shower curtains, which can be laundered. They seem much less gross to me.

Plastic kinds can be washed too, just be sure to not use hot water, and to air dry them

You’re crazy if you don't occasionally wash your shower curtain!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am about to own a house with a gas furnace, but I have never lived in a cold climate until now. How do I furnace? Is it basically like an AC system but for distributing heat? What should I do in terms of maintenance?

I have some interest in installing a heat pump, I read that that's a nice efficiency option for mild months, and then you can run it in reverse for cooling in the summer. Is there any issue with using the same vents as the furnace? Can they work in a coordinated fashion, the furnace only kicking in when things are very cold?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

I bought a shower pan and coordinating glass door set. Cost $700 for the glass, $130 for the pan. Was pretty easy to install.

Edit: that pic is from a leak test, which explains the towel. Caulking is hard. Clear caulking glass is even harder.

Where did you find these? I need a full 60" long setup but the places I looked before were no where near those prices, even for lovely acrylic big box setups.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

cruft posted:

Use a clear shower liner in addition to a cloth shower curtain.

Clear part goes on the inside.

Curtain goes on the outside.

idk how long it took me to realize this, but I felt like an idiot when I did and now it bothers me when people don't do this.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
From home depot. They're both from Dreamline. They have three tiers of glass, from totally framed to frameless. Frameless is the hardest to install because your walls and floor have to be flat and square (mine were just barely within spec and it was kind of a bear)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Use a clear shower liner in addition to a cloth shower curtain.

Clear part goes on the inside.

Curtain goes on the outside.

idk how long it took me to realize this, but I felt like an idiot when I did and now it bothers me when people don't do this.

Naw, we just have the cloth one and it's fine. Just like in the hotels.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I am about to own a house with a gas furnace, but I have never lived in a cold climate until now. How do I furnace? Is it basically like an AC system but for distributing heat? What should I do in terms of maintenance?

I have some interest in installing a heat pump, I read that that's a nice efficiency option for mild months, and then you can run it in reverse for cooling in the summer. Is there any issue with using the same vents as the furnace? Can they work in a coordinated fashion, the furnace only kicking in when things are very cold?

I would recommend getting in the habit of having it serviced yearly. I try to do it late fall. Annual service is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than mid winter emergency. Your furnace never blows on a 60 degree day.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get it looked at and serviced by a trusted company.

Replace the humidifier pad every fall, replace your filter on the regular. I buy like a 6 pack and occasionally walk by and check it to see how dirty it is and replace if needed.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Planning ahead for next year and I had a question about dealing with drainage on my property.

My property has some substantial drainage issues at the moment that low precipitation is helping us to avoid dealing with. We'd have no drainage issues at all if it wasn't for a levee that runs through the property. It is very old and we own it. Near as I can tell, it was probably built as part of a public works project with the permission of the previous owner. I don't see any evidence on the property of a flood ever reaching anywhere near that high on the property, and some of the historical worst in the area have happened since the house was built. During average flows, our house sits about 21 feet above the river and maybe 200 feet back from the bank.

Anyway, it's big ridge that runs the length of the property and runs parallel to the house. From the plane the house sits on, it rises about a foot and then drops 4-5 feet on the other side (from which it slowly declines towards the riverbank and then drops sharply another ten or so feet to the water). Because of the levee, the house is basically sitting in a very shallow bowl and water pools significantly on the driveway and near the foundation during heavy rain. If I could put some drain pipes through the levee then that would mostly solve the problem.

Is this a terrible idea? Flash floods aren't really a concern so I'm thinking putting some drainage pipes in will help with drainage 99% of the time, and if/when the monster flood is forecast, I can pump the pipes full of cement to seal them up.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

From home depot. They're both from Dreamline. They have three tiers of glass, from totally framed to frameless. Frameless is the hardest to install because your walls and floor have to be flat and square (mine were just barely within spec and it was kind of a bear)

Jolly good! I'll go check Home Depot's prices. After subway-tiling a full bathtub/shower surround all the way up to the ceiling I'd be fine with some decent-ish quality prefab stuff for this basement bathroom.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just another posted:

Planning ahead for next year and I had a question about dealing with drainage on my property.

My property has some substantial drainage issues at the moment that low precipitation is helping us to avoid dealing with. We'd have no drainage issues at all if it wasn't for a levee that runs through the property. It is very old and we own it. Near as I can tell, it was probably built as part of a public works project with the permission of the previous owner. I don't see any evidence on the property of a flood ever reaching anywhere near that high on the property, and some of the historical worst in the area have happened since the house was built. During average flows, our house sits about 21 feet above the river and maybe 200 feet back from the bank.

Anyway, it's big ridge that runs the length of the property and runs parallel to the house. From the plane the house sits on, it rises about a foot and then drops 4-5 feet on the other side (from which it slowly declines towards the riverbank and then drops sharply another ten or so feet to the water). Because of the levee, the house is basically sitting in a very shallow bowl and water pools significantly on the driveway and near the foundation during heavy rain. If I could put some drain pipes through the levee then that would mostly solve the problem.

Is this a terrible idea? Flash floods aren't really a concern so I'm thinking putting some drainage pipes in will help with drainage 99% of the time, and if/when the monster flood is forecast, I can pump the pipes full of cement to seal them up.

From what you describe it sounds like you have other drainage issues that the pipe wouldn't fix on its own. First you need to get the problematic areas of your yard draining toward the embankment, which may be enough to fix the problem

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Grading work definitely needs to be done in spots. For some spots though like the driveway I'll need a storm drain or catch basin or similar, and there isn't enough of an elevation change to have it discharge on the house side.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

falz posted:

Hey kids I'm going to remodel a bathroom this winter. I'm going to leave all plumbing where it currently is, but replace the 'builder grade' one piece shower/tub combo with a dedicated shower. This is upstairs, there's a tub on main level so that should be fine for old people or whatever.

Anyhow, my reason for this is my last place had a dedicated shower and it was great, mainly because it's wider. So I'm thinking something at least 32" wide (current tub is 29") and probably slightly longer, like 42" or something which seems common....

You can get a shower pan that fits into the footprint of a bathtub.

That bathroom is the exact layout and appears to be very close in dimensions to a Philadelphia rowhome.

QuarkJets posted:

I am about to own a house with a gas furnace, but I have never lived in a cold climate until now. How do I furnace? Is it basically like an AC system but for distributing heat? What should I do in terms of maintenance?...

Probably. The A-coil for the A/C is usually stacked on top of the furnace, and the hot air passes through it. In the summer, only the A-coil gets chilled. Some homes have a separate A/C air handler in the attic space.

- Change the filter at least once a month.

- Remove the panel into the air handler below where the furnace flamey bits are (usually the lower one) and vacuum out the space annually.

- Keep an eye on the condensate (A/C captured water) drainage. You may have to periodically remove the panel on the A-coil box and clean the condensate pan out. Make sure the drain line doesn't become occluded or clogged. If the condensate escapes the system, it can flood your basement fairly quickly in the summertime.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 22, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have one way privacy window tint in their house? If so, how well does it work and do you like it? We have first floor windows everywhere, but like the natural light so don't want to block with curtains everywhere. We also have a lot of angles which would make curtains cumbersome, and window tint was one thing I thought of trying. Right now we're using birthday wrapping paper until we decide what to do:

Is there a better solution I'm not thinking of?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PageMaster posted:

Is there a better solution I'm not thinking of?

blinds?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

blinds?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had the static cling kind. Not too hard to apply and it did a fantastic job of staying up for like 10 years. However, even the clear kinds block more light than you might expect.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Blinds, Plantation Shutters, Hunter Douglas makes some roll down privacy sheers. External solar screens.

I've always been told not to put any sort of film on the windows. It can cause issues with modern sealed low-e type windows.

Birthday wrapping paper? :psyduck:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Aluminum foil is the tried and true method. As a bonus it will also block the CIA mind control gamma ray beams too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ahahaha the wrapping paper

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Should have wrote that blinds and plantation shutters were turned down because wife thought they made the house too dark; I may be able to find some that don't block as much? Good to know if there are issues that window films can cause though

Also yes, wrapping paper. We just moved and and had our household goods dropped off so I just put up whatever we had in there for the moment until we bought something so I don't have to lock eyes with everyone walking by...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Should have wrote that blinds and plantation shutters were turned down because wife thought they made the house too dark; I may be able to find some that don't block as much? Good to know if there are issues that window films can cause though

Also yes, wrapping paper. We just moved and and had our household goods dropped off so I just put up whatever we had in there for the moment until we bought something so I don't have to lock eyes with everyone walking by...

You can get fancy blinds that bunch up into a little strip at the top of the window when you pull a string. Practically no impact on the amount of light coming in.

I think they were invented in Venice.

e: if you think blinds are going to make things too dark, applying a foil is probably going to make things too dark as well.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

PageMaster posted:

you’re looking for sheer curtains or sheer shades

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 23, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I got some white cellular shades from SelectBlinds recently and they diffuse the sunlight like crazy. It's like having big soft boxes.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

You can even get relatively inexpensive ones through Bed, Bath, and Beyond that aren't bad. I have both blackout blinds and translucent ones up in my bedroom so I can get either darkness or just privacy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We'll probably do translucent cellular shades in every room and then blackout curtains over those for the bedrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

hypnophant posted:

you’re looking for sheer curtains or sheer shades

I had these as the only means of blocking light in my bedroom growing up and hated it so much. I am so glad I don't live there anymore