Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

yes, and this is a skill you’re going to have to develop to make your way in the world

it can be exhausting, believe me, but you need to be able to do it when necessary, even if it’s necessary more often than you might like

just to add as an addendum

when i was younger (pre 20s) i was also very much a quiet communicator, preferred writing etc but learned to have to adapt to it being necessary

socializing/communicating is a skill, a VERY important one

as it is a skill the way you get better at it is by DOING it. it was agonizing and awkward (“cringe”) but i got it eventually

youre cant avoid this as
much as you (or me back then) want to, so its better to dive in and make mistakes and figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had a weird shut in nerd friend that got a lot better by reading pick up artist crap. somehow he didnt seem to fall into the worst elements of it and he basically just came out on the other side as a relatively normal dude who was no longer afraid to talk to strangers? :shrug:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stringent posted:

japanese style bathrooms are so awesome, i honestly don't understand why they haven't become the de facto standard around the world

hell yeah

it loving sucked when Hotel Kabuki or whatever it’s called now in SF Japantown renovated all their bathrooms and got rid of most of the Japanese baths

when we renovate our bathroom we’re going all-in on Japanese style, at least we already have a separate water closet so we won’t have to build that out

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

fart simpson posted:

i had a weird shut in nerd friend that got a lot better by reading pick up artist crap. somehow he didnt seem to fall into the worst elements of it and he basically just came out on the other side as a relatively normal dude who was no longer afraid to talk to strangers? :shrug:

don’t repeat this suggestion again hth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its not a suggestion

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
hbag is currenty knee deep in pua manuals, thanks a lot fart simpson

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

that’s cool. i use one.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I went to a shrink and got put on medication and poo poo and it wasn't working, so I got put on disability for the rest of my life, and it's a quiet little life

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if I didn't live in a country where that was an option I'd be a crazy homeless person and\or in jail

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i wonder how you're gonna feel when you're like 50. "drat i've done loving nothing with my life huh"

i mean that's how the rest of us in this forum feel too, but at least we have some figgies

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm pushing 50 and i don't feel that way at all

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i wonder how you're gonna feel when you're like 50. "drat i've done loving nothing with my life huh"

I'm pushing 40 and I'm a horrible goblin but I have friends and family

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't have anything to _show_ for my adult life, but i've had an interesting and fairly rewarding time. I live in absolute comfort and want for nothing but a house to call my own, which I may be able to get into and enjoy a few years in on the tail end.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't have anything to _show_ for my adult life

what about those lunches you made the other day

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

what about those lunches you made the other day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You know what i mean. Nobody's gonna have to yell at each other in court over anything I leave behind. I have no real footprint as far as normal white tech people usually have by my age.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'd yell at somebody in court to get one of them lunches

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the meaning of life is always internal and relative

but also dont be a dick

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stringent posted:

i'd yell at somebody in court to get one of them lunches

:same:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i sleep in a big bed with my life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hooo boy that was a lotta hbag posts to scroll through. just open each new page and hold [spacebar] zoooooooooommm

i saw these two though so i'll respond

hbag posted:

i make like $30 a month on patreon which i guess is better than nothing but still

do you produce stuff in exchange for this or is it just kinda e-allowance

hbag posted:

i dont want to have to explain to my therapist what a "debian" is

i have explained to my therapist what the something is awful forums are. she said it sounded like the WELL. close enough

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i have explained to my therapist what the something is awful forums are. she said it sounded like the WELL. close enough

i mean, yeah, it's closer to that than it is reddit or instagram, i reckon.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

I love talking to people, except the part where covid-19 turned everyone into murderous toddlers

other than that I miss people

(I'll never be able to talk to people again lol)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I love talking to people, except the part where covid-19 turned everyone into murderous toddlers

other than that I miss people

(I'll never be able to talk to people again lol)

if your ever in this part of the world (lol) ill buy you a beer tori

Apr 7, 2003

I grew up in a huge family and that probably influenced me, but I feel weird about talking to people who are afraid to talk to people. like, that's your purpose. You're a social creature. Without other human beings around you, you cease to exist meaningfully.

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

if your ever in this part of the world (lol) ill buy you a beer tori

No one like me will ever be permitted into a sane place like China ever again, I missed my chance to travel internationally. lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, yeah, it's closer to that than it is reddit or instagram, i reckon.

it's got a variety of boards on quirky topics with dedicated regulars, the userbase is relatively small and people "know" each other, and you can get booted for not playing by the rules. if it had more forums about 1970s hippie poo poo and real names SA would pretty much be the WELL.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i can't say for sure, but i bet i get more satisfaction out of making a dinner my picky rear end daughter enjoys eating than bezos got out of his bullshit space ride

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

No one like me will ever be permitted into a sane place like China ever again, I missed my chance to travel internationally. lol

you can still go to canada. it's literally within biking distance for you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what’s the well? ive never heard of it

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you can still go to canada. it's literally within biking distance for you

I'm in the middle of getting my passport and I have to get a notarized affidavit that I'm a real breathing American citizen from an older blood relative because my birth certificate is provisional.

I have exactly one of those left and she and I aren't on speaking terms so I'm negotiating through my brother.

Good poo poo.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
americans stay out of canada you've already done your damage

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stringent posted:

i can't say for sure, but i bet i get more satisfaction out of making a dinner my picky rear end daughter enjoys eating than bezos got out of his bullshit space ride

gently caress yeah, best feeling ever is when the boy asks for "daddy's special curry"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
tori that seems like something you should have done, uh, decades ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's where you piss

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

poo poo man, send the form my way. “yeah I’m tori’s cousin or we”

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

like i don't know what a provisional birth certificate is, but presumably it has been that way since... you were born?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

might be one of the fancy looking ones that aren’t actually a recorded document

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

like what you get with cabbage patch dolls and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't have a passport and I'm on disability and so many watch lists I don't even know

I had to get into the scanning machine and stand there while all my bags get scanned and I was just going to nova scotia