Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

A buddy and I have processed several deer in my garage and I did one on my own last year. neither one of us had done it before and had no idea what we were doing beyond a basic understanding of food safety. It's really not that hard at all once you get over being squeamish about it all.

A guy I worked with back in 1999 or so did part time deer processing in a property his dad left him

He made enough from deer season work to pay for two nascar race vacations a year and his main job paid another $45K on top of that, which was a huge amount of money in rural PA back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Aardvark! posted:

i for one always order my gravy "skin on"

I'd kill for a sprecher root beer right now

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A guy I worked with back in 1999 or so did part time deer processing in a property his dad left him

He made enough from deer season work to pay for two nascar race vacations a year and his main job paid another $45K on top of that, which was a huge amount of money in rural PA back then.

And it’s only seasonal! I’ve got a dream of getting a food truck and gutting it so it’s nothing but stainless steel sinks and countertops and one fuckoff big meat grinder and doing on site butchering at deer and elk camps during seasons. I do a little bit of butchering for friends every year and usually take home some meat in exchange, it’s a pretty good deal.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

More Farmington, Maine:

The Narrow Gauge Cinema, the new movie theatre in town. Built as a four screen multiplex, a fifth was added after a couple years. Most are small and basic, but one is large and fancifully decorated. They save that for fancy films. I don't go to many movies, but I saw The Artist there. Seen here from up in front of the old train station, which is higher, to get a view of Mount Blue in the distance. The mountain is actually in Weld, but we consider it ours. Lots of stuff named after it. One of the highest peaks in New England! #49 on a list of 50, but it still counts!

The Narrow Gauge Drive-In. Like the cinema itself, it takes its name from the Sandy River and Rangely Lakes narrow gauge railroad. Predates COVID, if you can believe it, but it was the Narrow Gauge's primary business before indoor cinemas were allowed to re-open. To the left is the Big Sky Grill. To the right is an optometrist. Theatre ahead. We're on the intervale, of course, so flooding is an issue. (The Internet tells me the word "intervale" is unknown outside of New England. A low-lying tract of land by a river. Think "floodplain" -- the terms aren't dissimilar. Although why you don't have a very simple word like intervale, I don't know. It's like when I learned you call elastics "rubber bands". Madness.)

The back of the screen. I'd estimate it was sixty feet wide. The platform in front is a stage, recently built, for live performances. Bob Marley (the living Mainer comedian and UMF alumnus, not the dead Jamaican singer) has been there more than once.

The bed of the old Sandy River and Rangely Lakes spur that ran to the station. Now it terminates at the river. The bridge, were it there, would allow one to hike all the way to Jay on the Whistlestop Trail, but it washed away in the thaw of 1996. They've been trying to rebuild it exactly as it was ever since, but the cost would be nearly a million dollars and they've never been able to raise it. Since COVID, a lot of city people from NYC and Boston have moved to the area (people "from away" to use the nomenclature) since COVID doesn't really exist here and not all of them have places to live lined up. Some are camped by the river. I do hope they realize that, come winter, that isn't going to be an option. As it is, starting in West Farmington across the river, the Whistlestop Trail is a popular means of reaching Walmart while avoiding the very busy Routes 2 & 4. There are paths all over avoiding the roads, if you know about them.

Last known photo of the bridge.

The art gallery, in the commons of the university behind Preble and Ricker. In the distance is the steeple of the Congregational Church. The Congregationalists are the descendants of the Puritans and are concentrated mostly in New England.

The Abbotts had unusual tastes and a great deal of money. This is one of a number of scale-replica Venetian bridges over Beaver Brook built by Abbott

Mary Jane's Slice of Heaven, something of a pizzeria, something more of a bar. I don't find their pizzas to be all that good, although they make a decent vegetarian poutine. Needs more curds, but you can request them.

There's, like, no pictures of their food or people eating it online. I'm going to have to order something from them, aren't I?

Ortho fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 27, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sad I didn't get to go to Oshkosh this year and last, thanks to covid and tons of work. My parents flew in two years ago and camped next to their plane and had a lot of fun. It's a good chance to visit with them since I live a couple of miles away, and they need me to bring camping stuff anyway. Tons of people as you can imagine and lots of neat planes to see that are operational. I saw the Blue Angels there for the first time when I was 5 or 6. Still remember laying on top of the RV and having the poo poo scared out of me when they did their sneak pass.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hey Aardvark, do you take requests for noncontiguous states? If so, I nominate ##Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska and ##Kauaʻi County, Hawai'i.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

As a dirty european, the square layout of some parts of rural America has always disturbed me.
Cant exactly put my finger on it, but every road being straight on this scale just feels incredibly weird to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

As a dirty european, the square layout of some parts of rural America has always disturbed me.
Cant exactly put my finger on it, but every road being straight on this scale just feels incredibly weird to me.

It's all flat as a sheet of paper, why wouldn't you divide it up this way after you genocided the original inhabitants?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

try driving through some of those places, you'll wish the roads were straighter and faster so you could get out of there.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Looks beautiful to me, mostly because I don’t see any hog lagoons though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
America is just a series of squares.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LifeSunDeath posted:

try driving through some of those places, you'll wish the roads were straighter and faster so you could get out of there.

Until you get hit at an intersection because the corn is up.

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, anything west or south of Pennsylvania makes me feel sick.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
North America is famous for people going insane due to lack of any geography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_madness

Apr 7, 2003

Grids can gently caress off

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

North America is famous for people going insane due to lack of any geography:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_madness
You can't blame the geography here because you may have noticed prairie madness went away with the precipitation of coherent, connected communities around rail stations connecting socially isolated homesteads and not because of an earth shattering event that made the plains suddenly have more geography.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Grids can gently caress off

Lol get on Boston’s level

Apr 7, 2003

good normal organic intersection growth.

grids are unnatural.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

You must like the roads in Maine that are just built over ox cart trails.

You're coming from the north. Try to guess which road you should stay on at the crossroads:

Or here in Farmington, where one of the street names changes whether you're going north or south

Ortho fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 24, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

tag yourself

i'm

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

These look like a stroke patient trying to write in Japanese.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

thats it for sheboygan folks its time for

Winnebago County, Wisconsin

Pop 171,631
Area 579 sq mi
Density 290/sq mi

Why does your maps lable every country club and golf course. Not complaining just wondering

Also: Lake Death Butt

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

Also: Lake Death Butt
turn on your monitor

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey, I'll have you know Lake "Beau as in 'beautiful' deh more", or the "Hill of Death" has a very nice bridge and good fishing opportunities on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's clearly runes to send travelers in the wrong direction.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Line those up on a sheet of paper and my ignorant rear end wouldn't think twice.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

My butthole doesn’t look like any of these, is this just for people in Boston?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Waterbed Wendy posted:

My butthole doesn’t look like any of these,

lemme check

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pretty forward of you, but I do want to get to the bottom of this so check your pms

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

euphronius posted:

Why does your maps lable every country club and golf course. Not complaining just wondering

i started using the same site for consistency on the maps because i wanted it to show both location in state and state within country in one image for our foreign friends. then it turned out the website itself is wildly inconsistent. the counties around seattle are fully interactive, for example, or the level of detail in Winnebago, and then you get something like this:

i find it kind of endearing. you can pay them for "Custom Mapping" and they advertise it everywhere, maybe somebody paid for their county? no idea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Southern counties are so small, its really bizarre.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I am Desaix Circle.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dementropy posted:

I am Desaix Circle.

wendy i think i see your butthole on this one!!!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

wendy i think i see your butthole on this one!!!

Mm yup, mlk and claborn. That’s her alright

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A Butthole Named MLK and Claiborne was entertaining but I didn't think A Streetcar Named Desire needed a sequel.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m Bourbon and St Ann

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m Bourbon and St Ann

You're lucky I brought my phillips-head butt plug

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

You're lucky I brought my phillips-head butt plug

Canadians are tripping over themselves to profess the superiority of the Robertson-head butt plug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m Bourbon and St Ann

Classic pooper right there