Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

just had an itch to replay shogun 2, any good/essential mods to check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Look for a bug fix pack at the very least

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have Metsuke be able to bribe armies in Shogun 2 deserved to get fired.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Whorelord posted:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have Metsuke be able to bribe armies in Shogun 2 deserved to get fired.

Metsuke are definitely super powerful, and the agent battles in Shogun 2 are frequently decisive. I've generally found that speccing my agents and generals to fend off other agents is generally the most reliable path. Any opportunity to improve their odds against other agents should be taken, and if you have the cash then killing enemy agents before they can rank up is always worthwhile.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm back on my Divide et Impera bullshit, the latest beta patch fixes the battle lag, apparently it was to do with active abiltiies or something? so now you get much better fps in big battles. i just figured it was cause the unit quality and variety is cranked right up.

pretty much all the greeks and their successors and colonies have got even more updates and generally the team still seem to be bashing away, theres UI improvements so you can actually see your population classes easily now

the battle AI is surprisingly good, it holds forces in reserve and will withdraw excess troops from a melee in order to secure a flank you're coming around. its better than in pretty much any of the main games apart from some weird behaviour when its encamped

shame that horse archer and shock cav dominance has ended, now its back to phalanx and elephants

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 14, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Metsuke are definitely super powerful, and the agent battles in Shogun 2 are frequently decisive. I've generally found that speccing my agents and generals to fend off other agents is generally the most reliable path. Any opportunity to improve their odds against other agents should be taken, and if you have the cash then killing enemy agents before they can rank up is always worthwhile.

I definitely prefer 3K approach with spies to the old agent system because the problem agents always had is there is a hard limit on how many each faction is allowed to have, but since the typical arc of a TW game is to end up at war with everybody else, there always ends up being way more enemy agents to harass you than you have agents to counter them. Shogun 2 I feel like still has the best combat balance of any of the historical TW games (not just in the sense that everybody has basically the same units, but how all the different unit types play off each other and you can come up with radically different army comps using that shared pool of units that are all viable), but the strategy map gameplay really does show its age.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I definitely prefer 3K approach with spies to the old agent system because the problem agents always had is there is a hard limit on how many each faction is allowed to have, but since the typical arc of a TW game is to end up at war with everybody else, there always ends up being way more enemy agents to harass you than you have agents to counter them. Shogun 2 I feel like still has the best combat balance of any of the historical TW games (not just in the sense that everybody has basically the same units, but how all the different unit types play off each other and you can come up with radically different army comps using that shared pool of units that are all viable), but the strategy map gameplay really does show its age.

Yeah I keep meaning to pick up 3K, but it certainly sounds like the agent system is a big improvement.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda wish they'd gone a completely different mythological route with Troy. Larger than life heroes and divine intervention are what the Iliad was about, not minotaurs smacking down the gates of Troy. Mythological creatures show up in bit parts in the Odyssey. I'd rather they lean into more appropriate homeric stuff than Percy Jackson meets Warhammer.

A bronze age game more like Rome where it's grounded history but exaggerated, or a full-on Age of Mythology brawl where centaurs invade Jotunheim: I'd love either. Troy this way is just the worst of both worlds.

Kinda the same reason I prefer Records to Romance in 3K. The only good character design is that they throw shade in battle. Otherwise it's just Very Boring Warhammer where you run in and spam abilities while the guy tanks and slowly murders. I wanted spells (again, ideally themed off of how magic works in the story, not Zhuge Liang casting Wind Blast copy-pasted from Warhammer), I wanted Guan Yu swinging the Green Dragon Crescent Blade and sending fifteen dudes ragdolling like Sauron in the LotR movie opening. The characters are just bland and bad for gameplay as is.

I know this is unpopular and loads of people want/wanted straight up dragons breathing fire on people for 3K Romance mode. But that's just... not R3K.

Warhammer stuff specifically works for Warhammer. Be more creative for the rest.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 16, 2021

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

Yeah I keep meaning to pick up 3K, but it certainly sounds like the agent system is a big improvement.

The big improvement is the removal of the agent system :v:

Warhammers make agents useful as battlefield hero characters was a nice improvement, but 3k's just remove them solution is even better - especially as I never need to interact with the spy system at all!

Though I do miss the days of using agents to ferment rebellions and then attacking the rebels for taking things without starting a war.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why does Paris of Troy have a bear symbol?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Sounds like another reason to separate the historical and mythical side of things.

They should have just gotten rid of the middle option imho. But I guess it's there for legal reasons. I'm sure there's at least one person who would likes the fence-sitting "it's mythical but not really" mode.

I really welcome this release as I would far rather play the non-mythical side. It's a paid expansion pack - does anyone know if we will get a free update and a choice between the full-realism and semi-mythical choices for the base game? Or do you need to buy the Mythos pack to access the fully non-mythical stuff?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda wish they'd gone a completely different mythological route with Troy. Larger than life heroes and divine intervention are what the Iliad was about, not minotaurs smacking down the gates of Troy. Mythological creatures show up in bit parts in the Odyssey. I'd rather they lean into more appropriate homeric stuff than Percy Jackson meets Warhammer.

Can't agree with this enough. Minotaurs and Harpies have eff-all to do with the Trojan War. No idea why they insisted on shoe-horning them in really. A surprise as so many of the faction mechanics like Achilles' rage were so well done.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder if the boneheads making it realise there's a difference or just too busy huffing TW Warhammer to look.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow this took a bizarrely hostile turn. The Illiad and Odyssey and frankly all later Greek mythology are essentially a merged entity in modern culture and there's nothing weird whatsoever about them sticking it all in what's likely to be the only ever Ancient Greek game about the most famous event in Ancient Greek history. Maybe it's not a 1:1 recreation of the Illiad but I expect the people with an understanding of what that even would be are vanishingly few.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Don’t see the problem, there’s 3 modes, play the one you want?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A bronze age game more like Rome where it's grounded history but exaggerated, or a full-on Age of Mythology brawl where centaurs invade Jotunheim: I'd love either. Troy this way is just the worst of both worlds.

That's literally the first version of the game?

Masses of soldiers being led by legendary heroes whose success depends a lot on the sacrifices and tribute they give to the gods before battle.

If this game sells well, maybe we'll get an age of mythology sort of sequel, which i'd love. But Troy had a solid initial version and now has three decent ones to fit anyone's taste.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

But Troy had a solid initial version and now has three decent ones to fit anyone's taste.
Except part of why I'm not buying it is because it seems like they dont know what they want to do with the game; with three options like they now offer for "pure historical", "truth behind the myth", and "full myth" I dont trust any of them to be done well.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

As long as they support each one it's fine, but records mode from 3 Kingdoms doesn't exactly put them in good light.

I did start playing a bit more Troy and there's quite a few bits of it I do like and I hope they keep in future systems.

Koramei posted:

Wow this took a bizarrely hostile turn. The Illiad and Odyssey and frankly all later Greek mythology are essentially a merged entity in modern culture and there's nothing weird whatsoever about them sticking it all in what's likely to be the only ever Ancient Greek game about the most famous event in Ancient Greek history. Maybe it's not a 1:1 recreation of the Illiad but I expect the people with an understanding of what that even would be are vanishingly few.
Ah that was me grumpy posting when I couldn't sleep, but I do kinda feel like some Warhammer things are holding other parts back.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 24, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Records mode was the superior mode for me, but it wasn't really supported no

I didn't see, do I get this update on EGS for free if I have it on there already?
If so I'll just give all the modes a go at some point and see which sticks, which is what happened to me and Records.

I just loved those HQ cavalry units with all the skill buffs. The unit size scales with the green stat so they can get massive.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 24, 2021

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Koramei posted:

Sorry if it came off as hostile or angry, I just enjoy nitpicking about this kind of thing. I'm not sure that they are completely merged though, even if someone doesn't know the Iliad well, they would associate the Trojan War with heroes and maybe overlooking gods, not with a bevy of monsters.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I didn't see, do I get this update on EGS for free if I have it on there already?

This was my question as well, I bestirred myself to google and found the FAQ articles on the TW blog. Yes, there will be a free update at the same time as the DLC release (2 Sep 21) which will make historical mode available to all owners of the game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Odyssey is the one with all the monsters and its basically a direct sequel to the Illiad

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How is troy total war? I'm finally all warhammered out and have been thinking of trying out shogun 2 again. It seems like a lot of people have been getting into it and I've been looking at mods for it to revitalize it.

Edit: I see this has been asked recently. Instead I'll ask what's better, a massive rice surplus of 30ish? Or upgrading my markets. I've been toying with trying to get every single town growth upgrade possible to become super rich but it seems I should focus on military tech more.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Krataar posted:

How is troy total war? I'm finally all warhammered out and have been thinking of trying out shogun 2 again. It seems like a lot of people have been getting into it and I've been looking at mods for it to revitalize it.

Edit: I see this has been asked recently. Instead I'll ask what's better, a massive rice surplus of 30ish? Or upgrading my markets. I've been toying with trying to get every single town growth upgrade possible to become super rich but it seems I should focus on military tech more.

Depends on your game state, I did a bunch of modelling in my S2 LP here:

Shogun 2 Economic Analysis Part 1 - Overview
Shogun 2 Economic Analysis Part 2 - Farming
Shogun 2 Economic Analysis Part 3 - Markets
Shogun 2 Economic Analysis Part 4 - Other Economic Buildings

The long and the short of it is though, that before about turn 60ish you want to upgrade those markets as hard as you can in Metsuke provinces and in non-Metsuke provinces before ~turn 30. If you capture a fort that's already upgraded your market is free money so slam that in that as hard as you can (Since you can never get the food back, so it's a sunk cost so you may as well get some money for that sunk cost!).

Improved Irrigation is always a priority no matter the fertility, Terrace Farming is worth it if you expect the game to go more than 30 turns and Land Consolidation is a good way to turn money into food but a very poor way to turn money into money needing the game to go more than 50(!) turns before break even.

Growth feels very attractive because it scales into infinity but you don't have infinite turns and it's rear loaded in a game where front end loading lets you get the troops that gets you the land that can improve the value of growth. Better troops means you can conquer more or conquer the same while spending less on upkeep but it's a hidden benefit that feels tricky to quantify while growth = number always goes up feels really nice.

e: The golden rule of Shogun 2 is to always have Metsuke in your 5 richest towns. Always.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 27, 2021

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've played a bit of Troy recently, and I'm enjoying it pretty well. I'll probably get the expansion too, not certain about lord packs, seem like a poor value. First thing I've modded out was limited gold, I didn't enjoy that mechanic playing earlier.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsRSezthK4&t=822s

I really like most of the new mythological units. I think the Cerberus "faction" or whatever is probably the most powerful, considering it gives you a bunch of unbreakable spirit units with some unbreakable chaff, unbreakable heavy armored spearmen, and unbreakable giants in addition to 190 range archers that also do a morale debuff.

Also you can get lion men and stone soldiers from tributes to the gods. poo poo's pretty rad.

Edit:

Ok this poo poo is cool.

Hector is coming for that doggy.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 3, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Wow, they really went full Warhammer

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Do the bonuses you get during expeditions apply only for the battle that unlocks your mythological beast or is it a permanent effect for the hero and units who went on the quest?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Huh it kinda looks like Total War: Dominions to me which I'm frothy for

Now just add the other 40 factions

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Am I understanding right that to buy Troy and play the Mythological campaign I have to buy an extra $25 day-1 DLC (or buy the bundle)?

How do Steam refunds work if I buy the bundle - if I decide I don't like the game do I get to refund the game and the DLC or just the game, since DLC is usually not refundable?

edit: It looks like the DLC would be covered in a refund. I'm tempted but since the mythology stuff is the only part I'm interested in and it's an entire DLC I feel like I should just wait for warhammer 3

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 3, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's weird that their reduced price bundle with Troy + the DLC is still so expensive, based on my experience with the base game on Epic I feel they should be aiming more at $35 - $40 for that and $25 for Troy. Well, they can certainly justify the price for the content but I'm not sure they will attract nearly as many purchases.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Day 1 DLC for a game released a year ago

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've bought it on Epic, downloading right now. I'm not sure which mode I'll play first.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I thought you got the dlc for free if you had it on epic already

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I thought you got the dlc for free if you had it on epic already

You get the update, but not the DLC with the Mythic units.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huh it kinda looks like Total War: Dominions to me which I'm frothy for

Now just add the other 40 factions

I would pay triple digits for this

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Third World Reagan posted:

Day 1 DLC for a game released a year ago

Not an empty quote.

It is a bit sad that this barely had any marketing (hardly any of the Total War influencers are playing it), because it is a very solid Total War title, I wonder if Grace departing CA had an effect on their team. I did enjoy it a year ago as a 7/10 Total War title and the Mythos DLC feels great, enough that I might raise that to an 8 or 9, but do agree with the sentiment that this is the way the game should have been released as.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn't know Grace left. Hope she finds a job where she isn't the face for a legion of angry nerds to hurl vitriol at.

Also Age of Mythology Total War when

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

57$ to buy into it on steam feels really steep...but having mod integration and a better platform still tempts me. Should've been like 40-45 though.

Though what I'd really want is a mod that just combines all the Amazonian units into one faction. That'd get me to buy in, I hate the weird unit split they had.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There will always be a sale.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Glad to see they went full Age of Mythology with it. The original game was very awkwardly positioned. Either embrace the fantastic elements of the setting or play the time period straight. Having these awkwardly unconvincing "truth behind the myth" dudes satisfied nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The mechanic for cerberus is pretty cool. If you use him as an agent, you can go around each turn and siphon souls from enemy armies or cities. I think this probably generates more souls over time than the second option, which is embedding him in an army as a unit. Then you get to use him in battle and afterwards you get an extra option to sacrifice all the surviving enemy soldiers to the underworld, which also generates souls. But it's less consistent than using cerberus as an agent.

Then with the souls you can recruit the underworld shade units, which are all pretty nice.

I'm definitely going to do at least two more playthroughs to see how the other monster paths play like.

Also, totally go for worshiping Hera, as her final tier lets you recruit lion men, who are basically skinwolves from Warhammer. Posidon gets you the Cyclops and a tidal wave spell. Ares gets you marble soldiers, as in they are made of marble. Zeus gets the minotaur, also he grants a lightning spell. It's all pretty cool.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 3, 2021