Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nexus6 posted:

I've got Sonarr and Radarr running on a Windows box that feeds into Plex on a Nvidia Shield as a mounted drive. The thing is, this works fine unless Windows reboots as it is wont to do on its own. I have Sonarr & Radarr starting up automatically at boot but they lose access to the mounted drive, so I have to remote in, shut them down and run them again as administrator. Is there a way I can set this up so I don't have to keep doing this?

(I'm not looking to completely replace this setup over a relatively minor inconvenience)

If you're mounting as smb, you can use a batch file in startup to verify the shares are actually mounted.

Here's a modified version of the batch I use. It will check to make sure Y: is mounted to \\freenas\media, and then launch Radarr. There's a bit that seems duplicated, and I don't really remember why I had to do it this way since I wrote this like 8 years ago. But it works for me.

I guess an important thing here to note is that I don't launch radarr as a service. Ymmv if you do, same thing for Sonarr.

pre:
@echo off
echo * Pausing 30 seconds for system startup.
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1 > nul

rem These 2 lines check to see if the mount and share exist already
if exist \\FreeNAS\media (set YshareExists=1) else (set YshareExists=0)
if exist y:\ (set YdriveExists=1) else (set YdriveExists=0)

rem If share exists but not the mount, mount.
if %YshareExists%==1 if not %YdriveExists%==1 (net use y: \\FreeNAS\media)

rem If share doesn't exist, but mount does, delete the mount.
if %YshareExists%==0 if %YdriveExists%==1 (net use /delete y:)

rem Clear vars
set YdriveExists=
set YshareExists=

rem Check the share and mount again after we may have mounted or deleted.

rem Share exists, mount doesn't, so we have to mount.
if %YshareExists%==1 if not %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * Mounting \\FreeNAS\media)

rem Everything good
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * All mounts found!)

rem Start Radarr
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * Starting Radarr)
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (start "" /d "C:\ProgramData\Radarr\Bin" /i "C:\ProgramData\Radarr\Bin\Radarr.exe" "/icon")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Have you verified whether the drive mappings are working, or not? They've been borked for years and a recent Win 10 update has made them exceptionally unreliable. If they are actually working, it might be easier to delay sonarr/radarr's startup by a couple of minutes; they are probably trying to connect too early in the boot and just sitting in a failed state.
If the drives aren't working, phosdex's solution looks great.

phosdex posted:

There's a bit that seems duplicated, and I don't really remember why I had to do it this way since I wrote this like 8 years ago. But it works for me.
It's a Windows script, if you didn't build in pessimism you weren't doing it right.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don’t miss the days when I had an HTPC running Plex server and my content out on some smb share on a PC in my office. Had the same “check for mounted drives and remount if not there” script as well as a remote web power switch to force reboots without having to try and use chrome Remote Desktop from my phone

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Thanks, I'll try these

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've got a weird Plex question regarding data use. At my cabin I don't have internet available but I do have cell data. I have an old pc setup running Plex. To get it to work I wirelessly connect the PC to my hotspot then bridge the wireless connection to a router via ethernet. This allows me to use the router to connect to a couple Roku's around the place. I only use Plex and it seems like it doesn't use much data (I buy a 4gb monthly card each month since I only use it during summer months). The problem is the internet cuts out (lousy cell connection and I use a booster) and then the bridge fails and it becomes a pain in the rear end to set back up.

With all that said, if I connected all the devices (PC/Roku's) directly to the hotspot would it use up my data quickly or would it still treat it as being on a local network?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I've got a weird Plex question regarding data use. At my cabin I don't have internet available but I do have cell data. I have an old pc setup running Plex. To get it to work I wirelessly connect the PC to my hotspot then bridge the wireless connection to a router via ethernet. This allows me to use the router to connect to a couple Roku's around the place. I only use Plex and it seems like it doesn't use much data (I buy a 4gb monthly card each month since I only use it during summer months). The problem is the internet cuts out (lousy cell connection and I use a booster) and then the bridge fails and it becomes a pain in the rear end to set back up.

With all that said, if I connected all the devices (PC/Roku's) directly to the hotspot would it use up my data quickly or would it still treat it as being on a local network?

Is your content in the cabin along with the clients? If so take all of this internet garbage out of the equation and use a regular wifi router to connect everything. I assume plex still supports this mode of operation? :v:

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Supposedly following the instructions here should work: https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

If it doesn’t then Kodi might be a better solution.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

H110Hawk posted:

Is your content in the cabin along with the clients? If so take all of this internet garbage out of the equation and use a regular wifi router to connect everything. I assume plex still supports this mode of operation? :v:

The content is all on the pc. I've tried this but Plex needs the internet for whatever reason, I can't get anything to connect unless I have an internet connection. I can't figure out why but it's very frustrating because that would be ideal.

Edit:

CFox posted:

Supposedly following the instructions here should work: https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

Thanks for this, I'll give it a try and see if that helps.

I've used Kodi in the past but not enough to where I've shared stuff, I might have to try this again if I can't get Plex to work.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 16, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wandler20 posted:

The content is all on the pc. I've tried this but Plex needs the internet for whatever reason, I can't get anything to connect unless I have an internet connection. I can't figure out why but it's very frustrating because that would be ideal.

Look at the how to above and see if that helps you. You won't be able to login to plex is the sole drawback.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

phosdex posted:

If you're mounting as smb, you can use a batch file in startup to verify the shares are actually mounted.

Here's a modified version of the batch I use. It will check to make sure Y: is mounted to \\freenas\media, and then launch Radarr. There's a bit that seems duplicated, and I don't really remember why I had to do it this way since I wrote this like 8 years ago. But it works for me.

I guess an important thing here to note is that I don't launch radarr as a service. Ymmv if you do, same thing for Sonarr.

pre:
@echo off
echo * Pausing 30 seconds for system startup.
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1 > nul

rem These 2 lines check to see if the mount and share exist already

rem If share exists but not the mount, mount.

rem If share doesn't exist, but mount does, delete the mount.
if %YshareExists%==0 if %YdriveExists%==1 (net use /delete y:)

rem Clear vars
set YdriveExists=
set YshareExists=

rem Check the share and mount again after we may have mounted or deleted.

rem Share exists, mount doesn't, so we have to mount.
if %YshareExists%==1 if not %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * Mounting \\FreeNAS\media)

rem Everything good
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * All mounts found!)

rem Start Radarr
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (echo * Starting Radarr)
if %YshareExists%==1 if %YdriveExists%==1 (start "" /d "C:\ProgramData\Radarr\Bin" /i "C:\ProgramData\Radarr\Bin\Radarr.exe" "/icon")

Will this only work at startup or can I run it directly to test? I only ask because I modified it to use my drive letter and share name but it just hangs after the "Pausing 30 seconds" bit (Yes, I waited much more than 30 seconds)

Update: Ok, so the machine I'm running this on is incredibly slow, eventually got it to work. However, it opens the UAC prompt where you have to click 'Yes' to proceed so I don't think this would work as an unattended startup script. And Radarr still says it can't find the mounted drive.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 18, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Can you just run Plex on the Windows box as well? If you're not transcoding, Plex will run fine on a pretty low end PC.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Save a bunch of media files to your phone / sync to phone plex and cast / shift the files to the tv/pc in the cabin?

How do you get this sonic thing to start scanning music.

e: of course as soon as I post this PC starts burning up. The dashboard doesn't show anything happening with local login, you have to go to app.plex.tv

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 18, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Running Sonarr and Radarr as a service in Windows also cannot read UNC paths. Maybe I need to go more abstract - can I stop Windows restarting itself or get Sonarr/Radarr to notify me if this happens?

Edit: Think I got it - so I installed both Sonarr and Radarr as services. In services.msc I configured both to use my login account and had them automatically start. Rebooted manually to check and both came back up, both talking to UNC paths

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 18, 2021

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CFox posted:

It looks like this would have worked......if stupid Roku wouldn't refuse to connect to a network without internet.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Oh yea, I think that did actually happen to me years ago with my standalone roku. The stupid thing probably just can't stand not being able to download ads. Weirdly enough I have a TV with Roku built in and it didn't give me any trouble when my internet went out for a day recently.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CFox posted:

Oh yea, I think that did actually happen to me years ago with my standalone roku. The stupid thing probably just can't stand not being able to download ads. Weirdly enough I have a TV with Roku built in and it didn't give me any trouble when my internet went out for a day recently.

I wonder if Fire TV's react the same. It would be pretty easy to switch from Roku to a Fire stick.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Scratch that, just looked today and both have lost connection to the network drive so the service solution hasn't worked. Gonna stick to checking daily and restarting manually when this happens

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Scratch that, just looked today and both have lost connection to the network drive so the service solution hasn't worked. Gonna stick to checking daily and restarting manually when this happens

How often does it break? I would write a batch file to cycle the service and schedule it to run daily (or whatever) that way I don't need to mess with it when it's TV time.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What is the best way to manage anime in Japanese with sonarr? Can I add a 2nd language to the search preferences?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure there's an anime specific fork of Sonarr that might be worth installing if it's something you're going to use fairly often.

----

Haven't made my mind up about these new Sonic-whatever mixes. Analyzing what something sounds like isn't the most ideal way to make a mix up when you're dealing with stuff like heavy music and you'd rather the playlist make genre sense rather than just flinging in death metal next to hardcore because the spectrals look similar.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The more music you have, the more closely it matches. As far as I can tell. I think it just forces less-close matches; it shows the most similar things you have which may not be very similar.
I stuck a couple dozen albums in to try it, and it was doing as you describe above. After deciding it was worth scanning them all, I stuck 1200 albums into it.

It's barely even mixing between subgenres of a subgenre in most instances, e. g. matching a particular track off one album that sounds like a bands earlier work, to other artists who are similar to said bands early work.

What I expected was "this Metallica song is basically just like Emperor" what I got "here's another atmospheric black metal song where someone is really upset about trees, winter, or trees in winter"

I've really liked it so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is based off a relatively new incoming library that has 221 albums in it. Certain things it gets right, certain things it doesn’t. It’s neat but it doesn’t do as good a job as other maps I’ve seen, which are most likely more manual but have other failings due to that. Like in this particular one it’s going from slamming death into hardcore, and while a machine might think that’s a suitable mix it’s not particularly natural when there’s far more relevant stuff around it.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Plex updated on our Apple TV and now we can’t switch users. The indicator is still at the top of the menu but navigating up from search takes to the other side of the screen. I’ve tried force closing the app and restarting the Apple TV but no luck. Might try uninstalling and reinstalling.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I'm trying to create some smart collections and hitting some weird stuff with the filters, specifically trying to get "contains" matches working on titles separated by periods instead of spaces. Has anyone hit this before or know if I can change a setting to fix it?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Dsmif posted:

Plex updated on our Apple TV and now we can’t switch users. The indicator is still at the top of the menu but navigating up from search takes to the other side of the screen. I’ve tried force closing the app and restarting the Apple TV but no luck. Might try uninstalling and reinstalling.

This was my issue this morning, but it was fine just moments ago so whatever it was solved itself

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone know what this is all about? Unsure how much I trust them to not gently caress up my existing metadata/matches at this point.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Moey posted:

Anyone know what this is all about? Unsure how much I trust them to not gently caress up my existing metadata/matches at this point.

I did this last night and I gotta tell you, my metadata has never looked more meta!

It's just fine so far. I haven't ever really manually fiddled around much with any of my metadata, though. I can sure understand not wanting to lose hours of fine-tuning, ya obsessive nerd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I just clicked OK on mine before realizing I might've made the worst mistake ever as I have a lot of stuff that was a pain to do (and some that has completely custom matching I did by hand). I know a chunk of my library is already on the new one, lets see how much damage it causes...

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is that the change that was implemented a few months ago? If so, my only problem was it changed a bunch of posters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's been opt-in for a while, seems they're going for a push now. I've found some issues with the new one, mainly year of release can sometimes be way wrong... like it's taking a home media release as the original date for some reason, so it's out by 10 years.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I went ahead and let it do its thing. It is slowly churning through my large libraries now.

Will report back whenever this finishes.

Edit:

Seems to have finished scanning, just doing a quick look around, all seems well so far.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 26, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The bottom of that screenshot says it won’t touch metadata on your existing stuff unless you manually refresh their metadata or choose the “Refresh All Metadata” option. Sounds like it should only affect newly added stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lawen posted:

The bottom of that screenshot says it won’t touch metadata on your existing stuff unless you manually refresh their metadata or choose the “Refresh All Metadata” option. Sounds like it should only affect newly added stuff.

What's been going on in the thread led me to do this today.......and I found 1/3 of my libraries were already done and I vaguely remember doing that.

The libraries where it has been done (must have been months ago) are getting new things just fine, all is well. I converted the rest and rescanned metadata and everything seems fine.

But like all things Plex, YMMY depending on your content and naming.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think the question we are all wondering is:
Will this fix the ordering of my Firefly episodes without my manual intervention?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

CopperHound posted:

Will this fix the ordering of my Firefly episodes without my manual intervention?

I would just do it by hand. There aren't very many.

(ducks)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex accommodates Firefly perfectly, the delete button is right there

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I still don't understand why the android version can't click on an actors name to bring up the other things you have them in. It works great in the browser, but has been broken on the Shield for as long as I can remember.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Because Android, iOS, and Web Browser all require different programming languages, odds are the plex app is three completely different programs, and the Android developer has been busy with other stuff that isn't making mashable face buttons that search by actor.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slightly off topic but I recently bought a Nvidia Shield to replace my lovely ALLCAPS brand Amazon purchased "Android TV" box and holy poo poo it is so much better than what I was using before. Not that I ever used it as a plex server, just a player, but the new hardware still makes a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Plex let’s you select between production numbering and air date on the fly.

As an example. Head to firefly (the show page) hit the pencil page to edit it. Head to advanced. Then change episode ordering to whatever works for you (I’m using dvd order)

There’s a few shows I’ve used this to fix ordering on.