Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

the bwm is not just subtracting negative values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now that I think about it, would the marriage even kill off the parental connection as far as FASFA is concerned? It's loving HARD to get them to accept that your parents aren't going to pay for your school.

It was a lot of fun convincing them that the year my dad retired and took a lump sum payment was not actually representative of his regular yearly income. Good thing I had money to pay for classes while that all got sorted out over several months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

:five:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Teenage emancipation is much much harder to qualify for than marriage. They are correct that by being married, they are automatically independent, period.

Pretty much the only question is how their state handles marital debt and whether a prenup would be a good idea.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just seems like a pre-nup would really suck the joy out of this underage FAFSA scam marriage

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I interpreted that as "unlike Topps, the MLB itself has a stake in Fanatics" - so it's not money from nowhere but instead just the MLB moving to capture the revenue that Topps previously was soaking up.

...is that not the case? I bet it's not. That would make sense.

Maybe, but I have to question how much profit Topps was making. Given the option to go bankrupt or make less profit I'd think they'd do whatever they could to keep the MLB business. My guess is rights to all kinds of team branded pro sports stuff is falling under Fanatics since they also sell licensed apparel. The sports card business is probably a rounding error off the jersey sales.

Watch Topps get devalued hard and Fanatics just wait until the last minute and then buy the hollowed out remains to print their baseball cards.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Do kids even collect baseball cards any more? Like, actual kids.

The only people I'm even vaguely aware of into them are 30 year olds who desperately want to be boomers.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Anne Whateley posted:

Teenage emancipation is much much harder to qualify for than marriage. They are correct that by being married, they are automatically independent, period.

Pretty much the only question is how their state handles marital debt and whether a prenup would be a good idea.

Wait - so if the magic switch is marriage. Can they get married and then divorced a year later and they’re still “independent”?

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Some historical BWM for 19th-century French creditors: "The Art of Making Debts" by Erika Vause.

quote:

At the dawn of the nineteenth century, France was a country held together by chains of credit and debt that bound workers to employers and producers to consumers. Peasants strained under hefty mortgages. Merchants relied on promissory notes and bills of exchange to buy and sell. Aristocrats ran up bills with their tailors and booters. Workers hocked their meager possessions at municipal pawnshops. Thousands of people were incarcerated each year when they couldn’t pay up, held at the private request of their creditors. Thousands more filed for bankruptcy before the nation’s commercial courts, undergoing a process fraught with social and legal dishonor.

quote:

Historians of credit have argued that its logic was not entirely, or even primarily, financial. Laurence Fontaine, for instance, has described early modern credit as a “moral economy”, meaning that it relied on highly personal judgements of character. Relations of credit were relations of power. In French eighteenth-century aristocratic culture, as historian Clare Crowston has argued, credit operated according to an “economy of regard” in which the very word “credit” more frequently referred to status or reputation than it did to a monetary transaction.

quote:

Fundamental to this “art of making debts” was mastery of the “promenade” or “run around”. As Jacques-Gilbert Ymbert explained in his 1824 L’art de promener ses créanciers, “the goal of the promenade is to bore the creditor, to bring him to such a state of fatigue and annoyance that, out of breath, spent, and under pressure, he at last despairs of his repayment and renounces the pursuit”. The full run-around often took years, and the process entailed careful preparation on the part of debtors. They were encouraged to rent top-floor apartments with windows facing the street (“a creditor who has breached five flights of stairs arrives at your door tired, out of breath: it’s not money he needs, it’s a chair”) and to furnish their living quarters with strange and eccentric devices, preferably new technologies, that would divert the attention of a visiting creditor away from financial matters. More drastically, the manuals proposed changes of physical appearance. Recommendations included wigs, beards, fake noses, various forms of disfigurement, extreme weight gain and weight loss, even diseases.

Patience was the true secret to a successful “promenade”. Ymbert drew up a helpful table, for debtors to memorize “like the Pythagorean theorem”, that provided a scientific estimate of how long a promenade would have to be (in years and in distance) to satisfy a given creditor, as well as how many pairs of shoes a creditor would wear out in the process.

The first column reads: “Degree of ordinary creditor’s patience”. The second column reads: “Distance he must be led so that he gives up”. The third column reads: “Pairs of shoes he will wear out.” The fourth column reads: “Estimate of distance traveled, as part of earth’s circumference / by time”.

quote:

Writers cautioned debtors to avoid chance encounters with their creditors at all costs. As Ymbert explained, the result of meeting a creditor in the street could be catastrophic: "It erases the effects of six months of promenade and gives the debt all the freshness that it had lost . . . Naked, exposed to the reproaches of your creditor . . . you stutter, you make promises. Your creditor’s strength grows from your weakness, and he is reborn, throwing himself at you with all the energy he had lost."

quote:

Debtors’ manuals were avowedly designed not for the “general population who makes debts left and right”, but rather for the “proper gentleman” (an homme comme il faut). In L'art de faire des dettes, Ymbert described this figure as a dispossessed aristocrat. As victims of the nation’s turbulent decades, they were entitled to a certain standard of luxury as their birthright. “You were brought up to occupy a certain position in society”, Ymbert assured his readers, “unforeseeable circumstances have knocked you out of it. But your parents still invested a lot in you to prepare you for the state of a proper gentlemen . . . your person remains your capital”. Such pesky problems as utter insolvency should not keep a gentleman from the lifestyle that “society and civilization owe (him)”.

... Debtors were encouraged to consistently patronize the finest jewelers, tailors, cobblers, and restaurants. Not only was the quality of their goods superior, Ymbert claimed, but in taking from those “who already had” one helped “restore equilibrium” between those who had “too much” and those who had “not enough”. Above all, however, at such places the fashionable gentleman would in fact reimburse his debt several times over by inspiring others, through his example, to pay for the products that he himself consumed on credit. He would “tie his cravat like an angel and thus push our muslin industry to its highest degree”. And, taking breakfast at a café, he would make it fashionable by his very presence, inspiring a desire to spend money on exotic delicacies by “eating with contagious grace”. The debtor was, in short, an early nineteenth-century influencer who would use his charisma to increase consumption and satisfy his debts without “spending a dime”.

The article has some great illustrated prints with sardonic captions, too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

rufius posted:

Wait - so if the magic switch is marriage. Can they get married and then divorced a year later and they’re still “independent”?
No, the magic switch is currently being married afaik.

If you are divorced (and under 24), you could apply for an override, although again that's more of a process than marriage and you would have to do a lot of convincing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in college i knew someone who had parents that refused to pay a cent towards college expenses, but also refused to take the time necessary to go through the fafsa paperwork to prove they weren't going to pay a cent. so she married someone she met in her freshman year explicitly to get better financial aid

they're still married though, so anyone considering this strategy should keep in mind how sticky even a marriage of convenience can be

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

snailshell posted:

quote:

Debtors’ manuals were avowedly designed not for the “general population who makes debts left and right”, but rather for the “proper gentleman” (an homme comme il faut). In L'art de faire des dettes, Ymbert described this figure as a dispossessed aristocrat. As victims of the nation’s turbulent decades, they were entitled to a certain standard of luxury as their birthright. “You were brought up to occupy a certain position in society”, Ymbert assured his readers, “unforeseeable circumstances have knocked you out of it. But your parents still invested a lot in you to prepare you for the state of a proper gentlemen . . . your person remains your capital”. Such pesky problems as utter insolvency should not keep a gentleman from the lifestyle that “society and civilization owe (him)”.

:thermidor:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in college i knew someone who had parents that refused to pay a cent towards college expenses, but also refused to take the time necessary to go through the fafsa paperwork to prove they weren't going to pay a cent. so she married someone she met in her freshman year explicitly to get better financial aid

they're still married though, so anyone considering this strategy should keep in mind how sticky even a marriage of convenience can be

3 of the 7 green card marriages i know of have lasted longer than the amount of time needed for the green card

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IOP probably paid the MSRP+ premium (10-20k) to get a 2020 model when now in 21 you can get them with no issues.

quote:

I made a stupid stupid decision to trade in my old vehicle for a new 2020 Jeep Gladiator last year... I had a well paying job/business ownership at that time with the hopes to make dividends to pay it off quickly. That changed dramatically earlier this year when I lost my job and the business failed. I am now stuck with this truck payment of $713/month that I hate paying so much for. I tried carvana to see if I could trade it in but their site requires me to not only list my truck as a trade in but also forces me to put down $13,000 in cash as a down payment.

Would the dealership offer me a better situation or am I Stuck with the truck until I reach the KBB appraisal of $30,000?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 24, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

In which OP buys a house with someone then they break up

quote:

I normally realllly try to google things before asking here, but I’ve no clue where to start on this one.

I bought my first house in NOV 2019. I was engaged at the time, but was also in a position to buy it myself + she wouldn’t qualify as a co-borrower anyways, having no established credit in the US yet (non-permanent resident with constantly renewing work visas)

Within the job I’d already been in, I also took on leadership of a bunch of Covid response initiatives at the start of the pandemic, and eventually had to leave my much higher paying side job as a result of not having enough time available to work it. I no longer had enough income to qualify on my own as a result, and because she’d established credit, and because I’m an effing idiot, we refinanced together in January of this year to get out of the crappy initial loan I’d been able to get. Put her on the deed when doing so.

We also never married and ended up breaking up a month ago.

She wants to sell the house and take half, and I more than anything just don’t want to lose my house. Regardless of “what is fair” or “right” in terms of what she is entitled to, A. she’s not interested in having a conversation about how I could buy her out; B. I’m just trying to understand what she can or can’t do

But the titled question is as good of a place to start as any. She’s suggesting that she can sell 100% of her half of the deed to someone for a financial interest, and also bail on any financial responsibility for any of the loan/financing of that half she’s selling (particularly since I’d obviously not default on my mortgage and/or because she’s likely leaving the US within a year at this point. Are either or both parts of that feasible?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

IME carpenters are ridiculously good at arithmetic involving weird combinations of fractions but not so much at subtracting negatives. This dev knows that their audience is the carpenters who never got a handle on the fractions part.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the Gladiator was also not meeting sales projections like, at all, and were readily available with cash on hood unlike other Jeeps

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Gladiator was also not meeting sales projections like, at all, and were readily available with cash on hood unlike other Jeeps

Yeah but followed a huge spike where every dealer was selling them for msrp+. He bought high and is trying to sell low.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes but for the first few months folks were going stupid and paying MSRP+ for em. I remember reading several stories about large markups for the first few months

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I used to have a roommate that paid for a subscription to the official Jeep lifestyle magazine that was sent twice a month.

I have no idea what is going on in the Jeep lifestyle community that requires biweekly updates.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you wouldn't understand

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i kind of like the gladiator it's fun

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is for an item selling for $139 and he signed his real name.

He's willing to drive two days.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I used to have a roommate that paid for a subscription to the official Jeep lifestyle magazine that was sent twice a month.

I have no idea what is going on in the Jeep lifestyle community that requires biweekly updates.

I can't hear about niche lifestyle magazines without thinking of this Calvin and Hobbes strip:

The only person I've ever known that drove a jeep was my sister, when she was 17. So I find it difficult to imagine Jeep drivers as anything other than teenage girls.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Is this a whatever item or are you the goon selling silver

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

so i'm really curious about this, and assuming that:

- his average speed in his trip is 100km/h in a straight line in every direction (I have no idea whats the actual average speed for American highways, but this should account for the fact that he can't drive towards any arbitrary angle in a straight line. this still feels kinda conservative to me though)
- he meant two days, as in, at most a four day trip for the round-trip for handing your cash
- he will drive for 8h per day, so he will go to a place that's 16h hours one-way at the most (again being conservative here I can see him driving a straight 12h per day if not more.)
- he meant Indianapolis and not the state itself, because that would be... strange

So 100km/h * 16h = 1600km range. which gives me pretty much anywhere in the eastern US

i don't even want to know how much of gasoline/diesel he would spend on this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Is this a whatever item or are you the goon selling silver

It's a silver coin.

I told him that I couldn't do that (despite his 400 positive reviews involving money orders) and didn't want to meet him somewhere. I haven't heard back yet.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lmao: Currency of the future! :butts:

Coinbase slammed for terrible customer service after hackers drain user accounts

quote:

The Vidovics' account had risen to $168,596 on April 28 when the hacking occurred, according to account statements the Vidovics shared with CNBC. That amount was essentially wiped out, with only a $587.15 balance shown the next day.

Like the Vidovics, Ben, a Virginia resident who asked that his last name be withheld, said he saw thousands of dollars vanish. He logged onto his Coinbase app in March, verifying his identity with two-factor authentication, but over a four-minute stretch almost $35,000 in various coins disappeared from his account, he said.

In a response to his frantic email, Coinbase told Ben his computer had been hacked and there wasn't anything the company could do.

"I really am baffled," he said. "It just seems to me that Coinbase did absolutely zero research and just said, 'Hey, yeah, sorry.'"

The CFPB responded to one of Ben's ensuing complaints with an answer from Coinbase's Regulatory Response Team. The email noted that transactions on the blockchain are irrevocable and said Coinbase's insurance policy does not cover theft from individual accounts.

quote:

"My question is how can a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange be doing this to customers? How can they not have a customer service dedicated line worldwide?" Preble said.

quote:

After CNBC inquired about what happened to the couple, Coinbase sent Tanja an email on Aug. 20 that said the company "does not have the ability to reverse crypto transfers sent off our platform. Unlike traditional banks or credit card companies, once crypto currency transfers are confirmed on the blockchain, they are permanent."

"Because this attack was not the result of a breach of Coinbase security or our systems, we cannot reimburse you for this loss. This attack was only possible because the attacker had prior access to your email account and access to your 2-factor authentication codes (meaning they had access to your phone number through a SIM swap) before they attempted to access your Coinbase account," the email said. 

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Secure? No, government regulation!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
How common is that SIM swap? It seems pretty common with bitcoin only.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hahahahaha oh my god watching currency being reinvented from first principles is amazing.

Those who understand history are condemned to watch other idiots repeat it.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1430318477672386566

So she's actually gonna do it - looks like this has received enough attention so it'll be GWM for her and BWM for someone else. Just paying the BWM forward!

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How common is that SIM swap? It seems pretty common with bitcoin only.

Medium common in UK debit/credit card fraud!
It’s common enough that the banks have things in place to distinguish whether it has been done or not.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PalaNIN posted:

https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1430318477672386566

So she's actually gonna do it - looks like this has received enough attention so it'll be GWM for her and BWM for someone else. Just paying the BWM forward!

If she's smart she'll also buy a zircon or something and smash that on camera while selling the diamond on the sly.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Weatherman posted:

If she's smart she'll also buy a zircon or something and smash that on camera while selling the diamond on the sly.

if she's really smart the receipt is fake and she never bought a diamond

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BMan posted:

if she's really smart the receipt is fake and she never bought a diamond

If she was actually smart her involvement with NFT's would be non-existent.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

snailshell posted:

Some historical BWM for 19th-century French creditors: "The Art of Making Debts" by Erika Vause.

The first column reads: “Degree of ordinary creditor’s patience”. The second column reads: “Distance he must be led so that he gives up”. The third column reads: “Pairs of shoes he will wear out.” The fourth column reads: “Estimate of distance traveled, as part of earth’s circumference / by time”.

Everything about this is amazing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

quote:

Fundamental to this “art of making debts” was mastery of the “promenade” or “run around”. As Jacques-Gilbert Ymbert explained in his 1824 L’art de promener ses créanciers, “the goal of the promenade is to bore the creditor, to bring him to such a state of fatigue and annoyance that, out of breath, spent, and under pressure, he at last despairs of his repayment and renounces the pursuit”. The full run-around often took years, and the process entailed careful preparation on the part of debtors.

Me: I had no idea I had so much in common with 19th century French aristocrats

My husband: oh, I did. You'd have been in the square with your head in a basket like the rest of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure poo poo's exactly the same now, turns out debt doesn't actually matter unless you're of the peasant class because as long as you have the right dad you'll get infinity extra lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Space Kablooey posted:

so i'm really curious about this, and assuming that:

- his average speed in his trip is 100km/h in a straight line in every direction (I have no idea whats the actual average speed for American highways, but this should account for the fact that he can't drive towards any arbitrary angle in a straight line. this still feels kinda conservative to me though)
- he meant two days, as in, at most a four day trip for the round-trip for handing your cash
- he will drive for 8h per day, so he will go to a place that's 16h hours one-way at the most (again being conservative here I can see him driving a straight 12h per day if not more.)
- he meant Indianapolis and not the state itself, because that would be... strange

So 100km/h * 16h = 1600km range. which gives me pretty much anywhere in the eastern US

i don't even want to know how much of gasoline/diesel he would spend on this
I dunno. If I had to live in Indiana, I'd take any opportunity to take a 4 day excursion from Indiana.