Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Runcible Cat posted:

Short story, Silver Age I think, Sturgeon or Kuttner or someone from that era.

Little boy on a farm bragging to a little girl called Precious that he can wish for things and they come true, but the wish wears off in a few hours. He proves it by turning a pig into a giant piggy bank and dropping a coin in. Then he turns himself into a giant insect to frighten her and she stamps on him.

The last line is about the shock Precious' mother's going to get when she sees what stuck to Precious' shoe in the morning.

Talent, by Sturgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

wheatpuppy posted:

Talent, by Sturgeon

Weird, I went through my Sturgeons before posting and couldn't find it. Thank you!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I found it! I found the goddamn boy-turns-into-a-gasspump book!

I did a little dip into the national library archives and managed to track down the Dutch version of it. The book is called "Super-Brikke". It was written by two Flemish auteurs called Michel Smets and Walter Oliviers, with illustrations by Dirk Lodewijckx. It was published in 1986 by a publishinghouse named Delta. For more details, see here.

Now, I am absolutely certain this is the book that I read as a kid. It ticks all the boxes, from subject to time period. What bothers me, however, is that it was indeed Flemish. So how did this absurd story make its way across the world?

EDIT: VVV Yes! That would make sense, considering Belgium is divided into French and Dutch-speaking areas. I asked the publisher if they have any more information for me, awaiting there answer now.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 25, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg

There's also a French version called Super-Gilles, does that help?

https://www.worldcat.org/title/super-gilles/oclc/906832972

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Uh, weird, because Whang JUST posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNAkC9yEK0

He didn't end up finding it, so you could drop him a line, letting him know that you found it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This is thread history in the making. That's some amazing research.

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021
I found the English version!

It's called Super Giles!

I've ordered a copy from Amazon for prosterity

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021
Just a little detail on how I found it

A user called G.H. Kuiper, commented under the Whang! video with the Dutch name for the book. I searched various things related to the author, Walter Olivers and found that the book was mainly called Super-Brikke

I saw that the author also wrote books in French so I eventually found that the French name for the book was Super-Gilles. Since Gilles is close to the English name Giles, I searched for Super Giles and found a listing on Amazon with the above image

dflinter fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 25, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's no wonder that it was difficult to find, given the ISBNs are almost nowhere on the internet, meaning it's unlikely much of the books metadata will have been indexed anywhere.
Of course now ~the algorithm~ is bound to have picked up on the uptick, which'll mean that everyone will be finding it easily - but a historical search still makes it profoundly difficult to find.

It does give me hope that I might eventually find the book with the two cats who eat meatballs after being on a fishing vessel in a storm, that I've searching for for over two decades.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 25, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dflinter posted:

Just a little detail on how I found it

A user called G.H. Kuiper, commented under the Whang! video with the Dutch name for the book. I searched various things related to the author, Walter Olivers and found that the book was mainly called Super-Brikke

I saw that the author also wrote books in French so I eventually found that the French name for the book was Super-Gilles. Since Gilles is close to the English name Giles, I searched for Super Giles and found a listing on Amazon with the above image

Ohhh weird, so the whang video helped you, in a roundabout way. Crazy! I just thought there was an astounding coincidence that you found it the same day the video was posted.

In case you're reading this for the inevitable follow up video, Justin: hey! Love your videos! :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 25, 2021

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uh, weird, because Whang JUST posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNAkC9yEK0

He didn't end up finding it, so you could drop him a line, letting him know that you found it.

That's what gave me the idea to do some actual drat research. Woke up, saw my name mentioned in it, thought I wanted to do something.

I posted it on YouTube and Reddit at the same time I did here, but when I looked into Whang's discord I found another poster (Also from the Netherlands) there had found it two hours earlier.

But man, glad that it has been found.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dflinter posted:

It's called Super Giles!

"Reading Bear" in English vs "Série ourson" in French!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Pug Smugly posted:

I'm trying to find a children's picture book that I half remember.

The characters were little creatures that looked like moomin or buster from the Arthur cartoons.

There was a good side that was trying to end winter and bring in spring/summer. The bad creatures were trying to make it always winter.

I remember one page had a good creature hooking up wires so that a crocus flower could bloom through snow.

The cover was black with coloured pictures on it.

Thanks for any help

This is "Trouble for Trumpets" I wish I could find a cheap copy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dflinter posted:

It's called Super Giles!

That cover art with the legend "9/11 Years" would make someone think it's about something entirely different

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Davros1 posted:

That cover art with the legend "9/11 Years" would make someone think it's about something entirely different

What are you expecting, some story about indulging in terrible body horror and self-destructive behavior because a childish protagonist feels insulted and has an obsession for keeping the pumps running?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I love a happy ending. :unsmith:

(Please tell me the book doesn’t turn out to be, like, super racist or something.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Another TBB success story.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'll try going to the Royal Library this week. According to worldcat they should have a copy, and I might be able to take some pictures there. It would be the Dutch version, though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I did a little dip into the national library archives and managed to track down the Dutch version of it. The book is called "Super-Brikke". It was written by two Flemish auteurs called Michel Smets and Walter Oliviers, with illustrations by Dirk Lodewijckx. It was published in 1986 by a publishinghouse named Delta. For more details, see here.

Now, I am absolutely certain this is the book that I read as a kid. It ticks all the boxes, from subject to time period. What bothers me, however, is that it was indeed Flemish. So how did this absurd story make its way across the world?

EDIT: VVV Yes! That would make sense, considering Belgium is divided into French and Dutch-speaking areas. I asked the publisher if they have any more information for me, awaiting there answer now.

You absolute loving hero! A 20 year brainworm has finally been solved :) Seriously, I thought I would never find this!

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021
Bad news guys

As I mentioned in my post with the pic, I bought the book

Unfortunately the seller contacted me this morning to say it was in worse condition that originally thought (it was missing 2 pages) and they offered me a refund or another book

I asked could they send it to me as I didn't care about the condition, only to be told they sent it to get pulped and can no longer retrieve it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dflinter posted:

Bad news guys

As I mentioned in my post with the pic, I bought the book

Unfortunately the seller contacted me this morning to say it was in worse condition that originally thought (it was missing 2 pages) and they offered me a refund or another book

I asked could they send it to me as I didn't care about the condition, only to be told they sent it to get pulped and can no longer retrieve it

This has got a bit of a "Cheese Shop" vibe to it.

John Cleese: "Oooh! Camembert, I'll have some of that."
Michael Palin: "It's a bit runny...."
JC: "No matter, fetch hither the fromage de la belle France! Mmmm!"
MP:"I think it's a bit runnier than you'd like it, sir."
JC: "I don't care how loving runny it is, just hand it over with all speed."
MP:"Ohhhhhhhh!"
JC: "What?"
MP: "The cat's eaten it."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't believe that story one bit

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't believe that story one bit

Yeah I would be skeptical too!

See some screenshots for proof

https://imgur.com/a/eidl4QN

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Repost from a few years ago. It's not The Drowned World

I read this around 1999-2000.

Post-apocalyptic book set in England. I remember flooding down Tottenham Court Road (in London, I was living close by there at the time, so it stuck with me), and some fella (the bad guy?) on an abandoned cruise ship.

There was a scene towards the start when a woman was about to be impaled vaginally on a pole, and the narrator shot her in the head to spare her that. I think one of the lads impaling the woman had the remnants of a police uniform on.

Bad guy may have called himself Jesus.

Pretty sure the book was written in the first person.

Also I think the narrator had a brother

Gambrinus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 26, 2021

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

dflinter posted:

You found the book though at least, that's something. Now to trawl charity shops and car boots in the hope of one day finding it!

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

dflinter posted:

Countdown for this book to be relisted at £50 after all the recent attention.

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021

Dell_Zincht posted:

You found the book though at least, that's something. Now to trawl charity shops and car boots in the hope of one day finding it!

I just wish they had contacted me before sending it for destruction

I asked them again but they re-iterated it was gone

Now we know the name, surely it is only a matter of time before another becomes available

However, I believe some scans of the Dutch version are incoming as per a Reddit user on the Whang! subreddit so not all is lost!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

dflinter posted:

I just wish they had contacted me before sending it for destruction

I asked them again but they re-iterated it was gone

Now we know the name, surely it is only a matter of time before another becomes available

However, I believe some scans of the Dutch version are incoming as per a Reddit user on the Whang! subreddit so not all is lost!

How's your Dutch, lol

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021
Some scans have been posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/Whang/comments/pbz2k2/we_have_scans_for_superbrikke_thanks_to_nore_on/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They got scans, and the person scanning couldn't be bothered to get a picture of the kid AS the gas pump?

:cmon:

dflinter
Aug 25, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They got scans, and the person scanning couldn't be bothered to get a picture of the kid AS the gas pump?

:cmon:

I believe it was a worker in the library that did it and they were only allowed to scan the first 18 pages or something

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lol everybody loving sucks

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I had no idea I was featured so extensively in that Whang! video btw, lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

I had no idea I was featured so extensively in that Whang! video btw, lol
Your fifteen minutes of e-fame are here!

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
Sorry to bring it back to Revival chat but I just finished it and had recommended it to my almost 80 year old mother in law early on when it was still just a very well told, compelling King story.

Whoops!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bookish posted:

Sorry to bring it back to Revival chat but I just finished it and had recommended it to my almost 80 year old mother in law early on when it was still just a very well told, compelling King story.

Whoops!

Holy gently caress, gooooood job :lol:

Here's hoping it truly is only complete fiction.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow I thought for sure the gas pump book was some salvia fever dream in the OPs part. Mandela effect conspirators are going to have a field day with this.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bookish posted:

Whoops!

Oh my god. That poor woman

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm trying to remember the name of a book and my googling isn't paying off.

It was a Dan Brown knock-off featuring a US professor of South American mythology who gets carted off by G-men to go on a race against the clock in the Amazon looking for a meteor. It involved pantherlike monsters, punching crocodiles and dodging hellfire missiles. Also nazis, I think, because why not?
It was dumb as all gently caress and I hate-read that fucker out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I definitely haven't read it but did some googling of my own...is it Temple by Matthew Reilly?

From wikipedia:

Temple is split into two stories, both set in South America: One set during the Spanish Occupation of South America and one set in 1999 at the same place.

The main focus of the former story is the journey of a monk named Alberto Santiago who becomes a traitor to his country after witnessing Spanish atrocities among the Incan civilisation. Aiding an Incan Prince named Renco Capac to escape, Santiago begins a quest to protect a special Idol - 'The Spirit of the People', an idol carved from black stone with purple veins running through it, actually carved from a meteorite that fell on earth, from the invading Spaniards. Upon his return to Spain, Santiago records his story in a transcript in San Sebastian Monastery in France.

Four hundred years later, a group of German armed militia known as the Stormtroopers raid the monastery, executing all but one of the Jesuit monks living there, recovering the Santiago manuscript. Meanwhile, another party raids DARPA (The Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency) headquarters in order to capture a new superweapon known as the Supernova. DARPA sends Colonel Frank Nash to Peru with the aid of NYU linguistics professor William Race to recover the idol before anyone else can retrieve it. Their mission: to retrieve 'the Spirit of the People' (as the natives call it), carved out of Thyrium-261, a nuclear material from a binary star system that came to Earth via a meteorite. Thyrium has the potential to provide virtually limitless clean energy, which can fuel the Supernova, a next-generation weapon of mass destruction with the power to decimate a third of the Earth's surface and bring about Doomsday.

e: the detailed plot summary mentions jaguar monsters later on, that's gotta be the same book. (Unless there are--gulp--two of them?)

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 1, 2021