Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dawgstar posted:

Bizarre. That seems like very Clueless Exec because the comics are hardly going to encroach on a movie's take home.

This reminds me of Marvel supposedly putting their Fantastic Four comics on hiatus to spite Fox's movie at the time, when the smarter play probably would've been to put out some A+ Fantastic Four comics to make the crappy movie look that much worse and cause people to associate Fantastic Four with Marvel's version that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
instead they gave it to dan slott

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, Rich Woodall got Simon Bisley for a variant cover to the first issue of Gods of Brutality.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am once again wishing Avatar Press would stop loving about and let Gillen finish Uber Invasion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love the Biz. Also great that Simon Pegg's Spaced character is named after him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am once again wishing Avatar Press would stop loving about and let Gillen finish Uber Invasion.

same.

alt just write fanfic about your anarchist utopia, free sugar sludge on the streets under the eye of your benevolent god-empress.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Some good news, I learned that Science Dog is back!

Skybound X #3 has a new Science Dog story, he's on the cover and saw somebody tweet it, so naturally just grabbed that. I see in the intro they mention this picks up from a Science Dog story featured in Oblivion Song #25. Both of those with the backup download CBZ option on spotify for 7 bucks, well worthwhile for more of this great saga.

It is funny, comics are such a unique medium. I'm a pretty darn big fan of Science Dog, I've spread the word to people, just always down for more Science Dog. I had no idea he was back in Oblivion Song 25, and almost missed this new one too. It's just interesting that comics are like buried treasure, they could release something you really want and you might not even hear about it. Maybe there should be a Science Dog newsletter...

Also, the Science Dog story still continues!. I'll just have to look at the bonus material in any issue 25, 50, or 75 of a Kirkman book from now on. Fire Power 25 I guess, don't cancel that yet. Science Dog, the greatest doggone hero around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

The GB comics being digitally unavailable has been a thing for months. The word is that Sony wants everything GB related to pause until after the movie is released so as to not overextend the property.

That's just head-scratching as to why they'd want the back-catalogue pulled. Like imagine if Disney made Marvel stop selling every single comic that ever featured Shang-Chi, and pull them all off Unlimited, in case it 'over exposed' the character before the movie came out?

Like, sure, pause new stuff, I guess. Still dumb, but pulling the old stuff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1419661392932708352

For those wondering about Uber.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've just accepted we're never getting an ending at this point.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1419691351743008768?s=19

Comixology is an anaconda that will devour comics slowly and poop it out as a subscription service.

This would be more upsetting if they didn't pay good rates and actually deliver their titles.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SnyderVerse time!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's been a few Comixology books I've enjoyed. Snow Angels, currently ongoing, is really interesting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just read Kent State by Derf Backderf. The bits having to do with the aftermath are depressing in respect to recent history :smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1419691351743008768?s=19

Comixology is an anaconda that will devour comics slowly and poop it out as a subscription service.

This would be more upsetting if they didn't pay good rates and actually deliver their titles.

It would be better if they'd actually offer said subscription service outside the US

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is there any Uber beyond what’s in volume 6 of the graphic novels? That’s up to issue 7 of Uber: Invasion according to the back of the book. I know it’s not finished but I’m not sure I’ve read all of what was published.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sanford posted:

Is there any Uber beyond what’s in volume 6 of the graphic novels? That’s up to issue 7 of Uber: Invasion according to the back of the book. I know it’s not finished but I’m not sure I’ve read all of what was published.

Uber Invasion went into the hiatus it’s been with Issue 17. I didn’t even know they were doing trades, I only see the singles on ComiXology.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They never did trades on comixology for some reason, only singles.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for that, I’ll check them out. I wonder why there’s not at least one more volume of the trades, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snyder's current series Nocterra if you goons are looking for a horror-esque Mad Max Fury Road.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Should I try Nocterra if the first trade of Undiscovered Country was perpetually annoying?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Fish posted:

Should I try Nocterra if the first trade of Undiscovered Country was perpetually annoying?

Didn't read it. Maybe it was Charles Soule's fault?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Space Fish posted:

Nocterra is a lot less obnoxiously weird. I wouldn't call it a must read by any means though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:agreed: Nocterra is much better than Undiscovered Country.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me comixology is often a no go, unless it has the DRM free download option. I just don't like their default viewers, my style is to have it remember my zoom percent and keep it for every page until I change it. Like Perfect Viewer on android, honeyview etc on PC, just about every cool viewer does it like that. Plus I also like having the files right on my tablet.

Speaking of, well this is the humble bundle of the century, this 2000AD punks and stuff one: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books

If you wanna try Judge Dredd and oodles of other cool 2000AD comics old and new, this is a sweet deal. 25 bucks for like 800 dollars worth of digital TPBs. 75 TPBs or so that are say 20 bucks each in paper. I have half of these (maybe 30%) on my shelf but had to get this anyway.

If "America" (one of the must read Judge Dredd comics) was in the 10 dollar tier I might be able to convince more people, but, it is in the 18 bucks tier if 25 is too high. The $25 one has the first five Judge Dredd case files, oodles and oodles of good stuff there (Case Files 2 is where it really gets good). And lots of newer Dredd from the 2000s, 90s, like The Pit, Origins, Total War etc. And lots of other cool series, Dan Abnett stuff like Brink and Kingdom, Rob Williams, cool stuff like Low Life and Simping Detective, classic Judge Anderson (Alan Grant), lots of key Judge Death (including his first appearances with Brian Bolland art in JD Case Files 3 and 5), you name it. Some Slaine, Dredd movie comics, comic hottie Al Ewing's Zombo vols 1 and 2! Out of print Judge Dredd side-story "The Dead Man" that ties into the Necropolis epic, but isn't collected elsewhere (that would be Case Files 14). Alan Moore and Morrison are there too folks. This is pound for pound the finest selection of comics to grace that site.

Don't forget to mess with the sliders to give humble less of the pie, since it defaults a bit high for themselves. drat this is a cool collection of comics.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 31, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halo Jones and America are by themselves worth the admission fee. There is no excuse whatsoever for not leaping on this bundle if you don't already own basically everything in it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

DREDD is the movie universe and Judge Dredd is the regular comic universe, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent posted:

DREDD is the movie universe and Judge Dredd is the regular comic universe, right?

Correct.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
DIE is finally doing what I wanted it to do from the outset, and it's really bracing. If you've fallen off of it a bit, this week is a good time to start getting caught up I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How Wonderful! posted:

DIE is finally doing what I wanted it to do from the outset, and it's really bracing. If you've fallen off of it a bit, this week is a good time to start getting caught up I think.

This is the last arc of Die - it ends with #20. At this point it's probably best to wait on the final trade, which is due in late October/mid November IIRC.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A fair point, I'm just excited-- I feel like it was dragging for a bit but has really found its feet again in the past few issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

This is the last arc of Die - it ends with #20. At this point it's probably best to wait on the final trade, which is due in late October/mid November IIRC.

November 3, according to today's Gillen newsletter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do we know if Die will get a hardcover? I realize it might be too early to say, but 20 issues seems like a solid complete collection.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm holding off for a hardcover, yeah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New issue of Savage Dragon (260, only 40 more til 300!) is pretty wild, there’s a move in there straight out of Story of Ricky.

Also, Larsen’s letterer quit last month so while looking for a new one, he decided to release two versions of the latest comic, the regular cover comic is lettered by Russ Wooton, and the 70s Marvel cover dress version is lettered by Jack Morelli. It’s pretty subtle but it’s a cool little experiment, does anyone know if there have been other comics where there’s two versions with different letterers?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is cool, does sound like a first. I have the standard version of this one coming, but I did get the 70s B cover for a couple recent issues since they were in stock. Creative son of a gun that Erik.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone sign up for any of the Substacks? I went for a year of Jeff Lemire and he's provided a reasonable amount of content so far. Lots of information about his early career, sketches, and as of today the first few pages of Substack-exclusive (for now) Fishflies.

I had a quick look at Ewing and Ahmed's pages (it's free for now I guess) and it looks like they've been doing similar things. I'd rather just have the completed comics as they're released but I don't blame creators for trying something new, especially if they're getting a good chunk of change for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I signed up for Zdarsky, 3 Worlds, and Ahmed's. Zdarsky's sent about eight pages of Kaptara, and 3 Worlds has had a few pages, and a lot of lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
ooh, didn't realize Lemire and Ewing had substacks

I've signed up for Chip! Zdarsky's and 3W3M, Chip sent personal thank you videos to first day subscribers which was cool