Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Was honestly expecting "A long fall"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Itzena posted:

Was honestly expecting "A long fall"

https://twitter.com/Hyskari/status/1236787256238542848

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/AnonyMooseXIV/status/1429239757209575435?s=19

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zenos dies, thancred dies, lyse dies, hydaelyn dies, wol dies, omega is back, omega dies,

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

at least square writes a final episode to zenos' saga

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I can't believe you've done this

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vitamean posted:

zenos dies, thancred dies, lyse dies, hydaelyn dies, wol dies, omega is back, omega dies,

This is one of the few posts I've seen anywhere predicting deaths in Endwalker that don't put the axe to Y'shtola and/or one of the twins (usually Alisaie).

Truly, a real mystery as to why a bunch of gamers essentially writing fanfic in prediction form would most often decide that of the Scions still in the core party, it's Y'shtola and Alisaie that should die.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FAUXTON posted:

My god, it's beautiful

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

FAUXTON posted:

You son of a bitch

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

FAUXTON posted:

I both hate and love you for this, you bastard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FAUXTON posted:

:hai:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who cares about his saga? I want Zenos' gears, especially Zenos' blade.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cleretic posted:

This is one of the few posts I've seen anywhere predicting deaths in Endwalker that don't put the axe to Y'shtola and/or one of the twins (usually Alisaie).

Truly, a real mystery as to why a bunch of gamers essentially writing fanfic in prediction form would most often decide that of the Scions still in the core party, it's Y'shtola and Alisaie that should die.

Really? I really haven't seen many posts expecting the three of them to die. It's usually Thancred (who I agree with) and Estinian that I've seen people guess are going to die. I can ALMOST see the point of view of someone who thinks the twins have a chance of dying if I stretch hard enough, but Y'shtola? Like obviously I get your point they are guessing/hoping they're gonna die cause they're the major women characters, but I think the sun has a better chance of just suddenly going out tomorrow than I do Y'shtola dying

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fwiw I don't think any of the scions will actually die, but I think after this expac and into 7.0 most of them except the twins and maybe graha will take a backseat for a new core cast (maybe including estinien and fordola?).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Macaluso posted:

Really? I really haven't seen many posts expecting the three of them to die. It's usually Thancred (who I agree with) and Estinian that I've seen people guess are going to die. I can ALMOST see the point of view of someone who thinks the twins have a chance of dying if I stretch hard enough, but Y'shtola? Like obviously I get your point they are guessing/hoping they're gonna die cause they're the major women characters, but I think the sun has a better chance of just suddenly going out tomorrow than I do Y'shtola dying

Well, remember I'm not talking here (although I have seen some Y'sh-death hankering here), I'm talking about elsewhere online discussion happens.

In almost every case they never really outline actual reasoning why they should be the ones to die--I have seen some people saying that Y'sh has cheated death with Flow enough times that it has to bite her, but that's it, and... I wonder if those guys know she's already been blinded by it. It's instead just that they clearly decide that someone has to die because they just can't fathom any other way to raise the stakes, and every time they do, they just by pure chance always pull out the same two. Sometimes Alphinaud gets in too, usually as a package 'and then BOTH TWINS DIE' deal.

Thancred I see rarely, but never for no reason, anyone putting him forward has actually considered it. G'raha I vaguely remember seeing crop up, but not often. Estinien and Urianger, never.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if urianger dies I'm unsubbing

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tataru is dying

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Countblanc posted:

Tataru is dying

dying to see us again that is

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Vitamean posted:

if urianger dies I'm unsubbing
At least he'll join Moenbryda though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Urianger dies but manages to keep it a secret from you for the entire expansion

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Tataru is dying

I would actually consider quitting the game

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

At least he'll join Moenbryda though.

I'll join the both of them when I unsub

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You walk into the Rising Stones and see Tataru dead on the floor. Another Tataru comes in, drags away the body and says "Never speak of this". The game continues as normal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I dunno, the Sun getting a date may be pretty unlikely, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thancred will die because all of Urianger's lovers must die. The WoL also dies if the player shipped them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

You walk into the Rising Stones and see Tataru dead on the floor. Another Tataru comes in, drags away the body and says "Never speak of this". The game continues as normal.

I would accept this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm not worried about the Scion A-team dying. Its people like the Scion B-team or our other many and widespread friends that I'm worried about.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I can't believe there's such a good sidequest line buried behind completing all four of the Role Quests. I'm so happy for my boy Unpronounceable.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I think a way to have a clean break would be to have the WoL "die". Maybe just got so famous we're coming up on the Phoenix problem of people worshipping the WoL, but something like a repeat of the ARR mass amnesia thing happens either deliberately or accidentally again.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Later she hands you a bowl of popoto soup for dinner.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maybe, but there isn't a clean break. It's just the end of the zodiark storyline.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zutaten posted:

I can't believe there's such a good sidequest line buried behind completing all four of the Role Quests. I'm so happy for my boy Unpronounceable.

Unukalhai is perfectly pronounceable, there aren't even silent letters in it or anything!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Countblanc posted:

Thancred will die because all of Urianger's lovers must die. The WoL also dies if the player shipped them.

saving the multiverse becomes quite the thanc-less task at that point doesn't it

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Cleretic posted:

Y'shtola is insufferable and should've been axed long ago.

Same with the fanboy cat. He should've bowed out for real in 5.3.

As for the other Scions, I like Alphinaud and Alisae but I'd be fine with them dying. I hope this is my last outting with the Scions so I'm fine with most of them biting it. I'd welcome it actually. There is a lack of stakes in this game. There has been no meaningful loss to the player since HW. As for the surviving Scions, hopefully they go their separate ways at the end of the expansion, and we head into 7.0 with a brand new cast. Also hoping at least one or two nation leaders buy the farm.

Given how averse to consequences for the heroes FFXIV's story writing has become over the last two expansions, I expect to be disappointed by Endwalker. Endwalker is probably going to be a retread of FF8. There is supposed to be this huge invasion of all of thousands and thousands of terrifying monsters ravaging the world... but we all know that in the actual game it's just going to be a few mobs wandering around on the ground in a zone (aka same as before the supposed apcolaypse began), and everyone will survive and get a happy ending.

Cleretic posted:

I have seen some people saying that Y'sh has cheated death with Flow enough times that it has to bite her, but that's it, and... I wonder if those guys know she's already been blinded by it.

The "she's blind" thing has been lip service. She just uses magic sight to see and it's literally just regular sight but better. And there was lipservice about this magic sight draining her lifeforce, but it's been 2 expansions since then and there have been zero tangible repercussions on Y'shtola.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hi again moofia, always a... pleasure

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Algid posted:

I think a way to have a clean break would be to have the WoL "die". Maybe just got so famous we're coming up on the Phoenix problem of people worshipping the WoL, but something like a repeat of the ARR mass amnesia thing happens either deliberately or accidentally again.

Later she hands you a bowl of popoto soup for dinner.
Having the current WoL possibly die and pass on their soul and/or crystals to someone else would be a good way to have an onboarding point for new players who don't want to go through the critically acclaimed etc. etc. but it kind of goes against the whole simple core idea of 'it's you! you're on an adventure! you can do, pretty much, everything on one character' ethos.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nessus posted:

Having the current WoL possibly die and pass on their soul and/or crystals to someone else would be a good way to have an onboarding point for new players who don't want to go through the critically acclaimed etc. etc. but it kind of goes against the whole simple core idea of 'it's you! you're on an adventure! you can do, pretty much, everything on one character' ethos.

Yeah, I feel like they need to have some sort of skip point eventually. The story is good and the main focus, obviously, but it's also just extremely long. Give people bonuses for going through the whole thing, so there's an incentive to keep doing it, but allowing people to jump forward a bit is a necessity in the fullness of time.

I think they're going to solve the "WoL is super famous" thing by just having you go to another continent, though. Nobody's gonna know your name in Meracydia or the New World.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also I don't want my character to die, I like her

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

another great post from the "garleans did nothing wrong, some people can't be trusted with self determination, also racial choice should matter more IYKWIM :wink:" guy with a probe for calling little girls lolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Yshtola should absolutely die again, then come back five minutes later no worse for wear