Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How do you even choose a tire? I bought a used bike last year that came with gatorskins and they're pretty much toast. I'm taking a look for replacements and goddamn there's a lot of options. I'm not commuting on bike, it's just for bumming around town on the weekends, so cheaper is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Casu Marzu posted:

How do you even choose a tire? I bought a used bike last year that came with gatorskins and they're pretty much toast. I'm taking a look for replacements and goddamn there's a lot of options. I'm not commuting on bike, it's just for bumming around town on the weekends, so cheaper is better.

Give a price range of +/- $20 and tire size. There'll always be something that fits.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Give a price range of +/- $20 and tire size. There'll always be something that fits.

Currently on 700x25 tires, could maybe go larger but my rear fender doesn't have a whole lot of extra room. If I could get it in the $30-40/tire range I would be happy.

LBS has some Continental Ultra Sport IIIs on sale and idk they seem like a perfectly good tire with some puncture resistance.

I feel like bike tire shopping is pretty much how car tire shopping is, unless you're driving/biking at a high level or looking for use on a specific surface type, it's all pretty much interchangeable for a normal rear end tire. :shrug:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

I feel like bike tire shopping is pretty much how car tire shopping is, unless you're driving/biking at a high level or looking for use on a specific surface type, it's all pretty much interchangeable for a normal rear end tire. :shrug:
In the $30-40 price range there is a huge amount of choice. My go-to tire in that range for people who don't have a specific requirement is Panaracer Pasela Pro Tite, but there are lots of other fine tires.

E: In my opinion, that Pasela PT is a good balance of puncture resistance, comfort, handling, and price. If you have any of those you value more than others I'd recommend something else.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 17, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CopperHound posted:

In the $30-40 price range there is a huge amount of choice. My go-to tire in that range for people who don't have a specific requirement is Panaracer Pasela Pro Tite, but there are lots of other fine tires.

E: In my opinion, that Pasela PT is a good balance of puncture resistance, comfort, handling, and price. If you have any of those you value more than others I'd recommend something else.

:hmmyes: ship it

e: this seems like the best price for folding bead 25mms.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I've got this rattling noise coming from my back wheel.
Streamable video link, tried to record it.
Happens whether I'm pedalling or not, doesn't start at super low speed, but seems to increase with speed, at least up to a point. Seems to be louder when freewheeling (but maybe that's just because I can pay more attention to it then)

I don't see it rubbing against anything.
Took the wheel off, didn't hear it when bouncing it on the floor or just shaking it.
Tried deflating and re-inflating the wheel.
Tried tightening the cassette a bit - as I had changed it myself just a week and a half ago.

Anything else simple I might be missing?

Didn't affect riding, but... probably not something I should continue riding with.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Could it be your off-kilter dork disc? It doesn't seem loose, but I wonder how it got knocked off center in the first place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Anyone know where to find max tension specs for sun ringle rims? I'm p sure this seemingly machine built wheel at 148kgf drive side is why it keeps shattering nipples.

Jesus Christ. :stare:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

EvilJoven posted:

Anyone know where to find max tension specs for sun ringle rims? I'm p sure this seemingly machine built wheel at 148kgf drive side is why it keeps shattering nipples.

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Never seen any specs on that from Sun, but I think we top our eyeletted CR18s at about 135kgf.

Did you guys get it from Damco? I've had machine made wheels from them taco themselves from the huge tensions.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

kimbo305 posted:

Could it be your off-kilter dork disc? It doesn't seem loose, but I wonder how it got knocked off center in the first place.

Nah, it wasn't that. At least I had proper motivation to finally remove it!

I figure I should try re-greasing and attaching the cassette again tomorrow, maybe I messed something up with that.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Angryhead posted:

Nah, it wasn't that. At least I had proper motivation to finally remove it!

I figure I should try re-greasing and attaching the cassette again tomorrow, maybe I messed something up with that.

What part of your cassette are you greasing? They usually go on dry, except sometimes the lockring if you're feeling deluxe

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

SimonSays posted:

What part of your cassette are you greasing? They usually go on dry, except sometimes the lockring if you're feeling deluxe

Yeah, I meant the lockring, not the cassette itself, sorry, should have specified. Good that you made me specify since I definitely still am new to this and liable to do something real foolish, hah.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

SimonSays posted:

Never seen any specs on that from Sun, but I think we top our eyeletted CR18s at about 135kgf.

Did you guys get it from Damco? I've had machine made wheels from them taco themselves from the huge tensions.

No idea where it came from. It's a higher end TA tubeless MTB wheel a customer brought it in after a few spoke nipples grenaded. I started working on the wheel noticed just how tight everything is and when I put the tension meter on it I took a step back.

I ended up de tensioning the wheel and readjusting everything. Another nipple exploded while I was doing it. I shouldn't have to wear safety googles at the bloody truing stand.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Jobst Brandt says: "Tensioning spokes can be dangerous. A spoke can rupture under tension and shoot from the rim, like an arrow from a crossbow, into your eye. "

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

No idea where it came from. It's a higher end TA tubeless MTB wheel a customer brought it in after a few spoke nipples grenaded. I started working on the wheel noticed just how tight everything is and when I put the tension meter on it I took a step back.

I ended up de tensioning the wheel and readjusting everything. Another nipple exploded while I was doing it. I shouldn't have to wear safety googles at the bloody truing stand.

Ugh, miserable work. It's quicker to build a new wheel than do that.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Jobst Brandt says: "Tensioning spokes can be dangerous. A spoke can rupture under tension and shoot from the rim, like an arrow from a crossbow, into your eye. "

Spokes don't really do that anymore, the nipple nearly always breaks first if you're working on a wheel in the truing stand.

God help you with old spokes from before stainless steel though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wheels that old usually go straight into the bin, not the truing stand. We don't normally see higher end vintage bikes and anything but top shelf stuff from that far back is going to be much worse than a $50 single wall aluminum wheel, so why bother?

We did get one set of wooden wheels come through the shop for truing years ago when I was still new at all this. They were going on a bike over a hundred years old. I was told that under no circumstances was I to approach those wheels with tools in hand, they were for our primary wheel builder only.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Wheels that old usually go straight into the bin, not the truing stand. We don't normally see higher end vintage bikes and anything but top shelf stuff from that far back is going to be much worse than a $50 single wall aluminum wheel, so why bother?

We did get one set of wooden wheels come through the shop for truing years ago when I was still new at all this. They were going on a bike over a hundred years old. I was told that under no circumstances was I to approach those wheels with tools in hand, they were for our primary wheel builder only.

We built up a restoration bike from 1896 for a guy and made him wooden-rim wheels. Cool frame with rear suspension, and I was also given the same instructions as you.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Angryhead posted:

Happens whether I'm pedalling or not, doesn't start at super low speed, but seems to increase with speed, at least up to a point. Seems to be louder when freewheeling (but maybe that's just because I can pay more attention to it then)

Took the wheel off, didn't hear it when bouncing it on the floor or just shaking it.
Tried tightening the cassette a bit - as I had changed it myself just a week and a half ago.

Didn't affect riding, but... probably not something I should continue riding with.

That’s an unhappy noise and I’d suspect the freehub driver mechanism, but you say it happens while pedaling too. Small possibility one of the pawls or something is broken off and bouncing around in there, which is unsafe to say the least.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SimonSays posted:

Feel like I see arguments both ways about this. Some say thin layer of grease on the freehub body, others say dry

I’d always grease or anti sieze the lock ring threads though

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
On day two of an overnight I noticed my buddy's back wheel developed a wobble. He had all his gear on the back, it was enough weight that he couldn't park bike at a stop without it tipping backwards and falling over. We looked at it briefly, no spokes were busted and we didn't have too far left to go so we finished the trip. What's the likely thing to be wrong here?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's just out of true. No wheel is absolutely perfect and even a theoretically perfect wheel will eventually go out of true from impacts and such. A heavier load will make that happen faster.

If you have a spoke wrench in hand and know how to do it true it up as best you can in the field. On a long trip at your next stop where there's a shop you'd want to pop in and see if they can do a quick true and make sure the tension isn't wildly off. It's not a stop riding immediately situation but address it as best you can because it will get worse over time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Ah ok. He went to the shop and they were like “that is a crap wheel get a new wheel” so he did.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

Ah ok. He went to the shop and they were like “that is a crap wheel get a new wheel” so he did.

It could have been a lovely wheel did it say e*13 on it anywhere?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

Ya theres a definite possibility that it was poo poo anyways and a good excuse to bin it and get a new one, or it was bent out of shape in a way where truing it would at best be only slightly delaying the inevitable.

My front wheel on my cross bike's stock wheelset is like that; wobbles towards the loose spokes. If I actually race this year it isn't going to be on those wheels.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dren posted:

On day two of an overnight I noticed my buddy's back wheel developed a wobble. He had all his gear on the back, it was enough weight that he couldn't park bike at a stop without it tipping backwards and falling over. We looked at it briefly, no spokes were busted and we didn't have too far left to go so we finished the trip. What's the likely thing to be wrong here?

Does the wheel still spin freely?
Is the rim still round?

Could be loose cone nuts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
loose cone nuts is the name of my band

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

It could have been a lovely wheel did it say e*13 on it anywhere?

I believe he's got this bike https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2-xv.htm

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a poo poo wheel. The frame is kind of hosed up too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dren posted:

I believe he's got this bike https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2-xv.htm

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a poo poo wheel. The frame is kind of hosed up too.
Oh yeah, that's a poo poo wheel, and it's not going to hold up to carrying a load.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
So I just went to switch out my cassette between two sets of wheels and I can see that notches formed on the free hub body.

I’ve ordered a new free hub body from Hunt but how can I avoid having this happen again?

Am I correct that this is a result of undertorquing the cassette? Or..?

Google yields a variety of opinions.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mexecan posted:

So I just went to switch out my cassette between two sets of wheels and I can see that notches formed on the free hub body.

I’ve ordered a new free hub body from Hunt but how can I avoid having this happen again?

Google yields a variety of opinions.

was the cassette slipping? all freehub bodies will get marks on them

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

mexecan posted:

You can't really avoid it for an alloy piece. Some hubs have steel inserts in it to reduce the effect, or you can go to titanium on top tier hubs or just plain steel if you don't mind the weight.

Torque it down to spec and don't worry about it until it affects shifting performance, which should be 10s of 1000s of miles.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Get a steel body, only way to prevent it. Even then, it'll get chewed if you ride in lovely enough weather.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I think most Shimano hubs have a steel freehub body, at least my old ultegra wheel does. All my others have aluminium bodies that are all chewed up to some extent, I only notice when I come to change the cassette. My commuter's wheel is getting tricky to get a cassette on and off now, Every time I change the cassette I say I'll file off the lumps and then never get round to doing it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mexecan posted:

It's what happens when a steel spider pushes on a aluminum freehub body.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

was the cassette slipping? all freehub bodies will get marks on them

It was fine when I had a SRAM 11-42 cassette on there. I noticed the notching when it was a bitch to get off. I recently bought a new bike with a GRX build and 11-34 cassette, which is what prompted the switch - the Hunt wheelset is nicer than the OEM hoops.

The new shimano cassette slips a great deal and has visible play when I move it around. I suspect the notches from the SRAM cassette do not line up with the new Shimano cassette rings.

New free hub shows up in a few days. 🤷‍♂️

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mexecan posted:

It was fine when I had a SRAM 11-42 cassette on there.
The new shimano cassette slips a great deal and has visible play when I move it around.

Is it possible the freehub is some weird size?
SRAM 11-42 has to be MTB (narrower) width, so the Shimano cassette whether road or mtb, shouldn't be narrower than the freehub...

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Is it possible the freehub is some weird size?
SRAM 11-42 has to be MTB (narrower) width, so the Shimano cassette whether road or mtb, shouldn't be narrower than the freehub...

It’s the Hunt SRAM/Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed road hub off their 4 season gravel disc. The Sram cassette is a PG1130, which I’m pretty sure is the same width as the Shimano 11-34.

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/products/replacement-freehub-for-all-hunt-wheelsets

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

K, so both MTB width. And you're still running the spacer with the new cassette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

Thanks for the help trying to diagnose it y'all, ended up taking it to a shop today and just got a call back - turns out the bearings on one side of the rear hub were rusted through.

e: a Kelly classic for the effort:

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2021