Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
did we ever have

buttcoin: but i coin from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fins posted:

did we ever have

buttcoin: but i coin from there!

not right now we don't

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
"i can't believe NFTs would do me dirty like this"

https://twitter.com/ngreenberg/status/1428810350439370754?s=20

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
plot twist: it's actually random, as stated, but they just display a static image out of laziness/incompetence

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I have my doubts!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

KnifeWrench posted:

plot twist: it's actually random, as stated, but they just display a static image out of laziness/incompetence

It's actually an error code from the site they steal random numbers from.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

buttcoin: I have my doubts!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

That’s not how lines work...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KnifeWrench posted:

alternatively it's not random and instead their RNG is spitting out the number 4 over and over

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ADINSX posted:

That’s not how lines work...

bitcoin desrupting the legacy queue system!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nybble posted:

"i can't believe NFTs would do me dirty like this"

https://twitter.com/ngreenberg/status/1428810350439370754?s=20

what is the stupid thing screenshotted here what is going on. whjy is a queue involved in buying nfts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

what is the stupid thing screenshotted here what is going on. whjy is a queue involved in buying nfts

you have to get in line for the drop, there's only gonna be so many minted and demand is super high!!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

what's the point of assigning people random positions in a queue? isn't that just giving the thing to people at random without having a queue?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chalks posted:

what's the point of assigning people random positions in a queue? isn't that just giving the thing to people at random without having a queue?

:bitcoin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1429921174792847361

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Chalks posted:

my brain, in an attempt to make sense out of our idiotic reality, has surfaced the possibility that people can join the queue after the "waiting room" is opened, and will be placed at the back. the waiting room exists to avoid people frantically refreshing to try to be first

edit: note that I'm not saying this is what they're doing, but it's a system that could be perceived as solving a problem

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chalks posted:

someone had to wait in a queue to buy a ps5 and now they want to create the illusion that demand for ps5s is about the same as demand for an nft of beeple's everybutt: 5000 days of butt

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That dude could probably sell that spider for a million.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Chalks posted:

this is becoming more popular for things that aren't stupid too. i think the idea is everyone who shows up before a certain time is assigned a random position in the queue, and everyone after that time goes at the end. it prevents people from just refreshing the page endlessly trying to catch it right as it goes live

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
wouldn't you then just keep refreshing to get a better random position assigned

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it prevents people from refreshing the page to get in as soon as it goes live by instead having people refreshing the page to get a random place in the queue the moment it goes live

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Antlerhill posted:

wouldn't you then just keep refreshing to get a better random position assigned

no

everyone in the waiting room is given a random place at the instant it goes live

if you refresh, you lose your place and go to the back of the line

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
was searching for a cue cards/flash cards app to help me with my language learning and

https://cuecards.app/

lol who is the target market for this poo poo

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1430717501931986947

As far as I can tell, it rewards them with "crypto" that they then withdraw as actual money from the company.

This is somehow money laundering. I just know it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
"turning jobless into crypto traders"

so, a no-op?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nah. Crypto traders contribute to money laundering schemes.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the queue is just a psych trick to make you want the nft more after waiting a predetermined amount of time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cool av posted:

the queue is just a psych trick to make you want the nft more after waiting a predetermined amount of time.

this is probably true and what I'd do to create a feeling of artificial scarcity before selling 10000 copies of the same jpeg and cashing out before people realise that they aren't special at all (the nft or the person)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

was searching for a cue cards/flash cards app to help me with my language learning and

https://cuecards.app/

lol who is the target market for this poo poo
Steve Davis or gtfo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

introducing queue cards: the new ntf for places in a queue for a separate ntf

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KnifeWrench posted:

no

everyone in the waiting room is given a random place at the instant it goes live

if you refresh, you lose your place and go to the back of the line
this is probably why nft twitter guy kept getting put at almost the same spot

he wasn't in the waiting room, it was already live, and he just kept opening new windows

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ultrafilter posted:

Nah. Crypto traders contribute to money laundering schemes.

yeah it's basically advanced fee fraud/money mule typology except with fake money

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
WTF NFT

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Boxturret posted:

introducing queue cards: the new ntf for places in a queue for a separate ntf
scanning this post with my queue cat

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

sorry i mean :queuecat

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Khorne posted:

this is probably why nft twitter guy kept getting put at almost the same spot

he wasn't in the waiting room, it was already live, and he just kept opening new windows

that was my first thought: "local idiot enters line, shocked by position at rear"

except his screenshots did include the blurb about exiting the waiting room and getting a random spot

:shrug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Beelzebufo posted:

This is a stage beyond commodity fetishism. I don't think Marx could have envisions something so nakedly stupid and avaricious.
        \

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Simulacra is an NFT art project inspired by Jean Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation. Simulacra refers to representations of objects which may or may not have an original

The concept of 'Simulacra' begs the necessary question, what is it to be “original”? The lack of a conclusive answer evinces the emptiness of originality itself.

There will be a total of 3,447 unique SIMs. Each of them is created by combining parts of well-known painters’ works. Their rarity is further determined by participants, which select up to three special artists whose parts will become rarer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh
https://twitter.com/cnbcmakeit/status/1430538267087224832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

came here just now to post that. imo it's real hosed

edit: this fuckin line

quote:

“I first learned about NFTs earlier this year,” Ahmed, who is based in London, tells CNBC Make It. “I got fascinated with NFTs because you can easily transfer the ownership of an NFT by the blockchain.”

is fuckin meaningless. poor ahmed