Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I thought it was the Dropsy guy whose name is escaping me at the moment
thats everdraed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STONE COLD 64 posted:

thats everdraed.

I looked it up, and yeah...that wasn't everdraed. It was Gaspy Conana. Unless he has 2 SA accounts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1427077214110167041?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had no idea PG-13 was in WCW. I guess not for very long?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I looked it up, and yeah...that wasn't everdraed. It was Gaspy Conana. Unless he has 2 SA accounts.

try looking it up a little harder than the SAclopedia.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Holy moly that site rules.

<in CM Punk chant cadence>
SKULL DOT GIF! SKULL DOT GIF! SKULL DOT GIF!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

STONE COLD 64 posted:

thats everdraed.

someone DMd me this thread on twitter lol. what? no it wasn't. it was me. also everdraed rules but I'm extremely curious, where did you get the idea that he made it?

here's the wikipedia page if you want to check I guess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropsy_(video_game)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i sent the dm and i made dropsy and the other thing

editing this to sincerely say i'm sorry for lying even as a bad joke. i wasn't coerced into apologizing or anything like that and the weird change of pace is because i didn't know the actual creator was very close friends with someone who i am afraid of and i actually quite respect both of the aforementioned beings. i will talk to you later

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 16, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Should have been Owen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So hey I do an old wrestling watchalong thing with friends every weekend and someone asked me if we could do some TV episodes instead of a big show this week and I was going to just pick good episodes of Raw and Nitro and do that, but then I thought, well, it would be neat if they were same night shows.

Are there any standout double feature nites for Raw and Nitro, or do the standouts pretty much always happen on different nights? I suppose I could pick the asses in seats shows?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Early Nitros when Bischoff was aggressively taking shots at the Fed are solid choices. If anything watching the first Nitro and the related Raw would probably be a cool experience.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Renaissance Spam posted:

Early Nitros when Bischoff was aggressively taking shots at the Fed are solid choices. If anything watching the first Nitro and the related Raw would probably be a cool experience.

Importantly the first Nitro was not head to head with live raw, and was not for several weeks.

Raw used to be pre-taped though i forget if thats why for the first few weeks Nitro was effectively unopposed.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Lid posted:

Importantly the first Nitro was not head to head with live raw, and was not for several weeks.

Raw used to be pre-taped though i forget if thats why for the first few weeks Nitro was effectively unopposed.

Damnit I forgot, you're totally right.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah even the one I was thinking is a taped Raw, hence the asses in seats thing. Ideally I think nWo vs Austin era seems the way to go. Though early Austin could be fun, the Hart foundation feud ruled. We don't really watch much WWE in this thing, especially Attitude era.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

"Will things ever be normal again?"
"Maybe by the spring of '22"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9fHMY76io

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

remusclaw posted:

Yeah even the one I was thinking is a taped Raw, hence the asses in seats thing. Ideally I think nWo vs Austin era seems the way to go. Though early Austin could be fun, the Hart foundation feud ruled. We don't really watch much WWE in this thing, especially Attitude era.

These might be your best choices:

https://www.f4wonline.com/bryan-and-vinny-show/bvc-retro-raw-and-nitro-19-years-ago-week-256001

https://www.f4wonline.com/bryan-and-vinny-show/bvc-retro-raw-and-nitro-19-years-ago-week-211826

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That 1999 one is real tempting because I was thinking about that backlash show as a different watch sometime in the near future, as I think I had never seen it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

So hey I do an old wrestling watchalong thing with friends every weekend and someone asked me if we could do some TV episodes instead of a big show this week and I was going to just pick good episodes of Raw and Nitro and do that, but then I thought, well, it would be neat if they were same night shows.

Are there any standout double feature nites for Raw and Nitro, or do the standouts pretty much always happen on different nights? I suppose I could pick the asses in seats shows?

Nitro 100 is a great show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353630267087?hash=item525601a6cf:g:GVkAAOSws7dhHMa7

wowie zowie

edit: only after posting did i see the photoshopped current WWE title so this isnt old as WCW, but im not sure that makes this any better... or significantly worse

Lid fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 21, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So wait a minute. Piper vs Hogan at Starrcade '96. Was that ever for the title or was that being non-title a last minute thing?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

So wait a minute. Piper vs Hogan at Starrcade '96. Was that ever for the title or was that being non-title a last minute thing?

In kayfabe, Piper was the one that set the terms for the match, making him the biggest dumbshit ever.

Who knows with WCW though. Those idiots couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

In kayfabe, Piper was the one that set the terms for the match, making him the biggest dumbshit ever.

Who knows with WCW though. Those idiots couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

God I hate the nWo run...

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
From what I remember of that match watching it live, as soon as Hogan succumbed to the sleeper Tony or someone dismissively said something to the effect of "oh by the way this was a non-title match"

If the WWF caught fire in the mainstream much sooner, WCW would've started sinking also much sooner and faster.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WWF had just god awful storylines at that point.

As far as the nWo, they really jump the shark for me when the Giant joins up with them. It just feels like too much and it only gets worse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

WWF had just god awful storylines at that point.

As far as the nWo, they really jump the shark for me when the Giant joins up with them. It just feels like too much and it only gets worse.

I dunno, I echo Bryan and friends that the War Games match was perfect. Not just for what happened in said match but for how it connected to the last several months of Luger's character and how it played into his subsequent redemption arc. The nWo were just the perfect heels there, driving a wedge between Sting and the rest of WCW, and leaving our heroes totally destroyed.

He kinda gets lost in the shuffle because Sting is the ultimate hero, and also they hosed it up with Luger in the end, but goddamn his character from 96-97 was perfect storytelling. And in a lot of ways it all revolves around that War Games at FB96.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 25, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the 96 war games and storyline around it is absolutely phenomenal. Sting's promo on that ensuing Nitro is an all-timer.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/NoContextFlair/status/1430647501321875461

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Still going through the shows and who the hell taught Benoit to do promos like this? You'd think literally anything would have worn off on him being with the Horsemen. Even Mongo is awesomely terrible on the mic.

EDIT: Also I love whatever this music is they had assigned to Jericho for a while when he first showed up. It sounds like some kind of 80's sports montage music.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 26, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TheKingslayer posted:

Still going through the shows and who the hell taught Benoit to do promos like this? You'd think literally anything would have worn off on him being with the Horsemen. Even Mongo is awesomely terrible on the mic.

EDIT: Also I love whatever this music is they had assigned to Jericho for a while when he first showed up. It sounds like some kind of 80's sports montage music.

I remember reading that it literally was one of those production package tunes that literally was used on sportscenter or some poo poo, like booker t's theme

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheKingslayer posted:

It was so intensely beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNkI1bBSHI

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of Booker T's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiFeiEd1Lo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would also swear the music in the '96 WWF hotline ads is the same music Lex used for a chunk in WCW.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fuuuuck that hits right in the ol' nostalgia cortex

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when Jericho finally does actually retire, Tony needs to find that production music and use it for a montage commemorating Jericho's career

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

He said he heard it watching nba post game or something and found out it was owned by turner and called basketball highlights #12 (or whatever number).

This was after he started and was using the music for his entrance.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

The American Dream posted:

He said he heard it watching nba post game or something and found out it was owned by turner and called basketball highlights #12 (or whatever number).

This was after he started and was using the music for his entrance.

I thought that was the Pearl Jam rip off theme.

Pretty sure he hated his first theme and picked baseball highlights #whatever to replace it.

His first theme is an actual song by a band that wasn't made for wrestling and the cover art is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAKglExkRyA

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zombie Lemur posted:

Pretty sure he hated his first theme and picked baseball highlights #whatever to replace it.

His first theme is an actual song by a band that wasn't made for wrestling and the cover art is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAKglExkRyA
This is the baseball highlights theme though.

The Pearl Jam ripoff was generic jobber music until Jericho turned heel and made it his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why the Hell did they have Glacier give a low key “I’m just a guy who’s really into martial arts” promo before his first match