Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Doctor Shaq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

also this episode was great, everyone did their thing very well

season really does have season 1 vibes, it's much more fun and relaxed than things have been in a long time, even though everyone's way more in character than they were back in those early days

I agree, they're actually acting out their characters being serious during moments that call for it, yet it never becomes maudlin or boring, or goes too long without a joke. Very promising start.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Justin’s realization about how thoroughly they’d beaten Griffin into submission with the Littlest Baby thing was a joy to listen to. This season has been super fun so far.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was a bit nervous about this season after Griffin setup an obvious ship combat tutorial mission and immediately they all wanted to negotiate a peaceful resolution with the pirates. It felt like Graduation again where no one wants to be even a little bad. Instead of like Balance where they were not afraid to murder a lot of guys if the need arose. It's boring if DnD doesn't have fights!

It was good to hear this week when it was very clear they wanted to find and kill the guy who betrayed them.

Then I got a bad feeling again when Travis wanted to upgrade the pirates to series regulars immediately. At least Justin seemed to be against it.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 22, 2021

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yeah Justin really needed to create some dipshits in the city to make sure there was room in this essentially post scarcity commune. Founders Wake would be incredibly boring as a setting without that influence.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

timp posted:

I loving knew he’d be a catfish, and I was just waiting for the name at that point. The recycled Fantasy Costco moniker fully took me by surprise though

I just finished the episode, and this was exactly my experience.

I stopped listening to Graduation pretty early. Did Travis have a character that followed this pattern, or has it only been a thing in Griffin’s campaigns?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Diabolik900 posted:

I just finished the episode, and this was exactly my experience.

I stopped listening to Graduation pretty early. Did Travis have a character that followed this pattern, or has it only been a thing in Griffin’s campaigns?

Graduation had a double-wide store run by a cat and mouse named Tom and Jerry, also I think they only went to that store twice in the entire campaign.

E: Justin saying on this week's MBMBAM that he hates the smell of flowers because he associates them with funerals is both the saddest and maybe the most psychotic thing I think I've heard on this show.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 23, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It has officially, finally, finally dawned on Justin that fast food companies routinely do incredibly stupid poo poo because doing incredibly stupid poo poo in hopes of it going viral (and giving you free advertising) is cheaper than traditional advertising

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Froghammer posted:

It has officially, finally, finally dawned on Justin that fast food companies routinely do incredibly stupid poo poo because doing incredibly stupid poo poo in hopes of it going viral (and giving you free advertising) is cheaper than traditional advertising

They've talked about this countless times before.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Did he still play the ad?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ahahahahahahaha

holy loving poo poo, that's a stupid callback

I loving love it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Justin's Guy Fieri needs sugar water

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gotta post some live for Sawbones as its really the only McElroy content I listen to anymore (incidentally my introduction to the brand as well)

The past few episodes have been pretty good and the latest on thalidomide educated me on a drug that I had heard about but had no idea what it really was or what it did. Good podcast. That said "pregnant people" will never not sound weird to me especially when referring to things that happened on the 50s and 60s. Just say women.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Previa_fun posted:

Gotta post some live for Sawbones as its really the only McElroy content I listen to anymore (incidentally my introduction to the brand as well)

The past few episodes have been pretty good and the latest on thalidomide educated me on a drug that I had heard about but had no idea what it really was or what it did. Good podcast. That said "pregnant people" will never not sound weird to me especially when referring to things that happened on the 50s and 60s. Just say women.

It's an issue of consistency, and it's not like there weren't trans people before 2010.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:shobon: it just hits my ear weird idk. Like I don't hear it even in other medical contexts but I live in the south and am a dummy.

I thought it was more a "mcelroys afraid of their fans" thing but maybe not

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Maybe one day you'll get used to it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

AzureFlame posted:

Maybe one day you'll get used to it

Probably

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Previa_fun posted:

:shobon: it just hits my ear weird idk. Like I don't hear it even in other medical contexts but I live in the south and am a dummy.

I thought it was more a "mcelroys afraid of their fans" thing but maybe not
It will feel weird at first! The vast majority of pregnant people over the course of history have been cis women, so why bother saying "pregnant people" or "people with uteruses"? I get why that can seem like an awkward affectation.

Well, as a trans guy, I generally expect to be misgendered in conversations about reproductive health. I am used to people using "women" in that context because I'm used to people forgetting that we, people assigned female at birth who don't identify as women, exist and can get pregnant. (Some of us, especially trans men, do not want to ever get pregnant, but others do. These are individual things.) I'm used to people forgetting that there are women, cis and trans, who don't have uteruses/can't get pregnant. A lot of the time, I'm okay with just letting it go because I think the focus of the conversation sometimes being on cisgender women, who do make up the vast majority of people who have uteruses or carry children, is fine.

But it feels a little lovely every time, because it essentially says, "having a uterus means you're a woman" and therefore either disrespects our identities or says we don't exist. So someone going out of their way to specify what they actually mean--it's irrelevant what gender someone identifies as if what we're actually talking about is biologically carrying children--means a lot. It means they recognize this problem of AFAB non-women being excluded and ignored from important conversations about our health and bodies, and have gone out of their way to address that.

So while I understand the feeling that it's odd or tortured to say these things, the purpose of it is to be respectful, and it makes a big difference to people like me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Think of those drug commercials that are like "Do not use _______ if you are pregnant or may become pregnant". That's saying it in a completely nongendered way, and commercials have said it that way for decades, not to be woke or politically correct, but to be medically precise. Because your gender doesn't have anything to do with your ability to become pregnant, your biology does.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FYI it's worth listening to the first ad this week if you usually skip the money zone.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Think of those drug commercials that are like "Do not use _______ if you are pregnant or may become pregnant".

"if you may become pregnant" has always struck me as kind of funny though, because it's like "hey, if you like to gently caress, don't use this".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've come to call them preggy-folk.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I prefer “host vessels” tbh. The notion of gender != biology is pretty new in the social consciousness so it’s going to be weird for a while. Just do your best, it’s all that can be done.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IIRC Thalidomide’s side effects can also manifest if you impregnate someone while taking it. Pretty hosed up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you're confused about the subject of forum drama from this past week, mcelroy adjacent (well.. they were on it once or twice and so were Polygon people) Drawfee has you covered (animated by deepblueink who animates the MBMBAM shorts) (that's the main reason i'm posting it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMr_gs29o8

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Pekora was the fourth brother all along.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Warbird posted:

I prefer “host vessels” tbh. The notion of gender != biology is pretty new in the social consciousness so it’s going to be weird for a while. Just do your best, it’s all that can be done.

My best friend, Ken Bone, likes to use the term Human Submarines

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ariong posted:

IIRC Thalidomide’s side effects can also manifest if you impregnate someone while taking it. Pretty hosed up.

:stare:

e: people containing people.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 26, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

if you're confused about the subject of forum drama from this past week, mcelroy adjacent (well.. they were on it once or twice and so were Polygon people) Drawfee has you covered (animated by deepblueink who animates the MBMBAM shorts) (that's the main reason i'm posting it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMr_gs29o8

this was very good. i liked this a lot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ travis suggesting they use all the extra money on helping whoever that dude was and justin immediately getting extremely salty

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Since this is the de facto Polygon thread I just wanted to put out a PSA that they’re streaming Chivalry 2 on twitch and it’s almost as good as classic awful squad

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Justin just wants to have fun for once, and not cultivate another fan favorite McElroy character

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

lol @ travis suggesting they use all the extra money on helping whoever that dude was and justin immediately getting extremely salty

Yeah, that was a great decision. First we got exasperated Justin, then we got a great character moment (Devo and Amber explaining their different perspectives on charity), then we got a great comic payoff (Amber's Place.) Very promising!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Catching up...

Can't wait for him to become a fan favorite. And the Zoidberg of this ship crew.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I remember a while back Justin was on a different podcast saying they may stop Monster Factory, was that confirmed they were gonna do it?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Good Listener posted:

I remember a while back Justin was on a different podcast saying they may stop Monster Factory, was that confirmed they were gonna do it?

They’re not going to make them just to make them if there aren’t any interesting character creators in games is the gist

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

inferis posted:

They’re not going to make them just to make them if there aren’t any interesting character creators in games is the gist

That makes sense to me. Even though some of their stupid experimental ones have been some of my recent faves like the wood working and the gymnastics one. Still hoping they finish CK3 too.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Jim Jonman is among their greatest creations and it's disappointing that more sports games don't have that kind of character creation. I want a series of the boys learning various sports with Ol' Jim and maybe Daz

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I don't think they'll ever do another one unless something absurd comes out that they're already playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Gotta be honest, i use to come here for the hot takes about graduation being not great and then eventually stopped coming cause i stopped listening then i saw ethersea and said 'sure why not' and i really like it. It's goofy when it needs to be and not so up its own rear end. It's fun and Justin is so good at being the dm.