Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I understand that people want their kids back in school for a plethora of reasons. It must be extremely hard for them and I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. I honestly feel privileged.

but...

QuarkJets posted:

Remote learning or death, hmm this is such a difficult choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

redgubbinz posted:

"The travelers view the radon exposure as low-dose radiation therapy for a long list of health issues. But the Environmental Protection Agency and the World Health Organization, among others, blame the gas as the second-leading cause of lung cancer."
These two sentences. Just look at them.

Can't get COVID if you're already dead from lung cancer. :unsmigghh:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

Remote learning or death, hmm this is such a difficult choice

Who says that’s the choice?

The research says covid risk in kids is low and manageable while school closures and remote learning also do measurable and lasting harm.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yes. "Caution urged." Not "DON'T loving USE RADIATION YOU MORONS."

Reminds me of the random White House/CDC rep who was put on the spot by the media the day after Trump had suggested injecting bleach into people's lungs and the best he could say was something like "Uhhhhhhhhhh I'd advise people speak to their chosen medical professional before taking action :sweatdrop: "

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

A Fancy Hat posted:

Last Thanksgiving my father-in-law begged us to come up and visit him and his new wife. We said no, we just didn't feel safe doing it.

We finally relented and met up with him a few weeks later. Spent a few hours outside by a bonfire. His wife was supposedly working and wasn't there, so it was just 3 of us.

Christmas comes along and he's asking us to come up again. We again say we don't feel safe.

"Well my wife and I had covid when you were over last time and you were fine."

Turns out his wife was sick in bed with covid when we were up there last time and he also tested positive. That would have been great to know considering my wife and I were both going into the office for work at that point.

Your wife's family is a piece of work, dude

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

asdf32 posted:

The research says covid risk in kids is low and manageable while school closures and remote learning also do measurable and lasting harm.

Could've done some hybrid learning, or opening schools twice a week to reduce travel, or allowing a smaller amounts of kids into a class, open air classrooms only, or a mix of all these, etc etc etc

But no, let's throw children into the grinder, see what happens in 10 years!

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Could've done some hybrid learning, or opening schools twice a week to reduce travel, or allowing a smaller amounts of kids into a class, open air classrooms only, or a mix of all these, etc etc etc

But no, let's throw children into the grinder, see what happens in 10 years!

What do you think closing schools was? The largest scale child social experiment on record with known and measurable short term and long term harm with a huge dose of uncertainty on top.

It made sense when covid was new. Now we have had enough time to research the risks. And the answers are consistent and clear.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

asdf32 posted:

Lmao he's back everybody

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There are ways to minimize (not eliminate) risk among kids, but most schools are doing very few, if any, if those things. Masks at most, and often lovely masks at that.

It’s another reason why the “pandemic of the unvaccinated” messaging is so myopic and ghoulish: ALL KIDS UNDER 12 ARE UNVAXXED GAHGHHHHHGHGHHHH

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

governments should have spent the last 18 months funding upgrades of ventilation in schools, coordinated renting third-party facilities to allow for more spread out classes, and improved a hybrid learning environment. but that costs money, and people love giving lip service to funding education but hate actually doing it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Doing a search for “ventilator” on Facebook and reading the stories and associated replies is mind blowing.

The stories are 99 percent from the Southeastern U.S. Tennessee Alabama Mississippi etc. You can read hundreds of posts about prayers, ivermectin, HCQ, Gods glory etc without ever seeing a mention of vaccines.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

asdf32 posted:

What do you think closing schools was? The largest scale child social experiment on record with known and measurable short term and long term harm with a huge dose of uncertainty on top.

It made sense when covid was new. Now we have had enough time to research the risks. And the answers are consistent and clear.

Ugh, ok, I'll bite

Let's assume Covid is "not new" (even though the big deal this year is a completely new variant, and the threat of new variants looms every day)

Let's also imagine you somehow know the future risks of letting a ton of children(and teachers...) be fully exposed to infection, because "we've had time to research" (you don't)

What would be the harm in doing a "reduced return to school" with some or all of the measures I mentioned?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

asdf32 posted:

So whadya think Johnny? Are we gonna die from a school shooting this year or a deadly disease?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol this is like the 3rd time this guy has been probed for advocating "kids love covid actually, it's like a refreshing spring breeze to them."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"not going to school though, studies over the past year have shown, results in an upwards of 50% fatality rate. zoom emits child killing 'voice to skull' technology"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"pray for our little tommy, he didn't get to socialize with his friends at school and has reverted into a feral mole person that attacks his reflection in a mirror since he doesn't know what human beings look like"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

"pray for our little tommy, he didn't get to socialize with his friends at school and has reverted into a feral mole person that attacks his reflection in a mirror since he doesn't know what human beings look like"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just build educational games into $RBLX ok

as a shareholder i think its the right thing to do

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I do not understand why my child, who I refuse to speak to, is having all of these struggles with online school. Every day I come home and ignore him, and yet he still refuses to do better.

Maybe more Trump flags in the front yard will help.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I do not know why all this mental harm is being done to my child. It must be because he's been taken away from school.

It couldn't possibly be an illusory correlation from experiencing a global plague.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 26, 2021

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I wonder what the "pre public school days were the glory days" and "kids are being ruined by lack of public school" overlap is.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Decon posted:

I wonder what the "pre public school days were the glory days" and "kids are being ruined by lack of public school" overlap is.

This liberal indoctrination facilities are too WOKE, I don't want my kids going there.

But goddamn my kids need to go there WITHOUT A MASK.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

The comet can't come quick enough. Put this planet out of its fuckin misery.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
my daughter is 3 and in preschool. Masks recommended but we don't have her wearing one. Why, well most kids aren't wearing them so she really won't be protected and they don't distance at that age. In addition, they take the mask off to eat and to sleep which is probably like 3+ hours a day so really if a kid has covid the partial mask wearing aint gonna do crap.

Considering pulling her from school until she's vaccinated but that has its downsides of course. She gets her vitamin d drops daily and is vaccinated against other illnesses so hopefully her immune system will have no problem. She's been sick 6 times since she started school in April or so but now she's been good for weeks...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Lol

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

The comet can't come quick enough. Put this planet out of its fuckin misery.

Why use a comet when covid IS the cure you wished for?

Planet earth shall continue.

That aside could anyone recommend a decent half mask respirator that would be available in the UK (non Amazon)?

I'm thinking of venturing forth into the uncharted lands to see Dune in a cinema, i want to feel human again for a few hours.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

WE CHILDREN OF THE ATOM NOW

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So, uh, about that batch of Moderna that was just pulled from Japan, any scuttlebutt on what it was contaminated with?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm blessed that my family understands the risks of covid and is double vaxxed and getting the boosters in October. I doubly blessed to currently be living in Quebec which is insitituting vaccine passports. However my family is still mostly in the US so that still puts them at some risk. My sister has to go back to teaching undergrads in person next week, I've recommended a respirator to her but I dunno if she'll be comfortable looking like a cyberpunk.

I was also thinking of buying a respirator if I have to go back to working in an office and possibly to see Dune in theaters but maybe Quebec's case numbers will be so low by that point that there won't be a big threat? Haha I can dream

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

:shuckyes:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Arbite posted:

So, uh, about that batch of Moderna that was just pulled from Japan, any scuttlebutt on what it was contaminated with?

Nope. No clue what happened. But I can't wait to have this article fling in my face by some wingnut as "proof" that I'm gonna keel over dead at the snap of Bill Gates's fingers... even though I got Pfizer.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Why do you communicate with this person at all?

As soon as someone says "I dabble in the alt theories", it's time to write them off; they're not living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I too dabble in the alt theories*

*wtf does that mean?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Rad-daddio posted:

I too dabble in the alt theories*

*wtf does that mean?

It's pathetic loser for "I'm a pathetic loser that uses harmful conspiracy theories for escapism instead of TV and video games like a sensible person."

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Decon posted:

It's pathetic loser for "I'm a pathetic loser that uses harmful conspiracy theories for escapism instead of TV and video games like a sensible person."

ah, big dick orgone energy.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Did the internet make more people conspiracy theorists or did the it just give a platform for the small percentage of crazies we've always had?

I ask with sincerity because the movie The Shining taught me furries existed long before the internet.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
first the latter, then the former

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Did the internet make more people conspiracy theorists or did the it just give a platform for the small percentage of crazies we've always had?

I ask with sincerity because the movie The Shining taught me furries existed long before the internet.

Internet gives The Crazy a potential r0 of infinity when curated for maximum mimetic transmissibility

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I love this argument because you can apply it to literally anything

"Billy why didn't you take out the garbage?"
"I did mom, but big tech and the FCC are hiding the truth about it."
"I'm looking in the garbage can right now and it's full of garbage."
"That's what they WANT you to think. Do your own research!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

asdf32 do you have some sort of illness that compels you to post bullshit in covid-19 threads? This is literally how you got banned from the D&D thread