Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's me, the idiot who got all 100 cards the first time they played through ff9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can tell no one in QA gave a poo poo about Tetra Master because if you somehow reach the highest collector level the game glitches out and doesn't award you the highest title.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Vil posted:

Generally speaking, speedrun objectives and completionist objectives should remain mutually exclusive, because you run into poo poo like this when they're not. Speedruns by their nature will skip or miss things; completionism by its nature will take a while.
100% speedruns can still be entertaining, but usually Any% is way cooler since you're just breaking the game to skip as much as possible.

I went to check the speedrun.com board for FFIX and they don't even have a 100% category. Cowards.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Excalibur 2 isn't even really a big deal in the remaster. The real hell for completionists in FFIX is the jump rope minigame and the cup guessing minigame, which is borderline genuinely impossible.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hello, fellow idiot, its me the idiot who still has his 2000 or whenever it was completed save file. :colbert:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are the Romancing SaGa games for SNES worth revisiting?

I personally fell in love with snes RS1, but ff1 nes, ff2 nes, and ff11 are my favorite final fantasies so do with that information what you will

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Excalibur 2 isn't even really a big deal in the remaster. The real hell for completionists in FFIX is the jump rope minigame and the cup guessing minigame, which is borderline genuinely impossible.

You can at least set up an autohotkey script for jump rope (and hippo racing later). The cup game is sadistic though. You have a 1 in 19,683 chance of getting it per attempt. There's probably a way to abuse the RNG seed, but I'm not aware of any.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

You can at least set up an autohotkey script for jump rope (and hippo racing later). The cup game is sadistic though. You have a 1 in 19,683 chance of getting it per attempt. There's probably a way to abuse the RNG seed, but I'm not aware of any.

The only way I ever saw anyone "cheat" it was to use recording software to slow the framerate down so much that you could visually track the cup, which is pretty silly.

Even worse for the console players who have to do that + jump roping unassisted.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
When was there a cup guessing minigame in IX? I remember the awful Hippaul Racing and Jump Rope, but I must've blocked out the cup minigame entirely...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

When was there a cup guessing minigame in IX? I remember the awful Hippaul Racing and Jump Rope, but I must've blocked out the cup minigame entirely...

It's in Alexandria during your second visit, the Nero brothers do a cup shuffling game and there's an achievement for guessing it right 9 times in a row. It gets progressively faster each time and past like the 4th it's so fast that it's physically impossible to track it, meaning you need to get a lucky with a 1 in 3 choice 5 times in a row. It's...technically possible, if you don't mind wasting hundreds of hours of your life, I guess.

In theory you could probably just film the screen with your phone and slow it down enough with some software to make it bearable, but back when it released I think it was pretty much impossible.

The only prize for getting it all right is like 25,000 gil so it mostly seems like a cruel joke they put in there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It's in Alexandria during your second visit, the Nero brothers do a cup shuffling game and there's an achievement for guessing it right 9 times in a row. It gets progressively faster each time and past like the 4th it's so fast that it's physically impossible to track it, meaning you need to get a lucky with a 1 in 3 choice 5 times in a row. It's...technically possible, if you don't mind wasting hundreds of hours of your life, I guess.

In theory you could probably just film the screen with your phone and slow it down enough with some software to make it bearable, but back when it released I think it was pretty much impossible.

The only prize for getting it all right is like 25,000 gil so it mostly seems like a cruel joke they put in there.

For bullshit achievements like that, I would suggest steam achievement manager. Can unlock individual achievements, 100% the game or even reset achievements to unearned if you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide if FF9 just has a bunch of cool little things to stumble on to make the world feel more colorful and alive, and as a side effect is tailor-made to murder completionist players, or if it was specifically designed to murder completionist players and as a side effect the world feels really colorful and alive with things to stumble on.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zil posted:

For bullshit achievements like that, I would suggest steam achievement manager. Can unlock individual achievements, 100% the game or even reset achievements to unearned if you want.

I bought the remaster on console so I just have to live with that and the jump rope trophy taunting me forever :negative:

My favorite mainline FF game is the only one that even my horrible completionist urge will not overcome.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

I can't decide if FF9 just has a bunch of cool little things to stumble on to make the world feel more colorful and alive, and as a side effect is tailor-made to murder completionist players, or if it was specifically designed to murder completionist players and as a side effect the world feels really colorful and alive with things to stumble on.

it was to sell strategy guides

but the ff9 strategy guide was infamously awful so lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The FF9 strategy guide should be put into a museum. It was literally a 15 dollar IOU.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jose Valasquez posted:

100% speedruns can still be entertaining, but usually Any% is way cooler since you're just breaking the game to skip as much as possible.

I went to check the speedrun.com board for FFIX and they don't even have a 100% category. Cowards.

Low% is also great just to see how badly you have to twist a game in order to skip even a single item.

Like using the rupee pickup cutscene in Twilight Princess to clip through a door and skip a key, as Link's idle animation for it isn't perfectly aligned and will move slightly forward on each loop.

This takes several hours per clip, due to how slowly this moves Link.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SettingSun posted:

The FF9 strategy guide should be put into a museum. It was literally a 15 dollar IOU.

Still bitter about that PlayOnline bullshit. Especially since I didn't have reliable internet at the time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
ff9 slander in this forum should be bannable

it's perfect

ok maybe battles are a LITTLE slow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think often on the nero family sidequest only being discovered in 2013. FF9 was a real one

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The strategy guide is so awful good. "There's a side quest here. Learn what it is at PlayOnline." Every page.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There was a HINT here, it's gone now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SettingSun posted:

The strategy guide is so awful good. "There's a side quest here. Learn what it is at PlayOnline." Every page.

lmao

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Im starting to see why GameFAQS got so popular

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I bought the remaster on console so I just have to live with that and the jump rope trophy taunting me forever :negative:

My favorite mainline FF game is the only one that even my horrible completionist urge will not overcome.

Yeah, I love FF9, but I think VIII was the last game where I did most everything. The IX racing/jump rope/cups/pleasing nobles/Excalibur II stuff was a big NOPE, and the trend just continued in FFX where the thought of grinding Monster Arena bosses for hours to fill out sphere grids was not even briefly entertained in my mind.

I think the following (singleplayer) games went back to a reasonable level of obnoxious sidequests, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If 10 gets flagged then 12 and 13 do too. Attacking the superboss all day while you walk away with gambits set up or grinding trapezohedrons were both questionable.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

zedprime posted:

If 10 gets flagged then 12 and 13 do too. Attacking the superboss all day while you walk away with gambits set up or grinding trapezohedrons were both questionable.

Well, 10's problem wasn't JUST the grinding monster arena bosses forever; it's the fact that that came after a deluge of thoroughly unpleasant other sidequests, like Chocobo Racing, Lightning Dodging, Butterfly Catching, and Blitzball grinding. After those, my patience was DONE.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 26, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Snow Cone Capone posted:

And the funny part is even that isn't enough to get the highest rank of Card Master (which glitches out the game as was mentioned earlier), because in order to get the highest rank not only do you have to have all 100 cards, they all have to have different arrow configurations.

FFIX is absolute insanity.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FFX side quests were designed to be guide-proof. Sure the guide will tell you that you need to dodge 100 lightning bolts or play Blitzball for half a day but have fun doing it!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zakharov posted:

FFX side quests were designed to be guide-proof. Sure the guide will tell you that you need to dodge 100 lightning bolts or play Blitzball for half a day but have fun doing it!

Hey, in my last FFX run I managed something like 115 or so!

Sadly they want 200.

So yeah, gently caress that and basically every other side thing in FFX besides monster capturing and the Omega Ruins.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Dodging lightning is easy w/no encounters and that one tower that always flashes at the same time. Dodging birds on a chocobo is however impossible.

Also the battles in FF9 are a little slow like Hitler is a little racist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think often on the nero family sidequest only being discovered in 2013. FF9 was a real one

Yeah, as much as it's a completionist's nightmare, I love how alive the world feels and how it seems like there's always some weird thing to stumble on that I didn't see on a previous playthrough (because I'm not a completionist). There are all kinds of little side quests and minigames that the guide doesn't even really mention and that don't even really give any rewards. It rules.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I still don't think the butterflies are that bad, they are definitely irritating and the camera doesn't do it any favors (so many attempts failed because the butterfly was actually flying further back on the path than I thought) but it still doesn't take me too long to get it and be done, not that I really need to because I don't ever use Kimahri, but hey.

Chocobo racing can gently caress right off though. I've looked at everyone's hints and tips videos and I just can't understand how they're pulling it off so quickly. Especially since trying to steer the chocobo feels like driving a car without power steering.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With 20 years of retrospective, FF10 chocobo time trial is my favorite FF minigame.

E. I realized there's a small heresy here, Triple Triad is the best mini game. Chocobo time trial is the best mini game that isn't cards.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The chocobos weren't that bad for me. Tough but I got it eventually. I was never, ever able to beat lightning dodging.

I've ranted about this ITT before but I really don't understand the Dark Aeons. Why would you drop in multiple bosses that require you to be ultra-powerful to defeat, some of which you can stumble on by chance just trying to explore? Even the easiest one, Dark Valefor, will spank you if you're not overleveled.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still don't think the butterflies are that bad, they are definitely irritating and the camera doesn't do it any favors (so many attempts failed because the butterfly was actually flying further back on the path than I thought) but it still doesn't take me too long to get it and be done, not that I really need to because I don't ever use Kimahri, but hey.

Chocobo racing can gently caress right off though. I've looked at everyone's hints and tips videos and I just can't understand how they're pulling it off so quickly. Especially since trying to steer the chocobo feels like driving a car without power steering.

Well, there's your problem. You left in the base fluids that the bird came with instead of replacing them with some fresh steering and some new oil. A little maintinence goes a long way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zakharov posted:

The chocobos weren't that bad for me. Tough but I got it eventually. I was never, ever able to beat lightning dodging.

I've ranted about this ITT before but I really don't understand the Dark Aeons. Why would you drop in multiple bosses that require you to be ultra-powerful to defeat, some of which you can stumble on by chance just trying to explore? Even the easiest one, Dark Valefor, will spank you if you're not overleveled.

Also if you missed anything first time round the bosses are probably blocking access to some of the thing you'd need to become powerful enough to defeat them

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SettingSun posted:

I think the only reason these people were never sued is because nobody wanted to admit buying this "guide".

The SaGa Frontier guide was just full of outright wrong information too, iirc, but it taught me about Takonomics.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

welcome posted:

Dodging lightning is easy w/no encounters and that one tower that always flashes at the same time. Dodging birds on a chocobo is however impossible.

Also the battles in FF9 are a little slow like Hitler is a little racist.

Yeah weren't they capped at like 12 fps?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah weren't they capped at like 12 fps?

I think it's more the fifteen seconds of the camera spinning around the battlefield you have to sit through before you can do anything in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My favorite is staring at a black screen for multiple seconds while the game tries to load the battlefield.