Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

ChubbyChecker posted:

why post stills of animation?

post gifs at least

Quiet, he's arting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gifs would ruin the mood imo. This is a scholarly deconstruction, not some tawdry youtube guide.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, an old-fashioned Let's Watch is way better, shut up ChubbyChecker and enjoy the ride

Also I just realized that Bakshi is such a product of the 1970s. His rise, freakiness and horniness couldn't have been possible or even tolerated in any other decade. What a wild and hosed up time in America.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

post gifs at least

The animation doesn't look good.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

post gifs at least

op is legit doing a good fumetti with the screencaps here

plz do fire and ice next

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the cool world was up to its usual bullshit, innocent citizens being squashed by falling anvils and so on. nobody seemed to give a gently caress about any of it, so why should brad pitt?

meanwhile, jack paced alone in the desert, unwashed and tormented and haunted by the disembodied voice of holli would.

he went home to his goon cave and tried to rest, but rest wouldn't come.

"no, no, no, no, no!" he cried as his anguish grew to such levels that it tore a hole in reality.

he plunged to the icy cool world pavement amidst a trio of singing cartoon vikings. they bounced out of sight on impact, never to be heard from again.

as he regained his equilibrium, jack heard the unsettling sound of joyful laughter.

holli's horrible goons zoomed out of the highway painted on the wall with the blue one tied to the front of the car like a sacrificial offering. they were heading straight for jack.

jack screamed!

death seemed inevitable

but the goons swerved aside at the last moment.

it was not jack's time. not yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barbecue at the folks posted:

For some reason both rotoscoping and Bakshi's style of mixing animation with live action make my skin crawl. I think it's the uncanny valley effect combined with the shakiness of the trippy, dreamlike end result that make me a bit physically ill and ruin his films for me. a let's watch thread is a good way of gawking at the weirdness, lol

I agree but it's creepy in a good way imo

At least, some of the time

I think it works well in Wizards and the new final(final) Evangelion movie and probably less well in Bakshi's LotR

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I agree but it's creepy in a good way imo

At least, some of the time

I think it works well in Wizards and the new final(final) Evangelion movie and probably less well in Bakshi's LotR

they say that bakshi's LotR is the product of bakshi running out of money, but I think we all know the truth is that it's a product of bakshi running out of horny

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

"glad ya dropped in!" honked the blue thing, and the goons all guffawed horribly.

elsewhere, brad pitt and nails drove through an endless thicket of twisted ink buildings beneath a polluted cartoon sky.

at last they reached their destination.

they had arrived at the house of holli would.

holli's magical shapeshifting doorknob denied them entrance.

as they deliberated, pallid ectoplasmic heads and the translucent forms of huddled figures hovered in their air over the throbbing matte streets.

rather than negotiate with the doorknob, brad pitt and nails decided to climb the building.

the doodle gargoyles commented on their progress as they passed.

soon they were so high above the earth that the building was wreathed in cloud.

brad pitt dangled precariously over the neon abyss as nails burst through the clouds.

nails became suddenly distressed. "i'm allergic to clouds," he said, trying and failing to hold back a sneeze.

brad pitt moaned with terror as he faced his own mortality.

nails sneezed so hard that he threw himself backward at high velocity and dropped the rope.

brad pitt plunged screaming to his doom.

by some miracle, nails caught himself by the neck on a protruding window ledge with the rope, like a noose. this did not kill him due to his extraordinary biology.

once again, brad pitt had stared death in the face and lived.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The animation doesn't look good.

that's another reason why it should be posted

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

What was this, some lovely trick they pulled to help get this movie made?

"It'll be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Because we got a totally hot cartoon babe! And uh, cartoon characters you'll actually care about, like Daffy Duck!"

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 26, 2021

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Isn't Brad Pitt the first and only "noid" ever in Cool World before that other rear end in a top hat showed up? Did the doodles make up the "Noids don't have sex with doodles" rule just to poo poo on him personally?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok this movie is poo poo and has some of the most pathetic outright text I've ever seen, but those building landscapes are legit pretty Cool.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Applewhite posted:

Isn't Brad Pitt the first and only "noid" ever in Cool World before that other rear end in a top hat showed up? Did the doodles make up the "Noids don't have sex with doodles" rule just to poo poo on him personally?

he seems to be the only one enforcing it or caring about it so I think Brad Pitt is just tormenting himself and dragging this other guy into his sick game

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was never 100% on why noids and doodles can't gently caress, and I have seen this movie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bakshi and David Lynch should have made a movie together

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

Ok this movie is poo poo and has some of the most pathetic outright text I've ever seen, but those building landscapes are legit pretty Cool.

This is what's annoying me about Cool World. The cityscapes are really good but they're wasted on this lovely movie.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

So is there like, any good modern version of the Pygmalion story? It seems like sexually frustrated artists maybe aren't the best ones to be telling the story about falling in love with their own creations.

Well, there's actual Pygmalion the way Shaw wrote it, where Eliza dumps Henry Higgns's mysogynist rear end for Freddie Whatsisname instead of that My Fair Lady stuff. Or is that not modern enough?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
We definitely need more threads like this. it is amazing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gleebster posted:

Well, there's actual Pygmalion the way Shaw wrote it, where Eliza dumps Henry Higgns's mysogynist rear end for Freddie Whatsisname instead of that My Fair Lady stuff. Or is that not modern enough?
I don't think it's fair to say Shaw should have anticipated a world where thousands of grown-rear end men are sexually arrested by furry anime tiddies

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I don't think it's fair to say Shaw should have anticipated a world where thousands of grown-rear end men are sexually arrested by furry anime tiddies

If Shaw were alive today he'd be cranking his hog to Kim Basinger's cartoon rack alongside Ralph Bakshi and we all know it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I suspect a bunch of sexually frustrated artists are not the best people to tell the story about obsessing and falling in love with their sexually idealized creations

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

I suspect a bunch of sexually frustrated artists are not the best people to tell the story about obsessing and falling in love with their sexually idealized creations

counterpoint: who else would bother to tell such a story?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mind the walrus posted:

There's something top tier hilarious about that coming up. You can clearly tell who Bakshi/art director David Bomba have absolutely zero, zilch, negative infinity interest in loving, thank you very much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it Brad Pitt? Is the rule because humans are too imperfect to gently caress their scribblings?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cool world, cool thread

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Bloop posted:

Bakshi and David Lynch should have made a movie together

Talk about a missed opportunity

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
did Bakshi design Birdo? He seems to draw a lot of characters with essentially the same head shape/features

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

did Bakshi design Birdo? He seems to draw a lot of characters with essentially the same head shape/features

He just imagines everyone as a blow up doll

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Prof. Crocodile posted:

counterpoint: who else would bother to tell such a story?

I say we call this the Pygmalion paradox.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

shut up about the bad animation, this bit right here is brilliant, animation coming out of the painted backdrop

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I wonder how Kim Basinger felt when after goung through all the motion capture/VA/rotoscoping work, they felt the need to like double, maybe triple, the size of her titties for the sexy cartoon version of her.

Was that explained ahead of time? Did she wear a prosthesis for the motion capture? Am I underestimating the size of her actual boobs?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
At the time I saw this Courtney Love was the person I thought most closely resembled the drawing

Drawing an actress, especially in this style, barely makes sense because it’s so unrealistic looking. Bakshi could have just drawn the sexiest woman he could think of, I don’t see Kim basinger in that at all :shrug:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
It looks like Basinger wasn't even the rotoscope model, which makes sense. You wouldn't usually pay an A-list actor to do something like that, back in the day. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0421177/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14 That seems to be the start and finish of Jenine Jennings credits, though.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Was the thread always titled 'tail' instead of 'tale'? :confused:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Was the thread always titled 'tail' instead of 'tale'? :confused:

Hello, fellow Mandela goon!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Das Boo posted:

Hello, fellow Mandela goon!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pls spoiler tag all your posts, OP.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Imagine how many buckets of cum were spilled on the animation room's floor during the rotoscoping months (years?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Some say the cum still flows