Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Man that Baru cover is... not representative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

packetmantis posted:

It's a cool cover though, that's one of the reasons I bought it. I know we're not supposed to judge books by their covers but an attractive cover is definitely a plus for me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think it’s cause the masks they wear in Falcrest are porcelain according to the book. So it’s her features but in cracked porcelain. I dunno if the features themselves aren’t representative of the kind of island Baru’s people are supposed to be from.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sci fi books have a long tradition of covers having very little to do with their contents.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

packetmantis posted:

You could always print out a bunch of accounting spreadsheets and wrap it in those instead.

e:
Just remembered how different the UK edition is (including the shortened title):

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 26, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DurianGray posted:

You could always print out a bunch of accounting spreadsheets and wrap it in those instead.

e:
Just remembered how different the UK edition is (including the shortened title):

I have this in my Amazon basket and it's payday tomorrow. Going to find out what the fuss is about! ...also I read the preview and the words are very good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finally finished KJ Parker’s Engineer trilogy. I think I liked it. I definitely enjoyed reading it in a way I didn’t quite enjoy Fencer. The characters are clearer in their motivations, the pacing is better, and the world feels more established. The ending... hmmm. I’ll have to think about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I forget which baru it was, but one had an awesome cover of a cracked mask on fire. Hell, I bought it just for that. Wish they'd offer prints.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I forget which baru it was, but one had an awesome cover of a cracked mask on fire. Hell, I bought it just for that. Wish they'd offer prints.

It's good.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Ooh I like that one. It actually looks like a mask.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i'm on the 2nd book of the paksenarrion series and i hope she doesn't become a paladin of gird, these people are loving insufferable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DurianGray posted:

e:

Makes game of thrones look like... what? They made that up, right?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Makes game of thrones look like... what? They made that up, right?
BBC kids show where someone just sits there and reads a story.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I finished with Redemptor and I appreciate so much of it, including baby’s first introduction to parts of Marxist theory and the meditation done deconstructing a lot of ‘monarchy good’ default fantasy bullshit. Those are important things to include in YA fiction, I think. I love the examples of art, fashion and songs that she included in the description, especially since the audiobook narrator actually sang some of it. (in a good way) It’s one of the reasons I like Tolkien and it was refreshing to get it from an African base instead of Nordic/Western European. The audiobook definitely helped me get a feel for the accents that I don’t have as much cultural context for.

I kind of wish she had spent more time on the recruitment of her council and the emotional and societal impacts of that but there were already times where it dragged and there was a lot more to get to. I also feel like she didn’t give Tarisai’s anxiety enough space, but see above comment. I do like how the main take home about the human villains is “People can be evil, but it’s usually more complicated”. And the ending was satisfactory. There were some things not examined to their fullest extent, I feel, including the ramifications of Blueblooded-ness, but it is YA.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
It saddens me that publishers seem to (or seemed to for about 10 years) require every second fantasy book to have some reference to GRRM on the cover. Traitor was a cool book and I enjoyed the heck out of it but at no point was I really reminded of GRRM's works on an aesthetic or thematic level moreso than any other epic/dark fantasy novel in recent memory (I guess the bow you could draw is that GRRM has become synonymous with bleak, complex fantasy).

I mean, 15-20 years ago every book cover had something about LOTR on it so this is nothing new. I think it annoys me because it's a silent nod to the industry inertia naturally drawing itself back to the safety net of 'the last thing that worked'.

Those who know more about this than me, has this trend died off since GoT S8 was a huge disaster and GRRM is now a meme because he refuses to leave his cave for anything except a new WILD CARDS release? What's the new spice for front-cover comparisons? The Witcher?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

i'm on the 2nd book of the paksenarrion series and i hope she doesn't become a paladin of gird, these people are loving insufferable

Spoiler for later on:
The series was literally inspired by D&D, she's making a contrast between the newer "start as a paladin, have a very stringent code" style vs the older "Start as a fighter, become a paladin, have a much looser code" style.

The Deed of Paksenarrion is great overall, Paladin's Legacy is a little less good, but still pretty good. It just suffers a bit from the many simultaneous mostly separate plotlines.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Doctor Jeep posted:

That series is good because it makes Paladins interesting. Those dudes sure are insufferable though, aren’t they?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, time for some thoughts on KJ Parker's Engineer trilogy. This was an absorbing series. The protagonist, Ziani, is immediately sympathetic because he's wronged by an absurd rule about not altering any designs, known as Specifications, which are the source of the Mezentine Republic's economic dominance. And he's a family man! He loves his wife and daughter, he just wants his life to go back to the way it was before a bit of technical tinkering led to his conviction. The first book is the most satisfying because the characters elicit the most sympathy and the twists, while sometimes cruel, all seem to be about bringing two people who are in love back together.

Well, this is Parker, so things don't stay that way for long. Subsequent books reveal our protagonist's wife set up the whole thing because she was cheating on him and wanted him out of the picture. To an extent she was being manipulated by her lover, but still. Now the whole enterprise is tainted. And our other main character's love interest ends up not loving him after he loses a duel, due to a complicated set of reactions to do with duty vs protecting her. That whole situation had me thinking of the sketch in I Think You Should Leave where a man's wife turns on him because a magician makes a joke at his expense. It's just... I don't buy it. Maybe some people's emotions do work that way, people are complicated, but this was just a comical turnabout.

This brings me to a problem I have with a lot of especially early Parker material. The women feel underserved by the narrative. It's not that they're more cruel than the male characters. There are plenty of men in this trilogy who are monsters. But one of the major themes in Engineer is how love is connected to evil. And in both of the major relationships, the women initiate the actions that lead to so much evil being perpetrated, yet get far less coverage in the narrative compared to their male counterparts. The narrative slyly comments on this as Veatriz spends most of the narrative embroidering, a hobby she hates but is basically consigned to by her station as the Duke's wife with no real responsibilities. At the end after she has decided she can no longer love the Duke, she says she'll just go back to doing nothing, which has been her entire life. Meanwhile at one point in the book the Duke is in an arranged marriage with a highly educated woman who suggests sensible policy to him. He can't stand her. He thinks of her as some kind of creature. It's like the narrative is trying to erode our sympathy built up in the first book as fast as possible in subsequent volumes.

The resolution of the two major relationships do provide a nice contrast. Even if her motives for falling out of love seem silly, Veatriz is honest with the Duke that she can no longer love him. Meanwhile, Ziani's wife professes that she does love him even though he knows its a lie. But he accepts her lie because he feels its a compromise he has to make. The last image in the book is that her eyes are like stones. Hard to say who is in the worse situation, both people trapped in loveless relationships, but one who is honest about it and the other trying to live a lie.

Aside from all that I thought the books had a lot of cool stuff to say about industrialized society vs feudal society, how economic dominance in one area can be turned against neighboring countries to make them poor (kind of reminded me of the debt issues between certain successful and unsuccessful EU economies) and the lies a civilization tells itself in order to keep its policy consistent and its population content. Also there's some really cool scenes where characters have valuable insight in the process of constructing something, and the way the imagery of forging and engineering is connected to the mechanics of their realization is really well done.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
finished Tehanu (Earthsea book 4). I really enjoyed it, but it was pretty different from the previous books. Kind of unexpected to have a navel gazey look at parenthood and aging in the same series I previously lauded for its extreme economy in storytelling

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

finished Tehanu (Earthsea book 4). I really enjoyed it, but it was pretty different from the previous books. Kind of unexpected to have a navel gazey look at parenthood and aging in the same series I previously lauded for its extreme economy in storytelling

Well it’s almost twenty years between The Farthest Shore and Tehanu. The change in focus and tone is not surprising really, given that writer has had two decades of life and experience to reflect and build on.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

You can tell a lot about a person by how they feel about Tehanu. Unfortunately the Aardvark must now be given to the nameless ones.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

buffalo all day posted:

You can tell a lot about a person by how they feel about Tehanu. Unfortunately the Aardvark must now be given to the nameless ones.

Because I... Liked it? Are you anti Tehanu? :thunk:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

BBC kids show where someone just sits there and reads a story.
Oh, then that's actually a pretty sick compliment. Even if it still sounds made up.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I forgot to ask, since I liked Tehanu, should I read the short stories book before book 5?

I'd heard Tehanu talked about a bunch of times and actually thought it was the final book until I looked it up after I finished. I hope that doesn't mean these other 2 books are bad :ohdear:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes, read the short stories.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

Because I... Liked it? Are you anti Tehanu? :thunk:

Oh no I love Tehanu, sorry I missed the fact that you enjoyed it and focused on the navel gazey and not economical part. As a compromise you may become the eaten one.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Not that there's anything wrong with Jackanory - Kenneth Williams reading the Agaton Sax stories when I was young was a real treat.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
drat! What a bunch of insane libertarian bullshit. I liked the setting of War against the Chtorr but I don't really want to read through that author's delusional ramblings just to get through the rest of the story. Oh well, going by some of the comments about the latter books (Book 3 in particular) what I read of this series was probably the peak anyways. There's some extremely disturbing stuff later on.

Can anyone recommend some alien apocalypse books similar to this?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hobnob posted:

Not that there's anything wrong with Jackanory - Kenneth Williams reading the Agaton Sax stories when I was young was a real treat.

Yeah Jackanory was fantastic as a kid back in the day.

They did a great version of The Hobbit over 2 weeks with multiple cast members.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Velius posted:

That series is good because it makes Paladins interesting. Those dudes sure are insufferable though, aren’t they?

if this is snark you'll have to spell it out for me

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087X6Z1GS/

A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RZC8KQ
I'm brand new to Novik. Is this a good one?

The Eon Series: Legacy, Eon, and Eternity by Greg Bear - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ3RT/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 26, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pradmer posted:

Bad book, good book, pretty mediocre book, worth $3.99

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm reading those right now and they're all right. I like the concepts more than anything else tbh.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

pradmer posted:

I enjoyed it, but I’d probably start with a different Novik like Uprooted or Spinning Silver. (Also how much you like this one depends on your tolerance for wizard school books.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pradmer posted:

Sweet was this on .ca as well, got it as well as Three Body Problem for, as observed on the discord, a "loonie a problem"

For deciding to not buy any new books this year I'm not doing so well

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

DurianGray posted:

e:

Yeah I'm very hype about finally getting around to reading the series, but I'm irrationally bummed at how...generic the UK version looks. The original cover art is so beautiful and evocative, and the UK ones just look like turbo generic fantasy book covers. Even just missing Baru Cormorant from the titles makes it seem less evocative :(

I mean not that it really matters because it's the same book at the end of the day, but these are the things I care about!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pradmer posted:

I quite enjoyed ADE, and thought it was much stronger than the Napoleonic dragon books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I enjoyed A Deadly Education too. I’ll probably read the sequel when it’s out.

I’ve exhausted my supply of KJ Parker books, so I need to find a new author. Someone mentioned “The Aching God” being good so I might try that. But if anyone has recommendations for authors similar to Parker I’d like to hear them. I’ve already read Abercrombie of course.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 27, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah I enjoyed A Deadly Education too. I’ll probably read the sequel when it’s out.

I’ve exhausted my supply of KJ Parker books, so I need to find a new author. Someone mentioned “The Aching God” being good so I might try that. But if anyone has recommendations for authors similar to Parker I’d like to hear them. I’ve already read Abercrombie of course.

not exactly similar but if you're looking for some gritty-ish fantasy alex marshall's the crimson empire trilogy is OK, robert jackson bennett's divine cities trilogy was a thread favorite at one point, michael woodring stover's caine series is good as well, and christopher buehlmann is the current thread favorite (I've read the blacktongue thief and liked it quite well, between two fires started off a bit too unpleasantly for me so I'm holding off right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

I enjoyed it, but I’d probably start with a different Novik like Uprooted or Spinning Silver. (Also how much you like this one depends on your tolerance for wizard school books.)

Counterpoint: Uprooted never grabbed me enough to buy and Spinning Silver bored me to the point of not finishing it...

...but I really liked A Deadly Education.