Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I mean, to some extent, Myne has to do that as well. Like she doesn't know all the details of every part of a printing press as well as how to make it, she has the broad picture and some details and has her crew to make it into a reality--remember the actual design they're using was made by a not isekaid person. Hell, even with getting to usable paper was a journey, but you can't just do that for every little thing because it will get very repetitive. Kinda like how we don't really get many details on her reading sessions anymore.

doomrider7 posted:

This is kind of why I tend to take in stride. I mean, being honest if you introduced the usual Japanese cuisine that they usually do in isekai to medieval(hell, even further down to like colonial or even close to industrial) time periods, the reactions wouldn't be that far off in terms of wondering what this strange food was(whether it's liked or not would vary).

Hell, Max Miller did an episode on Pizza and the earliest recipe of it is NOTHING like what we understand today and the closest analogue was from the 1800's.

I mean whenever people say but X thing is obvious...well it's obvious because you already know about it. Someone had to come up things first, and to them, it may not have been obvious. Whether or not it makes sense in setting, who cares as long as there's at least some plausible justification. The japanese food stuff doesn't really bother me anymore because it's just a thing that will happen in these series, just like how chinese medicine is the solution everything in chinese comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean whenever people say but X thing is obvious...well it's obvious because you already know about it. Someone had to come up things first, and to them, it may not have been obvious. Whether or not it makes sense in setting, who cares as long as there's at least some plausible justification. The japanese food stuff doesn't really bother me anymore because it's just a thing that will happen in these series, just like how chinese medicine is the solution everything in chinese comics.

I think it depends on the context; when they just toss it in as part of a larger story it's easy enough to just roll your eyes and move on. "Good job, you introduced soy sauce, now go back to the actual interesting story please."

It only gets particularly egregious when the story puts a large emphasis on how awesome the MC is for revolutionizing cooking, especially when it stretches belief like the MC being the first person to introduce eating seafood to people who live on the coast.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Inventing soy sauce would actually be impressive. I mean, that's pretty complicated to make. Convincing people to eat the soy sauce they already have, but decided was useless because they were trying to drink it straight from the bottle instead of watering it down or putting on things, is dumb. That's the silly part here.

Edit: To use the sandwich example, its less like inventing a sandwich and more like if people were baking bread but using it to insulate their houses instead of eating it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 26, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Inventing soy sauce would actually be impressive. I mean, that's pretty complicated to make. Convincing people to eat the soy sauce they already have, but decided was useless because they were trying to drink it straight from the bottle instead of watering it down or putting on things, is dumb. That's the silly part here.

Yeah, making anything that tastes somewhat similar to stuff from your world is something when this world's got apples that'll strangle you if you don't spear and roast them first or whatever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kwyndig posted:

Actually what I would like to see is an isekai protagonist who knows nothing but is conveniently helped out by a handbook that coincidentally has a few holes in its knowledge base. So that way they have to invent their way around certain problems using local help instead of just being a bossy know it all like Myne.
Ideal Sponger Life is like this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Clarste posted:

Edit: To use the sandwich example, its less like inventing a sandwich and more like if people were baking bread but using it to insulate their houses instead of eating it.

The thing is, a lot of Isekai protaganists treat it as one of the most important things in the world, and it instantly becomes super popular. I'd like a protaganist that tries to invent soy sauce, makes something that doesn't really doesn't take like it, but then everybody ends up liking the failure and they get upset because nobody is interested in actual soy sauce.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Crikey! A drop-bear got me and I woke up in another world, and decided to invent Vegemite!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In Undetectable Rule Breaker there is an aside where he asks a sausage food cart to put one on bread with spicy mustard, inadvertently inventing the hot dog. People in the local town start eating them for lunch and a hundred chapters later there is another aside where the other isekai’d side character gets him to invest in their hotdog cart business plan.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There are not enough isekai out there where the MC sets up a Tonkatsu cart and snowballs into their own Mc Donalds chain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

In Undetectable Rule Breaker there is an aside where he asks a sausage food cart to put one on bread with spicy mustard, inadvertently inventing the hot dog. People in the local town start eating them for lunch and a hundred chapters later there is another aside where the other isekai’d side character gets him to invest in their hotdog cart business plan.

whoa, that's amazing. you managed to read that much of such an incredibly dull wn? it's like the novelization of a stealth archer skyrim playthrough, but with all of the story removed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Listen bub, I consume trash words at untold speeds. Most of said trash is up to weekly releases now so I get like 5 minutes of content from each series every few days.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The thing is, a lot of Isekai protaganists treat it as one of the most important things in the world, and it instantly becomes super popular. I'd like a protaganist that tries to invent soy sauce, makes something that doesn't really doesn't take like it, but then everybody ends up liking the failure and they get upset because nobody is interested in actual soy sauce.

This sort of happens in Skeleton Knight from Another World. He can't make soy sauce because no soy beans but he saw a documentary once on how overseas they have fake soy sauce and remembered enough to remake that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think my favorite isekai food sillyness was... I forget the name, the one about the group of highschool supergeniuses getting isekai'd into a poor village, and they immediately invent mayonnaise and have the villagers sell jars of it in a nearby town. My first thought was mayo + no refrigeration = village about to be burned down by people angry over all the food poisoning.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
When will there be an isekai where the protagonist introduces the world to clostridium botulinum, an invasive species from another world

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Bremen posted:

I think my favorite isekai food sillyness was... I forget the name, the one about the group of highschool supergeniuses getting isekai'd into a poor village, and they immediately invent mayonnaise and have the villagers sell jars of it in a nearby town. My first thought was mayo + no refrigeration = village about to be burned down by people angry over all the food poisoning.

The 12 year old girl built a nuke plant. They probably just irradiated it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There is a criminal underrepresentation of takoyaki being pioneered in isekai

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Zodack posted:

There is a criminal underrepresentation of takoyaki being pioneered in isekai

Vegeta made the sickest takoyaki.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's the guy in Dungeon Reset who keeps repurposing local monsters, plants, and/or dungeon traps to recreate Korean food to give everyone stuck there a taste of home, which is at least a pretty good motivation for doing it.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
His Royal Highness is Hungry is about a guy who isekais/time travels holding a bag of groceries, so he manages to plant some crops (I think mostly potatoes - it's been a while) and ends up opening a McDonald's-a-like franchise. Mangadex only has the first 10 chapters, but there's 100 chapters released so far.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought Bookworm's invention introductions were (almost) all pretty plausible as a society on the cusp of the printing press, nearly everything she was introducing was contemporaneous with the development of that in our world.

The only one I would take issue with is Myne introducing using the broth from cooking meat or vegetables in other foods. The locals apparently threw it out before her, while wasting food would be one of the last things a peasant would do.

that one in particular is addressed in the fanbook Q&A where she claims "Something similar was done in old English cooking." i believe any slander about the english without investigation and assume it is at least attested to in something

what bugs me about bookworm gekokujo's food stuff is for some reason the joint eatery project with benno et al is repeatedly and specifically called an italian restaurant when that means nothing to the customers and also a bunch of the named dishes aren't even specifically italian? bizarre

e: the spoiler is totally inconsequential once the point is passed where she's doing business in different sectors, but i don't remember exactly when they start to mention it or whether the non-ln adaptations have even gotten to talking about it at all

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 27, 2021

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Bremen posted:

Think about where they have mayo in the store, do they sell it chilled in a refrigerator aisle?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what's shelf stable in a grocery store and what's shelf stable homemade are two wildly different things.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ElBrak posted:

Think about where they have mayo in the store, do they sell it chilled in a refrigerator aisle?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what's shelf stable in a grocery store and what's shelf stable homemade are two wildly different things.

Also even store mayo is generally not shelf stable once opened. Once opened its shelf life is measured in hours if unrefrigerated.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this allusion meant posted:

that one in particular is addressed in the fanbook Q&A where she claims "Something similar was done in old English cooking." i believe any slander about the english without investigation and assume it is at least attested to in something

what bugs me about bookworm gekokujo's food stuff is for some reason the joint eatery project with benno et al is repeatedly and specifically called an italian restaurant when that means nothing to the customers and also a bunch of the named dishes aren't even specifically italian? bizarre

e: the spoiler is totally inconsequential once the point is passed where she's doing business in different sectors, but i don't remember exactly when they start to mention it or whether the non-ln adaptations have even gotten to talking about it at all

It shows up early in the second part of the manga. And I am pretty sure the explanation for that is literally 'Benno is just calling it what she did because he has no idea what the word means but it sounds foreign, and therefore enticing.'

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah I think it originally did have those types of dishes but it just turned into her testbed restaurant for her new dishes later. Changing the name would only be for her edification at this point since she's the only one on the entire planet who would know the name doesn't really match up to the menu.

Bookworm otherwise does a pretty good job with Myne only having a very superficial understanding of a lot of things that she didn't have deal heavily with in her previous life. She knows a lot about cooking because it was one of her few other hobbies other than reading (her other hobby being embroidery, which also lends to her having some clothing based skills). Her obsession with books gave her a certain base level of understanding on a lot of subjects, but she has no idea how to implement them in our world, let alone this one with different materials.

Paper takes a really long time to develop with her going through like a half dozen different paper analogues and paper attempts before finding one that works. Similarly with her printing press, she has only a super basic level of understanding of how the printing press actually operates once you get beyond a simple screw press that you'd use for mashing up grapes for wine. She relies on her blacksmiths in the world to actually figure out how that works.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the really jarring thing overall (especially later) is how easily she achieves revolutions in pedagogy/child psychology compared to how much effort it is to, like, figure out colored ink. like most of the adults are running some kinda scheme where they subtly incentivize her to humble all their enemies and put them right near the top of their social class but the mind of every kid is putty in her hands

e: i guess the explanation there is that the author is a mom so this is a power fantasy about raising a bunch of kids to be good and self-motivated really easily

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read through the current chapters of dungeon house earlier and i liked it. the main appeal is that the mc gets a posse of skeleton buds. so, most of his social interactions are with skeletons which is very relatable.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i read through the current chapters of dungeon house earlier and i liked it. the main appeal is that the mc gets a posse of skeleton buds. so, most of his social interactions are with skeletons which is very relatable.

I really liked this up until chapter 20 or so. It's great fun when it's just the MC and his goofy skeleton party being buds, but I'm worried about it going downhill now that he's pulling the more typical sociopathic protagonist stunts.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It's because of that isekai protagonist haircut

It keeps happening!!!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I similarly finished the anime run of Bofuri and I can't decide whether I am still enjoying it or not. The first bit of it was nice comfy VRMMO shenanigans with Maple getting a few coincidental power ups (and even had the devs talk about nerfing her which I enjoyed) but then afterwards... yeah. Still fun at least!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zodack posted:

I similarly finished the anime run of Bofuri and I can't decide whether I am still enjoying it or not. The first bit of it was nice comfy VRMMO shenanigans with Maple getting a few coincidental power ups (and even had the devs talk about nerfing her which I enjoyed) but then afterwards... yeah. Still fun at least!

What happened? Gotta get back into that manga.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

What happened? Gotta get back into that manga.

Maple stumbles into a side quest that turns her into an angel, letting her use her defense for all of her party members. Fine, cool! She then stumbles into a side quest that gives her a skill that lets her turn into a really overpowered demon once per day. Okay, well tha- she then stumbles into a side quest that lets her put on a full Perfect Unicorn Gundam mecha suit with lasers and boosters. She then goes into a guild competition and beats the strongest player in the game (mostly) effortlessly, and he's the only character in the entire thing that even poses a threat to her.

tl;dr one coincidental gimmick setup that let her utilize her defense was fine and fun; four+ gimmick skills that turn her into a killing machine got quickly contrived.

The atmosphere is still incredibly fun and cozy, but the concept of any kind of stakes or intrigue quickly died for me. Feels like that like of LN acceleration you get in things like Spider where you start small and interesting and quickly balloon into something that feels - at least to me - unsustainable as a concept under your own weight. But hey that's just my preference, it's still a fun ride!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it quickly stopped being any sort of halfway serious story in favor of running a single joke about a girl's accidental mmo apotheosis into the ground. for the duration of the anime, that joke worked well enough.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The manga version still only really has the one joke, but likes to go into detail about the absurd mechanics of the mmo.

Which is a very bad mmo, but at least it’s fun seeing the devs freak out over how badly they programmed it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't looking for exactly a serious story as I really like the one joke of "girl develops gimmick build based on impossibly high defense", but after Loving Sacrifice (Knockback vs. the AoE was a cool touch in PvP) every powerup she gets has massively high destructive power regardless of her imbalanced stats.

I guess it went from "girl trips into gimmick build and cleverly makes use of it" to "girl is handed insanely busted abilities on sheer luck". I'm still gonna watch Season 2 though, I like the crafting of the world and the guild and whatnot. Feels like Log Horizon in a certain way I can't exactly put my finger on.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Hello, thread. I have a request for spoilers.

Recently read the preview for My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer, and it seemed fun and charming, but so did the first parts of Bunny Drop and If it's for My Daughter I'd Even etc., if you catch my drift.

Do I need to brace for disappointment on this one?

Also, un-related, but read the first two volumes of Deathbound Duke's Daughter and quite liked it. Cast has a high proportion of precocious youths, but the prose is enjoyable and the story is a series of neat mysteries.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lock Knight posted:

Hello, thread. I have a request for spoilers.

Recently read the preview for My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer, and it seemed fun and charming, but so did the first parts of Bunny Drop and If it's for My Daughter I'd Even etc., if you catch my drift.

Do I need to brace for disappointment on this one?

I have the same ongoing concern with that one, and it does get a little concerning in that regard, but I'm pretty sure it's now sidestepped that. But then again, even the ones you've named looked like they'd sidestepped it at a certain point, until it suddenly doubled down.

Specifically, she's started talking about setting someone up that she trusts with her dad, which hopefully means the worst won't happen!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't know. They also revealed that she was found in the woods and have been heavily implying that she isn't even human or demihuman

Not sure side step is the best description.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As far as I know, S Rank Daughter is not incest. I've read as much of the web novel as I've been able to find translated and this has been the case throughout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’ve never felt there was any threat of it going that direction, it feels counter to the whole thing. I mean, it’s possible there will be a hard veer at the end? But I don’t see it coming if so.