Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Snecko from the A2 boss is much less valuable than Snecko from the A1 boss, though. I regularly skip A2 Snecko because my deck is generally already pretty complete by then and I don't always have the draw/discard to mitigate its potential downside.

agreed

and m i t i g a t e d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What are some great Snecko cards? I think Bloodletting is a good one.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MJeff posted:

meteor lol

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Monster Train, the equivalent artifact was a bit too good so they scaled the ember prices up slightly. Food for thought.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Volatile gauge was beyond broken because you would often start your run with it. StS having snecko take the place of a boss relic makes it much closer to balanced. In its current state VGauge is really not fun. Last I heard it even messes with the cost probabilities because the item is too bad otherwise.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 23, 2021

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I did this for the first time the other day. I already had Ice Cream and I eventually picked up Tempest and Thunder Strike to go along with it. Just silly.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

MJeff posted:

Shivs with dead branch :v:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No Wave posted:

Volatile gauge was beyond broken because you would often start your run with it. StS having snecko take the place of a boss relic makes it much closer to balanced. In its current state VGauge is really not fun. Last I heard it even messes with the cost probabilities because the item is too bad otherwise.

Volatile gauge can be made workable by picking mostly previously expensive cards or x cost cards and inserting negative cost things in them. Also by picking up the excess ember things after those big bosses. Also there's a couple of ember related artifacts. I think I had a decent run with it on the Switch the other day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I finally beat Ascension 18, but I couldn't lose this run if I tried.

Holy poo poo Ice Cream + Malaise was violent. Also probably the easiest kill I've ever had of the act 3 time keeper boss. I think I only had roughly half health reaching him. But after letting my energy build up after one full shuffle, I hit him with Malaise for something like 18 energy. By the time he wiped his status effects I'd built tonnes of dexterity thanks to the Kunai and shivs.

I was surprised I was able to do it without gold!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 24, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Forgot the attachment lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

Volatile gauge can be made workable by picking mostly previously expensive cards or x cost cards and inserting negative cost things in them. Also by picking up the excess ember things after those big bosses. Also there's a couple of ember related artifacts. I think I had a decent run with it on the Switch the other day.
It is viable for sure - I just think it isn't fun compared to snecko eye which is the biggest problem.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Even if it's workable, I think VGauge is always going to be somewhat underwhelming because the mechanics between the games are so different. While Snecko Eye is almost always an upgrade (if unfun) in StS, VGauge needs to have a deck around it to be made useful, otherwise it can be a straight nerf to your deck.

I think a big part is in Monster Train energy management might not even be a top 3 problem in most decks since the relics and cards are so strong (-2 cost for ALL units, +3 energy for summoning 2 units, etc). Instead you more need to focus on card draw, scaling your units, and floor capacity. Not to mention, since the game is more about card manipulation, one of the better scaling strategies is to take a strong scaling card, reduce its cost as much as you can and throw holdover on it, so you can play it every turn. Now all of a sudden randomizing costs in your deck can be flat out harmful, since there's a chance your 1 cost Holdover card is now a 3 cost card and your scaling engine gets derailed.

Of course, if they allowed zero cost cards to get spawned with VGauge it'd definitely be powerful again. As it is, it just seems to complicate decks without any tangible benefit

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It draws you 3 extra cards which is huge. Imo the only reason it's not more popular is the way the unit system works where you're more or less railroaded into playing units turns 1, 2, and 3. This is actually a really big deal and can really wreck you.

My understanding is the reason they felt it had to be nerfed to its weird state today is tons of people were just scumming for VGauge starts every time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 24, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

1 off, 2 reapers in the 8 on my drawpile, still a bunch of skills in my deck :negative:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't play a lot of Ironclad, but Havoc+ seems good. it's really good with FNP, and it's basically win-win. Like, if it hits an expensive card for 0 that's great! if it hits a power that's cool too! If it hits an expensive power that's double great! If it hits something that already exhausts that's ok! if it hits a strike, you get a strike out of your deck!

I suppose if it hits Spot Weakness and it's your only scaling, or if it hits reaper before you build up any strength that's not great, but it seems pretty good most of the time

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Havoc+ is great with Frozen Eye.

Buy Frozen Eye, everyone. Eat your vegetables. Don't be a wuss.

(or play the game however you want to... I guess)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Havoc is ok if to you have exhaust synergy to go with it, otherwise it just bloats your deck with an inconsistent card.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Today's daily is pretty fun, it's a watcher run that starts with 5 copies of blade dance.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
whats the easiest way for a defect to trigger emotion chip other than blocking less than incoming attacks? its so loving powerful on something like the heart or fights where you can take small hits

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Find the Jaxx skill? Or Prismatic Shard for some Ironclad cards. I can't think of any sources of self harm the Defect has.

I haven't touched the game in a while but I managed to clear A5 with the Watcher last night. I even killed the Heart. Boss swapped into Snecko Eye and somehow limped my way to victory with a completely basic deck.

That puts Watcher and Silent on A6, Defect on A5 and Ironclad on A4 with 4 Heart kills.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2021

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Verviticus posted:

whats the easiest way for a defect to trigger emotion chip other than blocking less than incoming attacks? its so loving powerful on something like the heart or fights where you can take small hits

Torii

And/or tungsten rod if 0 damage counts.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Dyz posted:

And/or tungsten rod if 0 damage counts.

It doesn't. Similarly, Rupture will not proc if you take 0 damage because of Rod.

Related pro-tip of the day: If you have Tungsten Rod and you have Fossilized Helix (or you have played the power Buffer), and Rod would turn 1 damage into 0 damage, you still lose the buffer. The buffer procs first. Very important to remember this against the Heart, where Beat of Death consuming buffer can cost you 60+ hp against the first big attack.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yoshi Wins posted:

It doesn't. Similarly, Rupture will not proc if you take 0 damage because of Rod.

Related pro-tip of the day: If you have Tungsten Rod and you have Fossilized Helix (or you have played the power Buffer), and Rod would turn 1 damage into 0 damage, you still lose the buffer. The buffer procs first. Very important to remember this against the Heart, where Beat of Death consuming buffer can cost you 60+ hp against the first big attack.

If it's like other stuff of the sort, it depends on which artifact you got first because they process from left to right, right? Or is it right to left...

Patch 35 explicitly states: "Buffer is no longer lost when hit by 0 damage attacks." so you definitely shouldn't be losing it if the tungsten rod processes first, whichever order that happens in.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 26, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GlyphGryph posted:

If it's like other stuff of the sort, it depends on which artifact you got first because they process from left to right, right? Or is it right to left...

Patch 35 explicitly states: "Buffer is no longer lost when hit by 0 damage attacks." so you definitely shouldn't be losing it if the tungsten rod processes first, whichever order that happens in.

A 0-damage attack is one that starts at 0 damage. Tungsten Rod always applies last, which is why the Torii/Rod combo reduces all attacks of 5 or less to zero instead of reducing all attacks of 6 or less to 1.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Jedit explained this, but to give an example of a 0 damage attack, if you play Disarm against Byrds on turn 1, their multi-attack will hit for 0x6. That won't consume your buffer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
TIL about snecko/double All for One infinite

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

how's the game feel on android? thinking about picking it up for something to do instead of my working at my job.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Its great havent had any issues. Maybe loading the game is a bit slow but thats it

E: pocket sts is pretty dangerous stuff so just be aware but im sure youd figure that already lol

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Finally beat the final act today and I'm feeling good.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

cheeseboy58 posted:

Its great havent had any issues. Maybe loading the game is a bit slow but thats it

The iOS version loads faster than the Switch

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its weird how long it spends "syncing" on startup before letting you do anything, but other than that I haven't had any issues at all. very good port. Honestly feels better than on the computer, aside from the fact that some of the controls are under my phone's stupid popover bars. Not really the games fault though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The only issue I have with the Android port is that occasionally your progress doesn't get saved.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Its weird how long it spends "syncing" on startup before letting you do anything, but other than that I haven't had any issues at all. very good port. Honestly feels better than on the computer, aside from the fact that some of the controls are under my phone's stupid popover bars. Not really the games fault though.
I have the long syncing at the start too. I wondered if I potentially caused it by copying my PC save data over to it. Usually the game stays 'active' on my phone in the background though through most of the day.

I've probably played four times longer on Android than I did on PC. I haven't had it lose my progress.

The only small issue I've had is that occasionally status effects on an enemy are obscured by foreground art.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
StS profile on PC (steam) syncs to the game on Android & iOS?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

my only complaint with the android version is on my pixel 5 the camera is right where you would click to see whats left in your deck unless you have autorotate on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

droll posted:

StS profile on PC (steam) syncs to the game on Android & iOS?
No unfortunately, though I would probably put a million more hours in if it did and never play anything else.

I had to connect my Android phone via USB, and drag and drop the Steam save files to the Android data directory.

I mention the USB part, because modern Android has made it that you can't access app data from different apps on your phone anymore. (I.e. I couldn't just copy it across or potentially even sync it with like Dropbox, or use a file manager)

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Android StS player and I also get the long syncing. I haven't connected any saves or cloud stuff. Works quite well though! I do think there's a bug where I keep taking incredibly aggressive cards and dying in act 2.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

The only issue I have with the Android port is that occasionally your progress doesn't get saved.

Based on my experience this could refer to one of two things:
1. if the app closes while you've got that "synching" message in the top right, it seems to sometimes lose the entire run. That was vanishingly rare for me, though.
2. The more common one is that if I entered act 4 but did not win, it didn't update ascension progress normally - I got around this by alternating characters whenever that happened. For example: ironclad beats act 3 on ascension 5 and dies to heart, ascension 6 is not available at next new game selection. Do a round as watcher, silent, or defect, and after that ironclad ascension 6 is available. Weird but not a big problem.

The big downside of the Android port is that I can't run Downfall on it, which is what I really want now that I've finally notched an A20 heart kill with everyone.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Just had a silly auto-win deck.

Corruption + 4 x FNP, bottled the Corruption in Act 3 and went full hog. Carried 2 power potions into the Heart fight hoping for a Barricade. Didn't get one, but still won the fight with full HP and about 5 skills to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Irony.or.Death posted:

2. The more common one is that if I entered act 4 but did not win, it didn't update ascension progress normally - I got around this by alternating characters whenever that happened. For example: ironclad beats act 3 on ascension 5 and dies to heart, ascension 6 is not available at next new game selection. Do a round as watcher, silent, or defect, and after that ironclad ascension 6 is available. Weird but not a big problem.
Oh I forgot about this one. If you quit StS completely, you can select the new ascension when you reopen it. It has always done this for me.