Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone with beta experience have thoughts on Arcanists? They look pretty good for WoTR since they allow spontaneous Sorcerer style casting but also allow for spell experimentation on a first playthrough (I don't want to rely on some recommended spell list). Though I've heard it's a lot harder to hide your mages so it might be a better idea to have something that can melee a bit better. None of the Arcanist subclasses seem particularly good for that as I'm assuming the Brown Fur Transmuter shapeshifting isn't that great. I could splash in some EK I guess but I don't see any particular synergies.

Arcanist is crippled by the lack of Quick Study, where they could use their point reservoir to swap spells out on the fly; it's not in the game. Exploiter Wizard eats its lunch and the worst part is that Abundant Casting, which gives a caster 4 extra casts per spell level, does not affect the Arcanist's prepared slots, it only affects its spontaneous casting. So an Exploiter, which gets the Arcanist's main mechanical gimmick, can take Abundant and have 10-12 spell slots it can use however it pleases per spell level, whereas an Arcanist will always be stuck with 2-4 spells that it can cast 10-12 times combined, no matter what. It's even worse as a Lich since then your merged unique Lich spells will also be competing for prepared slots. I would not recommend an Arcanist Lich at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone with beta experience have thoughts on Arcanists? They look pretty good for WoTR since they allow spontaneous Sorcerer style casting but also allow for spell experimentation on a first playthrough (I don't want to rely on some recommended spell list). Though I've heard it's a lot harder to hide your mages so it might be a better idea to have something that can melee a bit better. None of the Arcanist subclasses seem particularly good for that as I'm assuming the Brown Fur Transmuter shapeshifting isn't that great. I could splash in some EK I guess but I don't see any particular synergies.

Brown Fur Transmuter exists almost wholly for the Share Transmutation gimmick, which permits casting transmutation spells that are normally limited to Personal - read: polymorph spells - onto willing allies. Not saying you can't make an effective polymorphing caster gimmick work, but Brown Fur Transmuter exists to sidestep the bullshit and let you apply what are pretty solid single-target buffs to party members who ideally have the base attack bonus and strength bonus to make real use out of them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's a shame. I like 5e d&d Wizard casting and Arcanist seemed like a way to get that into PF.

This time I am doing no monk dips so I don't want to do the usual Sorc/DD/Monk/etc. I guess for melee wizard I could play a Magus again which was my first playthrough of Kingmaker since it's an OOTB melee wizard. Though I was thinking more wizard with some melee instead of Magus' heavier emphasis on melee. Any other interesting gish ideas?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

That's a shame. I like 5e d&d Wizard casting and Arcanist seemed like a way to get that into PF.

This time I am doing no monk dips so I don't want to do the usual Sorc/DD/Monk/etc. I guess for melee wizard I could play a Magus again which was my first playthrough of Kingmaker since it's an OOTB melee wizard. Though I was thinking more wizard with some melee instead of Magus' heavier emphasis on melee. Any other interesting gish ideas?

If you play Lich, you can easily do 10 EK prestige and a few levels of fighter and not worry about caster levels or getting 9th level buffs since you merge spellbooks. If you are lawful, you can get 3 levels of Hellknight Signifer (Order of the gate should allow spellcasting in heavy armor).

So you could get 5 levels of Exploiter wizard/10 EK/3 signifer/2 fighter (fighter gives extra feats and makes it easier to qualify for EK).
My math was a bit hasty, but I am pretty sure you reach 16 BAB to get a 4th attack and you only lose 3 caster levels out of maximum 30 while casting in heavy armor. You won't be able to just get spell focus for 3 schools and all the metamagic feats since you need to get some martial feats too and choosing mythic abilities/feats will be tight, but still very doable.
I pretty much just too advantage of the lich to adjust this sorcerer gish build (5Seeker/10EldritchKnight/4DragonDisciple/1ScaledFistMonk).

Strictly speaking, any martial class that chooses Lich gets 9 levels of arcane casting, but you become more of a self buff/summoner martial then a capable wizard who is also wrecking in the frontline(not just with transformation).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Lich might be my favorite mythic, it's so well designed. You can make it work with literally anything, like think about a straight to 20 Rogue Lich. poo poo's terrifiying actually!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wasn't planning on going Lich. I thought Lich kinda heavily changed your playthrough? Something about your companions freak out and you end up solo with undead companions. I figured I'd do a power mad Lich playthrough but not on my first one.

I'm all for trying to be a chill Lich but my understanding is that Lichs in PF are super evil intrinsically. I am very jealous of the merging

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Lich might be my favorite mythic, it's so well designed. You can make it work with literally anything, like think about a straight to 20 Rogue Lich. poo poo's terrifiying actually!

The only mythic that does not offer good benefits for every build is trickster, because full casters (except kinda clerics) do not get some good bullshit . Though lich having specific benefits for Kineticist and Alchemist is great.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The most common criticism I'm hearing of the Mythics so far is that Angel and Lich are just overwhelmingly the best Mythics so far. Which makes sense because they are the Poster Boys but still. Demon seems kinda lackluster by comparison.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Oblivious posted:

The most common criticism I'm hearing of the Mythics so far is that Angel and Lich are just overwhelmingly the best Mythics so far. Which makes sense because they are the Poster Boys but still. Demon seems kinda lackluster by comparison.

Is that true even if you're not a caster? Everyone seems to be talking about the spellbook merging as the main benefit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

Is that true even if you're not a caster? Everyone seems to be talking about the spellbook merging as the main benefit.

Even if you're not a spellcaster you still get a spellbook out of them with very good spells and a variety of features that cater well to Basically Everyone, such as Sword of the Heavens and its upgrades.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

It's largely the 'Wow, spellbook merging' and '9 level spellbook no matter what' eff.
Azata can work with almost every build just as well , has a very strong spellbook and his superpowers are always on, which can make a big difference. Players who are not sure what to do can be carried by Azata with far more ease.
Demon's weak image is a leftover from Alpha. In reality, during Demonic Rage, Demon can reach the highest ceiling in many builds (easily the best DC caster for example). And when you get the later demon aspects, you have significant boosts even when out of rage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The merged spellbooks are appealing to get 9th level spells super fast and elevated CL, but that's kind of it aside from the potential 10th level spells.

Demon is apparently the way to get the absolute best DC for casters. The demon forms are pretty much trash until they fix the problem of them making you weaker then you already are, like giving you +2 gore attacks when previously you'd have a +6 weapon or something.

The 'weakest' one seems to be Trickster, which is about breaking the rules of the game like you're arguing with a DM, maybe some weird meta-4th wall stuff in the text?

In general I don't think the mythic path min-maxing is gonna matter too much unless you play hard or above. You can take so many insane synergies in general any mythic path should be some flavor of wrecking poo poo. Just the sheer variety from the mythic feats and abilities can lead to some truly broken character builds. The path specific stuff is almost just for fun.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What are the impressions on Aeon (or whatever the lawful one is called)?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What are the impressions on Aeon (or whatever the lawful one is called)?

Also strong (i had my doubts earlier, but going through with it on Beta changed my mind). You become immune to most conditions as you progress (and share some with the party), you can buff your team and debuff enemies in one stroke for things like DC, caster level and DR . You get a Bane ability (like the inquisitor ability and weapon property), which grows stronger as the mythic progresses and has extra benefits (like automatically applying dispels and later greater dispels, or near the end, letting you cast spells or use abilities as move action instead of standard).
And my personal favorite, they can cancel enemy Mythic demons, who are very annoying encounters.

Spellbook is interesting too.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

The amusing bit about Lich is that so much of its bullshit is... actually bad against Undead. Like, cool, everything you do is Super Negative Energy Saiyajin, cold damage, ability damage ! Guess who's 100% immune to all that stuff ?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think any of the mythic paths are actually weak or anything. Most of the powers are so straight forward you'd have to try and screw it up. Lich especially has specific powers for kineticsts and alchemists you'd probably take right away as those classes, then then other more universal powers as you progress.

Thr mythic feats/abilities are the real meat for build flexibility and those are consistent across all MPs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
How good is Trickster?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

The amusing bit about Lich is that so much of its bullshit is... actually bad against Undead. Like, cool, everything you do is Super Negative Energy Saiyajin, cold damage, ability damage ! Guess who's 100% immune to all that stuff ?

Lich does have a cute spell where you hit an undead for d8 per caster level and heal yourself for the same amount(works with allied undead creatures too).

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I'm planning to do a Lich run and I've got a few questions:

How do Mythical Spells work? Are they just spells added to your existing spells? Do non spell casters get access to them? If so what kind of progression do they use? Can they be combined with the Magus's spell-strike? Any interactions with Multiclassing? And how would it work with the Mythic Theurge perstige class?

Any "don't do X" quest choices I should be aware of that would lock me out of Lichdom? Likewise, are there any skill checks that are required to unlock this path?

Around what level should I expect to get the the Mythic Path?

What are the passive benefits of becoming a Lich? I assume being considered an undead is one of them.

Are mercenaries back in the game and if so can I make them into undead?

If I have a mount, can I make it undead?

Are there respec options?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Blockhouse posted:

How good is Trickster?

I don't think it actually matters, it's going to be in everyone's top 3 replays just to see how funny/crazy they can get.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SweetBro posted:

I'm planning to do a Lich run and I've got a few questions:

How do Mythical Spells work? Are they just spells added to your existing spells? Do non spell casters get access to them? If so what kind of progression do they use? Can they be combined with the Magus's spell-strike? Any interactions with Multiclassing?

Any "don't do X" quest choices I should be aware of that would lock me out of Lichdom? Likewise, are there any skill checks that are required to unlock this path?

Around what level should I expect to get the the Mythic Path?

What are the passive benefits of becoming a Lich? I assume being considered an undead is one of them.

Are mercenaries back in the game and if so can I make them into undead?

If I have a mount, can I make it undead?

Are there respec options?

It's a separate spellbook. They do not get added to your existing spells. No matter the class, you get access to them. You progress the spellbook as you advance in mythic rank (you gain 2 caster levels per mythic rank).
The exception to this is spellbook merge, available only to Angel(cleric, oracle) and Lich (full arcane casters). In this case, the mythic spells become part of your standard spellbook and the mythic rank is added to your caster level (so a wizard who is level 10 and mythic rank 4 is treated as level 14 wizard for example).

You settle on a mythic path at the end of chapter 2 . Choice of mythic and mythic ranks are determined by story progression, not your level, but you should be around lv10 at that point)

Lich, aside from undead traits, gets a free skeleton bodyguard and undead summons.

Mercs are back in the game, but you cannot make them undead (though Dhampirs are a race now you can choose).

You can turn mount undead, but that is kinda bad now (undead use CHA for hit points, so your mount suddenly tons of HP).

Yes, there is a standard respec NPC and there will be mods for more complete options

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

You're lovely, thank you.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

How good is Trickster?

It's less obviously powerful than the other mythics imo. You have to figure out how to make the abilities work to break the game and they have more options and control over the abilities you get as a Trickster instead of the free powers the other mythics get. This is in the form of tricks that start out basic and can be ranked up twice afterwards to get more powerful effects. You can do stuff like immediately try to demoralise enemies when combat starts and then paralyze anyone who fails the save, get free magic items whenever you rest, have every item you get be +1 higher than it should be (so you can get +6 gear at endgame I think), perform an opportunity attack whenever you would trigger one (so you can literally kill people just by running passed them), go invisible with a stealth check or dispel magic with trickery etc. They also get some unique feats like Improved improved improved critical and be able to perform healing sneak attacks on allies.

Their spell list is mostly joke abilities like summoning beer elementals, growing a magnificent moustache or actually powerful stuff like getting auto-20's on every roll.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
PC Gamer has a big article about WOTR with comments from a bunch of Owlcat staff.

quote:

The adventure paths are varied too, telling stories about all kinds of characters, from pirates and thieves to runelords and detectives. Owlcat has a shortlist of favorites they'd like to implement. I have to ask though, is Reign of Winter one of them? Maybe the most out-there adventure path, in Reign of Winter the players get hold of the infamous witch Baba Yaga's magic hut, and then use it to cross space and time. They leave Golarion behind, traveling first to a planet called Triaxus and then to Earth, where they visit Siberia and fight Rasputin. It's gloriously demented: Doctor Who with swords and a chicken-hut TARDIS.

"Reign of Winter is the adventure path we sometimes joke about," says Alexander, "because by the end of the Reign of Winter you are returning through time and space to the Russian Empire back in the start of the 20th century, I guess it's something like 1910? You're running across a train with people shooting at you and headless Cossacks chasing you and whatnot."

It's "too weird" he says, breaking my heart.

quote:

Another stretch goal promised to add one of Pathfinder's animal-themed species as a playable option, and let backers vote for their favorite out of catfolk, ratfolk, and the fox people called kitsune. Alexander says that, given the popularity of cats on the internet, it seemed like catfolk might have an edge over the others. "It was like, 'Oh yeah, out of those three, cats kinda have an advantage.' But then the foxes start winning."

The foxes continued winning, ending up with 52% of the final vote (surprisingly, ratfolk came second), and the kitsune ended up in the final game. "It's a kind of internal joke in the studio," says Oleg, "because to be honest Alexander was... I can't say against animal races in the game, but he believes that it to a certain extent spoils the consistency of the world."

"When you add a bunch of animalistic races it starts to work out closer to a fairy tale," Alexander explains.

quote:

Finally, before I let them off the hook I have to ask about the possibility of a secret ending. Kingmaker had one, and players spent weeks puzzling it out until finally discovering the exact sequence of steps required. (Basically, it involves romancing a character you might not think is romanceable, via an extremely specific and sometimes obscure set of actions.) It's a motivation to replay a game that can stretch to 100 hours, and a way of bringing the community together as they work together to figure it out. Is there something similar in Wrath of the Righteous? "Let's say we like our secrets" is all Alexander will tell me.

Oleg throws me a bone, though for all I know he's pulling my leg. "We don't even have a secret ending," he says, "we have a super secret ending."
https://www.pcgamer.com/thanks-to-kingmakers-comeback-pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous-can-be-a-sandbox-as-varied-as-a-tabletop-campaign/

William Bear fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 27, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They should totally do Reign of Winter because it’s so weird.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't think it actually matters, it's going to be in everyone's top 3 replays just to see how funny/crazy they can get.

Is a Trickster run this game’s Malkavian run?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 27, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It feels like Reign of Winter is also one of those ones that might have unintended political messaging in Russia with how it has Anastasia as a plot NPC.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CottonWolf posted:

They should totally do Reign of Winter because it’s so weird.

I'd rather have Iron Gods if we want to go full weirdness.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what's with the Gold Dragon path? It's on the website and all, but not in the Beta given lack of info?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

pentyne posted:

Really enjoyed these videos breaking down all the mythic abilities and feats, pointing out what works and what may not really be worth it. Obviously lots of synergy and exotic combinations possible but does point out which mythic abilities/feats are a waste of a slot if you can get that ability elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxc8d_QnstE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCM_BZONn-o

Do these come in a form that isn't an hour and a half of video?

Because I'm not watching an hour and a half of video, but I would like to know this information. It's a shame that the Internet seems to have forgotten how to write an article, which would be a much more sensible way to describe a list of feats.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what's with the Gold Dragon path? It's on the website and all, but not in the Beta given lack of info?

From what I've gathered it and the Swarm path are sorta secret "endgame" paths you really only get into in Ch. 5, which wasn't released into the beta. There are story/ability datamines that people have found from the beta builds but nothing really solid on the whys/hows/what you get and whens of it all.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope there are some negatives to switching mythic path so late. I don’t want them to seem like the obvious paths a Good or Evil character should take.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Probably the negative might be "your character isn't build for this", like from what we've seen of gold dragon it basically gives you a ton of physical stats to become a melee power house? Do dunno if a wizard would want to switch to that.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Ethiser posted:

I hope there are some negatives to switching mythic path so late. I don’t want them to seem like the obvious paths a Good or Evil character should take.

We know very little about how Gold Dragon works but for Swarm at least that is definitely not the case

Mild~ish Swarm spoilers -
You have to choose several 'research' options to pursue it, and at least one NPC will warn you explicitly that going down this road will have dire consequences with all of your companions + the crusade at large, it's for sure not presented as the 'default' Evil option

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Prism posted:

Because I'm not watching an hour and a half of video, but I would like to know this information. It's a shame that the Internet seems to have forgotten how to write an article, which would be a much more sensible way to describe a list of feats.

If you're just interested in finding out what Mythic Feats and Abilities there are they are already on the wiki:

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Mythic+Path

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

That excitement carried over to the videogame's other mythic paths, all of which needed to be just as extra. A lot of concepts were thrown around, and it wasn't easy to cull them down to the nine in the finished game. "It was a huge fight inside the team," Alexander says. "Which ones should be going in? I don't remember the exact amount of them, but it was way more."

"It was 16 from the beginning," Oleg says with a sigh. "And I said we'd all die [if we tried] to make all of them. Because initially I wanted just four, or maybe six at maximum. Yeah." He sighs again.

really curious what the other ones were

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Demigod is an obvious mythic path but maybe it's a step beyond these. Elemental, hierophant super druid nature type, and cultivation novel protagonist are also options. Some kind of techno mad scientist.

Does pathfinder have the slaad and gith races? Mind flayers?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

bagrada posted:

Those are all D&D IP.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Elemental
Genie/Djinn
Archmage
Daemon
Beast/Werewolf/Archdruid type stuff
Protean
Asura

There's a lot of random crap you could theoretically pull from

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

bagrada posted:

Slaad are replaced by Proteans, who are basically the same thing but snakes instead of toads. The closest thing to gith are shulsaga and only in the context of humanoids that live in the astral plane. Mind Flayers are replaced by seugathi and Neothelids who are for not product identity despite being a mindflayer offshoot. I think they may have been dropped into the Tome of Horrors back during the time when OGL included even product identity creatures that weren't yet published into an official 3rd edition D&D product, then was grandfathered in.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Those are all D&D IP.
Ironically while Slaad are closed content two of the slaad lords aren't because they were in the Tome of Horrors as well. Same thing with Beholders being closed content but Eyes of the Deep being OGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Prism posted:

The videos have chapter links for every ability in the description, so you can click on the ones you're interested in. Most of them are a minute or so of description and potential use. He describes some synergies for the feats/abilities as well, like how elemental barrage is way more useful once you get quicken spell and higher level spells and some that may be more useful in Turn-based vs RTWP.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 27, 2021