Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Five Guys is good because they are consistent across the board. Yes a bit expensive but who cares, still way better than anything cheaper.

The best cheaper option is making your own.

The problem with that is most people don't know how to make their own. I couldn't count how many times I've been to a cookout and had to eat hockey pucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't seen many sales on beef but prices don't seem too terrible. If anything chuck steak has gone up in price the most. I grab a london broil to make beef and noodles with and it's barely up a dollar in the last year.
Everyone said chicken was going to skyrocket because of covid but it's been at or below $1.89/lb consistently for the last two years. Aldi frequently has it for $1.69/lb.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The problem with that is most people don't know how to make their own. I couldn't count how many times I've been to a cookout and had to eat hockey pucks.

Haha, well yeah if you are able to. Smashburgers are pretty easy to make, hard to beat those using quality beef.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

See, the problem with McDonald's and other fast food places is they are not very consistent tho, at least not here. The quality of a Big Mac can vary between store to store, and there are some stores that are so bad that you avoid them completely. Whether it's lovely management, employees, who knows, but I've been to many different five guys across the state and they have all been right on par. Taco Bell is another one that is very consistent through all their stores.

I'm not trying to say five guys is great, but overall I like it because I know what I'm gonna get consistently. Still looking for that GREAT burger place but haven't found it yet.
That's an interesting observation, because I find McDs (and BK for that matter) remarkably consistent. Even between :canada: and :911:, ignoring some menu differences.

I've had 5Guys a grand total of twice and wasn't impressed. I found their fries to be some of the worst I've had. Not that I'm a fry snob, but if I'm going to have them (and they brag them up.. HERE IS YOUR BAGFULL OF FRIES) I'd hope they were decent, and I did not care for them. But, that might just be me.

I miss Fudruckers.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Fudruckers! I will never forget late 80’s going with our neighbors for some reason, downtown Nashville, when there was literally no reason to go down there then other than a “fancy” restaurant. Our neighbor buddy ordered, I forget how but something about just touching the grill for a second. When I say it was a raw meat burger it was raw meat. He loved it.

If you are absolutely inept and have a grill buy a pack of Bubba frozen burgers and slap them on a flaming hot grill. Unless you cook them to hockey puck status they will be great. For $2 a burger.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Imagined posted:

The worst burger I ever had was a White Castle vending machine burger at a Greyhound bus station somewhere between Kansas and Indiana, which does go some way toward disproving the 'hunger = best spice' hypothesis. There was no amount of hunger-spice in the world that could make that thing good.

Oh wow. This is you, you did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3A61kAGr8

Edit: I just realized another problem I have with Five Guys. The peanuts. I have the dubious honor of an adult-onset peanut allergy. Shame because I love peanuts. About five years ago I found I couldn't eat peanut butter at night or I'd have terrible indigestion and heartburn. It's gotten worse from there but peanuts don't send me into anaphylaxis or nothing. I think however I've finally found a mystery source of continual gastro problems, so that's nice. Now I just have to try to avoid peanut oil.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 27, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

That's an interesting observation, because I find McDs (and BK for that matter) remarkably consistent. Even between :canada: and :911:, ignoring some menu differences.

BK is the worst offender, I gave up on them a long time ago. Shame because I used to LOVE me a whopper, but BK just loving sucks down here.

When I was a kid BK was the best by far :smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

My best friend moved here about 5 years ago, we were here for his wedding in 2019 and I haven't seen him since. I also desperately needed a mental health escape and he invited me so here I am.
We just hit some comic and toy stores which was good for my soul.

Tomorrow BBQ!

Right on. Enjoy the heat and humidity.
Wish I could recommend an eatery or whatever, but I have low standards, soooo...
The Porch in "Deep Ellum" is supposed to be one of the best burgers in TX, and I can confirm that what I had there was tasty as. Angry Dog down there is pretty good for burgers and dogs, too.
I'd recommend Keith's Comics, multiple locations in the Dallas area, mainly because my cousin is assistant manager of the North Dallas store. :P

If you happen to end up int he mid-cities for some reason, there's a vintage toy store on Brown Trail near SH183 - "Retro Madness". It's flanked by an actual retro arcade, and a vintage record store that also sells vintage audio gear.

edit:

STR posted:

I'm sorry. Make sure to check out I-635. :v: The intersection at I-30 and I-35E is also a blast!

Don't do that to him. That's just mean.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Whataburger, In-N-Out, Culvers. In that order.

Whataburgers is now owned by a Chicago company, so YMMV. A lot, apparently.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 27, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

I haven't seen many sales on beef but prices don't seem too terrible. If anything chuck steak has gone up in price the most. I grab a london broil to make beef and noodles with and it's barely up a dollar in the last year.
Everyone said chicken was going to skyrocket because of covid but it's been at or below $1.89/lb consistently for the last two years. Aldi frequently has it for $1.69/lb.

So grocery stores really, really don't want to raise prices on staples like meat. Essentially, they have been, though a combination of hedging and eating in their profits, keeping meat (and other staple) prices low to keep you from going to a store that hasn't raised prices. This won't last forever and if wholesale prices stay high, your prices will go up too.
Wholesalers who sell to restaurants have much lower margins both can't and won't do this. So meat prices for restaurants goes up sooner and faster.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Where do y'all live that even Wal-Mart-tier 75/25 ground beef isn't at least $5.99/pound unless you buy it in the frozen pink-slime tube?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I found this article, well, not satisfying, but it put into words some feelings.
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/12/it...D_IEZqvkxPfxu0c

Also, I enjoyed Five Guys when I first encountered them traveling for work in, I believe it was North Carolina, and was pretty happy when they started showing up here in TX.
There's a "gastropub" here that makes burgers that are good, but, boy, $$.
I'm waiting for CH Burgers to re-open. That's the burger-only offshoot of The Chop House steak house, and they were very good, if a bit pricey. They closed the burger-only spots during C19. I haven't checked if they've reopened recently. Guess I should do that.

edit: dammit, still closed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Our 50+ year local grocery is going out of business (I imagine selling the land for more than it’s worth to stay open) and they always have ground beef for $2-3 a pound. But they buy whole cows and people drive from all over to buy meat there.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

slidebite posted:

Burger-wise i haven't noticed too much drift. The fries are where you discern between your run-of-the-mill McD and "holy poo poo this is what a good fry should be like". Wife and I keep a mental list of good golden arches on our drives. For example: King City McDonalds on the 101 between SF and LA has not disappointed me yet in the fry department. The one in Vallejo just over the Martinez bridge? Utter trash.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The cloud will save us. :toot:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/27/22644161/microsoft-azure-database-vulnerabilty-chaosdb

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I don’t eat a ton of beef outside the house but at home we eat a lot. We buy a 1/4 cow every six months or so and from our local grass-fed farm it works out to about $5.66/lb which is unbeatable as an average at the local stores. That includes ground beef, ribs, steaks, roasts, organs etc. nothing beats a grass-fed filet mingon or ribeye for 1/4 the price of the grocery store.

When I’m traveling for work though, I always try to search out Five Guys and get two bacon cheeseburgers in the lettuce wrap with pretty much all the toppings. Fills me to the point of bursting and I find that they’ve all been of equal quality so far.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Five guys fries are better the next day reheated in an air fryer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I don’t eat a ton of beef outside the house but at home we eat a lot. We buy a 1/4 cow every six months or so and from our local grass-fed farm it works out to about $5.66/lb which is unbeatable as an average at the local stores. That includes ground beef, ribs, steaks, roasts, organs etc. nothing beats a grass-fed filet mingon or ribeye for 1/4 the price of the grocery store.

This is what we do, grass fed/grass finished beef from a local farm. We have found that 1/4 beef is exactly the right amount and will last 6-8 months. 1/2 beef is a bit too ambitious. Delicous roasts. I personally am not too crazy about the smell of grass fed beef, so like steaks and the ground has a bit of a funk but it is healthier or whatev so I deal with it.

The real nightmare is that pork has gone so stupidly expensive. $6/lb for a ribs at Costco is criminal. It used to be 2.79-2.99. When I consider the cost of the wood pellets to smoke having ribs for $60-70 is a lot less exciting than when it was $35. Pork shoulder is still reasonably priced.

EDIT: Cobra Kai has already been renewed for season FIVE so that is the best news I will hear all day

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 27, 2021

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Haha, well yeah if you are able to. Smashburgers are pretty easy to make, hard to beat those using quality beef.

I think burgers are pretty easy to make and have them turn out at least OK. Just most people do every step wrong.
Quality beef: USDA grade A 93/7. Nothing but the best.
Add your favorite grilling seasoning, and mix it into your beef. Really work it in good, like kneading dough.
Grill over charcoal for that smokey flavor. Just wait for the lighter fluid to burn off and you're good to go.
Smash them on the grill and watch the flames jump up before flipping.
Burgers are done? Add cheese on top straight from the fridge. Leave the lid off the grill so you can watch it melt.
Mmm mm.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’m going to disagree and want some more fat like 15 in there or you are going to get dry quick. A good grill master/dad can handle lean

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
You should disagree with all of that because it's how you get dry, dense, overdone hockey pucks

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Add your favorite grilling seasoning, and mix it into your beef. Really work it in good, like kneading dough.

I disagree (but not strongly so, all home made burgs are cool and good). Don’t knead the beef, it’ll give it a meatball/sausage like texture.

Form balls, not too loose but not too tight. No thawed beef, fresh only. Place on hot frying pan, wait a minute, smash that burg (I use the bottom of a stainless steel cappuccino milk pitcher). Fry, flip, add cheese, place in heated bun with desired condiments, devour.

80/20 beef. Cheese that melts easily. Pickles, Mayo, ketchup, red onions, maybe some lettuce and tomatoes.

I once bet my wife I could make burgs in under 15 minutes and I made it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

luminalflux posted:

Burger-wise i haven't noticed too much drift. The fries are where you discern between your run-of-the-mill McD and "holy poo poo this is what a good fry should be like". Wife and I keep a mental list of good golden arches on our drives. For example: King City McDonalds on the 101 between SF and LA has not disappointed me yet in the fry department. The one in Vallejo just over the Martinez bridge? Utter trash.
From what I understand McDs used different deep fry oil depending on where you are. It might have just been a few years ago when they were going away from hydrogenated and low/zero trans, so it might be complete now, but it certainly used to be a thing and you could definitely tell something was different in the taste. But I still like McDs fries.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Grill over charcoal for that smokey flavor. Just wait for the lighter fluid to burn off and you're good to go.

:chloe:

Get a chimney starter don't use lighter fluid.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

everdave posted:

I’m going to disagree and want some more fat like 15 in there or you are going to get dry quick. A good grill master/dad can handle lean

85/15 or 80/20 are premium burg mixes

Thumposaurus posted:

100% game changer when I started using these like six years ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Don't know if any of you guys saw that twitter thing with David Grohl and that little girl, Nandi Bushnell during the first lockdown... she's that kid that murders the drums like a prodigy, but they finally had her play with Foo Fighters last night.

https://twitter.com/DMBGorgeCrew/status/1431252267949178880

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KozmoNaut posted:

Alternatively, use nextdns.io, it's basically a cloud-based pi-hole. AdGuard is another option. I use a pi-hole at home, and nextdns on my phone, when I'm out in the world.

There is a small trap with using remote DNS rather than ISP provided. It’s fine for most things, but for users in far flung lands, it can mess up Content Delivery Networks, so instead of your software updates, Steam downloads, streaming video coming from the closest server to you (often on your ISP’s network or very close by) they come from one closest to the DNS provider. If that’s a state over or a few states over, not such a problem but for some users it could result in your traffic bouncing halfway around the world. If you don’t notice anything it’s fine, but if you notice software updates, app stores or whatever being slower than they should, try switching nextdns/Google DNS or whatever off and see if that’s it.

As for beef, here we export all the best stuff (literally, 95% of our food production is exported) and get charged “global market prices” for everything so it’s all loving expensive. But it’s always funny to hear about “grass fed” beef, like, yes, that’s what cows eat?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My observation on fast food restaurant quality from one restaurant to another is like some reverse nativism or something: like, if the staff of that restaurant are mostly young native-born Americans? The kind of people boomers imagine work in fast food? Prepare for your order to be wrong, subpar, and slow. But if the staff are middle-aged immigrants who speak to each other in something other than English? You're gonna have that food perfectly done in your hand before you can get the change in your wallet. My hypothesis is that it's nothing to do with race or language, but rather that American kids maybe think they're too good to do a low-status job well, since they've been told their whole lives that "flipping burgers" is the worst job you can have.

We even noticed this between different shifts at the same McDonald's. Like, the early early morning crew at our local were a bunch of middle-aged ladies who spoke spanish with each other. They would have the bag with your food hanging out the second window before you were done paying at the first, exactly correct. The evening shift, though, were all American teens and they were slow as gently caress and constantly screwed it up.

Maybe if we paid people a decent living wage and had good universal healthcare then people even in jobs like that could take pride in their work, since they were treated with respect, like human beings? :iiam:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

I was skeptical once, but found that they work incredibly well.

slidebite posted:

Don't know if any of you guys saw that twitter thing with David Grohl and that little girl, Nandi Bushnell during the first lockdown... she's that kid that murders the drums like a prodigy, but they finally had her play with Foo Fighters last night.

https://twitter.com/DMBGorgeCrew/status/1431252267949178880

Fuckin’ A!
:thumbsup:

Imagined posted:

My observation on fast food restaurant quality from one restaurant to another is like some reverse nativism or something: like, if the staff of that restaurant are mostly young native-born Americans? The kind of people boomers imagine work in fast food? Prepare for your order to be wrong, subpar, and slow. But if the staff are middle-aged immigrants who speak to each other in something other than English? You're gonna have that food perfectly done in your hand before you can get the change in your wallet. My hypothesis is that it's nothing to do with race or language, but rather that American kids maybe think they're too good to do a low-status job well, since they've been told their whole lives that "flipping burgers" is the worst job you can have.

We even noticed this between different shifts at the same McDonald's. Like, the early early morning crew at our local were a bunch of middle-aged ladies who spoke spanish with each other. They would have the bag with your food hanging out the second window before you were done paying at the first, exactly correct. The evening shift, though, were all American teens and they were slow as gently caress and constantly screwed it up.

Maybe if we paid people a decent living wage and had good universal healthcare then people even in jobs like that could take pride in their work, since they were treated with respect, like human beings? :iiam:

Utter poppycock!
Get out of here with your anti-capitalism propaganda, you communist.
I agree 100%

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Chimney starters rule, I use one tailgating. I picked up the Weber Performer with a propane starter at home which is a pro move.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Imagined posted:

I've noticed that to some degree, but have also noticed certain crews in general just suck, and it's probably a combination of lovely management and staff that just don't give a gently caress. A new Dunkin Donuts recently opened within a five minute walk from my house and initially it was fine, but has since turned to poo poo with the employees there clearly not giving a gently caress and going through the motions seemingly without any kind of manager or boss keeping things in check. However the crew in the Dunkin I used to go to (and still do now) are much better, and you can actually see a manager delegating and keeping things moving. I make these observations because i have worked in the service industry for a long time and notice poo poo like that.

That's why five guys impresses me in that regard, they manage to keep their poo poo together throughout all their stores and I imagine it's not an easy thing to do. I don't think I've ever witnessed a bad crew at a five guys.

Also why anyone would use starting fluid on charcoal these days is beyond me, I haven't done that in decades. Chimney starters FTW.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BuckyDoneGun posted:

As for beef, here we export all the best stuff (literally, 95% of our food production is exported) and get charged “global market prices” for everything so it’s all loving expensive. But it’s always funny to hear about “grass fed” beef, like, yes, that’s what cows eat?

Factory-farmed grocery store beef cows in the US eat corn and other grain leftovers from the ag industry, so grass-fed beef is distinct from “standard” beef. It’s usually more expensive and done on a smaller scale.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

I found this article, well, not satisfying, but it put into words some feelings.
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/12/it...D_IEZqvkxPfxu0c

My mom has started shaming people with this exact response. She's slowly dying, and trapped in her house because people are too selfish and willfully ignorant to take a free, safe, effective vaccine. She's pissed, and rightfully so.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
i am not sure if i need clown face paint or not - i noticed my horrible ex wife had bald tires (bought this prius new cash in 2016) so knowing she would claim she had no money or time (despite having no job) i got 4 brand new tires. and told the boys at the tire shop to put them on and i'd come pay them after. she has not picked up the tires after 3 days.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

everdave posted:

i am not sure if i need clown face paint or not - i noticed my horrible ex wife had bald tires (bought this prius new cash in 2016) so knowing she would claim she had no money or time (despite having no job) i got 4 brand new tires. and told the boys at the tire shop to put them on and i'd come pay them after. she has not picked up the tires after 3 days.

Is she driving your kids around in this car or are you just the nicest sucker person on the planet?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Imagined posted:

Is she driving your kids around in this car or are you just the nicest sucker person on the planet?

of course otherwise she can burn in hell - yes she drives the kids in a modern Toyota I can’t let them be on bald tires

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's rough. That would make me insane too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The new tires are on the porch. My shop knows to put them on no charge. Ridiculous

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jesus h Christ there’s some bad burger opinions itt

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think burgers are pretty easy to make and have them turn out at least OK. Just most people do every step wrong.
Quality beef: USDA grade A 93/7. Nothing but the best.
Smash them on the grill and watch the flames jump up before flipping.
Burgers are done? Add cheese on top straight from the fridge. Leave the lid off the grill so you can watch it melt.
Mmm mm.

Ban+30 this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to Cattleack BBQ

Meats coma now