Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Hi thread, I'm looking to replace my R11 with something that can be useful for te next 5-8 years. I was thinking about spending around $500 (probably on the 713)but if I can get a Pixelbook Go with the i5/16/128 configuration for about $700 should I jump on that? Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fanny packrat posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking to replace my R11 with something that can be useful for te next 5-8 years. I was thinking about spending around $500 (probably on the 713)but if I can get a Pixelbook Go with the i5/16/128 configuration for about $700 should I jump on that? Thanks in advance!

Good timing; I'm typing this on my newly-purchased Pixelbook! I finally bought one (the 2017 model) as refurbs go for decent prices; I got the top end i7 model (originally like $1.5k IIRC) for under $500, which I think was a great deal for the device itself and it also has another 3 years of software updates. I tested it out a bit, everything seems to work and it's in good shape, with just some scuffs along the edges that suggest it was used in a business environment where it was handled mostly carefully by an adult. Performance is great, the display is excellent, the hinges are tight, etc., so no regerts so far. This, for example, is another listing from the same seller, although this one is more expensive albeit in better condition, and I'd consider this one to be a good deal as well.

So with that in mind, I'll reiterate that if someone's in the market for a CB, they'll be happy with basically any device that hits the minimum performance requirements; the rest is down to personal preference, as in whether you want a convertible or not, or maybe a large display, or a touchscreen, etc. One thing to note is that while whatever device you buy will likely still be intact in 5+ years, it's probably not going to come with 8 years of official updates. You can get around that, eventually, either by installing Cloudready or perhaps if the CB is new enough where they've separated the OS/drivers from the browser and thus continue to push browser/security updates indefinitely.

Is that PB Go for ~$700 a good choice? It probably is just fine, although I don't have one yet myself. You can get a good CB by spending even less than that though, and if you want a convertible similar to the R11 then any of the options from Acer/Asus/HP should be fine.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

fanny packrat posted:

I have the Pixelbook Go and I really, really like the form factor of it. It feels really solid and typing on it is really comfortable. It's my main device that I use.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
This is my current Chromebook, and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. I use it exclusively for traveling/mobile stuff (like, it's my main system for playing D&D), but not for my primary anything (obviously, it hasn't seen a lot of use in the last couple of years). The main productivity app I use on it is Google Keep, occasionally pull out like a minor app for something like tracking initiative. Streaming, email, and web-browsing are the biggies, occasionally I'll remote into my desktop if I need Windows for something while I'm out. For $250, it has served me incredibly well. Looking around, it seems like nobody is making 15" Chromebooks anymore? Is there a good refurb from the last couple of years I might be able to pick up, or am I stuck with 13.5" screens?

Edit: Not gonna say money is no object, but the $600 Pixelbook Go was looking good until I saw it is only 13.3". I plan to do a lot more traveling over the next few years, so I'd like something decent, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 22, 2021

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The Asus C523 can be had for 270-400 depending on the specs. There is also the 2 in 1 Asus CM5/CX5 that are higher end.

Edit: The C523 is harder to recommend because it's older and all the models still for sale are 4 GB of ram.

It looks like the CM5/CX5 should be available soon, but isn't for sale yet. I've seen a couple YouTube reviews for it.

Edit2: The Asus C536 is the successor to the C523 and Best Buy has a model for $569 with an Intel i3 11th gen.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2021

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

This is my current Chromebook, and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. I use it exclusively for traveling/mobile stuff (like, it's my main system for playing D&D), but not for my primary anything (obviously, it hasn't seen a lot of use in the last couple of years). The main productivity app I use on it is Google Keep, occasionally pull out like a minor app for something like tracking initiative. Streaming, email, and web-browsing are the biggies, occasionally I'll remote into my desktop if I need Windows for something while I'm out. For $250, it has served me incredibly well. Looking around, it seems like nobody is making 15" Chromebooks anymore? Is there a good refurb from the last couple of years I might be able to pick up, or am I stuck with 13.5" screens?

Edit: Not gonna say money is no object, but the $600 Pixelbook Go was looking good until I saw it is only 13.3". I plan to do a lot more traveling over the next few years, so I'd like something decent, and I'm willing to pay for it.

There definitely are more 15"+ options than there used to be, it's just that many people are perhaps better served with a more portable device in the 12-14" range. Something like this Lenovo C340-15 might be what you're looking for, but for models with 8+ GB of RAM (plus a backlit keyboard) it looks like the Acer CB715 is a solid choice.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

The Asus C523 can be had for 270-400 depending on the specs. There is also the 2 in 1 Asus CM5/CX5 that are higher end.

Edit: The C523 is harder to recommend because it's older and all the models still for sale are 4 GB of ram.

It looks like the CM5/CX5 should be available soon, but isn't for sale yet. I've seen a couple YouTube reviews for it.

Edit2: The Asus C536 is the successor to the C523 and Best Buy has a model for $569 with an Intel i3 11th gen.

Atomizer posted:

There definitely are more 15"+ options than there used to be, it's just that many people are perhaps better served with a more portable device in the 12-14" range. Something like this Lenovo C340-15 might be what you're looking for, but for models with 8+ GB of RAM (plus a backlit keyboard) it looks like the Acer CB715 is a solid choice.

Okay, I'm not in any particular rush, I was only asking now because it's Prime Day and I thought there might be something too good to pass up; I'd like to have a new one by November (long weekend trip to visit my parents), but I definitely want one by March (three week trip to Japan). I think I'm going to hold out for the CM5/CX5, see what the post-release reviews are like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want a drat Pixelbook successor.

I mean, the new Spin 713 hits all the spec marks and it's a fine device, but it's such a boring form factor.

Just remake the Pixelbook with minimal bezels and updated internals and I would be happy.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I use an iphone 7 with unlimited minutes, texts and data as a personal hotspot for my chromebook and windows 10 pro laptop.

I would like to get something like ichat on my chromebook/win laptop that would send and receive texts via the hotspot (using the texts available) and ideally integrate those texts with ichat.

I have searched the web and only found a lot of useless waffle about android phones and flags that don't exist on chrome.

Any suggestions, please?

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking about getting a silent laptop that I can use in bed that I can install Linux on and run a SNES emulator and maybe basic 2d steam games. It must be fanless and have quiet key presses. Also a headphone jack.

Does that sound like a Chromebook? Or would another laptop brand be better for this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mantari posted:

I'm thinking about getting a silent laptop that I can use in bed that I can install Linux on and run a SNES emulator and maybe basic 2d steam games. It must be fanless and have quiet key presses. Also a headphone jack.

Does that sound like a Chromebook? Or would another laptop brand be better for this?

What's your price range? At the top of the line fanless, you've got the MacBook air for $899 if you know anyone with a .edu email address

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

What's your price range? At the top of the line fanless, you've got the MacBook air for $899 if you know anyone with a .edu email address

Actually I have convinced the wife to give me her old laptop that she barely used.
It's a Samsung 535u3c and once I put an SSD in it should do pretty much what I want it to. I was looking to spend as little as possible and have achieved that nicely.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’m thinking about getting an 11 inch Chromebook to replace my ancient OG iPad Air. My usage is mostly just watching Plex and reading the web (these here forums). My hopes are for touch screen, clamshell/laptop form factor (not the tablet style like Lenovo Duet), and as many years of software update as possible. What models should I be looking for?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Here is the list of all Chromebook models and when they end support. Previously it was 5 years of support per board from introduction date, then recently it was changed so newer models have support for 8 years. I looked at all the clamshell 11 inch models at https://www.google.com/chromebook/shop/ and the support list at https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366. There are a handful of models that will have support to 2025 or 2026. You might have better options if you include all the flip models, because most of the cheapest chromebooks (of which these are) are on sale fairly regularly.

Edit: The Lenovo C340 11 can be had for $199 at the moment at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-C...latin/427724635 and will be supported until June 2026.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 5, 2021

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Great, thank you!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone have any feedback on the Lenovo Chromebook Duet? My current chromebook has a busted hinge and it is time for a replacement.

I primarily use the device for web browsing and youtube, so it doesnt need to do a whole lot of heavy lifting. The kickstand is also appealing because I am thinking I can use it as a tablet for DnDBeyond since my group runs games through it.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 27, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a nice little cheap device. It isn't going to win any performance awards, but it's fine for light duty. Screen is fine, just not super bright or saturated.

It's a well valued device.

It's funny though because I just received shipment of the new HP X2 which is this same concept done premium. It's a bit overpriced, but I'm a sucker for premium build quality.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have a Duet as a secondary Chromebook for use as a tablet. I like it, very good for light use or to bring to a coffee shop. Wonderful value even with the 128 GB model.

Asus is also doing their take on a 10 inch detachable keyboard and a slightly newer MediaTek processor. The Asus CM3 is $369 with 64 GB of storage and a built in USI stylus. It's probably more capable than the Duet, but the $100 increase in price lowers the value proposition a lot compared to the Duet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The HP X2 11 which I mentioned (and I'm typing this on right now) is running the Snapdragon 7C which puts it somewhere around Snapdraon 855 levels of performance. It has 8gb of ram and 64gb eMMC. I wanted something a bit more premium while the same form factor as the Duet.

Like I said, a bit too pricey at $600, but there's a lot of other things about it. It also comes with the keyboard cover and kickstand and the keyboard cover does the surface trick of attaching to the bottom lip to firm up connection and angle the keyboard. The keys actually have very satisfying travel, much more similar to a regular keyboard and there's very nice feedback. It also comes with an magnetically attaching and inductive charging USI stylus.

Two other big things that can't be found in this segment.

1) Fingerprint reader
2) 3:2 screen (all praise 3.2)

It's also a premium metal build. So, it's certainly not for everyone but I don't feel like it's completely out of line for the price, when this thing eventually gets $150-$200 discounts, it will likely be a pretty compelling thing.

Honestly, this thing really feels a lot like a Chromebook Surface which is not a bad thing to be. I'm actually really impressed about how good the keyboard cover is. I always found the Duet on a bit difficult to use.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Theotus posted:

Does anyone have any feedback on the Lenovo Chromebook Duet? My current chromebook has a busted hinge and it is time for a replacement.

I primarily use the device for web browsing and youtube, so it doesnt need to do a whole lot of heavy lifting. The kickstand is also appealing because I am thinking I can use it as a tablet for DnDBeyond since my group runs games through it.

I actually wrote up my thoughts about it a few months ago in this thread, check my post history. In short though, it's a very nice value, particularly for the types of uses you mentioned: it's better for media consumption than creation (like any tablet) as it's a little awkward to use it with the keyboard case and kickstand. (You can't balance everything on your lap and type as easily as you can with a traditional laptop, and the keyboard is a little cramped, but otherwise it's nice to have the option for brief amounts of typing.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think 100% of my uses of a detachable keyboard have been when I quit on work early and am nowhere near home or office and forget to actually type up that last email

It has the added effect of signaling that you're busy so it's a cool visible DND option irl

E: in short they're situational af because of their limitations, but my perceptions of those limitations are basically zero when compared to "going to where work laptop or desktop PC are and booting them up"

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 30, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are those $100-150 Chromebooks even worth considering? This would be for someone that would spend 50% of their time on YouTube. Price point is important, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Are those $100-150 Chromebooks even worth considering? This would be for someone that would spend 50% of their time on YouTube. Price point is important, unfortunately.

You could potentially find a refurbished chromebook for $150 that can watch youtube and do basic web browsing. As someone who used a lovely 2015 dual core/4GB model for youtube/shitposting in bed until recently, those kinds of models can do that, but 1080p Twitch VODs were choppy on mine, and Youtube could do 1080p, but it was inconsistent. I suspect the $150 models I'm looking at right now would be similar, and most of those have small screens to boot.

edit: actually, I'm using another low-budget chromebook currently that's also 4GB of ram with a dual core Celeron N4020, and that can actually do youtube and poo poo just fine. My older model must've been a 2GB one, now that I think of it. The one I got cost something like $200 refurbished. It may be hard to find something decent with a 1080p screen at $150.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 2, 2021

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you treat them for what they are - disposable computers, then yes, they are pretty good at what they do.

A workplace I deal with found ~30 ancient dell chromebooks (2G mem/32G) in storage a while ago that came free with some deal (buy X, get free chromebook). Useless for any real power usage, but OS updated eventually (5 rounds of firmware updates iirc) and they still run zoom and youtube. So we donated them to families with kids so they could do remote learning.

A heads up is that usually they have very bad/weak wifi chipsets in them, so good coverage is needed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This Amazon Warehouse one for $175 seems like it could be decent at youtube/web browsing: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chro...011&s=pc&sr=1-3

It seems like a very similar spec to the one I use as a cheap browsing device, but with a bigger screen. If you must limit the expenditure to $150, then you're gonna have to drop down to 768p resolution along with smaller screens.

edit: There's also this: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-14e-C...11&s=pc&sr=1-11

The CPU is most likely mislabeled—at a 1.6GHz base clock, that'd be the A4-9120C, which has a 6W TDP as opposed to the A4-9120's 15W TDP. It seems to be positioned as a competitor to Intel's Celeron N4000 line. Same release year, same TDP, same core/thread count, similar clock speeds, but with a smaller L2 cache. I assume it'd handle all the basic web browsing and youtube stuff just fine as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks. ideally this would be in the sub $150 range, so i'm going to have to do some hunting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Does it absolutely have to be a Chromebook? Could you get away with a Kindle Fire tablet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Does it absolutely have to be a Chromebook? Could you get away with a Kindle Fire tablet?

i'm not sure, but i should probably consider it. those decent at video nowadays? she probably won't like the idea of making an amazon account.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Wait which $100-150 CBs are we talking about? There are some very low-spec ones that I'd avoid regardless of price, and some old ones that no longer receive software updates, but you could find a relatively cheap used/refurb'd CB with acceptable specs.

For media consumption, however, an Android tablet would suffice; really a device like a CB with physical inputs is ideal for content creation, so if you're just watching YT or whatever then a tablet would be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You could potentially find a refurbished chromebook for $150 that can watch youtube and do basic web browsing. As someone who used a lovely 2015 dual core/4GB model for youtube/shitposting in bed until recently, those kinds of models can do that, but 1080p Twitch VODs were choppy on mine, and Youtube could do 1080p, but it was inconsistent. I suspect the $150 models I'm looking at right now would be similar, and most of those have small screens to boot.

edit: actually, I'm using another low-budget chromebook currently that's also 4GB of ram with a dual core Celeron N4020, and that can actually do youtube and poo poo just fine. My older model must've been a 2GB one, now that I think of it. The one I got cost something like $200 refurbished. It may be hard to find something decent with a 1080p screen at $150.

One thing to remind everyone is that Google has been trying to push VP8 as the codec for YT, which didn't have hardware acceleration on older devices. That's why performance would suffer when playing video unless you used the h264ify extension that I recommend in the OP.

Rinkles posted:

i'm not sure, but i should probably consider it. those decent at video nowadays? she probably won't like the idea of making an amazon account.

The Fire HD tablets are excellent as cheap Android devices, as you can install the Google Play Store/Services and access almost all regular Android apps while ignoring Amazon's ecosystem. I use a 2017 Fire HD 10 as my daily YT viewer; I think I paid $70 for it including the wireless dock/cradle, and used the Fire Toolbox to install the Google stuff. It's a loving steal, and they regularly sell current and recent models like that one dirt cheap.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Atomizer posted:

The Fire HD tablets are excellent as cheap Android devices, as you can install the Google Play Store/Services and access almost all regular Android apps while ignoring Amazon's ecosystem. I use a 2017 Fire HD 10 as my daily YT viewer; I think I paid $70 for it including the wireless dock/cradle, and used the Fire Toolbox to install the Google stuff. It's a loving steal, and they regularly sell current and recent models like that one dirt cheap.

Totally agree. The Fire world be my first recommendation for an Android tablet and even the unmodified version is great. I keep one around just for vacation reading and videos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't realize Fire tablets didn't natively have proper YouTube apps.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Whoa wait what's all this advertising about using the newer Chromeos tablets as secondary monitors? Is this a thing I can do with my Slate or am I going to have to shell out $700 for a Yoga Tab 13 or whatever to get this?

I mean, that's about the cost of a portable secondary, but it also comes as a tablet. It's not a terrible idea...

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Looking for a recommendation for a recent model CB, no need for touchscreen or tablet modes, just a regular dumb laptop for chromebook stuff. Inexpensive would be ideal. I'm hoping to spend maybe ~$200 at most?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is a mediatek cpu a no no?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-chromebook-3-14-touch-laptop-mediatek-mt8183-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-arctic-grey/6447140.p?skuId=6447140

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

$200 max for a still-updated CB that's not horribly crippled is kind of difficult to find recommendations for, but the Lenovo Rinkles found is a good option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunately I missed the boat.

Target has the HD Fire 8 on sale. $60 and $80 for the regular and Plus versions. I’m guessing the extra ram is worth the $20? And just to be clear, I’d need to install Android for my sister to get proper YouTube access? (Sorry for using this thread for Fire questions, but the goons here have been helpful so far)

E:and the HD 10 is $100

E2: and the HD 10 Plus is $130

“Only $60 new? I should look into that. Oh but there’s a model with an extra gig of RAM for $20 extra. But hang on a second, the 10 inch had a more recent refresh and has 3GB of RAM standard, and is only $20 more. But for $30 there’s the Plus 10 HD, which has more RAM and is all round better.”

E3:oh right, and there are Lock Screen ads

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 7, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I got excited and then I saw this

Rinkles posted:

E3:oh right, and there are Lock Screen ads

And now I'm angry. gently caress you Amazon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently you can disable them with Fire Toolbox (which is also how you get Google services on the device).

Though I wonder if that’s something Amazon can track

E: these are on sale at Amazon too, btw

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 7, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mustache Ride posted:

I got excited and then I saw this

And now I'm angry. gently caress you Amazon

You can pay an extra $20 or so to remove those, too. It's really not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Any good sales on right now for a 13.3" Chromebook? My Acer C720 from 2011 has been out of support for a while and I'm getting more and more popups from websites saying "UPDATE YOUR CHROME" and it's probably time for me to look for something new.

I really don't care about touchscreen, or folding it over into a tablet mode or whatever. It's just a browsing/streaming station.