Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nvm pretty sure I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

Did that even end up making a difference? I don't fully remember but I think it was so he could go back to Earth and fuse with Gohan and that went to hell, so he fused with Vegeta who was dead anyway. And then he complained that being alive made SSJ3 less efficient when he was fighting Kid Buu, I think. Then I wanna say Elder Kai came back anyway when they wished people back partway into the last fight.

You can fuse while dead but Goku already used up all of his 24 hours (because going SSJ3 means you use up more time fsr??) and Vegeta still had all of his 24 hours.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually think Vegeta was just given special permission because someone got to fight buu

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Kild posted:

You can fuse while dead but Goku already used up all of his 24 hours (because going SSJ3 means you use up more time fsr??) and Vegeta still had all of his 24 hours.

That makes some sense, it's been a very long time since I read the Buu Saga, so I'm going off of Kakarot, which changed at least one thing (Bee getting shot).

Is the 24 hour thing a Baba/Yemma thing? I guess they could expedite the paperwork to get Vegeta to Earth given the circumstances!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually think Vegeta was just given special permission because someone got to fight buu

This works too. It's not exactly a noteworthy observation that the specifics are a bit wooly in Dragon Ball. My favorite moment was when Dende realized Vegeta's plan wouldn't work because of Porunga's resurrection limitations, but was reassured by the elder that they upgraded him off screen. That or Dende shrinking back to child form for the celebration!

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 26, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The only way to permanently put Goku six feet under and have him not come back by bullshit means is through death by illness. See: Future Trunks's timeline where Goku died from his heart virus and somehow wasn't able to deus ex machina himself back to life before his friends got murdered.

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone ever think about how Yajarobe is pretty much the entire reason there’s not an infinite stash of senzu beans?

You just know Korin's toilet was clogged for weeks once Yajirobe finished digesting all those senzu beans he ate back then.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i am going to kill Goku with dysentery

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maybe Bulma, Trunks, and Gohan should have just have blasted off into space to find New Namek and ask to use their dragon balls to teleport the androids into the sun and resurrect the people they'd killed but that's not as fun, I guess

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So Vegeta's new form is literally "please keep beating me, I love the taste of my own blood"?

Because that's pretty on point lol

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dark Knight game logic. Lower HP = Higher Damage & More Criticals. Like an always-on Zenkai that scales with how beaten to pigshit he's been.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

i still hate the look of ultra ego, but i love the concept of it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's just normal hair ssj3

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I'm digging Nightsoul Vegeta -Omen- but the angles downplayed his weird brow more often than not and just let him look like rear end in a top hat base 'getes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Downplaying the weird browline and playing up peak hubris mode was a good call imo, that first panel revealing the form was dire

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
That part where Vegeta dips out of Ultra Ego a bit and his eyebrows just instantly return feels so gross. It's like his eyebrow meat expands to cover his hair follicles.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

He got permission and they were able to use Urani Baba, who could bring people back to just fight and stuff like she did with Grandpa Gohan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan posted:

That part where Vegeta dips out of Ultra Ego a bit and his eyebrows just instantly return feels so gross. It's like his eyebrow meat expands to cover his hair follicles.

I can't wait for it to be animated and posted like the SSJ4 Vegeta gif.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kild posted:

Goku got 24 hours of ghost energy to play around with in the living dimension. SSJ3 and spending most of the day in serious fights used up Goku's ghost energy much faster than it would normally be consumed.

Like how Tien would use his own life force to fuel attacks, but with ghost juice.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also Cell is the only villain Goku had no direct connection to his defeat

Yeah, for Cell coming back to work, he would have to be a Gohan problem, and we all know Super isn't going to base a storyline around Gohan getting the win.

I would say that we'd see Android 21 in canon before we'd see Cell come back

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

I would be OK with this.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

we'd see cell with 21

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, for Cell coming back to work, he would have to be a Gohan problem, and we all know Super isn't going to base a storyline around Gohan getting the win.

I mean Toryiama is writing the outline so he could

But let’s be real there is a decent chance he doesn’t even remember Cell

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Aurora posted:

we'd see cell with 21

Maybe? I wouldn't mind if they did a modified version of FighterZ's storyline where they brought back a bunch of dead people that have been gone for a while, but I kinda feel like that if they did want 21 in they wouldn't bother.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, it's this more than anything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s the entire reason Lunch disappeared from the series after the first half outside of a cameo or two in vintage DBZ and possibly the end of the Buu saga (don’t remember if that appearance was in the manga or just the anime) after all

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

It’s the entire reason Lunch disappeared from the series after the first half outside of a cameo or two in vintage DBZ and possibly the end of the Buu saga (don’t remember if that appearance was in the manga or just the anime) after all

That appearance is anime-only. That said, Toriyama didn't forget about her at that time, the panel with 17 was meant to be Lunch, hence the nonsense of him remembering Goku's voice despite never meeting the guy (which Super would explain). The anime had more time so it just added both.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

amigolupus posted:

You just know Korin's toilet was clogged for weeks once Yajirobe finished digesting all those senzu beans he ate back then.

He has a toilet? I assume he'd just poop over the side.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

i recently read through the og dragon ball manga for the first time. it was kinda cool how fights were [for the most part] a bit more about using techniques creatively than just being "stronger than."

like if that had carried on, Cell could've potentially been a lot cooler. i know "fusions" weren't a thing back in the android saga, but cell is basically a proto "ultra" fusion between a lot of characters, so it would've been kinda neat to see him mix and match techniques, like say a "special beam kamehaha," instead of just making GBS threads our heroes' iconic moves right back at them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I give it an equal chance he actually remembers the guy, due to how many loving spots he had to draw and color in.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, OG Dragon Ball fights were amazing. Technique could actually beat raw power, especially in the tournament settings. They kind of went back to that with the Tournament of Power in Super since there was a no killing rule.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Remember when Roshi thought there was no way a Kamehameha could beat a Dodon Ray, a move never seen again after that one tournament?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Remember when Roshi thought there was no way a Kamehameha could beat a Dodon Ray, a move never seen again after that one tournament?

That was good for establishing that different ki blasts did different things even with equal power, before you started seeing finger rays and death balls and stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

New Leaf posted:

To be fair that was around the point when anyone for real enough could just no-sell a Kamehameha just by holding up a single hand. But yeah it feels silly that the Dodanpa never got used again, but then again the Special Giga Drill Breaker hardly ever got used. Or the Galick Gun. Or the move Gohan uses once that you’d really think would have become his signature technique cause it has “demon” in the name and is also the name of a member of Hawaiian royalty.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair that was around the point when anyone for real enough could just no-sell a Kamehameha just by holding up a single hand. But yeah it feels silly that the Dodanpa never got used again, but then again the Special Giga Drill Breaker hardly ever got used. Or the Galick Gun. Or the move Gohan uses once that you’d really think would have become his signature technique cause it has “demon” in the name and is also the name of a member of Hawaiian royalty.

Masenko is not the name of Hawaiian royalty, that's Kamehameha.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I thought it was 'an untrained Kamehameha can't beat Dodon Ray'.

Edit: which tbf sounds more like, a trained beam attack is stronger than an improvised one, rather than a general rule Dodonpa > Kamehameha.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 28, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Masenko is not the name of Hawaiian royalty, that's Kamehameha.

I know the Kamehameha is, but I thought I remembered someone saying that the Masenko was the same idea since Kamehameha is literally “Turtle Wave Destruction Blast” (or something like that) because it’s easy to do wordplay homonym stuff like that with Japanese characters. Guess I was wrong though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mmkay posted:

I thought it was 'an untrained Kamehameha can't beat Dodon Ray'.

Edit: which tbf sounds more like, a trained beam attack is stronger than an improvised one, rather than a general rule Dodonpa > Kamehameha.

Nah it's the Kamehameha can't beat the Dodon Ray. The reason being that it does not require much charging, and it's piercing rather then the Kamehameha's blasting, and just breaks right through it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Last Celebration posted:

I know the Kamehameha is, but I thought I remembered someone saying that the Masenko was the same idea since Kamehameha is literally “Turtle Wave Destruction Blast” (or something like that) because it’s easy to do wordplay homonym stuff like that with Japanese characters. Guess I was wrong though.

It's also one of Piccolo's techniques, a long forgotten one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most characters in Dragon Ball kinda have a tendency to get a bit Flanderised combat-wise with their signature moves. Even Goku ends up with more new forms that power up his signature moves than new ones or a wide variety. Super does seem to have made a bit of an effort to reverse that, like Piccolo remembering he can stretch (I wonder if the popularity of One Piece contributed there) and 17 getting basically a whole new moveset to differentiate him.

And the Masenko iirc is heavily implied to be something Gohan learned from Piccolo and uses in tribute to him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Not only does Piccolo remember he can stretch, during his fight with Gohan he uses one of his own severed arms as a floating Gundam bit/funnel to shoot Gohan in the back.

A real shame that in every other fight in the series he gets their approach is pretty much "Piccolo charges Ki for 5 minutes while Gohan fights the enemies until Piccolo nukes them".

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kanos posted:

Not only does Piccolo remember he can stretch, during his fight with Gohan he uses one of his own severed arms as a floating Gundam bit/funnel to shoot Gohan in the back.

A real shame that in every other fight in the series he gets their approach is pretty much "Piccolo charges Ki for 5 minutes while Gohan fights the enemies until Piccolo nukes them".

Yeah, a lot of Piccolo's recent fights just keep replicating the fight with Raditz without any of the actual stakes that made that fight good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah it's the Kamehameha can't beat the Dodon Ray. The reason being that it does not require much charging, and it's piercing rather then the Kamehameha's blasting, and just breaks right through it.

Exactly; it was the first piercing attack on the series as opposed to kamehameha being wide and explosive. We just got better piercing attacks like the finger beam and the makankosappo later on that replaced it, and the only beam vs beam battles were with people with the same kind of attacks after that (remember, Piccolo invented the makankosappo specifically to beat Goku after clashing with him).