Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dreylad posted:

isnt that the guy e bruenig suggested he stay away from her kids and a lot of people, including people on this very forum, got mad that she'd call someone a pedo

yah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol

https://twitter.com/WineJerk/status/1431716530899886081?s=20

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao holy poo poo

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit
The criticism of Bruenig at the same was mostly along the lines of "she called trans allies pedophiles, classic dogwhistle, mask off moment," but in hindsight she appears to be aiming her insult more precisely at the communications director of a literal pedophile cabal

e: Kind of ironic that the guy nominally defending the bodily autonomy of 12-year-olds was the one posting a dogwhistle, whereas Bruenig posted a direct insult that all her critics understood immediately and yet construed as a dogwhistle.

Danger Dog has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Aug 28, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol those spanking tweets are from an hour ago

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bruenigs keep winning

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol Noah Berlatsky writes at the Atlantic, they're now coworkers. Keep the kids away from him at the company picnic!

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

It's less salacious than the headline implies

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/style/modern-love-temporary-marriage-at-13.html

It's some kind of Muslim custom where a temporary marriage (religious ceremony only, not legal) allows her daughter's boyfriend's super strict, conservative parents to not flip their poo poo that he has a girlfriend.

Shias only, and yeah Mutah is I believe allowed by Twelver Shias. It’s a halal way to date.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

what does it mean to be "into" banking

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Danger Dog posted:

The criticism of Bruenig at the same was mostly along the lines of "she called trans allies pedophiles, classic dogwhistle, mask off moment," but in hindsight she appears to be aiming her insult more precisely at the communications director of a literal pedophile cabal

e: Kind of ironic that the guy nominally defending the bodily autonomy of 12-year-olds was the one posting a dogwhistle, whereas Bruenig posted a direct insult that all her critics understood immediately and yet construed as a dogwhistle.

that's kind of how you have to operate all the time in order to hate on the stuff she posts these days

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You are weirdly invested in whoever this is

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zokari posted:

pedophilia

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

Berlatsky and Bruenig both write for The Atlantic and wrote for WaPo. Bruenig just had a pretty long and prolific stint at the NYT. It's not weird for people itt to know who they are or be interested in their beef

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Danger Dog posted:

It's not weird for people itt to know who they are or be interested in their beef

Of course not, everyone here is a consenting adult.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jose posted:

lol those spanking tweets are from an hour ago

lmao

I welcome our newest mod

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Danger Dog posted:

Berlatsky and Bruenig both write for The Atlantic and wrote for WaPo. Bruenig just had a pretty long and prolific stint at the NYT. It's not weird for people itt to know who they are or be interested in their beef

and as people have pointed out this isn't remotely Berlatsky's first rodeo as Twitter Person of The Day, and he's spent the rest of his time spewing some of the most rancid shitlib takes imaginable, so even if you're unfamiliar with his professional work it's unsurprising he'd get a lot of "oh that fucker again" recognition

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1431608889452240902

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1431768622339444740?s=21

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The gaslighting New York Times

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Noah Berlatsky was for years one of the biggest voices of the "as a left winger, I believe Bernie must drop out now" type of warrenite journalism.

If you don't remember him he is the "Bernie attacking elites helps the wealthy" guy. Also the "Bernie's anti political correctness makes him like trump" guy.

If you've read the succ zone at all, he isn't quite at Sally Albright's level, but he is probably an Al Giordano level of horse shoe theory enthusiast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I ac talking about the other one. the one not working for the pedophile org

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

bruenig?

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

do you not want her name in your post history or what?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Why are you posting about a journalist in the media thread? :pwn:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Has anyone posted this Tom Friedman banger yet?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/opinion/afghanistan-us-taliban.html

quote:

As I watch events in Afghanistan unfold, I find myself trying to ignore all the commentary and longing instead to interview three people: President Lyndon Johnson, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Mohammed Zahir Shah, the last king of Afghanistan.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

I think most saw it by now but it never hurts to be reminded that the Pulitzer Prize shouldn't be taken seriously

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

yeah dude seems weirdly defensive if that weirdo.

guess it’s the natural result of getting really invested in media personalities

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

what i think is going on is that you don't like bruenig and are grasping at straws to poo poo on someone who does
the main piece of evidence is that you're calling someone writing 2 or 3 lines about nyt's columnists in the "let's poo poo on nyt (and other print media)" thread a weirdo and "invested"

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Aug 29, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

you can't even bring yourself to type L I Z B R U E N I G but it's other people who are too invested

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zokari posted:

rock hard whenever you foreclose on a home, deny a black person a loan, etc. etc.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1432046486494269442?s=20

big yikes

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
When will Senator Warren acknowledge the pedo tendencies of Liz Lads?

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1431979147459452934

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jeff! *click*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The creepy smile and the lovely hair doesn't help either. Wasn"t he a "feminist" writer at Playboy?

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Aug 30, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comms director for this

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1432251128566075392?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Please don't do tropes like this