Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

The point is, whining that "nazis are stealing words!" is stupid. Here are a bunch of words you can use that they can't:

progressive
universal
health
care
lgbtq rights
right to die
transgender with no -ed
social justice
pro-choice

Code can be called "degenerate". an algorithm can be called "degenerate". but if you want to call a human a "degenerate" in 2021, you are dogwhistling. it's as simple as that. there are 100 other words you could use instead, and if you land on that one, eyebrows will raise.

Post pics you dorks

that looks loving disgusting

also if i heard a politician talking about degenerates i would 100% assume he was signalling to the more nazi-ish members of the public, it's totally that sort of language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

did boyce loving kelley klassic himself lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shaggar posted:

idk i think you're the only one who can hear that particular whistle

nah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

idk i think you're the only one who can hear that particular whistle

i bet you don't know about 'cosmopolitan' either

language is important, try to keep up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
again, you're the only one who hears these

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i'm honestly not sure if you're doing a bit here or if the person who's been curiously comfortable with rural maine living for at least fifteen years is just dropping mask, but you're hiking uphill here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i guess you're bringing it back for them. idk why but you do you i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and we have our next nazi apologist

gj shags, way to cap off your posting career

https://i.imgur.com/811kxwf.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

The point is, whining that "nazis are stealing words!" is stupid. Here are a bunch of words you can use that they can't:

progressive
universal
health
care
lgbtq rights
right to die
transgender with no -ed
social justice
pro-choice

Code can be called "degenerate". an algorithm can be called "degenerate". but if you want to call a human a "degenerate" in 2021, you are dogwhistling. it's as simple as that. there are 100 other words you could use instead, and if you land on that one, eyebrows will raise.

all of those words are boring man and certainly not appropriate for ribbing each other with

a reality you’re missing out from this is that in 99% of the dealings I have in my life “degenerate”, isn’t dogwhistle.

but if keeping a mental list of words I can’t use on yospos is necessary to keep the peace, so be it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

the thing that’s most grating about this is that I don’t think for a second you actually believe shaggar is a
nazi apologist, but you’re prepared to say it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

the thing that’s most grating about this is that I don’t think for a second you actually believe shaggar is a
nazi apologist, but you’re prepared to say it

I literally do. You don't handwave away things like that if you're remotely politically conscious without being at least a quiet, meek friend of the fascists.

You didn't post a picture.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"well I haven't seen anyone use <insults nazis like to use> when calling for the disenfranchisement of vulnerable peoples so clearly you're the one with the problem :smuggo:" is certainly a hell of a defense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i haven't heard that "cosmopolitan" is a term we aren't supposed to use any more and i have to admit it is a little exhausting.

i assume it's something like this?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, me neither

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

gj shags, way to cap off your posting career

https://i.imgur.com/811kxwf.mp4

you're litterrally the only person ive ever heard claim these words mean what you claim they do

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"cosmopolitan" is a new one to me, I didn't know nazis could pronounce words with that many syllables

pic for the pic god

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

you're litterrally the only person ive ever heard claim these words mean what you claim they do

he isn‘t. you should listen to jonny here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maine_gov/status/1428902562615468036

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
pull up thread, pull up

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
me, at 4 this am:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

this fuckin owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you say cosmopolitan degenerates do they cancel each other out

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

echinopsis posted:

all of those words are boring man and certainly not appropriate for ribbing each other with

a reality you’re missing out from this is that in 99% of the dealings I have in my life “degenerate”, isn’t dogwhistle.

but if keeping a mental list of words I can’t use on yospos is necessary to keep the peace, so be it

oh, what are you referring to when you are discussing degenerates?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultravoices posted:

oh, what are you referring to when you are discussing degenerates?

people like myself? people who like to drink and do drugs instead of exercise or consider their future

e:tbh i don’t really “discuss” degenerates I just would call myself one

e:

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 29, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I literally do. You don't handwave away things like that if you're remotely politically conscious without being at least a quiet, meek friend of the fascists.

You didn't post a picture.

Where can I get this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

people like myself? people who like to drink and do drugs instead of exercise or consider their future

e:tbh i don’t really “discuss” degenerates I just would call myself one

e:

there are definitely two uses of the word. it does get used in a self-critical manner unrelated to fascism. especially, as you say, to refer to people who aren't necessarily all that classy (not a put down, i'm right there with you, brother)

but it also gets used by fascists, and it wouldn't surprise me to see that being the most resultant connotation on the internet

the united states holocaust memorial museum posted:

“Alien,” “Parasite,” “Degenerate”
In order to make Jewish persecution publicly palatable, Nazi propagandists branded Jews as a biological threat to Germany. Government-sponsored racist propaganda was widely distributed denouncing Jews as “alien,” and “parasitic,” and responsible for Germany’s cultural, political, and economic “degeneration.” These words had an enormous effect, creating an environment in which persecution and violence were acceptable. Students burned books by Jewish authors on pyres and purged works of art and music by Jews and others considered “un-German.” Much worse, Jews became less human in German eyes, and less worthy of society’s protection.

neonazis take note of this kind of language, and still employ it today for explicit purposes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

if you say cosmopolitan degenerates do they cancel each other out

the echimobile???

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Where can I get this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god now that takes me back

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the echimobile???

I wish lol. saw it this morning while going for a walk

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
yall spend too much time reading the internet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Sybil, googling some crazy poo poo to say

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is what peak performance looks like

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao