Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cerebral Bore

most of the guns in Turok 2 are really loving satisfying. The Mag 60 pistol and Shredder shotgun, especially the latter with explosive shells, are immensely satisfying. The standard Pulse Rifle has a great feel to it. And both the Grenade Launcher and TripleRocket Launcher are great. The Tek Bow is also great--that moment when you stick someone with a Tek arrow and get to enjoy that countdown screech before it detonates rules. Oh, and the Razor Wind is a murder chakram that turns Turok into the most violent warrior princess ever. s'good poo poo.

but the Cerebral Bore is so drat memorable that no one remembers anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Cerebral Bore is so good that Turok: Evolution tried to one up it with the Swarm Bore which launched five bores that target all limbs... but no on gave a poo poo because more doesn't equal better when it comes to a homing lobotomy missile.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you should all play quake champions

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

It's the spike launcher from F.E.A.R. actually

No actually its the spike launcher from Painkiller

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
It’s not FPS but one of my favorite weapons in a game was the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cracker King posted:

It’s not FPS but one of my favorite weapons in a game was the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank.

Wrong thread for speaking the absolute truth.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

calling online games esports as if being a sport would be a boost in prestige was dumb

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mescal posted:

calling online games esports as if being a sport would be a boost in prestige was dumb

They didn't just call it esports they copied sports (at least in my eyes as a none sports watcher). You got your idiot hype person who says nothing of worth but acts excited and energetic and may or may not know much of anything about the game. You have your blazers, I mean gotta look professional. That of course is assuming they fit, and the person wearing them acts/is comfortable in them.

Anyway they took a model with a proven track record and applied it to video games. It kind of works, I guess but doesn't exactly improve on the formula.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Luigi's mansion has always been pretty dull.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Yeah and it was especially weird with Mario in a blazer shouting commentary as you play

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah and it was especially weird with Mario in a blazer shouting commentary as you play

Annnd LUIGI IS GOING THROUGH THE DOOR what do you think this means Bob? Well Bill I think it's possible that this could set up Luigi to find more ghosts we'll have to see how the mansion responds to this further encroachment.

Where's my let's plays of sports? If video games can do sports things, sports should be able to do video game things.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 30, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Who the gently caress is Bob? Weird way to mistype Birdo (who everyone knows is Mario's side piece)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Who the gently caress is Bob? Weird way to mistype Birdo (who everyone knows is Mario's side piece)

It's a nickname two syllables is too much in the frantic world of Luigi's Mansion casting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Duck and Cover posted:

Annnd LUIGI IS GOING THROUGH THE DOOR what do you think this means Bob? Well Bill I think it's possible that this could set up Luigi to find more ghosts we'll have to see how the mansion responses to this further encroachment.

Where's my let's plays of sports? If video games can take sports things, sports should be able to take video game things.

Mic'd up players in sports is always a good time

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Zelda: Skyward Sword is garbage and has no right to exist, but somehow I feel this isn't an unpopular opinion.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

War Wizard posted:

Zelda: Skyward Sword is garbage and has no right to exist, but somehow I feel this isn't an unpopular opinion.

I bought it new and the mandatory Wii motion plus accessory. It's me, I'm the sucker. I made the garbage happen.

Groose is good though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The best video game weapon is the honk in untitled goose game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wrong, the best weapon is the newspaper in Paperboy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Serious "your own pets" erasure

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Cerebral Bore

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Cerebral Bore

my nickname in high school

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sally posted:

my nickname in high school

:five:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game after Breath of the Wild

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skyward sword more like "makes me bored" lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Removing gear degradation was the worst thing Fallout 4 did. If you had to keep repairing weapons and especially clothes, you'd keep changing it up. As it is you find one good suit and a few good weapons, and keep using them for the entire game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game after Breath of the Wild

I agree, in so far as if I thought the worst Zelda game was the best, the second worst Zelda game would therefore be the second best.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Removing gear degradation was the worst thing Fallout 4 did. If you had to keep repairing weapons and especially clothes, you'd keep changing it up. As it is you find one good suit and a few good weapons, and keep using them for the entire game.

Counterpoint: Item durability is some of the worst feeling mechanics to ever have 'tacked on' to a game. There are some games where it works since it's a fundamental part of the core loop (e.g. "you are on a leaky ship, keep stealing new ships before you sink"), but for the vast majority of cases it's just awful busywork. If your game would have been improved by its addition, your game must really fuckin suck.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the SaGa games have a pretty good take on durability. everything breaks eventually, and you can never repair anything. it gives value to powerful weapons, and paired with the limited inventory space and poor sell prices, it encourages you to just use them! you'll get more.

except for the chainsaw. there's only one of those but you knew that already

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ikanreed posted:

:hfive: Mario is Missing is the superior Luigi-starring game.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Fur20 posted:

the SaGa games have a pretty good take on durability. everything breaks eventually, and you can never repair anything. it gives value to powerful weapons, and paired with the limited inventory space and poor sell prices, it encourages you to just use them! you'll get more.

except for the chainsaw. there's only one of those but you knew that already

That’s not how most people use “one time items” or things that are good for just a few uses: they usually end up never getting used as the person’s brain goes “but what if I need it later?” And then end up handicapping themselves. It’s not satisfying at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Popoto posted:

That’s not how most people use “one time items” or things that are good for just a few uses: they usually end up never getting used as the person’s brain goes “but what if I need it later?” And then end up handicapping themselves. It’s not satisfying at all.

Rise of the Triad is the only game I can think of where it works well. You can't hoard powerful weapons because you can only carry one at a time, so you actually have to use it or lose it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure Birdo is dating Yoshi, they are Nintendo's genderqueer power couple

Popoto posted:

It's a big problem in JRPGs in particular where items are basically siloed off from the rest of the mechanics and often vague about what exactly they do. And usually barely worth it compared to just using your standard and special attacks- or so powerful that they go straight in the 'but what if I need it later' box and you get the near-universal experience of fighting the final boss with an inventory loaded with an entire game's worth of items.

RPGs in general have big issues with that, I think they expect players to experiment a lot more than any actually do, especially when you can generally get by just focusing on the core mechanics rather than mucking about with status effects (that all enemies they might be worth using on are immune to)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Birdo is dating Yoshi, they are Nintendo's genderqueer power couple

It's a big problem in JRPGs in particular where items are basically siloed off from the rest of the mechanics and often vague about what exactly they do. And usually barely worth it compared to just using your standard and special attacks- or so powerful that they go straight in the 'but what if I need it later' box and you get the near-universal experience of fighting the final boss with an inventory loaded with an entire game's worth of items.

RPGs in general have big issues with that, I think they expect players to experiment a lot more than any actually do, especially when you can generally get by just focusing on the core mechanics rather than mucking about with status effects (that all enemies they might be worth using on are immune to)

For a subversion of the above check out Lisa, a genuinely hard RPG that mechanically punishes hoarding. Content warning on the story, though, so watch out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's also a reason why inventory space and encumbrance can actually be useful, because there's a reason to use stuff not long after you get it to make room for new stuff, and an opportunity cost to carrying equipment.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

For a subversion of the above check out Lisa, a genuinely hard RPG that mechanically punishes hoarding. Content warning on the story, though, so watch out.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's also a reason why inventory space and encumbrance can actually be useful, because there's a reason to use stuff not long after you get it to make room for new stuff, and an opportunity cost to carrying equipment.

I appreciate the limited inventory in the Dragon Quest and Mother games, although I think it works best in Mother 3 where key items are kept in a separate inventory from the consumables. Each character having their own inventories does add a lot of busywork shuffling items back and forth and limits how useful they can be in battle though. You can only carry one Leaf of the World Tree so better hope the person who has it doesn't die.

Not only is there a character that calls you out for hoarding items in Mother 3, but there are too many unique items for you to actually carry. You bet I still kept my Pasta-with-a-Past to the credits.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if your game has a limited inventory it better have a really limited inventory.

"I can only carry 5 swords, should I drop the sword of goblin-slaying or the sword of fire" can be an interesting decision.
"I've been ignoring inventory limits for the past 7 hours but now I suddenly hit it and have to scroll through 250 different kinds of crafting ingredients to figure out which ones are heaviest and which ones are least likely to be useful later on" is absolute hell on earth.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"I've been ignoring inventory limits for the past 7 hours but now I suddenly hit it and have to scroll through 250 different kinds of crafting ingredients to figure out which ones are heaviest and which ones are least likely to be useful later on" is absolute hell on earth.

This has as much to do w/ bad inventory mechanics as it does the bad loot/economy mechanics that require you to scavenge 10,000 swords, carry them to town and sell them to pay for things you actually need

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serephina posted:

you are on a leaky ship, keep stealing new ships before you sink

That seems like the Worst Game Ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That seems like the Worst Game Ever.

I dunno, can be fun in GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

poverty goat posted:

This has as much to do w/ bad inventory mechanics as it does the bad loot/economy mechanics that require you to scavenge 10,000 swords, carry them to town and sell them to pay for things you actually need

Gotta love that Skyrim economy where a pile of swords will not even buy you a days worth of food or a health potion